PDA

View Full Version : Here Come The Yankees

Fenway
07-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Yankees are red hot as they have yet to lose since the All Star Game.

Even with their injuries they are finding a way to win. Joba Chamberlain looked like an ace tonight and Rivera with the 5 out save as the AL East really tightens up.

I would have to make NYY the favorite to win the East now based on their road record which is over .500 which will give them the edge over Tampa and Boston. They also going to be very tough at home as the Stadium countdown continues.

I don't even want to think about how the wild card will play out as it can just as easily come from the Central.

Getting Marte to set up Riveria makes them that much tougher.

Funny nobody is missing Joe Torre anymore.

DSpivack
07-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I thought losing Posada would hurt a lot, but Nady and Marte were nice pick ups. They're going to be there down the stretch.

I wrote pretty much the exact opposite statement a day or two ago. :rolleyes:

RockRiversoxfan
07-26-2008, 01:45 AM
1993 was the last year the yankees did not make the postseason. During their streck of 13 straight playoff apperences.
5 teams have never made it to the playoffs. Years listed are last playoff apperences

Expos/Nationals-1981
Brewers-1982
Royals-1985
Reds-1990
Blue Jays-1993

monkeypants
07-26-2008, 02:48 AM
1993 was the last year the yankees did not make the postseason. During their streck of 13 straight playoff apperences.
5 teams have never made it to the playoffs. Years listed are last playoff apperences

Expos/Nationals-1981
Brewers-1982
Royals-1985
Reds-1990
Blue Jays-1993

http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/pirateslogo.gif

"YARRRRR, did someone mention ineptitude and not include me?"

Haven't made the playoffs since 1992. :angry:

Foulke You
07-26-2008, 03:59 AM
I think a lot will depend on what the Red Sox and Rays do at the deadline. If the Rays will actually go out and get some help at the deadline, I think it will be for the first time in their franchise's history. A big move for either of the two teams could tip the balance.

The Yanks are hot right now but I'm still not sold on them for the long haul. We'll see.

Railsplitter
07-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Don't talk about them and they'll go away.

cards press box
07-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I would have to make NYY the favorite to win the East now based on their road record which is over .500 which will give them the edge over Tampa and Boston. They also going to be very tough at home as the Stadium countdown continues.

I'm not convinced that these Yanks are inevitable. They still have to catch two very good teams in the Rays and Red Sox, both of whom have superior starting pitching when compared to the Yankees.

I thought losing Posada would hurt a lot, but Nady and Marte were nice pick ups.

Marte has thrived in Pittsburgh out of the limelight. In the 2005 playoffs, I held my breath whenever he appeared in a game. Remember Game 3 of the ALDS against Boston? Nady has played well this but will his performance regress toward the mean (i.e., his career average of .281 as opposed to his current average of .330). I'm not convinced that this trade will appreciably help the Yankees.

hawkjt
07-26-2008, 09:44 AM
The Yanks starting pitching features Mussina(outstanding year), Petit(decent year),Chamberlein...looking good..and who?

It is amazing what money will do...they lose Wang and still are right there.
Marte is nasty. He had a drought with the sox but I always thought he would come back to nasty and he did. He helps the Yanks and I dread seeing Marte vs Thome or AJ in those games we still have in Yankee stadium.

Nady is having a career year but he is mashing and that can only help.
I agree the Yanks will play strong at home in Aug and Sept and will reel in the Rays.

I see it as the same old,same old, in the end. Sox,Yanks,Red Sox and Angels.
Gee, is it 05 deja vu? You bet it is.

turners56
07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
The Yanks starting pitching features Mussina(outstanding year), Petit(decent year),Chamberlein...looking good..and who?

It is amazing what money will do...they lose Wang and still are right there.
Marte is nasty. He had a drought with the sox but I always thought he would come back to nasty and he did. He helps the Yanks and I dread seeing Marte vs Thome or AJ in those games we still have in Yankee stadium.

Nady is having a career year but he is mashing and that can only help.
I agree the Yanks will play strong at home in Aug and Sept and will reel in the Rays.

I see it as the same old,same old, in the end. Sox,Yanks,Red Sox and Angels.
Gee, is it 05 deja vu? You bet it is.

Sidney Ponson and Darrel Rasner. Neither are that bad...

Lip Man 1
07-26-2008, 06:12 PM
ESPN radio sports update says Washburn is headed to the Yankees from Seattle.

Lip

DSpivack
07-26-2008, 06:15 PM
ESPN radio sports update says Washburn is headed to the Yankees from Seattle.

