PDA

View Full Version : Dye Loses an RBI, Indians pitcher gets ERA boost

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Stay classy (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/07/scoring-change.html), Cleveland.

Rockman218
07-26-2008, 12:00 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2/hftvan/BABF07GaryColeman.jpg

What you talking 'bout Spivack?

doublem23
07-26-2008, 12:37 AM
horse****!

thedudeabides
07-26-2008, 12:50 AM
A 5 person panel? This may be the biggest waste of time i've ever seen. Glad to see MLB's resources put to good use.

I guess the official scorer for home teams has become a joke anyways.

Foulke You
07-26-2008, 02:52 AM
I can't believe what I just read. What a petty thing to do for such a ridiculously meaningless play. I could understand it if there were some milestone for the pitcher hanging in the balance but one can only assume this was done as some sort of malice against Jermaine Dye and the White Sox organization.

Shoeless
07-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Congratulations, Jeremy Sowers; You play for the worst team in the AL Central, you've done nothing to help, BUT your ERA is down nearly a run to a respectable 6.44. :D::angry:

ChiSoxFan7
07-26-2008, 07:27 AM
as it's been said in the alexei thread..

this is just someone caring way too much about stats. It's almost a month old game and someone is really pulling this.

:hawk
"THAT's BULL!"

dickallen15
07-26-2008, 07:58 AM
That's pretty ridiculous. If the "official" scorer isn't official, maybe MLB should provide them as well. How about if an umpire blows a call a first and a runner should be out instead of called safe? If there were 2 out, shouldn't the RBI be taken away? Shouldn't the hit be taken away?

Jim Shorts
07-26-2008, 08:14 AM
That's pretty ridiculous. If the "official" scorer isn't official, maybe MLB should provide them as well. How about if an umpire blows a call a first and a runner should be out instead of called safe? If there were 2 out, shouldn't the RBI be taken away? Shouldn't the hit be taken away?

Technically, MLB does provide the official scorers. MLB pays their "salary" not the home team.

DumpJerry
07-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Finally, something for the official Cleveland Indians 2008 highlight DVD!

pierzynski07
07-26-2008, 10:43 AM
:scratch: Why are you talking about an umpire call when this is about the scorer's call?

kevingrt
07-26-2008, 10:45 AM
How much does this five person panel get paid? Can I join?

DumpJerry
07-26-2008, 10:55 AM
How much does this five person panel get paid?
It depends on several factors such as who is the player making the appeal and if Scott Borass is behind the appeal.

ChiSoxFan7
07-26-2008, 11:48 AM
It depends on several factors such as who is the player making the appeal and if Scott Borass is behind the appeal.

you sure you meant the teal:redneck

AWhiteSoxinNJ
07-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I hope this doesn't effect any of my fantasy team scores...

ViPeRx007
07-26-2008, 12:11 PM
***?

This is a taste of things to come when the almightly replay starts showing up because this is exactly what it'll do. There are going to be delays for every disputed hit, error, stike/ball, everything.

Sure, they'll start just using it for HR's but it'll make it's way to everything else before too long.

Gosox1917
07-26-2008, 01:14 PM
As someone who is currently working in the press box for a minor league baseball team, I know how much pressure official scorers are under from coaches, players, etc. It's actually a very ugly part of the game that most people don't realize.

Our official scorer is questioned on several calls per week by our own coaches and players, not to mention the other team. We had a visiting broadcaster come into his box and verbally assault him for a questionable call, one that our scorer I believe had correct the entire way.

In addition, we had our pitching coach come into the front office before the game and insist/demand that we charge our thirdbasemen with an error from the day before in order to save his pitcher and earned run. I'm sure this is much the same type of situation in Cleveland. We gave in after our entire coaching staff also insisted/demanded the change.

Similarly, our team ERA is well over 5.50. It made no real difference. As I said, it's an ugly part of the game at every level. Also, there are also so many bad official scorers that the good ones don't get the credit they deserve. Rosenberg is one of the best, so I see no reason to question his call nearly a month later.

Cleveland is one of the most class-less organizations in the league. They've continued they're tradition with this latest act.

turners56
07-26-2008, 01:45 PM
I hope Jeremy Sowers is still on the Cleveland team next time we play them. Because he's going to get rocked for another 8 runs.

White City
07-26-2008, 02:26 PM
So Casey Blake gets tagged with an error on the way out the door AND it hurts the Sox? Wow, the racist toons are straight-up gangsta!