PDA

View Full Version : WEEI - Red Sox trying to trade Manny before deadlne

Fenway
07-26-2008, 12:37 PM
According to both Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal and Steve Buckley of the Boston Herald Red Sox owner John Henry has told Theo to trade Manny now. The team has decided that they will not pick up the 20M option for next year and has also decided that they want no part of a moody Manny for the final 2 months just as they decided that Nomar had to go 4 years ago.

Manny is still fuming that he got fined 3 weeks ago for throwing the 64 year old traveling secretary to the floor in Texas and since then his antics have been suspect.

Last night was the final straw when he took himself out of the lineup against the Yankees saying his knee was hurting even though the MRI showed nothing wrong.

The fans want him gone as well. Just tune in to www.weei.com to get a sample of how the fanbase is reacting.

Wonder if KW would take him...

scarsofthumper
07-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Keep him away from our clubhouse.

Medford Bobby
07-26-2008, 12:41 PM
How 'bout a trade to the Dodgers for Derek Lowe?:o:

RKMeibalane
07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
According to both Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal and Steve Buckley of the Boston Herald Red Sox owner John Henry has told Theo to trade Manny now. The team has decided that they will not pick up the 20M option for next year and has also decided that they want no part of a moody Manny for the final 2 months just as they decided that Nomar had to go 4 years ago.

Manny is still fuming that he got fined 3 weeks ago for throwing the 64 year old traveling secretary to the floor in Texas and since then his antics have been suspect.

Last night was the final straw when he took himself out of the lineup against the Yankees saying his knee was hurting even though the MRI showed nothing wrong.

The fans want him gone as well. Just tune in to www.weei.com (http://www.weei.com) to get a sample of how the fanbase is reacting.

They should trade him to the Pirates. He'll never see first place again.

getonbckthr
07-26-2008, 12:56 PM
What would we need to give up?

ViPeRx007
07-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Like RKMeibalane, I'd like to see how he'd react to being on a team that hovers around the Mendoza line consistently.

I can't really see them trading him though. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a team that's in a playoff race to trade one of their best hitters, though I suppose they'd get a pretty good return on him.

ChiSoxIn06
07-26-2008, 01:15 PM
um where would he play?

eriqjaffe
07-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Wonder if KW would take him...I'm pretty sure that KW would rather fix his own team's problems.

Fenway
07-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Like RKMeibalane, I'd like to see how he'd react to being on a team that hovers around the Mendoza line consistently.

I can't really see them trading him though. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a team that's in a playoff race to trade one of their best hitters, though I suppose they'd get a pretty good return on him.

Francona finally has thrown Manny under the train. There was a play in Anaheim a week ago where Manny played a pop fly into a triple by SITTING on the ball and the feeling exists he did that deliberately.

The past off-season saw Scott Boras lose many clients because of the A-Rod fiasco and Manny was one of a handful that became a Boras client.

The incident with the traveling secretary really changed the perception of Manny Being Manny. Then his sitting out last night in a 1-0 loss to New York just is too much for even the Pink Hats to stomach.

Of course Manny could decide to play today in the FOX game or tomorrow night in the ESPN game and have a monster day at the plate and fans will cheer him. But I think Francona wants him out of here and that has never been the case before.

palehozenychicty
07-26-2008, 01:34 PM
If the Dodgers had any clue, they should give up Kemp and a couple AA pitchers for Manny.

Optipessimism
07-26-2008, 01:35 PM
LOL

I hope they keep Manny and he tears that team apart from the inside out. Just leave non-players out of it. If we get the Red Sox in the playoffs I'd love nothing more than a disgruntled Manny Ramirez refusing to catch flyballs in LF.

Optipessimism
07-26-2008, 01:37 PM
If the Dodgers had any clue, they should give up Kemp and a couple AA pitchers for Manny.
:o:

Yeah, give up your future All-Star who you control cheaply for years to come for a clubhouse cancer who wants $20+ million per year longterm until his legs fall off. Smart move for the Dodgers...

munchman33
07-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I hope they do manage to trade Manny, and to the National League. He might be an ass, but the Red Sox are a MUCH better team with Manny.

ViPeRx007
07-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Francona finally has thrown Manny under the train. There was a play in Anaheim a week ago where Manny played a pop fly into a triple by SITTING on the ball and the feeling exists he did that deliberately.

The past off-season saw Scott Boras lose many clients because of the A-Rod fiasco and Manny was one of a handful that became a Boras client.

The incident with the traveling secretary really changed the perception of Manny Being Manny. Then his sitting out last night in a 1-0 loss to New York just is too much for even the Pink Hats to stomach.

Of course Manny could decide to play today in the FOX game or tomorrow night in the ESPN game and have a monster day at the plate and fans will cheer him. But I think Francona wants him out of here and that has never been the case before.

Any indications where he'd go? It would almost have to be an NL team in a race I would think.

Mets? St. Louis?

hawkjt
07-26-2008, 01:40 PM
PK for Manny? kidding.

If I had to predict I think the matchups in the playoffs have a good chance of being exactly the same as in 05:

Sox vs Red Sox
Yanks vs Angels.

So...I am fine with the Red Sox imploding.

Fenway
07-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Any indications where he'd go? It would almost have to be an NL team in a race I would think.

Mets? St. Louis?

Mets would be a very likely destination.

IF Boston has already decided against picking up the option for 2009 which from all accounts is the case it makes some sense to try and move him now especially since his commitment to winning in Boston is suspect.

Obviously the Red Sox want to win it all this year but they are not desperate to win anymore. I could also see the Cubs kicking the tires as the Tribune would love that team to win before the sale as their value would skyrocket (see Boston 2004)

Theo is not stupid and if he can get some decent bodies for him now it beats getting nothing when they let him go after the season.

Can Boston still win without Manny? Yes though it would be harder.

This will be an interesting week.

Sockinchisox
07-26-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/26/now_hes_a_guaranteed_out/

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't think TLR would want Manny Ramirez anywhere near the Cardinal clubhouse.

Fenway
07-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Manny has decided to play this afternoon.

Will be very interesting to see fan reaction for first at-bat.

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Manny has decided to play this afternoon.

Will be very interesting to see fan reaction for first at-bat.

Are Buck & McCarver doing the game?

Noneck
07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
He won't go anywhere this year except back in the blowsox lovers hearts. They are the only group that truly deserves him.