Lip

Woo hoo! That will make them worse! :D:

MarySwiss
07-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Sorry, Fens; but let's go Tampa!!!

I get positively giddy at the thought of a playoffs with neither the Yankees nor the Red Sawx around.

And just think about the reaction of the national media if we should have a White Sox/Brewers World Series! I of course would love to see a D'Backs/Sox WS so I could go to a game or two, but that probably wouldn't piss off ESPN and Fox nearly as much.

DSpivack
07-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Marte making his pinstripe debut at Fenway.

White City
07-26-2008, 06:41 PM
I think some folks here fail to see the ultimate set-up for this season (in order of occurence):

1) Cubs have an epic flameout to end all epic flameouts. Happy anniversary!
2) White Sox skate through ahead of a tough late challenge by the Twins.
3) Tampa implodes and the Yanks/Red Sox fight down to the final day of the regular season. ALL OF THE TALK is about which one of them will win the World Series.
4) Wild Card Red Sox make short work of a rusty Angels team that clinched too early.
5) Yankees get swept away by the White Sox in dominating fashion. Gavin Floyd shuts out the Yanks with a ton of run support as our Sox close out Yankee Stadium in the most anti-climactic and frustrating way possible for the Bronx Boors.
6) The Right Sox beat the Red Sox in six, clinching the pennant at home this time. AJ hits a clinching homer to win it that JUST stays fair, and the Fox crew shows Carlton Fisk sitting in the box with a White Sox hat on, smiling ear to ear. Chris Berman is overheard exclaiming, "Oh, NOOOO!"
7) The Sox beat the Brewers (or Cardinals -- whoever the Cubs choked to) in six, once again giving the home fans the World Series clinch at home this time.
8) President Obama renames 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. the White Sox House after our boys claim three straight titles on the back of the best pitching in the league.

Visualize it, people!

MarySwiss
07-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I think some folks here fail to see the ultimate set-up for this season (in order of occurence):

3) Tampa implodes and the Yanks/Red Sox fight down to the final day of the regular season. ALL OF THE TALK is about which one of them will win the World Series.
4) Wild Card Red Sox make short work of a rusty Angels team that clinched too early.
5) Yankees get swept away by the White Sox in dominating fashion. Gavin Floyd shuts out the Yanks with a ton of run support as our Sox close out Yankee Stadium in the most anti-climactic and frustrating way possible for the Bronx Boors.
6) The Right Sox beat the Red Sox in six, clinching the pennant at home this time. AJ hits a clinching homer to win it that JUST stays fair, and the Fox crew shows Carlton Fisk sitting in the box with a White Sox hat on, smiling ear to ear. Chris Berman is overheard exclaiming, "Oh, NOOOO!"
7) The Sox beat the Brewers (or Cardinals -- whoever the Cubs choked to) in six, once again giving the home fans the World Series clinch at home this time.
8) President Obama renames 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. the White Sox House after our boys claim three straight titles on the back of the best pitching in the league.

Visualize it, people!

Close, but no cigar. Try this.

3) Tampa wins it on the last day of the season. Twins are wild card. Boston and the Yankees charter a boat and go deep-sea fishing (possibly for marlins). With any luck, they are swept out to sea and never heard from again.
4) Wild Card Twins get swept by the Angels.
5) Tampa gets swept by the White Sox in dominating fashion. Gavin Floyd shuts out the Rays with a ton of run support.
6) Shades of 2005. Although the Angels manage to win the first game, the Sox take the next four. Jeannie What's-her-face tries to interview Berman for a reaction but is told that Berman is in a state of denial after yet a second Red Sox repeat defeat and has retired from public life permanently. Thousands cheer.
7) The Sox beat the Brewers in six, giving the home fans the World Series clinch at home this time.

PKalltheway
07-26-2008, 09:13 PM

Expos/Nationals-1981
Brewers-1982
Royals-1985
Reds-1990
Blue Jays-1993
The Reds actually won the NL Central, and made it as far as the NLCS in 1995. Haven't done much since, though.

RockRiversoxfan
07-26-2008, 10:19 PM
The Reds actually won the NL Central, and made it as far as the NLCS in 1995. Haven't done much since, though.

The Reds lost a one game playoff to the Mets in 1999. But that is still conisdered a regular season game.

WhiteSox5187
07-26-2008, 10:41 PM
The Reds lost a one game playoff to the Mets in 1999. But that is still conisdered a regular season game.
Yea but they won the NL Central in 1995. Atlanta swept them in the NLCS.