07-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Fan goes to hospital! :o:

http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=3504480

SoxNation05
07-25-2008, 02:27 AM
wow

JohnTucker0814
07-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Where did Sandberg go??? I thought he was the manager of Peoria? And I hope the kid that threw the ball and missed gets a huge suspension like Delmon Young recieved... that was just inexplicable!

Chez
07-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Where did Sandberg go??? I thought he was the manager of Peoria? And I hope the kid that threw the ball and missed gets a huge suspension like Delmon Young recieved... that was just inexplicable!

The player who through the ball is in jail charged with felonious assault! A lengthy suspension is the least of his worries.

Harry Potter
07-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Sandberg is in NY for the Hall of Fame induction.

I can't believe the teams called the league president and got the ejections reversed so the game could finish. I hope this sets a precedent for MLB

doublem23
07-25-2008, 09:16 AM

Sandberg is the Chiefs manager, but he is in Cooperstown this weekend for the HOF festivities.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x1470912671/Brawl-24/g1a917ce0815c8f92ed7eff39bfe93209884cb1e3da41ab.jp g

asindc
07-25-2008, 09:19 AM

This is why I'm adamently opposed to just overlooking when a pitcher deliberately throws at a batter. It's inexecusable no matter what. That kid should be suspended for the season and have criminal charges pursued against him.

doublem23
07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
This is why I'm adamently opposed to just overlooking when a pitcher deliberately throws at a batter. It's inexecusable no matter what. That kid should be suspended for the season and have criminal charges pursued against him.

A) It's nearly impossible 99.9% of the time to know whether or not someone DELIBERATELY threw at someone.

B) We've been over this time and time again, but there's a difference between the context of an actual game and extracurriculars. A batter steps into the batter's box fully knowing that the pitcher might put one in his ear, accidentally or intentionally, and accepts that risk. Players sitting in the dugout or fans in the stands do not accept that implicit risk.

C) This is pro baseball, not T-ball for kindergarteners. It's part of the game. How ****ty would baseball be if pitchers were afraid to work in the inner half of the plate because they feared being jailed if they ran one too far inside? What a terrible, terrible idea.

doublem23
07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Deadspin's got a piece on the melee, with video!

http://deadspin.com/5029015/mayhem-in-the-midwest-league

Hokiesox
07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I can't believe the teams called the league president and got the ejections reversed so the game could finish. I hope this sets a precedent for MLB

Ozzie's having a red phone installed in the clubhouse and Bud's office as we speak.

twentywontowin
07-25-2008, 10:22 AM

What's next? No fighting in hockey?

It's part of the game.

PatK
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM

It's part of the game.

At least in Canada, some acts of violence out on the ice (notably stick swinging incidents) are punishable under the Canadian criminal code.

southside rocks
07-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Ummm... the article said that the ball thrown into the stands struck a fan with such force that it caromed and landed five rows away, in the lap of another fan.

No pitcher, when intentionally throwing at a batter, EVER throws that hard. No pitcher wants to kill or injure another player. This kid (who threw the ball yesterday) is messed up, IMO, and I wouldn't equate what he did with routine pitching inside, brushing back, or even intentional plunking in the context of a game. This kid meant to harm, that was apparent by the force of his throw. I agree with you, he should get a long suspension, apart from whatever else happens to him.

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 10:58 AM

It's part of the game.

Back in my day, we faced out peanut allergies like men and then ducked it out on the ice!

:geezer:

asindc
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM

It's part of the game.

So is whacking someone in the head with the stick in hockey, but some have been arrested and prosecuted for it.

twentywontowin
07-25-2008, 11:03 AM
At least in Canada, some acts of violence out on the ice (notably stick swinging incidents) are punishable under the Canadian criminal code.

Delibrate, physical attacks I can see. A fight to get the team fired up is different.

Retaliation for hitting a batter should fall under the same precedence.

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Delibrate, physical attacks I can see. A fight to get the team fired up is different.

But it does, doesn't it? No one is getting dragged off to jail on felony assult charges for plunking a batter. Now if that batter was standing outside the box and adjusting his gloves and the pitcher fired right at him, he should go to Monster Island (don't worry, it's just a name).

PeteWard
07-25-2008, 11:13 AM
The player who through the ball is in jail charged with felonious assault! A lengthy suspension is the least of his worries.

You can say that again:smile: .

Check out the link

http://www.mont.miamivalleyjails.org/JAILBOOKING.ASPX?CJIS_OR_PARTY_ID=P6215257&JAILBOOKING_ID=2467126

PeteWard
07-25-2008, 11:16 AM

He threw the ball at the opposition dugout, missed , and hit a fan in the head. That's why he is in jail. Neithe his Mom nor his pitching coach are very proud right now. HE MISSED THE DUGOUT!!:o:

twentywontowin
07-25-2008, 11:24 AM
He threw the ball at the opposition dugout, missed , and hit a fan in the head. That's why he is in jail. Neithe his Mom nor his pitching coach are very proud right now. HE MISSED THE DUGOUT!!:o:

I'm talking about at-bats, not some idiot firing a ball into the dugout and missing.

turners56
07-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Cubs and their minor league affiliates = classy.

It was all of Dayton's fault! They started it! :whiner:

cleanwsox
07-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Wonder how fast that ball had to be going. Not sure how fast Castillo throws but with a running start, it had to be up there.

skottyj242
07-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Isn't this the team that is playing at Wrigley next week?

PatK
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Yes

downstairs
07-25-2008, 12:56 PM

And Castillo was supposed to pitch. I'm assuming he won't, or else they wouldn't be able to sell any tickets from rows 1-10.

:cool:

doublem23
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
All I can say is I'm moving my season tickets to behind the Chiefs dugout.

Bucky F. Dent
07-25-2008, 02:16 PM
So how much heat will the Chicago media put on the Cubs?

This is their farm team.

I_Liked_Manuel
07-25-2008, 04:11 PM
So is whacking someone in the head with the stick in hockey, but some have been arrested and prosecuted for it.

um no, that's not part of the game

getonbckthr
07-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Everyone calling for a suspension, you guys are nuts. The next time he steps on a baseball diamond is a moment too soon. He should be banned.

asindc
07-25-2008, 05:19 PM
um no, that's not part of the game

2 minute minor for high sticking, unless we know he did it on purpose, then a suspension/possible criminal charges (the whack Brashear got comes to mind). Point is, it is a judgment call to make. This was an obviously extreme situation, but there have been less egregious situations that warranted suspension, IMO.

RockRiversoxfan
07-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Oh my. I will be attending the game at wrigley next week our seats are near the visting dugout:o: