PDA

View Full Version : Sox working on a bigger deal??

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Joe Cowely mention on the Score that Duch and Street Deal is like plan B or C. He also said that KW is working on a much bigger deal... 2 baseball GM said the Sox have become very active in the last 48 hours

Any ideas of who KW might want to bring here. My dream its Roy Halladay

sox1970
07-24-2008, 08:45 PM
:popcorn:

Tragg
07-24-2008, 08:46 PM
For someone like me who prefers that the Sox not make July deals, putting Oakland's used pitchers on the back burner is a plus.

Just don't chase any more middle relievers please. They are middle releivers for a reason.

Sockinchisox
07-24-2008, 08:46 PM
I love the trade deadline.

Tragg
07-24-2008, 08:48 PM

I like it when the Sox are sellers (maybe because the season has been horrible so that is at least intersting). I hate the deadline when the Sox are in the buying position.

gr8mexico
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
It looks like something big is going to happend. In the last 24 hours every time you read a rumor the Sox are involved. Im starting to think Orlando is gone. Especially when you see Ramirez play and the love he has for the game.

Optipessimism
07-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Joe Cowely mention on the Score that Duch and Street Deal is like plan B or C. He also said that KW is working on a much bigger deal... 2 baseball GM said the Sox have become very active in the last 48 hours

Any ideas of who KW might want to bring here. My dream its Roy Halladay
Let's get all three.

Seriously though, Roy Halladay is the one guy I'd give up Floyd or Vazquez for. If you can package one of those guys with Fields and a prospect I'd love to get Halladay.

Then we can sell the farm for Duch.

Halladay
Buehrle
Duchscherer
Danks
Vazquez

That's an '05-like starting rotation, maybe better (more talent than '05 but the Sox starters had some phenomenal seasons). It's a pipe dream, but whatever, it's the trade deadline and it's fun to wish.

nodiggity59
07-24-2008, 08:53 PM
If Halladay goes on the market, I see KW making as big of a push as anyone. I could see him offering Floyd, Fields, and eating Uribe's salary in order to get a decent "B" prospect from the Red Sox to use in a Halladay deal.

For all the crap Uribe gets here, and deservedly so, he may be better than any of Boston's current options at SS. If the Sox will pay his salary, and KW has said that money is no object, the Sox could have something cooking on that front.

We'll see.

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 08:55 PM
OC must be in the dog house. I'm suprised that he is on the trading block

btrain929
07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
OC must be in the dog house. I'm suprised that he is on the trading block

Especially considering we'd get 2 draft picks for him when he leaves, I'd be really surprised if he left. Maybe that is what's making him attractive to other teams.

Domeshot17
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Ehhhhh, if there is something us Sox Fans have learned at the trade deadline, its this:

(1) Kenny works so hard, we get linked to freaking everyone

(2) Kenny won't over pay, and rarely makes a HUGE splash (Everett, Alomar was about it)

(3) If you are reading about a player to the sox, or a player leaving the Sox, they aren't involved. Kenny very rarely is not 'under the radar'.

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 09:03 PM
What can we get from the Dodgers for OC?
Is KW gonna try use Thome's sudden surge as a way to deal him?
Is Street being brought up because KW has personal concern for Jenks health after his injury and the fact he is arbitration eligible?

KyWhiSoxFan
07-24-2008, 09:10 PM
I realize this is all speculation, but if the Sox do trade Cabrera, they would have to keep Uribe. Uribe could take over at short, or would be the backup at SS, 2B, and 3B. With Crede's back problems, they must a backup who can play third. And they have no one else who could take over if Crede could not play.

They could get Ozuna back, I suppose, but Uribe is a better option, to me anyway.

I'm going on the assumption that Fields would be traded as well; with the Sox getting pitching and another team getting a position player or two. Maybe there will be a 3-team trade. A lot of teams are still in the playoff mix and need to make a move.

