PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Textpoll Question

skottyj242
07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
So I'm at work watching the Cubs game and they just put on the text poll question: Which current Chicago Cub would make the best Chicago Bear? Winning with 37% of the vote was Carlos Zambrano in second place with 30% was Jeff Samardzija. That's funny.

BadBobbyJenks
07-25-2008, 03:10 PM
I just saw that. Yeah Zambrano definitely would be better than a guy who would have gone in the first two rounds had he chose football.

CHIsoxNation
07-25-2008, 03:11 PM
So I'm at work watching the Cubs game and they just put on the text poll question: Which current Chicago Cub would make the best Chicago Bear? Winning with 37% of the vote was Carlos Zambrano in second place with 30% was Jeff Samardzija. That's funny.

The sad thing is I bet you could throw Samardzija into training camp right now and he'd probably land the #1 or #2 receiver spot.

fugazis
07-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Maybe the cubs can option him to Bearbonnais when he's done in Chicago. He would be the Bears #1 receiver.

gobears1987
07-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Jeff is making his MLB debut now. I hate the Cubs, but I want to see him do well here since I knew him in high school.

gobears1987
07-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Maybe the cubs can option him to Bearbonnais when he's done in Chicago. He would be the Bears #1 receiver.
Had he gone into football, he would've easily been a first round pick.

RTI_SoxFan
07-25-2008, 03:36 PM
His career ERA is currently 9.00. :tongue: Marlins got one run off him.

guillen4life13
07-25-2008, 03:57 PM
That is pretty ludicrous.

But: I hate ND (see below) and I hate the Cubs and I don't know Jeff personally so...yeah.

The Milkman
07-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Dude's a beast...I'd love to have him.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Too bad Farnsworth is on the Yankees now. He had a good LB tackle in Cincy a few years ago.

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Wow, mediocre prospect Jeff Samardzija has been called up!! Front page news for sure!!! He went to Notre Dame!! And he played football there!! And he has long hair!!

:gene: to this story.

The Milkman
07-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Did you watch the 2 IP he just had? Looked pretty good to me...hit 98 with nice movement on the FB.

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Jeff is making his MLB debut now. I hate the Cubs, but I want to see him do well here since I knew him in high school.
I'm a huge ND fan, having said that, Samjardia (forgive my spelling) is now gone from ND and on the Cubs...he is dead to me.

doublem23
07-25-2008, 04:19 PM
And the Gascan just gave up a go-ahead homer to the Marlins. Hey, at least Alfonso Soriano and Koskuke Fukudome failed to come through in back-to-back innings with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd... But, I know Cub fans, they're totally All-Stars!

Samardjza made the right choice. He'd be a marginal NFL reciever, and I'm an Irish fan.

doublem23
07-25-2008, 04:35 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/gallery/data/4/medium/soxbeatcubs.jpg

gobears1987
07-25-2008, 04:37 PM
That is pretty ludicrous.

But: I hate ND (see below) and I hate the Cubs and I don't know Jeff personally so...yeah.
Jeff is a pretty big Sox fan.

doublem23
07-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Jeff is a pretty big Sox fan.

So is Tom Gorzelanny, but no one cried when we beat the snot out of him.

TDog
07-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Did Cubs fan know this new pitcher with the unprounouncable name had played football for Notre Dame? I had never heard of him.

munchman33
07-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Did Cubs fan know this new pitcher with the unprounouncable name had played football for Notre Dame? I had never heard of him.

His signing was a pretty big deal because he was a big time football talent, and the Cubs paid a ton to bring him in.

WizardsofOzzie
07-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Didn't know him but went to HS w/ him. You go to Valpo as well?

gobears1987
07-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Didn't know him but went to HS w/ him. You go to Valpo as well?I graduated in '05.

TDog
07-25-2008, 05:23 PM
His signing was a pretty big deal because he was a big time football talent, and the Cubs paid a ton to bring him in.

Maybe that's why a check of the box score shows they brought him in to make his debut to protect a one-run lead in a pennant race. They wanted to get their money's worth.

Maybe if I paid any attention to the Cubs, I would have heard of him. Still, I believe it's entirely possible that a lot of Cubs fans who don't pay any attention to amateur signings had never heard of him. That would explain the poll.

BadBobbyJenks
07-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow, mediocre prospect Jeff Samardzija has been called up!! Front page news for sure!!! He went to Notre Dame!! And he played football there!! And he has long hair!!

:rolleyes:

Someone already pointed it out, but don't act like he is not a big prospect.

gobears1987
07-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Maybe if I paid any attention to the Cubs, I would have heard of him. Still, I believe it's entirely possible that a lot of Cubs fans who don't pay any attention to amateur signings had never heard of him. That would explain the poll.
If you watched any college football you would have heard of him. He had a lot of highlight reel TD catches while at Notre Dame that made ESPN's top 10 plays of the day. Sadly many of them came against Purdue. We could never shut him down.

turners56
07-25-2008, 05:35 PM

Zambrano's probably good at what he calls "football"...soccer.

I still think Jeff should of stayed with football. He's not that good of a pitcher...

gobears1987
07-25-2008, 05:37 PM
I still think Jeff should of stayed with football. He's not that good of a pitcher...
I'd agree he's much better at football. I was really shocked that he decided to go with baseball, but I guess he figured he could have a longer career in baseball than football.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 06:42 PM
The Bears could use a WR and QB.

Josh Fields to Jeff Samardjza, anyone?

