Sockinchisox
07-26-2008, 02:28 PM
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/07/indians_acquire_anthony_reyes.html

Optipessimism
07-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Aw ****, I wanted Kenny to get him... :whiner:

getonbckthr
07-26-2008, 02:33 PM
He is a guy I always wished the Sox could have gotten cheap and now it appears Cleveland got him for nothing.:angry:

ViPeRx007
07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I thought the Cards were pretty high on this guy. I guess I've been out of the loop.

:scratch:

Sockinchisox
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I thought the Cards were pretty high on this guy. I guess I've been out of the loop.

:scratch:

They got fed up with him pretty much last season.

Optipessimism
07-26-2008, 02:41 PM
...which is strange for a team that goes after such luminaries as Sidney Ponson, Jeff Weaver, Kyle Lohse (who is having a good year surprisingly), Ryan Franklin, Joel Pineiro, and the list goes on...

At least Anthony Reyes as ace potential if he ever puts it together.

ChiSoxGirl
07-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Isn't this the guy who almost no-hit the Sox in June 2006, save a Jim Thome solo homerun for the 1-0 Sox win?

BadBobbyJenks
07-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Isn't this the guy who almost no-hit the Sox in June 2006, save a Jim Thome solo homerun for the 1-0 Sox win?

That would be him.

I like his socks, but other than that:shrug:

tstrike2000
07-26-2008, 03:12 PM
That would be him.

I like his socks, but other than that:shrug:

Or the fact that he irons the brim of his cap straight.

ChiSoxGirl
07-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Or the fact that he irons the brim of his cap straight.

I was going to include the tidbit about the brim of his cap was as flat as an ironing board in my original post. Thanks for picking up the slack!

soltrain21
07-26-2008, 03:22 PM
They brought up Andy Gonzalez as well. The push is on.

thomas35forever
07-26-2008, 03:27 PM
I was at that game. Best Sox game I've been to.

ChiSoxGirl
07-26-2008, 03:35 PM
I was at that game. Best Sox game I've been to.

I was there, too, but I can't classify it as the best Sox game I've ever been to. I've got so many others to choose from- World Series Game 1, Opening Night 2006, Ring Ceremony, Thome's 500th, Opening Day 2008, TCQ's walk-off on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, etc. :wink: My Sox resume is filled with epic Sox game.

PaleHoser
07-26-2008, 04:32 PM
They brought up Andy Gonzalez as well.

Wow, I'm stunned. I guess this means that Andy Marte was not the stud that Atlanta/Boston/Cleveland thought he was going to be.

I need to hire Gonzalez's agent.

JermaineDye05
07-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Didn't this guy throw a no-no against us through 7 innings in 06?

Foulke You
07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
They brought up Andy Gonzalez as well. The push is on.
Well that settles it. The '08 Indians are now officially the '07 White Sox. Injuries to several key players of the starting nine? Check. Bad bullpen? Check. Down years for healthy veterans still on the club? Check. Andy Gonzalez? Check. Contending team to AL Central cellar? Check. All we need now is for them to pick up Ryan Bukvich and Luis Terrero and they are set.

Daver
07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
At one time Angel Gonzalez was one of the best shorstops in the Sox farm system, I have no idea what happened in his head to cause him to forget the basics of baseball.

cws05champ
07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I talked with the Minor league pitching director for the Cardinals today. He was sitting right in front of me scouting the High A Palm Beach Cards down here. He said Pitching coach Dave Duncan and Reyes did not see eye to eye, and that he had to go. Thought I'd pass it along...

Tragg
07-26-2008, 10:27 PM
That's a Williamsesque pickup. Pick up a failed top prospect from another team cheap.
Reyes was St Louis' top prospect and top pitching prospect for a couple of years..

jabrch
07-26-2008, 10:39 PM

That was one of my favorite regular season games I ever went to. Quite a masterfully pitched game by both teams.

Zisk77
07-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Reyes either couldn't or wouldn't throw the sinker or both. So duncan et. al. got fed up with him.

ChiSoxGirl
07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
I talked with the Minor league pitching director for the Cardinals today. He was sitting right in front of me scouting the High A Palm Beach Cards down here. He said Pitching coach Dave Duncan and Reyes did not see eye to eye, and that he had to go. Thought I'd pass it along...

