PDA

View Full Version : Detroit News gives props to Quentin

comet2k
07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Some interesting stats in this column:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/OPINION03/807250382/1129/SPORTS0104

whitesox901
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Big ups to TCQ! :D:

turners56
07-25-2008, 01:38 PM
The writer said that if the Tigers lost the division, it's because of Carlos Quentin...WRONG.

It's because the Tigers started off the season 0-7 and sucked for the entire first half.

whitesox901
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
The writer said that if the Tigers lost the division, it's because of Carlos Quentin...WRONG.

It's because the Tigers started off the season 0-7 and sucked for the entire first half.

That 0-7 start was something beautiful, That was a fun week and a half at school :redneck

turners56
07-25-2008, 01:56 PM
That 0-7 start was something beautiful, That was a fun week and a half at school :redneck

You live near DeToilet or something?

whitesox901
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
You live near DeToilet or something?

Yea, Oregon (Toledo Suberb) is about 45 mins away

BRDSR
07-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Yea, Oregon (Toledo Suberb) is about 45 mins away

That is a weird sentence...Oregon sounds like a state to me and...Toledo, Ohio, has suberbs?

whitesox901
07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
That is a weird sentence...Oregon sounds like a state to me and...Toledo, Ohio, has suberbs?

I always feel like a jackass when I order something, my adress is

Mod edit: You've got to be kidding! Putting your address on the internet for every nutcase in the world to see? Please people! Think before you post.

Im just waiting for some company to call and say "hah hah very funny"

turners56
07-25-2008, 06:34 PM

Mod edit: You've got to be kidding! Putting your address on the internet for every nutcase in the world to see? Please people! Think before you post.

The internet is very serious business.

gobears1987
07-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Palehose 8 has Detroit's method of getting him out. They're trying to use kryptonite.

thomas35forever
07-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Mvp! Mvp!

Vernam
07-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Some interesting stats in this column:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080725/OPINION03/807250382/1129/SPORTS0104I'm no stat-head, but if Detroit can have a baseball columnist that good, why the hell can't Chicago? I get so tired of all the local guys covering the teams like it's a political campaign. Maybe it's because there are two teams? :shrug:

Vernam

guillen4life13
07-25-2008, 09:58 PM
FWIW, I'm watching the telecast online through mlbtv, and the Tigers announcers have been praising the Sox nonstop. Nothing but high compliments for TCQ, Floyd, and the whole organization (good things to say about Ozzie, the coaching staff, KW and saying the Sox are a "well run organization from top to bottom."). Lots attention paid to the Sox overall.

I really like this broadcast team.

DrCrawdad
07-26-2008, 12:36 AM
FWIW, I'm watching the telecast online through mlbtv, and the Tigers announcers have been praising the Sox nonstop. Nothing but high compliments for TCQ, Floyd, and the whole organization (good things to say about Ozzie, the coaching staff, KW and saying the Sox are a "well run organization from top to bottom."). Lots attention paid to the Sox overall.

They must not read the Chicago papers.

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm no stat-head, but if Detroit can have a baseball columnist that good, why the hell can't Chicago? I get so tired of all the local guys covering the teams like it's a political campaign. Maybe it's because there are two teams? :shrug:

VernamMankato has better baseball columnists than Chicago does.

hawkjt
07-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Tiger fans absolutely hate Hawk. Over on their boards he is Satan.
Yet Hawk is unfailingly positive about opposing teams like the Twins and Tigers. I know...his homerism drives them nuts but he never says bad things about the opposition.

That homer call on Dye is burned into their brains now. Hope Hawk has security in Detroit.

LongLiveFisk
07-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Sounds like the complete opposite of the Twins' broadcast team, from comments I've read on this board in the past.

HangWiffum
07-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Yet Hawk is unfailingly positive about opposing teams like the Twins and Tigers. I know...his homerism drives them nuts but he never says bad things about the opposition.

That homer call on Dye is burned into their brains now. Hope Hawk has security in Detroit.

anyone know where i can hear that dye home run call? he must have blown a gasket or something.

Zisk77
07-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Sounds like the complete opposite of the Twins' broadcast team, from comments I've read on this board in the past.
Its not really the broadcast team. Bert Blyleven, while a homer, still praises the other team. Its play-by-play guy Dick Bremer. The only compliment he has ever given the sox is a back-handed one and he comes off as a pompass rectal orfice. He also insinuate that the twins brand of baseball is the right way to play but the sox play the other way. I even heard him talk about how bad the cell was, talk about livin in glass houses :o:.

I don't have a problem with the tigers broadcast team other than their just plain wrong alot.

whitesox901
07-26-2008, 02:15 PM

Rod and Mario? Yea, they are a cool duo

grv1974
07-26-2008, 02:30 PM

What are suberbs? Are those like suburbs?

turners56
07-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Yeah, they're not extremely biased.

Oblong
07-26-2008, 03:56 PM

Rod Allen was in the Chicago organization at one point. I also think he and Kenny Williams have had connections in the past while playing.

Those two always give it up for the White Sox and Kenny in particular. At least Rod does. I can tell he reads up on them because he doesn't talk about other teams nearly as much, except maybe the Diamondbacks because he used to be one of their broadcasters and coaches.

TornLabrum
07-26-2008, 04:56 PM
What are suberbs? Are those like suburbs?

I think it's a contraction of subherbs, which I believe is a type of plant.

DrCrawdad
07-26-2008, 06:09 PM

I've heard from Cubbie fans complaints that Hawk rips the Cubbies. I've asked for examples, no response.

I agree with your comments. I think Hawk is very, very complimentary of the Twins and the Tigers perhaps to a less extent. But my point is that I don't remember hearing Hawk rip the Cubbies or opposition teams in general.

Nellie_Fox
07-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Its not really the broadcast team. Bert Blyleven, while a homer, still praises the other team. Its play-by-play guy Dick Bremer.You are correct. Blyleven is fine, and is complimentary of the other teams' players and almost never negative. Bremer, on the other hand, is a complete pud.

WSox597
07-27-2008, 07:33 AM
They must not read the Chicago papers.

Like most of us here. :D:

Rockin Robin
07-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Whoa, I had no idea my grandmother was a mod on WSI. Crazy.

You have heard of phone books, correct?

TornLabrum
07-27-2008, 12:16 PM

First of all, you have heard of user names, correct? I defy you to find any way a person can use the personal information available to the public on this web site to get a telephone number from the phone book.

Second of all, people from this web site have been harassed. We don't want to make that easier to occur.

Third, since it wasn't your post that was edited, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself, since it is none of your business. Crazy....

whitesox901
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM

theyre just doing their job man, Im glad the Mods had my back when I made a dumb mistake, thank you mods! :cool:

DrCrawdad
07-27-2008, 01:23 PM
First of all, you have heard of user names, correct? I defy you to find any way a person can use the personal information available to the public on this web site to get a telephone number from the phone book.

Second of all, people from this web site have been harassed. We don't want to make that easier to occur.

Third, since it wasn't your post that was edited, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself, since it is none of your business. Crazy....

I've been using this moniker, DrCrawdad, for years here and other discussion boards. A few times on other discussion sights, and even just recently, an individual posted my personal name, trying to intimidate me. Here is what wikipedia says about that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Harassment):

Posting of personal information

Posting another person's personal information (legal name, date of birth, social security number, home or workplace address, telephone number, email address, or other contact information, regardless of whether or not the information is actually correct) is harassment...This is because it places the other person at unjustified and uninvited risk of harm in "the real world" or other media...It also applies in the case of editors who have requested a change in username, but whose old signatures can still be found in archives.