FourStarsTwoBars
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
What would we need to give up?

Our dignity?

Fenway
07-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Are Buck & McCarver doing the game?

They are.

Game is going to 85 percent of the US. Just Philadelphia and Atlanta regions not getting game.

getonbckthr
07-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Our dignity?
Bottom line is to win. If we could find a hole for him in our lineup you add him if you could.

DSpivack
07-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Bottom line is to win. If we could find a hole for him in our lineup you add him if you could.

Even so, where would he play? LF has Quentin, RF has Dye, and DH has Thome. All three are hitting well.

DSpivack
07-26-2008, 02:49 PM

IF Boston has already decided against picking up the option for 2009 which from all accounts is the case it makes some sense to try and move him now especially since his commitment to winning in Boston is suspect.

Obviously the Red Sox want to win it all this year but they are not desperate to win anymore. I could also see the Cubs kicking the tires as the Tribune would love that team to win before the sale as their value would skyrocket (see Boston 2004)

Theo is not stupid and if he can get some decent bodies for him now it beats getting nothing when they let him go after the season.

How about the Yankees? :tongue:

getonbckthr
07-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Even so, where would he play? LF has Quentin, RF has Dye, and DH has Thome. All three are hitting well.
Maybe i'm crazy maybe i'm not. Quentin or Dye land you Cain, Lincecum or Halladay?

Viva Medias B's
07-26-2008, 02:56 PM
How about the Yankees? :tongue:

Considering that Manny could be just the thing to destroy the Yankee clubhouse, the Red Sox giving him to them would not be all that far fetched. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Craig Grebeck
07-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Maybe i'm crazy maybe i'm not. Quentin or Dye land you Cain, Lincecum or Halladay?
Not on this planet.

Optipessimism
07-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Not on this planet.
You wouldn't at least do Cain for Quentin?

Quentin > Cain

...and I'd take him over Lincecum too.

Halladay is the only one better than Quentin IMO, but if Halladay wants out, and in the crazy world where KW would give up Quentin for him, we'd have him no prob.

DSpivack
07-26-2008, 03:42 PM
You wouldn't at least do Cain for Quentin?

Quentin > Cain

...and I'd take him over Lincecum too.

Halladay is the only one better than Quentin IMO, but if Halladay wants out, and in the crazy world where KW would give up Quentin for him, we'd have him no prob.

Trading either of our two best hitters?

No thanks.

soltrain21
07-26-2008, 03:43 PM

I'm no longer a Sox fan if we trade TCQ.

whitesox901
07-26-2008, 04:12 PM

put down the bottle

Domeshot17
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
I love TCQ, he has been the soul of this team, but if we were offered Tim Lincecum for him straight up and we turned it down, Kenny should be fired.

35 HR hitting corner OF aren't hard to find. Not that Carlos isn't becoming part of the top of that list, but a power hitting Corner OF changes hands ever year at the trade deadline, you can find one anytime you want one.

A front line, young, early 20s ace who is dominating already at the big league level, those come along once every 8-9 years.

getonbckthr
07-26-2008, 04:33 PM
So let me get this straight you guys wouldn't take Tim Lincecum (11-3 2.79 ERA on the SF Giants) who is 24 years old and about 5 more years of team control over Carlos Quentin? I love TCQ but pitching, pitching, pitching. Add in the fact the post was made in connection with a move of the Sox getting Manny. So basically something like Sox get Manny and Lincecum for TCQ, Fields, Poreda,____ and ____. Oh ok?

gobears1987
07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Keep him away from our clubhouse.
If Manny pulled any ****, I think AJ or Ozzie would rightfully deck his sorry ass.

Adele_H
07-26-2008, 05:08 PM

The fans want him gone as well. Just tune in to www.weei.com (http://www.weei.com) to get a sample of how the fanbase is reacting.

Thome + somebody for Manny would work if Ortiz wasn't coming back and they didn't have both Lowell/Youk.

So...

PaleHoser
07-26-2008, 05:26 PM
If Manny pulled any ****, I think AJ or Ozzie would rightfully deck his sorry ass.

I'd pay good money to get front row seats to see Ozzie tear into him. I'd also pay for Manny's haircut.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't think TLR would want Manny Ramirez anywhere near the Cardinal clubhouse.
He was willing to take a chance on Bonds earlier in the year, I think he'd take a gamble on Manny too.

As for Manny on the White Sox, no, we don't need him. We have enough one dimensional hitters in this lineup, Manny is a fantastic hitter, but offensively the one thing we could really use is a leadoff guy and Manny ain't that. Plus, as has been mentioned earlier Ozzie and AJ wouldn't tolerate him. And there are two other guys who wouldn't like him: Buerhle and Paulie, in spite of all of Paulie's struggles he and Buerhle are the oldest members of the Sox in that clubhouse and clubhouse leaders respectively.

cards press box
07-26-2008, 05:52 PM
According to both Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal and Steve Buckley of the Boston Herald Red Sox owner John Henry has told Theo to trade Manny now.

Why? What need of the White Sox would Manny Ramirez address? The White Sox are more than set at LF and DH with Carlos Quention and Jim Thome.

I don't expect the White Sox to do much before the trade deadline. Maybe a backup infielder, a reliever or a 3rd baseman (if Crede's injury keeps him sidelined for a long period.) If the Sox were to make a blockbuster deal, I would expect it to be for a frontline starting pitcher. Having said that, I cannot imagine who that pitcher would be, unless Toronto puts Roy Halladay on the market. And, anyway, I don't think Toronto would exactly give Halladay away for nothing.

Daver
07-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Thome + somebody for Manny would work if Ortiz wasn't coming back and they didn't have both Lowell/Youk.

So...

Thome can't be traded.

forrestg
07-26-2008, 11:17 PM
I watched Mannie today hit a flyball and not run to first. Manny is talented but the red sox manager nor anyone else can control him. I have an additional question: there was a man on first when the fly was hit to the the left fielder since it was in the outfield would the infield fly rule prevail or could the outfielder kind of accidentally on purpose drop the ball throw to second and then throw manny out at first..

Tragg
07-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I hope they do manage to trade Manny, and to the National League. and get very little in return.