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
I realize this is all speculation, but if the Sox do trade Cabrera, they would have to keep Uribe. Uribe could take over at short, or would be the backup at SS, 2B, and 3B. With Crede's back problems, they must a backup who can play third. And they have no one else who could take over if Crede could not play.

They could get Ozuna back, I suppose, but Uribe is a better option, to me anyway.

I'm going on the assumption that Fields would be traded as well; with the Sox getting pitching and another team getting a position player or two. Maybe there will be a 3-team trade. A lot of teams are still in the playoff mix and need to make a move.

The only way I see OC moving (this season) is because Kenny found a 2b and Alexei is moving over to short.

gr8mexico
07-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Can the Sox get Andy LaRoche(Dodgers) for Orlando Cabrera and then trade Josh Fields, Lance Broadway, Clayton Richards & Cris Getz for Brian Roberts and George Sherill(Orioles).

WhiteSoxOnly
07-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Can the Sox get Andy LaRoche(Dodgers) for Orlando Cabrera and then trade Josh Fields, Lance Broadway, Clayton Richards & Cris Getz for Brian Roberts and George Sherill(Orioles).

The second part sounds ok to me but is Andy LaRoche enough of
a return for OC ? :scratch:

Brian26
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Yeah, this is definitely a fun time of the year.

kevingrt
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM
:popcorn:

:gulp:

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2008, 09:38 PM
**** yes.

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 09:44 PM
That would be a steal by Kenny.

gr8mexico
07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm starting to think that the Sox already have something lineup for a replacement for 2nd base. I just read this on MLBTRADERUMORS.COM That White Sox have become aggressive, and apparently had failed talks about Orlando Cabrera with the Red Sox. Josh Fields is not considered untouchable. It looks like the Sox want to move Orlando ASAP

Noneck
07-24-2008, 09:46 PM

Remember, Cabrera is a 2 month player, one can't expect much in return for that.

fusillirob1983
07-24-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm glad there's something to keep me busy while the Sox have a day off.

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm starting to think that the Sox already have something lineup for a replacement for 2nd base. I just read this on MLBTRADERUMORS.COM That White Sox have become aggressive, and apparently had failed talks about Orlando Cabrera with the Red Sox. Josh Fields is not considered untouchable. It looks like the Sox want to move Orlando ASAP
It would have to be Roberts, wouldn't it? What other second basemen is available and could leadoff? How about Rickie Weeks?

Domeshot17
07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Remember, Cabrera is a 2 month player, one can't expect much in return for that.

Well, he is a 2 month rental who comes with 2 draft picks as a type A player. So if we could land a top 3b prospect like LaRoche in return, we HAVE to take it.

kevingrt
07-24-2008, 09:53 PM
It would have to be Roberts, wouldn't it? What other second basemen is available and could leadoff? How about Rickie Weeks?

Just wondering but what can't Alexei lead off? Not enough walks? Not a good enough eye?

Noneck
07-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Well, he is a 2 month rental who comes with 2 draft picks as a type A player. So if we could land a top 3b prospect like LaRoche in return, we HAVE to take it.

Of course as long as they then get someone to help for this year also.

CashMan
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Just wondering but what can't Alexei lead off? Not enough walks? Not a good enough eye?

Makes too much sense.

getonbckthr
I just assumed if it was option they would have tried it already.

DeadMoney

He swings at everything! Although, Alexei is a lot like Vlad (Guerrero) in that he can actually hit the crap he swings at.

gr8mexico
Yeah that's very under the radar no one is talking about Roberts. Come on Kenny make it happend

WhiteSoxOnly
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM

That part i get but please enlighten me on LaRoche who i
admittedly don't know **** about other than he is hitting
worse than Uribe...

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2008, 10:00 PM
worse than Uribe...
Fantastic hitter in the minors, amazing K/BB ratio, great power and eye. Limitless potential at 3B.

