PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Stadium Renovations.

Randar68
08-03-2001, 02:49 PM
I like them, from what I see. There is no view of anything worth while off to the south, anyways.

I like the way the club boxes extension will be made directly below the club level seating. I have always thought they made the upper deck too far, vertically, above the lower deck seating.

The glass Entrance/exit, right by the 35th street El is also very key. It's a bit of a hike from the El to the nearest entrance, and what is the point of having to walk all the way around the park just to get to your left field seats??? It's a nice place to display Sox historical info and memorabilia as well. Great idea. The stairways and seating level entrance behing homeplate is also a nice touch. I always feel like they are trying to cram you into the ramps and escallators when you go through the current gates, very dark and unfriendly feeling. It doesn't appear as though any changes would be made to the way the gates are done on the first base side, and that suits the automobile driving public nicely, for the most part.

I have no problem with adding the right field HR porch. I like what they did with the bullpen sports bar area, and think that would only be enhanced by the porch. If they chopped off 10 rows of the upper deck and made the awning more horizontal, that seating area would have a very nice view of the Chicago skyline. Also, it would be of concern if the upper deck area there cut off view of the scoreboard to people sitting along the RF portion of the stadium, and I don't see how it could be built without doing so, at least partially.

Well, those are just my impressions, and along with perhaps a green-solid wall and a change to green seats, I think it would COMPLETELY change the atmosphere and feel of the park for the better. I have never had much issue with the new park from the start, and thought it offered all the appropriate amenities, but this just seems like it can't go wrong....

I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT A LO!!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 02:53 PM
Good input Randar, I hope this is what they are going to do, because the Sox haven't said anything on the subject. I assume they will at some point and I hope this is the plan they unveil.

voodoochile
08-03-2001, 03:42 PM
I like the renovatioins. Nice to have a more homey feeling park to go to. The grand entrance is something that is sorely lacking and also something that every other major stadium has (even Soldier Field and it was built in 1920).

I do have one question. The site said they would end up with 43K+ seats. They are higher than that now, after the rennovations last year. Are they planning on taking out some upper deck seats? I am wondering if this was an old plan that wasn't implemented, and it was designed before the most recent changes. Possibly it was designed before the most recent changes, but noone changed the figure after the park was redone this last year.

I hope if they don't do this one, that they at least do something similar.

Whatever, it is a great scoop. If this is the official plan, WSI and JM broke a story that no other media outlet has... WTG...

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 03:52 PM
I do have one question. The site said they would end up with 43K+ seats. They are higher than that now, after the rennovations last year. Are they planning on taking out some upper deck seats? I am wondering if this was an old plan that wasn't implemented, and it was designed before the most recent changes. Possibly it was designed before the most recent changes, but noone changed the figure after the park was redone this last year.

It looks to me like yes they are taking some of the upper deck seats away as well as adding a canopy or whatever the term is, the mini roof in the upper deck. Also I think this has been the plan since last year because after they announced the changes to the bullpens and such there was rumblings about more to come.

http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey3.jpg

Whatever, it is a great scoop. If this is the official plan, WSI and JM broke a story that no other media outlet has... WTG...

:moron
I would have broke the story but I was at Wrigley.

voodoochile
08-03-2001, 04:01 PM
That picture makes it look like this is a follow up to the already completed portion of the renovation. You can see the new left field bullpen. Also the first picture you can see the new field seats in what used to be foul territory.Thanx.

BTW it is a well established fact that KB doesn't need to go to any baseball park, he is psychic...

:moron
"I am the way and the light... Ms. Cleo's got nothing on me..."

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 04:18 PM
Moronotti said:

"I am the way and the light... Ms. Cleo's got nothing on me..."

:cleo

I'll be knockin' da hairpiece off your head you fat tub of lard!
I don' care 'bout no damn lawsuits!

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

:cleo

I'll be knockin' da hairpiece off your head you fat tub of lard!
I don' care 'bout no damn lawsuits!

:chimp
That hairpiece is belted deep towards right, it's a majestic shot!

Randar68
08-03-2001, 04:24 PM
:chimp

That hairpiece is belted deep towards right, it's a majestic shot!

And it's snared by the SS standing just behind second base. Boy folks, that one was ticketed for the bushes in CF!

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 04:31 PM
And it's snared by the SS standing just behind second base. Boy folks, that one was ticketed for the bushes in CF!

LOL!! I had to talk to an employee for a moment and you beat me to it!

voodoochile
08-03-2001, 04:51 PM
Not hearing Chip and hawk may be one of the few advantages to being hard of hearing...

It also makes bad movies really really funny when you only read the words and don't listen to the emotional inflection...

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 04:54 PM
Not hearing Chip and hawk may be one of the few advantages to being hard of hearing...

Besides, who needs to hear Hawk when we have King Xerxes around? You can read Hawk, LOL!

doublem23
08-03-2001, 04:56 PM
I likes it!

But I do agree with everyone that we SORELY need green seats, but I like the new HR porch, and I really like the new grand enterance.

The only other things I would add, I'd try and figure out a way to make the retired numbers better. Those damn banners suck. I personally would go for adding statues to the main concourse in the outfield. Also, I hate the damn tiny flags we have flying. And I'm not a fan of our "out-of-town" scoreboard. I don't want a manual one, but the one we have is really, really ugly.

What else is there? Oh, yeah. I DON'T think the stadium's naming rights should be sold, but I do think that it should be renamed. Calling this place Comiskey Park does nothing for the Old park. And lastly, this is a bit of a stretch, but I really like how in Dodger's Stadium they have stuff painted on the wall. I'd like to see Nellie Fox's big smile (and big wad of tobacco) behind Magglio in RF.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 04:57 PM

Your forgot to include Joe Carter, man anyone who has heard him knows he is flat out brutal!

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 04:58 PM
Besides, who needs to hear Hawk when we have King Xerxes around? You can read Hawk, LOL!

The King also does one hell of a Chimp to!