Tragg
07-26-2008, 11:26 PM
So let me get this straight you guys wouldn't take Tim Lincecum (11-3 2.79 ERA on the SF Giants) who is 24 years old and about 5 more years of team control over Carlos Quentin? I love TCQ but pitching, pitching, pitching. Add in the fact the post was made in connection with a move of the Sox getting Manny. So basically something like Sox get Manny and Lincecum for TCQ, Fields, Poreda,____ and ____. Oh ok?
TCQ for Lincecum is in an interesting question. It's sort of like the Reds trade of Hamilton. hitters play every day. In general, 1 hitter > 1 pitcher, imo.
But giving every young player the Sox have for Ramirez is just silly.
Boston isn't getting much for Manny Ramirez, if they trade him. He's a pain in the ass with a bad contract.

A. Cavatica
07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
In general, 1 hitter > 1 pitcher, imo.

There's no question that a good starter is worth more than a good position player.

Take any five-day stretch. Let's say the position player averages 4.5 plate appearances a game; call it 23 for the five days.

The starter makes one start. Let's say he goes six and gives up five baserunners; that's 23 batters faced. But he could just as easily go seven and give up eight baserunners; that would be 29 batters faced.

Look at the numbers over the course of a season and you'll see that the league leader in plate appearances is involved in fewer hitter/pitcher faceoffs than the league leader in batters faced.

The hitter is in a position to affect the outcome of five games, but the pitcher's effect on the outcome of his one start is even greater. A good pitcher wins games singlehandedly fairly often. A good hitter wins games singlehandedly much less often.

Optipessimism
07-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Trading either of our two best hitters?

No thanks.
I wouldn't either. I wouldn't trade Quentin for anyone right now. He looks to be the cornerstone of the franchise. The comment was in response to the previous poster who acted like Quentin isn't worth an ace.

I was making the argument that if you were Sabean and were offered Quentin for either Cain or Lincecum, why would you back off? If that was me I'd send Cain out FedEx if I had to. He's a good pitcher with big upside, but he's not worth Quentin. Lincecum is the only one I'd think about, but I'd send him out straight up for Quentin because his delivery scares me. But other people would have different opinions.

And if Halladay was on the market, and KW was prepared to give up Quentin, he'd be ours in no time because no team in baseball would match that. Young MVP/Cy Young candidates under team control cheaply for years just don't get traded. Hell, you rarely ever see prospects as big as Kershaw get traded.

The closest you see to a young superstar making the league minimum getting traded is the kind of deals like the Hamilton-for-Volquez swap over the offseason. Hamilton had been a platoon player who performed well coming back from years away from baseball spent dealing with drug problems while Volquez was a guy who hadn't found success in previous shots at the big leagues and maybe needed a change of scenery. Both had extremely high ceilings, but it wasn't like the deal at the time was young MVP candidate for young Cy Young candidate. It easily could have ended up quite differently. It was high risk/high reward for both sides.

Optipessimism
07-27-2008, 01:28 AM

So...
As Daver said, he has a NTC. Still, Thome is a fan favorite here and he's been contributing quite a bit lately. Why trade him now when he's hot for a guy who will inevitably piss off the fans and upset the manager? Besides, you know KW wouldn't put up with that kind of crap from Manny.

Edit: and you also end up taking a major LH bat out of the lineup. The Sox needed a big lefty bat for a while and as soon as they lose the one they have, they'll have to replace it with another. You don't want every pitcher facing righties all the way through except for AJ and sometimes Swisher.

jabrch
07-27-2008, 01:32 AM

Why give up Kemp for a guy you very well can sign as a FA for less money than his current contract this offseason? And the last place you want Manny is in a big OF like Chavez Ravine. I highly doubt he ends up a Dodger. He needs to go somewhere that needs a DH and a big bat. If Tampa weren't in the same division as Boston, that would be a great fit.

jabrch
07-27-2008, 01:34 AM

Not Lincecum for sure. He's really not available. Maybe CQ gets you Cain - but I don't know if I'd do that or not. And Halladay is not available.

WSox597
07-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Just think about where the Sox would be without Carlos Quentin this year.

Maybe that will put a damper on trade Quentin ideas. The man has carried this team for most of this year.

I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone I'd trade him for, especially a buttwipe like Manny.

Red Barchetta
07-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Jerry Manuel could not manage Frank Thomas' ego. I can't imagine he would do any better with Manny Ramirez.

Tekijawa
07-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Or the Cubs

jabrch
07-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Or the Cubs

That would be a Hendry move - with Soriano already only able to play LF, he'd go get another guy who can (equally as poorly) only play LF. No...I don't see it.

gobears1987
07-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Jerry Manuel could not manage Frank Thomas' ego. I can't imagine he would do any better with Manny Ramirez.
I'm sorry, but Jerry was the ****tard in that situation. The ******* thought Frank was faking his broken foot. **** Jerry Manuel for the way he treated a Sox legend.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry, but Jerry was the ****tard in that situation. The ******* thought Frank was faking his broken foot. **** Jerry Manuel for the way he treated a Sox legend.

It wasn't just Thomas. Manuel seems to have problems dealing with talented players, in general. I seem to remember him jerking Buehrle and Foulke around quite a bit. There was also his ongoing psychological war with Jon Garland. It's a miracle that Garland didn't fall to pieces, given The Tinkerer's handling of him.

Shortly after taking over for Randolph, he also had a brief spat with Jose Reyes, though given how obnoxious Jose is, even the most easy-going manager in baseball would eventually want to slap him.

:jerry

"Anyone who disagrees with me just doesn't understand baseball."

Fenway
07-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Sean McAdam just added sme info on Theo's mindset.

If the Red Sox simply do not pick up the option on Manny and he signs with someone else they would get a first round AND a sandwich pick.

Meanwhile Manny has told ESPN he will not veto a trade and sources say Theo is working on a deal with the Mets.

Certainly worked out well for them with Pedro.

Boston desperately needs a win tonight to prevent a sweep and it doesn't get any easier with Anaheim next at Fenway. However it might be a long night at the park as heavy rain is heading into the city.

But the big problem is how much of a cancer in that clubhouse.

Foulke You
07-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Sean McAdam just added sme info on Theo's mindset.

If the Red Sox simply do not pick up the option on Manny and he signs with someone else they would get a first round AND a sandwich pick.

Meanwhile Manny has told ESPN he will not veto a trade and sources say Theo is working on a deal with the Mets.

Certainly worked out well for them with Pedro.