You were at Roger Dean Stadium today? Isn't it awesome?! I love it down in that part of Florida. Anyway, I digress. I posted some behind-the-scenes pictures from my unrestricted access ballpark tour last week in the "Other Parks" gallery, if you're interested.

cws05champ
07-27-2008, 10:30 AM
You were at Roger Dean Stadium today? Isn't it awesome?! I love it down in that part of Florida. Anyway, I digress. I posted some behind-the-scenes pictures from my unrestricted access ballpark tour last week in the "Other Parks" gallery, if you're interested.
I was there last night for the Cards/Manatee's game...It's a really nice MiL park.

patbooyah
07-27-2008, 12:05 PM

Yes, this is essentially true. Duncan wanted Reyes to make changes to his style of pitching so that he'd pitch low in the zone and induce more groundballs. Reyes sees himself as a $trikeout pitcher, and didn't take kindly to Duncan's advice.

You kind of have to scroll down in this article (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/0CC52FE90F73636E86257418001216EB?OpenDocument), but you can see that Duncan didn't exactly like Reyes' refusal to turn himself into a groundball pitcher. Reyes had a nice spring training outing, and Duncan basically said that he was helped by the wind, and that Odalis Perez did just as well. Not exactly "I dig this guy" quotes.

It should be interesting to see how Reyes does in Cleveland.

I missed you guys.

South Side Irish
07-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, this is essentially true. Duncan wanted Reyes to make changes to his style of pitching so that he'd pitch low in the zone and induce more groundballs. Reyes sees himself as a $trikeout pitcher, and didn't take kindly to Duncan's advice.

You kind of have to scroll down in this article (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/0CC52FE90F73636E86257418001216EB?OpenDocument), but you can see that Duncan didn't exactly like Reyes' refusal to turn himself into a groundball pitcher. Reyes had a nice spring training outing, and Duncan basically said that he was helped by the wind, and that Odalis Perez did just as well. Not exactly "I dig this guy" quotes.

It should be interesting to see how Reyes does in Cleveland.

I missed you guys.

As a Cards fan, I'm bummed that they gave up on the guy. Wouldn't have won the WS without him. Or that Detroit D. :redneck

As a Sox fan, I'm scared to death that he can figure his **** out and become a lights-out pitcher as he once was.

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2008, 12:38 AM
I was there last night for the Cards/Manatee's game...It's a really nice MiL park.

Absolutely! I totally loved every part of it- inside, out, and even behind-the-scenes. :wink: It's only ten years old, so it'll likely be around for a long time.

Was there a nice turnout last night? I was at the Hammerheads game on the 17th and there were only like 500 people who came out- no joke. Maybe that's because it was a Thursday night, but my friend who works in the Press Box said that small crowds like that are pretty normal; the big draw is in Spring Training (for obvious reasons).

cws05champ
07-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Absolutely! I totally loved every part of it- inside, out, and even behind-the-scenes. :wink: It's only ten years old, so it'll likely be around for a long time.

Was there a nice turnout last night? I was at the Hammerheads game on the 17th and there were only like 500 people who came out- no joke. Maybe that's because it was a Thursday night, but my friend who works in the Press Box said that small crowds like that are pretty normal; the big draw is in Spring Training (for obvious reasons).
Yeh..it wasn't a large crowd, and it was dog night at the park as well....and a good game to boot (2-1 Cards win in the 9th). There was probably around 750 last night....seems like they should draw more with the area surrounding the stadium.

Iwritecode
07-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I missed you guys.

:welcome:

:)

ChiSoxGirl
07-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Yeh..it wasn't a large crowd, and it was dog night at the park as well....and a good game to boot (2-1 Cards win in the 9th). There was probably around 750 last night....seems like they should draw more with the area surrounding the stadium.

Oh, sounds like a great game! I'm still disappointed that the Hammerheads game I went to was rained out after 1 1/3 innings, but maybe part of that is because it cut short my experience of watching a game from the Press Box and playing some of the ballpark's music. :wink:

There's a ton to do around Roger Dean Stadium, particularly in that Abacoa Center just south (I think) of the ballpark with the likes of Jumby Bay, Rooney's, etc. Did you hit any of that area up? If so, what'd you think? Where are you staying down in West Palm Beach (or do yo live down there)?

cws05champ
07-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Oh, sounds like a great game! I'm still disappointed that the Hammerheads game I went to was rained out after 1 1/3 innings, but maybe part of that is because it cut short my experience of watching a game from the Press Box and playing some of the ballpark's music. :wink:

There's a ton to do around Roger Dean Stadium, particularly in that Abacoa Center just south (I think) of the ballpark with the likes of Jumby Bay, Rooney's, etc. Did you hit any of that area up? If so, what'd you think? Where are you staying down in West Palm Beach (or do yo live down there)?
I live down here in Boca Raton....did not hit much of the area around the stadium, with a 5 yr old and an 18 month old it's tough. If you get down again PM me.