PDA

View Full Version : Early Returns on Trades

MisterB
05-10-2002, 02:40 AM
From Baseball Prospectus via ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/bp/1380412.html

The White Sox traded Kip Wells, Sean Lowe and Josh Fogg to the Pirates for Todd Ritchie and Lee Evans.

It was an easy trade to criticize: Kenny Williams once again trading away the fruit of a productive farm system for a veteran innings-muncher without much upside. Ritchie was just a few years removed from the waiver wire, and even at his best hadn't been much more than a mid-rotation guy. To get him, the Sox gave up Sean Lowe -- who sure looked a lot like Todd Ritchie, circa 1999 -- and two of their better young pitchers in Wells and Fogg.

To Williams' credit, Ritchie has been done exactly what the Sox needed him to do, taking the ball every fifth day and keeping the team in games. For a team trying to win a division, that's a valuable asset. While Williams' frequent moves to add veterans haven't been successful as a whole, this move in particular has worked out as well as could be expected.

That's not to say that the Pirates are displeased. This was a perfect deal for the Bucs, who needed to accumulate as much talent as possible, given the state of their organization. While Lowe has been a disappointment (and at that, has peripheral numbers that don't match his 7.71 ERA), Josh Fogg has been an ace, with a 2.45 ERA in six starts, and Kip Wells has shown signs of being a top starter. This is easily the best move of Dave Littlefield's brief career as GM, and a blueprint for what he needs to do going forward.

Winner: Pirates, but it's close.

BuehrleACE56
05-10-2002, 09:23 AM
That quote was right on. K Willy traded two good young arms and got what he wanted, and Ritchie has worked out pretty well. But was it worth the three pitchers for one? I think that it's still too early to tell. But Fogg has been tearing it up over there and Kipper has looked good also. I am satisfied with Ritchie. He needs more run support and could be closer to 6-0 instead of 3-3. He is 0-3 in day games.

harwar
05-10-2002, 09:57 AM
Although i hated this trade from the start,i'm ok with it now.Theres' no way Fogg & Wells pitch as well as they have if they are facing AL lineups.If we were in the NL central,all our pitchers would be aces and we'd run away with the division.

34 Inch Stick
05-10-2002, 10:24 AM
That is a fair evaluation. I think I would rate it the same way. Neither team is a loser but the Pirates may be more of a winner.

Iwritecode
05-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by harwar
Although i hated this trade from the start,i'm ok with it now.Theres' no way Fogg & Wells pitch as well as they have if they are facing AL lineups.If we were in the NL central,all our pitchers would be aces and we'd run away with the division.

What! You mean facing a pitcher every ninth batter makes the NL a weaker hitting league? I'm shocked! :o:

I'm kinda surprised Lowe doing so bad. Fogg is doing well and that is good to see. Have to trade talent to get talent. I'm still waiting for Kip to fall off. Maybe change of scenery did him good.

CerberusWG
05-10-2002, 11:15 AM
Kip has been falling off.

His last start he pitched 5 1/3 IP 10 H 4 ER 1 B

He is still crapping his pants as usual.

His ERA is in the mid 5's, I believe, and his WHIP must be nearing 2.

voodoochile
05-10-2002, 11:19 AM
I honestly believe the league is going to catch up to Josh Fogg. The number of players who go from minor league middle-reliever to ace pitcher in the majors overnight is incredibly small. I cannot believe he will keep up this pace or anything close to it. Not wishing the kid bad luck, but until he does it for a year+, it is nothing more than flashpaper, IMO.

Iwritecode
05-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I honestly believe the league is going to catch up to Josh Fogg. The number of players who go from minor league middle-reliever to ace pitcher in the majors overnight is incredibly small. I cannot believe he will keep up this pace or anything close to it. Not wishing the kid bad luck, but until he does it for a year+, it is nothing more than flashpaper, IMO.

:burly

It's not that small Voodoo...

:)

Iwritecode
05-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Kip has been falling off.

His last start he pitched 5 1/3 IP 10 H 4 ER 1 B

He is still crapping his pants as usual.

His ERA is in the mid 5's, I believe, and his WHIP must be nearing 2.

Ouch, I haven't really been paying much attention lately.

voodoochile
05-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

:burly

It's not that small Voodoo...

:)

It is unusual for a guy like Fogg to do it. He had been in the system for a few years and never shown this much potential. Buehrle blew threw the minors in 3/4 of a season and was on the big league club by September of his very first year as a professional ball player.

Garrison
05-10-2002, 05:50 PM
:hawk
"I loooove BurlyMon."
Only AL pitcher with six wins.