Boston desperately needs a win tonight to prevent a sweep and it doesn't get any easier with Anaheim next at Fenway. However it might be a long night at the park as heavy rain is heading into the city.

But the big problem is how much of a cancer in that clubhouse.
I'm surprised the Red Sox are willing to part with Manny. I realize he is a complete tool and a clubhouse distraction but how is that any different than his previous years with the club? With Ortiz still coming back from that injury, losing Manny would leave a big hole in that Red Sox lineup. I would think Theo would have to have some other deal lined up to add a big bat to replace him. Jason Bay or Raul Ibanez maybe?:?: BTW, Fens, who on the Mets are the Red Sox reportedly after?

Frater Perdurabo
07-27-2008, 05:46 PM
With Ortiz still coming back from that injury, losing Manny would leave a big hole in that Red Sox lineup. I would think Theo would have to have some other deal lined up to add a big bat to replace him. Jason Bay or Raul Ibanez maybe?:?: BTW, Fens, who on the Mets are the Red Sox reportedly after?

Four-way trade!

Manny to the Mets.
Carlos Beltran to the White Sox.
Paul Konerko and Orlando Cabrera to the Angels.
Garrett Anderson to the Red Sox.

Mets: Manny to LF, Fernando Tatis from LF to RF. Endy Chavez from RF to CF.
Sox: Beltran to CF, Swisher to 1B, Uribe to SS
Angels: Paulie to DH, Cabrera to SS, Gary Matthews Jr. to LF
Red Sox: Garrett Anderson replaces Manny in LF

Maybe a few other players have to change hands to make it all even out. But this certainly could be the basis for a deal that could help all four teams.

getonbckthr
07-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Four-way trade!

Manny to the Mets.
Carlos Beltran to the White Sox.
Paul Konerko and Orlando Cabrera to the Angels.
Garrett Anderson to the Red Sox.

Mets: Manny to LF, Fernando Tatis from LF to RF. Endy Chavez from RF to CF.
Sox: Beltran to CF, Swisher to 1B, Uribe to SS
Angels: Paulie to DH, Cabrera to SS, Gary Matthews Jr. to LF
Red Sox: Garrett Anderson replaces Manny in LF

Maybe a few other players have to change hands to make it all even out. But this certainly could be the basis for a deal that could help all four teams.
You could be onto something. They could just do Manny for Beltran.

DSpivack
07-27-2008, 05:54 PM
You could be onto something. They could just do Manny for Beltran.

That would be idiotic on the Mets part, but then again, it is the Mets.

getonbckthr
07-27-2008, 05:58 PM
That would be idiotic on the Mets part, but then again, it is the Mets.
Beltran is pretty over paid for what he has been producing.

DSpivack
07-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Beltran is pretty over paid for what he has been producing.

But to give him up for an impending free agent and headcase?

getonbckthr
07-27-2008, 06:11 PM
But to give him up for an impending free agent and headcase?
He's not a free agent for 2 more seasons if the Mets wish to pick up the options.

DSpivack
07-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Doesn't look like (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/27/mets.manny/index.html)the Mets will be the destination. Philly? Anaheim?

Foulke You
07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Doesn't look like (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/27/mets.manny/index.html)the Mets will be the destination. Philly? Anaheim?
Not sure where he'd play in Anaheim unless the Angels trade Matthews Jr. or Garrett Anderson. Hunter and Guerrero certainly aren't going anywhere. Moreno hasn't been afraid to add payroll though and they've been searching for that "big bat" to put behind Guerrero for a while now so I wouldn't say it is impossible.

Baggage aside, Manny Ramirez's lack of versatility and huge salary make him a difficult player to find a trade partner with. It's not impossible though because a playoff team looking to make a big splash would love to add a bat like Manny for the stretch drive. Could the D'backs have interest? I know they have been looking for offense for a while.

getonbckthr
07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Not sure where he'd play in Anaheim unless the Angels trade Matthews Jr. or Garrett Anderson. Hunter and Guerrero certainly aren't going anywhere. Moreno hasn't been afraid to add payroll though and they've been searching for that "big bat" to put behind Guerrero for a while now so I wouldn't say it is impossible.

Baggage aside, Manny Ramirez's lack of versatility and huge salary make him a difficult player to find a trade partner with. It's not impossible though because a playoff team looking to make a big splash would love to add a bat like Manny for the stretch drive. Could the D'backs have interest? I know they have been looking for offense for a while.
Its gonna be hard for Arizona to get a big time player. Everyone wants Conor Jackson in eturn and they aren't willing to do it.

Palehose Pete
07-27-2008, 09:03 PM

For McClouth.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2008, 10:13 PM

Please, not Philadelphia. He would be even worse than Burrell defensively, and I don't want him anywhere near that clubhouse. Jimmy Rollins is already doing everything he can to sink the Phillies' ship. Manny would only make things worse.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 10:00 AM
TCQ for Lincecum is in an interesting question. It's sort of like the Reds trade of Hamilton. hitters play every day. In general, 1 hitter > 1 pitcher, imo.
But giving every young player the Sox have for Ramirez is just silly.
Boston isn't getting much for Manny Ramirez, if they trade him. He's a pain in the ass with a bad contract.

It won't be very bad if he doesn't agree to an extension in order to waive his no-trade clause. I don't know what they'll do with him right now, but they may just let him walk after the season.

russ99
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Baggage aside, Manny Ramirez's lack of versatility and huge salary make him a difficult player to find a trade partner with.

Yeah, but the dude can flat-out hit. Especially so if he were in a new situation and trying to get that option picked up. I don't see the Red Sox selling him at a high price, if they truly want to get rid of him.

Fenway
07-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Here is the paradox.

The Red Sox are terrified Manny will shut himself down like 2006.

Yet Manny needs a monster 2 months if he indeed becomes a free agent.

It is coming out now that Boston will pay the rest of his contract for 2008 if they can move him. The only thing certain is Manny will not be in Boston in 2009.

This is shaping up to be the best playoff scramble in the AL in years as only Anaheim is a lock. The addition of Tampa Bay to the mix makes it impossible to predict how this will play out.

asindc
07-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Here is the paradox.

The Red Sox are terrified Manny will shut himelf down like 2006.

Yet Manny needs a monster 2 months if he indeed becomes a free agent.

It is coming out now that Boston will pay the rest of his contract for 2008 if they can move him. The only thing certain is Manny will not be in Boston in 2009.

