PDA

View Full Version : Izquierdo on florida

Huisj
05-10-2002, 12:13 AM
Some 25 year old named Hansel Izquierdo picked up a win for Florida today in his first major league start. Maybe I'm mistaken here, but didn't this guy used to be in the sox system? I seem to remember him pitching a spring training game on WGN a few years back in Las Vegas right before the regular season started, and the name just rings a bell. Is this that same guy? IF it is, how'd he become Marlins property?

kermittheefrog
05-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
Some 25 year old named Hansel Izquierdo picked up a win for Florida today in his first major league start. Maybe I'm mistaken here, but didn't this guy used to be in the sox system? I seem to remember him pitching a spring training game on WGN a few years back in Las Vegas right before the regular season started, and the name just rings a bell. Is this that same guy? IF it is, how'd he become Marlins property?

Hansel has had a wild ride. He is a cuban defector who went to HS in Florida. He was originally drafted and signed by the Marlins but was released and signed by the Sox. From there he was granted free agency (I dunno why) but resigned with the Sox. However the Sox released him and he signed with Cleveland who then released him and now he's back in Florida's system. He throws in the low 90's and has good stuff but he's had injury and attitude problems. Apparently his attitude problems were solved by all the organizations giving up on him. So he's back on track for a career.

MattSharp
05-10-2002, 02:18 AM
It doesn't matter, as soon as he gets good Florida will trade him anyway......