PDA

View Full Version : I Just Had a Revelation

nodiggity59
07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
I didn't know Chone Figgins was a FA after the season. Now I know the following three things will happen.

1. The Sox will sign Figgins to lead off and play 2B

2. TCM will play SS and bat 2nd.

3. Ozzie Guillen will die and go to heaven.

Doesn't this seem like a shoe - in? Not that I'm totally in love with the concept.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 10:04 PM
If he comes here, 3B seems more likely, we have quite a few 2B.

Boondock Saint
07-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I didn't know Chone Figgins was a FA after the season. Now I know the following three things will happen.

1. The Sox will sign Figgins to lead off and play 2B

2. TCM will play SS and bat 2nd.

3. Ozzie Guillen will die and go to heaven.

Doesn't this seem like a shoe - in? Not that I'm totally in love with the concept.

Figgins has been on the tongues of both local mediots and Sox fans for quite a long while now. If KW wanted him that badly, he would have traded for him by now. His becoming a free agent makes acquiring him a bit more likely, but it's far from a done deal. He can go wherever he wants after this year.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Orlando Hudson for 2nd base next year has been talked about by the Sox front office. That according to what one of the beat writers told me.

Lip

nodiggity59
07-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Figgins has been on the tongues of both local mediots and Sox fans for quite a long while now. If KW wanted him that badly, he would have traded for him by now. His becoming a free agent makes acquiring him a bit more likely, but it's far from a done deal. He can go wherever he wants after this year.

That really doesn't make sense when you consider the Angels trading history. In short, they don't do it much. The last 5 years they have very much been a FA based team.

Just cause we never got Figgins doesn't mean KW didn't try very hard to make a deal with a diffiuclt partner.

Hudson will most likely be too expensive. I can just see a tam like the Blue Jays giving him $14million a year.

gr8mexico
07-25-2008, 10:33 PM
That's wierd you cant find Chone Figgins on any of the 2009 FA list. But if you look at his contract on http://www.mlb4u.com/teamcontract.php?team=Los%20Angeles%20Angels%20of% 20Anaheim it shows him signed thru the 2008 season.

JDsDirtySox
07-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Joe Cowley talks about the infield for 2009 all the time... especially now that he is on 670 some with L. Holmes.

Jow thinks the infield will be:
C: AJ
1B: Konerko
2B: Orlando Hudson
SS: Alexei Ramirez
3b: Chone Figgins

nodiggity59
07-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Joe Cowley talks about the infield for 2009 all the time... especially now that he is on 670 some with L. Holmes.

We all know this is what Ozzie wants. With Swisher, TCQ, PK, and Dye in the fold next year, I guess we still would have enough power.

Maybe Chone in CF instead as well.

Ah well, 09 is 09. But I was just hit with that news.

SoxNation05
07-25-2008, 11:02 PM

orgasmic.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I like the fact that Figgins can get on base with some regularity, but a speedster on the opposite side of 30 is a bit of a risk, especially one who currently hitting .260 and who hit .260 two years ago (although in between he he about .330).

I like Hudson, too, but the Sox have too much talent at 2B to be spending $10+ million/yr at the position.

Lillian
07-26-2008, 07:51 AM
That's wierd you cant find Chone Figgins on any of the 2009 FA list. But if you look at his contract on http://www.mlb4u.com/teamcontract.php?team=Los%20Angeles%20Angels%20of% 20Anaheim it shows him signed thru the 2008 season.

My guess is that he is one year short of the 6 years of service time required for free agency. The rule says that a player needs to be on the Major League Clubs roster a minimum of 172 days in the year, in order to be counted as a year of service time. He only played in 71 games in 2003, at the beginning of his career. Perhaps he was not on their roster that entire season.
If this is correct, he won't be a free agent until after next season.

btrain929
07-26-2008, 08:34 AM
My guess is that he is one year short of the 6 years of service time required for free agency. The rule says that a player needs to be on the Major League Clubs roster a minimum of 172 days in the year, in order to be counted as a year of service time. He only played in 71 games in 2003, at the beginning of his career. Perhaps he was not on their roster that entire season.
If this is correct, he won't be a free agent until after next season.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's just arbitration eligible, not a FA. So the only way we get him is to trade for him.

I do like the thought of Orlando Hudson at 2B, though. And if Lip said he heard some of the higher ups in the organization like the idea as well, maybe it'll be another situation like Hunter where he will be our #1 priority of the offseason. Hopefully nobody steps before his press conference with us to offer him an extra 2 years and an extra 25 million....:angry::angry:

Lillian
07-26-2008, 09:48 AM
This team needs a top of the rotation arm. The rumors about Duchscherer are very intriguing. He's still short of the required service time for free agency, so the Sox would have him back for next year. If Beane would take Fields and a Minor League pitcher, that would be great for the Sox. It may take Poreda, but I'd rather it be him than Floyd, whom we need for the rest of this year.

The Dodgers apparently still need a Shortstop. If the Sox could package O. C. and Konerko for Matt Kemp, I'd love that deal as well. The Dodgers could use more power, and Konerko would probably wave the no trade rights in order to go to L.A. K.W. would have to convince Colletti that Paulie's problems are only temporary.

Kemp could lead off and play center.
Ramirez at Short
Uribe at Third til Crede comes off the DL
Getz should be given a shot at Second. He's a good 2 hole hitter, who can bunt, and hit behind the runner on a hit and run.
Swisher moves to First

The Sox are probably in a much better bargaining position to resign Crede, even if they trade Fields, now that Joe's back has been flaring up. If they don't resign him, there are other possibilities for next year. Moreover, it's not the time to worry about next year. This is the window of opportunity for the Sox. I say go for it!!

The rotation would have 5 solid starters:
Dukscherer (There is the reservation regarding his durability, in that this is his first year starting)
Vazquez
Buerhle
Danks
Floyd

I'd like to see Clayton Richard in the Bullpen. He has great control, and seems pretty unflappable.
Jose Contreras should be in the Pen. He was OK there last year.

Brian26
07-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Orlando Hudson for 2nd base next year has been talked about by the Sox front office. That according to what one of the beat writers told me.

Lip

Nice. With Hudson at 2B, Torii Hunter in CF and Miguel Cabrera at 3B, the Sox will be the favorites to win the division.

getonbckthr
07-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I want Hudson nowhere near this team.

btrain929
07-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I want Hudson nowhere near this team.

Why is that?