This is shaping up to be the best playoff scramble in the AL in years as only Anaheim is a lock. The addition of Tampa Bay to the mix makes it impossible to predict how this will play out.

Wow! If the Angels or Mets don't take a second look now, I'd be shocked!

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Exactly. I think the Phillies will be a player as well. The Sawx have like Burrell for some time, and the salaries are close. Manuel also managed Manny pretty well over in Cleveland, and they maintain a good relationship. It'll be interesting.

The Mets and Angels need him more, but the Angels don't have the stones and the Mets don't have the players.

spiffie
07-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Manny won't move.

He will come into a game, hit a HR, and all the Red Sox fans will say this was just "Manny being Manny" and ESPN will do a piece talking about how everything is wonderful now.

They will huff and puff and pick up his 2009 option. ESPN will do a piece where Manny says he was misunderstood and Epstein says they never wanted him to go anywhere as he is a beloved member of the team.

Fenway
07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
More dirt coming out now.

Manny told teammates that he was going to sit out the entire homestand and not play again until next week in Kansas City.

Red Sox then made him take a MRI on BOTH knees and when they came back clean they told him to play or else.

Manny isn't as stupid as it appears. He was smart enough to give 2 interviews to ESPN yesterday knowing full well that ESPN was showing the game.

He gave one to ESPN 890 which nobody listens to because of signal problems knowing ESPN would air it during the game.

This is so similar to 4 years ago and Nomar.

Nomar sat out a game at Yankee Stadium and that was the night Jeter dove head first into the stands after a foul ball.
A month later he was a Cub.

It is apparent that Theo has been given carte blanche by ownership to do whatever with Manny. John Henry is disgusted by what has happened the last 3 weeks and has emailed his feelings to Boston media.

Compounding this is Manny has been on a tear in July.

Listening to WEEI it is obvious the fanbase is finally fed up. Even the infamous 'Allison from Cambrige' wants him gone and she has been a legendary defender of Manny on the station.

The next 72 hours will be overkill here.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Paying his WHOLE salary? I'd be more worried about the Twins looking into that...man that would suck.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Exactly. I think the Phillies will be a player as well. The Sawx have like Burrell for some time, and the salaries are close.

I hope not. As dangerous as the combination of Utley-Howard-Ramirez would be, the thought of Manny disrupting that clubhouse makes my skin crawl. Add to that the fact that his defense in LF makes Pat Burrell look like a Gold Glove winner, and Manny in Philadelphia has all the makings of a total disaster.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I hope not. As dangerous as the combination of Utley-Howard-Ramirez would be, the thought of Manny disrupting that clubhouse makes my skin crawl. Add to that the fact that his defense in LF makes Pat Burrell look like a Gold Glove winner, and Manny in Philadelphia has all the makings of a total disaster.

I didn't say that it would be a good idea. Just the most feasible in terms of finances.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I didn't say that it would be a good idea. Just the most feasible in terms of finances.

I know. I'm just hoping the Phillies realize that and don't offer to be trading partner with Boston.

Fenway
07-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I know. I'm just hoping the Phillies realize that and don't offer to be trading partner with Boston.

Gillick is most likely in his last year in Philadelphia as the rumors have him heading to Seattle where he lives. So he may be of the mindset that it is win it now.

Meanwhile the GM of the Mets knows if the team fails to make playoffs he is out of a job.

The sun will rise, the sun will set and Manny will be Manny.

kraut83
07-28-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm really wondering what Epstein is asking in return.

This BS being public can't be helping Manny's trade value.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Paying his WHOLE salary? I'd be more worried about the Twins looking into that...man that would suck.

:rolling:

munchman33
07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
:rolling:

Why is that funny? They're looking for a DH with power, and their owner is cheap. Manny doesn't fit when the Saux pick up his whole salary? :?:

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Why is that funny? They're looking for a DH with power, and their owner is cheap. Manny doesn't fit when the Saux pick up his whole salary? :?:

It isn't that the baseball pieces don't fit. He would make them a very formidable contender, but that isn't their m.o.

I find it funny because there's no way on Earth they deal for a player with Manny's baggage. They've only now started to keep some of their homegrown stars, and rarely add a difference maker when they are contending. You never say never. I say never.

Fenway
07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm really wondering what Epstein is asking in return.

This BS being public can't be helping Manny's trade value.

Theo knows at worst when Manny leaves he gets a first round and a sandwich pick in the next draft. Say what you want about Epstein but the Red Sox have done an excellent job drafting the past 5 years.

Reading the smoke signals from Yawkey Way is always tough but one key component is Francona throwing Manny under the bus. Francona has done a tremendous job in keeping clubhouse garbage in house. He was blindsided by Manny on Friday when instead of telling the manager he could not play he told the bench coach only after the lineup was posted. Ultimately Francona may have the final say if Manny stays or goes.

Obviously if you were certain that Manny goes all out the last 2 months you keep him but Manny may decide he doesn't want to risk getting hurt if he needs a new contract. If Ortiz reverts to form and Drew keeps hitting Boston can still win without Manny.

I doubt Theo would deal with an AL club because you don't want to face Manny in the playoffs. He certainly won't answer any calls from Tampa who could dangle prospects. The NL West is so weak that Manny could win that division.

Boston needs bullpen help desperately as does everybody else. Marte was a huge pickup for NYY. Theo got burned with Gagne last year and he doesn't want to deal prospects again. However if he can get a decent arm for Manny he might do it.

munchman33
07-28-2008, 02:26 PM
It isn't that the baseball pieces don't fit. He would make them a very formidable contender, but that isn't their m.o.

I find it funny because there's no way on Earth they deal for a player with Manny's baggage. They've only now started to keep some of their homegrown stars, and rarely add a difference maker when they are contending. You never say never. I say never.

That's a good way of putting that. And you're right, it certainly doesn't fit what they do. Which is probably why they never go far in the playoffs.

He's exactly what that team needs though. I'll still be holding my breath until Thursday hoping they don't make a move like that.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
That's a good way of putting that. And you're right, it certainly doesn't fit what they do. Which is probably why they never go far in the playoffs.

He's exactly what that team needs though. I'll still be holding my breath until Thursday hoping they don't make a move like that.

You'll be fine, man.

cleanwsox
07-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Theo knows at worst when Manny leaves he gets a first round and a sandwich pick in the next draft. Say what you want about Epstein but the Red Sox have done an excellent job drafting the past 5 years.

That's a long way away. They would have to decline his club option and then offer him arbitration. Kind of gutsy if you ask me.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 02:45 PM
That's a long way away. They would have to decline his club option and then offer him arbitration. Kind of gutsy if you ask me.

It's looking like they will do that in the offseason. Francona did support him for a long time, but if he's tired of him, then that may do it.

getonbckthr
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Can Thome really not play 1B anymore?

Foulke You
07-28-2008, 03:21 PM

You weren't alone in getting worried about the Twins getting involved when I read that Boston might pay his whole salary. Although, Gardenhire doesn't seem to be the type of manager who would put up with Manny's B.S. I don't think that would be a good fit for them but it would definitely make their lineup pretty scary sandwiched between Mauer and Morneau.

I have to think that Theo Epstein would also think twice about trading Manny to another AL contender that he might have to worry about in October. My gut tells me that if Manny gets moved, it will be to an NL club where he couldn't hurt the Red Sox until possibly the World Series.

champagne030
07-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Is this accurate? Wouldn't the Red Sox have to offer Manny arbitration after declining the option to receive compensation? I don't think Theo has the pair to play that game with Manny.

Edit: I see cleansox has already raised this issue.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Is this accurate? Wouldn't the Red Sox have to offer Manny arbitration after declining the option to receive compensation? I don't think Theo has the pair to play that game with Manny.

Me neither.

Fenway
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Edit: I see cleansox has already raised this issue.

What WEEI is saying is the Red Sox get the picks and don't have to offer arbitration because Manny has been there for over 6 seasons.
There was a minor change in the last CBA.

champagne030
07-28-2008, 05:19 PM
What WEEI is saying is the Red Sox get the picks and don't have to offer arbitration because Manny has been there for over 6 seasons.
There was a minor change in the last CBA.

There's nothing like that in the CBA.

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Is this like some Boston version of Mike North talking out of their ass? Maybe someone like Gammons and I might give it a little more credibility, but it's still not listed in the CBA.

DSpivack
07-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Favre for Manny?

Frater Perdurabo
07-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Favre for Manny?

Let's give both of them one-way tickets to Antarctica.

I'll happily take a metric ton of ice in return (it's 106 degrees today in Dallas).

RKMeibalane
07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Let's give both of them one-way tickets to Antarctica.

I'll happily take a metric ton of ice in return (it's 106 degrees today in Dallas).

I'm not sure if Favre wants to compete for a starting job with the emperor penguin. :cool:

DSpivack
07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure if Favre wants to compete for a starting job with the emperor penguin. :cool:

Perhaps he could throw to a former Bears WR, Tom Waddle.

Fenway
07-29-2008, 12:05 AM
There's nothing like that in the CBA.

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

Is this like some Boston version of Mike North talking out of their ass? Maybe someone like Gammons and I might give it a little more credibility, but it's still not listed in the CBA.

I had someone in the press room explain to me how this applies.
Boston does not pick up the option but offers arbitration. The key is because Manny has been with the team more than six years Boston can offer a lowball figure as the 20 percent salary reduction limit does not apply.

Manny may have been the best free agent signing of all time given the results of his 8 years in Boston. Manny has helped increase the value of the franchise far more than the 160M he got and the team has won 2 championships.

I know this much as of now Boston has little chance if they meet Anaheim in October assuming they even get in.

Nellie_Fox
07-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Boston does not pick up the option but offers arbitration. The key is because Manny has been with the team more than six years Boston can offer a lowball figure as the 20 percent salary reduction limit does not apply.That would only matter if Manny accepts arbitration, and the more the team low balls their offer in arbitration, the more likely that the arbitrator will choose the player's price. At least if I'm understanding your point correctly.

CLR01
07-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Manny won't move.

He will come into a game, hit a HR, and all the Red Sox fans will say this was just "Manny being Manny" and ESPN will do a piece talking about how everything is wonderful now.

They will huff and puff and pick up his 2009 option. ESPN will do a piece where Manny says he was misunderstood and Epstein says they never wanted him to go anywhere as he is a beloved member of the team.

It's the same show every year at this time. Manny does his usual stupid ****, the idiots in Boston huff and puff and declare that Manny Being Manny has official worn out it's welcome. Trade rumors fly and unnamed sources close to the situation show up in every article talking about how the Red Sox brass are serious this time. The deadline passes, Manny runs out of the Red Sox dugout at home all by himself to a standing ovation and continues to be a pud.

Somebody fix the ****ing record already,

Boston does not pick up the option but offers arbitration. The key is because Manny has been with the team more than six years Boston can offer a lowball figure as the 20 percent salary reduction limit does not apply.

Manny may have been the best free agent signing of all time given the results of his 8 years in Boston. Manny has helped increase the value of the franchise far more than the 160M he got and the team has won 2 championships.

I know this much as of now Boston has little chance if they meet Anaheim in October assuming they even get in.

That would only matter if Manny accepts arbitration, and the more the team low balls their offer in arbitration, the more likely that the arbitrator will choose the player's price. At least if I'm understanding your point correctly.

Exactly. If Boston offers arbitration, Manny accepts and the Red Sox offer some bull**** low ball offer it is only going to guarantee he gets the $25-$28 million Boras will counter with. Of course he would probably get that anyway and there's really no good reason for him to decline arbitration as he has it made in Boston.

southside rocks
07-29-2008, 09:58 AM
A special segment of BBTN last night discussed the Manny situation, and the consensus is that Manny will be with the Red Sox for the rest of this season.

So apparently the rants and expostulations about Manny being GONE at the trade deadline will turn out, in a couple of days, to have been so much hot air. No team is willing to take Manny at the asking price, whatever that is -- and I'm sure it's high, he's not in a PK slump or anything.

Once again, Manny's silly dramatics have been rivaled by those of his employing club. What a shock. :rolleyes:

IMO, Manny and the Red Sox are a match made in heaven.

palehozenychicty
07-29-2008, 10:02 AM
A special segment of BBTN last night discussed the Manny situation, and the consensus is that Manny will be with the Red Sox for the rest of this season.

So apparently the rants and expostulations about Manny being GONE at the trade deadline will turn out, in a couple of days, to have been so much hot air. No team is willing to take Manny at the asking price, whatever that is -- and I'm sure it's high, he's not in a PK slump or anything.