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 07:20 PM

try to keep up

pierzynski07
07-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Maybe that's why a check of the box score shows they brought him in to make his debut to protect a one-run lead in a pennant race. They wanted to get their money's worth.

From the pregame interview, to them consistantly playing the ND fight song, to them consistantly showing a photo of him in shoulder pads holding a bat and glove, I doubt that anyone who voted in this poll didn't know he was a two-sport athlete.

BadBobbyJenks
07-25-2008, 07:55 PM
try to keep up

Oh look, a bar of soap.

FedEx227
07-25-2008, 08:09 PM

He isn't. Sorry man. But he really isn't in the grand scheme of baseball.

Baseball American Top 100... nowhere to be found.

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Oh look, a bar of soap.

i prefer a bowl of soup

fquaye149
07-25-2008, 08:32 PM

You know who else went to Notre Dame? Carl Yastrzemski.

You have been officially put into your place, duder

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 09:24 PM
You know who else went to Notre Dame? Carl Yastrzemski.

You have been officially put into your place, duder

How the hell do you even pronounce that guy's name?

*plays Beck's "Sexx Laws" on trumpet*

gaelhound
07-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm a huge ND fan, having said that, Samjardia (forgive my spelling) is now gone from ND and on the Cubs...he is dead to me.
You are ICE COLD!, Funny, but ICE COLD!

fquaye149
07-25-2008, 11:43 PM
How the hell do you even pronounce that guy's name?

*plays Beck's "Sexx Laws" on trumpet*

it's pronounced yeah-struh-zem-skee

fquaye149
07-25-2008, 11:45 PM

Don't trip. Every time I saw my main man Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija around campus he was wearing a White Sox hat.

This confirmed my suspicion that JS is actually, in fact, Willie "Hollywood" Harris.

How can you root against the guy?

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Don't trip. Every time I saw my main man Jeff "The Shark" Samardzija around campus he was wearing a White Sox hat.

This confirmed my suspicion that JS is actually, in fact, Willie "Hollywood" Harris.

How can you root against the guy?

Because of the uniform on the front of the jersey, not the back.

BadBobbyJenks
07-26-2008, 12:05 AM
He isn't. Sorry man. But he really isn't in the grand scheme of baseball.

Baseball American Top 100... nowhere to be found.

Don't you think that is because how raw of a prospect he was?

gobears1987
07-26-2008, 12:19 AM
I can't root against Jeff. He really went though a lot of turmoil his sophomore year in high school. If you knew the pain he had to live through you would probably respect him a lot.

champagne030
07-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Don't you think that is because how raw of a prospect he was?

No. He cannot throw strikes and has been lit up each year in the minors. He throws hard and the Cubbies thought they could teach him an offspeed pitch and command. So far, they've failed.

That said, $10M/5 years was an insane contract a couple of years ago, but it's really nothing when you look at it now. They rolled the dice and it has yet to shake out how he will really do.....gain more command and come up with a legit offspeed pitch and he's a potential top of the rotation starter. Maybe he doesn't learn squat and he's the next Howry, making less money, while blowing games. :cool:

fquaye149
07-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Because of the uniform on the front of the jersey, not the back.

I JUST PROVED THAT HE IS REALLY WILLIE HARRIS IN DISGUISE

what more do you want me to do on his behalf before you lay down roses at his feet?

DSpivack
07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
I JUST PROVED THAT HE IS REALLY WILLIE HARRIS IN DISGUISE

what more do you want me to do on his behalf before you lay down roses at his feet?

:tongue:

FedEx227
07-27-2008, 01:11 PM
No. He cannot throw strikes and has been lit up each year in the minors. He throws hard and the Cubbies thought they could teach him an offspeed pitch and command. So far, they've failed.

That said, $10M/5 years was an insane contract a couple of years ago, but it's really nothing when you look at it now. They rolled the dice and it has yet to shake out how he will really do.....gain more command and come up with a legit offspeed pitch and he's a potential top of the rotation starter. Maybe he doesn't learn squat and he's the next Howry, making less money, while blowing games. :cool:

And the fact he didn't and still doesn't know how to throw a changeup.

He has two pitches: slider and fastball.

champagne030
07-27-2008, 01:21 PM
And the fact he didn't and still doesn't know how to throw a changeup.

He has two pitches: slider and fastball.

Yes, currently, he's Marmol with a weaker fastball and slider, plus less command if that's possible.

BadBobbyJenks
07-27-2008, 06:25 PM
The Shark looked good today and it looked like he was throwing a splitter.

stacksedwards
07-28-2008, 09:23 AM

This is a big story for many reasons.
1) he would have been a first round pick, not a scrub at ND
2) he is somewhat of a local product, Valpo maybe an hour from Chicago
3) he is good not mediocre- usually teams do not give players $10 mil if they are mediocre

stacksedwards
07-28-2008, 09:25 AM
I can't root against Jeff. He really went though a lot of turmoil his sophomore year in high school. If you knew the pain he had to live through you would probably respect him a lot.
His mom died and he got poped from a drinking ticket right?

Law11
07-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Jeff Samardzija could be their #1 right now..

WizardsofOzzie
07-29-2008, 09:05 AM
I graduated in '05.
Yep, I'm getting old. I graduated in '01 :redface:

The Critic
07-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Three Hail Marys and it's off your record.
"But dude.....I was a receiver, not a QB....can I catch the Hail Marys??"

gobears1987
07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
The drinking thing was 3-4 years later and after his freshman year of college.

His mom got sick during his sophomore year in high school and then died a few months later. He really went though a lot around that time.