Once again, Manny's silly dramatics have been rivaled by those of his employing club. What a shock. :rolleyes:

IMO, Manny and the Red Sox are a match made in heaven.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't be surprised after they ask the Rockies about Holliday in the offseason, get rebuffed, and then pick up both options. They don't have the stones to let him walk, especially now that Papi has been rather mortal with injuries the last calendar year.

areilly
07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Didn't see this posted yet, but Gammons really killed Manny yesterday:

Link (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3508405&name=gammons_peter&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3508405%26name%3dgamm ons_peter)

Adele_H
07-29-2008, 11:20 AM
I doubt Theo would deal with an AL club because you don't want to face Manny in the playoffs. He certainly won't answer any calls from Tampa who could dangle prospects. The NL West is so weak that Manny could win that division.

Boston needs bullpen help desperately as does everybody else. Marte was a huge pickup for NYY. .

The only problem with Manny is that he is a DH who is forced to play the field. If Sox didn't have Thome already, I'd take him on the Sox in a heartbeat.

Fenway, I think you're underestimating the confidence/skill level of the 2-time World Champs, Red Sox. Angels are very good, but they are not a perfect team. And neither are the Yankees; Damaso Marte is Javier Vazquez of the bullpen. If Red Sox make the playoffs, they're favorites to repeat in many people's eyes.

palehozenychicty
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM
The only problem with Manny is that he is a DH who is forced to play the field. If Sox didn't have Thome already, I'd take him on the Sox in a heartbeat.

Fenway, I think you're underestimating the confidence/skill level of the 2-time World Champs, Red Sox. Angels are very good, but they are not a perfect team. And neither are the Yankees; Damaso Marte is Javier Vazquez of the bullpen. If Red Sox make the playoffs, they're favorites to repeat in many people's eyes.

Indeed.

Fenway
07-29-2008, 02:11 PM

I have watched Anaheim take 6 straight from Boston. If LAA has the best record in the AL which they should achieve because of the bottom feeders in the AL West they will be tough with home advantage.

Unlike previous Anaheim teams this year they have shown they can win at Fenway. They also have the luxury of having 2 months to get ready for the playoffs as they are a lead pipe cinch to win the AL West.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2008, 06:27 PM
According to Olney and Gammons, the Marlins and Red Sox are in serious trade talks regarding Manny with Josh Willingham or Jeremy Herminda going to Boston.

Foulke You
07-30-2008, 06:31 PM
According to Olney and Gammons, the Marlins and Red Sox are in serious trade talks regarding Manny with Josh Willingham or Jeremy Herminda going to Boston.
Manny should love that. Playing in the humid heat of Florida in front of 60,000 empty orange seats. That's what you get for being a tool. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that outfield in Florida rather large? Manny can get away with playing the tiny LF of Fenway but his defense would be brutal in larger parks.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Manny should love that. Playing in the humid heat of Florida in front of 60,000 empty orange seats. That's what you get for being a tool. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that outfield in Florida rather large? Manny can get away with playing the tiny LF of Fenway but his defense would be brutal in larger parks.
I think actually LF is pretty tiny in Miami too. That would be an interesting trade because with that, all of a sudden the Marlins are a much better team and they're not out of the race yet.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Could a deal for a guy like Manny bring out the latino fanbase in Miami?

JUribe1989
07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Florida is 2 games out and this is a huge kick in the nuts to the Mets, and anytime the Mets get kicked in the nuts I'm thrilled.

AzureJazzMan
07-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Apparently, there are 3 teams involved...The 3 guys from the Marlins, Manny from Bos and Bay from Pit...As per mlb.com and baseball prospectus

Sockinchisox
07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
The Marlins beat reporter for MLB.com is hearing a 3 way trade between the Red Sox, Pirates, and Marlins.

Manny would go to the Marlins, Bay would go to the Red Sox, and Hermida would go to the Pirates.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/manny_in_threeway_deal_that_in.html

Frater Perdurabo
07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Apparently, there are 3 teams involved...The 3 guys from the Marlins, Manny from Bos and Bay from Pit...As per mlb.com and baseball prospectus

The Marlins beat reporter for MLB.com is hearing a 3 way trade between the Red Sox, Pirates, and Marlins.

Manny would go to the Marlins, Bay would go to the Red Sox, and Hermida would go to the Pirates.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/07/manny_in_threeway_deal_that_in.html

ESPN echoing the same thing.

JUribe1989
07-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Getting Bay out of the Manny fiasco is a phenomenal move for the Red Sox. I feel bad for the Rays who sounded like they were actually gonna get J-Bay. Bucco fans are going to be pissed about this.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Getting Bay out of the Manny fiasco is a phenomenal move for the Red Sox. I feel bad for the Rays who sounded like they were actually gonna get J-Bay. Bucco fans are going to be pissed about this.

If it actually happens.

Last time I looked, Manny was still playing LF for the Red Sox.

AzureJazzMan
07-30-2008, 07:36 PM

Cub fans are gonna be pissed about this, with the way Hermida owns them, and now he is in their division

Viva Medias B's
07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I can only imagine what they're saying about this on sports radio down there. I just returned from South Florida, and most of the Marlins talk on WAXY (790 the Ticket) was about Tommy Hutton (Marlins TV commentator) making fun of Mets fans leaving the ballpark in that 8th inning on Monday. WQAM (Sportsradio 560), the other sports talker in South Florida, is almost "all Dolphins, all the time."

Back to Manny, as was mentioned earlier in this thread, it seems it could be a three-way deal with Ramirez going to the Marlins, Hermida going to the Pirates, and Jason Bay going to the Red Sox. Looking at the Manny thread (http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83687&st=325) on MarlinsBaseball.com, there seems to be consensus support for bringing Manny to South Florida. This would be interesting.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
How will Tampa counter since they were on the verge of getting Bay?
How will Philly and the Mets counter a move that elevates the Marlins a ton?

Viva Medias B's
07-30-2008, 07:58 PM
How will Tampa counter since they were on the verge of getting Bay?
How will Philly and the Mets counter a move that elevates the Marlins a ton?

I'm not convinced Manny Ramirez would catapult the Marlins to the top of the NL East. If he acts in South Florida like he does in Boston, Marlins fans will tire of his act quick.

It's Dankerific
07-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm not convinced Manny Ramirez would catapult the Marlins to the top of the NL East. If he acts in South Florida like he does in Boston, Marlins fans will tire of his act quick.

There are Marlins fans???

Viva Medias B's
07-30-2008, 08:18 PM

WSI has learned that Marlins fans actually do exist. I was at Dolphin Stadium this past Monday, and at least half of the 23K there was cheering for the Marlins over the Mets.

Jjav829
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Why would the Marlins trade away Hermida for 2 months of Manny? :scratch:

They're not winning a World Series this year. They need to keep Hermida and move forward with their young nucleus of players.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus says he's hearing a multi-team deal involving the Marlins and Jason Bay is in it's "final stages".

Eddo144
07-30-2008, 09:59 PM

They're not winning a World Series this year. They need to keep Hermida and move forward with their young nucleus of players.
They're 2 games out of first, and if any team has proven you can get hot at the right time and win the whole thing, it's the Marlins.

Attitude problems or not, Manny's one of the 10 best right-handed hitters in the history of baseball, and he will help any team he is on win games.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 10:06 PM

They might be hoping that the combination of going after a superstar and the fact he is of a latino backround could bring out the fans of which is a high latino backround in Miami. If the next 2 months there is a spike in attendence they might pick up the option, might.

A. Cavatica
07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus says he's hearing a multi-team deal involving the Marlins and Jason Bay is in it's "final stages".

"multi-team"? As in two teams? :D:

Viva Medias B's
07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
They might be hoping that the combination of going after a superstar and the fact he is of a latino backround could bring out the fans of which is a high latino backround in Miami. If the next 2 months there is a spike in attendence they might pick up the option, might.

The Marlins have had star players of Latino lineage in the past and present, and it has never translated to huge crowds for regular season games. Of course, Manny would be the biggest one they've ever had should this trade go through. Before that, I would say that Ivan Rodriguez was the most prominent Latino player in Marlins history. Meanwhile, I am listening to the Marlins' postgame show on their flagship, 790 the Ticket, and they have not said anything substantitive about this proposed trade.

the1tab
07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

8:50pm: Will Carroll believes (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967) the Commissioner's Office has been informed of a Red Sox-Pirates-Marlins trade even though the teams haven't agreed on the prospects. Here's how he sees it:
Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (BOS), and cash (likely Ramirezís remaining salary)
Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two FLO, one BOS)
Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow

ChiSoxGirl
07-30-2008, 11:19 PM

If that's what you want to call those people who attend Marlins games. I was down there a week and a half ago and with the Marlins down by two runs against the division-leading Phillies in the seventh, the "fans" sitting in the outfield started doing the wave. :rolleyes: As my friend said, "This is why Marlins fans have a bad name. Who starts the wave with the home team down by two and batting late in the ballgame?"

WSI has learned that Marlins fans actually do exist. I was at Dolphin Stadium this past Monday, and at least half of the 23K there was cheering for the Marlins over the Mets.

The fans are around, they just don't come out in droves; though they did outnumber the Phillies fans without a problem. There were about 23,000 there on the Friday night right after the All-Star Break to watch a Phillies/Marlins game on "Christmas in July" night.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Manny says "Boston doesn't deserve me!" a reason to dislike him.
Then before the game he shows a sign saying "I'm going to Green Bay for Favre straight up!" A move where you can't help but like the guy.

champagne030
07-30-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

8:50pm: Will Carroll believes (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967) the Commissioner's Office has been informed of a Red Sox-Pirates-Marlins trade even though the teams haven't agreed on the prospects. Here's how he sees it:
Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (BOS), and cash (likely Ramirezís remaining salary)
Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two FLO, one BOS)
Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow

And the raping of the Pirates continues. Why can't Kenneth get in on this ****?

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 11:46 PM
Where is the Pirates getting raped in this deal?

Sockinchisox
07-30-2008, 11:46 PM
I dunno who to believe anymore, but The Palm Beach Post is saying a tentative agreement has been reached.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2008/07/30/0730ramirez.html

Craig Grebeck
07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Do people really believe the Pirates got raped here? It's one of the better packages any team has received in the last few years.

Fenway
07-30-2008, 11:57 PM
What WEEI is saying just before Midnight

The 3 way deal is good to go but Manny has to agree to it at which point Boston triggers the 2009 option and will pay all of Manny's 2008 salary and at least half of 2009.

Boston wants to move him badly.

The team needs a shakeup as they looked completely dead against Anaheim.

ChiSoxGirl
07-31-2008, 12:06 AM
What WEEI is saying just before Midnight

The 3 way deal is good to go but Manny has to agree to it at which point Boston triggers the 2009 option and will pay all of Manny's 2008 salary and at least half of 2009.

Boston wants to move him badly.

The team needs a shakeup as they looked completely dead against Anaheim.

Here's hoping that look keeps up through next weekend when they're in Chicago! :cheers:

Tragg
07-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Assuming the prospects are legit, they got a nice return. Hermedia is a good young hitter. That's a lot more than most thought they could get for Jason Bay. Gabow's a serviceable starter, but that's about it.

RadioheadRocks
07-31-2008, 03:57 AM
1st Manny says "Boston doesn't deserve me!" a reason to dislike him.
Then before the game he shows a sign saying "I'm going to Green Bay for Favre straight up!" A move where you can't help but like the guy.

Speak for yourself. :rolleyes:

champagne030
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Do people really believe the Pirates got raped here? It's one of the better packages any team has received in the last few years.

My bad. I 'read' :redface: the Pirates giving up Bay and Grabow and only getting Hermida in return. That trade would be a raping, but if they're also getting Tucker/Stanton, another FLA prospect and a BOS prospect then it's a good trade.

munchman33
07-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Looks like the Rays scooped Boston. :D:

russ99
07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Looks like the Rays scooped Boston. :D:

Yup. :D:

Theo's getting real desperate about now.

kruzer31
07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Rotoworld is reporting now that a Deal has been reached for Manny. No other details

Jeff

Pequod
07-31-2008, 04:29 PM
SI is saying its Manny to the Dodgers...no other details.

scarsofthumper
07-31-2008, 04:30 PM
SI.com reports Manny to the Dodgers.

btrain929
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM
SI.com reports Manny to the Dodgers.

If Boston pried away Kemp or Loney or someone of their likes then they did really well. For some reason, I doubt it though.

DSpivack
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM
I hope the Dodgers didn't give up Kemp for him.