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah that's very under the radar no one is talking about Roberts. Come on Kenny make it happend
Roberts and Sherrill for Fields, Getz, Richard and Poreda? Then send Logan down or even include him in the deal?

Noneck
07-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Fantastic hitter in the minors, amazing K/BB ratio, great power and eye. Limitless potential at 3B.

But someone that can not help the Sox now, so another deal would have to be completed in order for this to work.

gr8mexico
07-24-2008, 10:05 PM
worse than Uribe...
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/L/andy-laroche.shtml
and
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pecota/larocan01.php

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Roberts is signed thru 09 at 8 million.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-24-2008, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=gr8mexico;1974683]http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/L/andy-laroche.shtml
and
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pecota/larocan01.php[/QUOTE

Thanks gr8 & Grebeck for the info...but Walt Williams has a good point
in that we need something in return for OC now.LaRoche sounds like
a replacement for Crede when/if Joe leaves.Hell,maybe Kenny pulls
off a couple deals.Stay tuned.

russ99
07-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm not convinced O.C. is going anywhere. He's too valuable for us this year and anything we can get for him as a rental is probably less value than the compensation picks we get if/when he leaves as a FA.

Unless we can grab a top leadoff guy at 2B/SS (Reyes? :tongue:) with other parts, he's probably here for at least the rest of the season, and ya never know - he might even stay if the Sox make a competitive FA offer - He's 34 and won't be looking for megabucks. Personally, I love the Ramirez-Cabrera middle infield.

He's certainly worth more than Lowe, that's for sure. But maybe if LA throws in one of their hitter prospects...

gr8mexico
07-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Remember to get the draft picks the White Sox have to offer arbitration. Maybe the Sox think they might get stuck with O.C and with a cheaper and better option at SS next year is better to get rid of him now and getting Roberts.

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Manaya loves Contreras:

Contreras for Reyes?

oeo
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Remember to get the draft picks the White Sox have to offer arbitration. Maybe the Sox think they might get stuck with O.C and with a cheaper and better option at SS next year is better to get rid of him now and getting Roberts.

Or maybe Cabrera is requesting a trade? That's my thinking, anyway.

I can't see Kenny wanting to deal him. I think this is Cabrera wanting out.

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
The Sox need a lead off hitter, plain and simple.

OC is not the answer and there are already two guys on our roster (Uribe & Alexei) who I would feel confident with the glove at SS the rest of the way.

pearso66
07-24-2008, 11:16 PM

I don't think Cabrera would accept arbitration. He is looking for one last 3-4 year deal, so I think arbitration is a no brainer. Same thing for Crede, I think he could possibly make it to a type B free agent, but who knows.

soxfanreggie
07-24-2008, 11:35 PM
I have always said that I'm willing to deal guys if it makes the team better off...better players or better for the clubhouse. I do not, though, want to get fleeced by Billy Beane or any other GM. I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be great to get Dursch and Street both?" Then I thought, we wouldn't have much of a AA or AAA team after that trade.

Taliesinrk
07-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Exactly something like this. If Fields is dealt, you can bet the farm that either Crede gets locked up (no idea what the current status is of that with health, slump, etc.), or we get a 3B coming back our way. Further, you can bet the title to your car that if we move OC, we get Brian Roberts or a 2B/CF and lead-off hitter in return. Maybe I'm tired, but those scenarios would have to play out like that.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-24-2008, 11:57 PM
I have always said that I'm willing to deal guys if it makes the team better off...better players or better for the clubhouse. I do not, though, want to get fleeced by Billy Beane or any other GM. I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be great to get Dursch and Street both?" Then I thought, we wouldn't have much of a AA or AAA team after that trade.

Do the Sox need good minor league teams? Or a good major league team? In looking at what they have right now, their AAA and AA aren't great. Charlotte is in second in its division but has a losing record. How many of their players figure to contribute to the Sox in the next year? Getz, maybe. Fields, maybe, if he's not traded, though his stats at AAA are fairly maudlin.

Birmingham is second in its division with a second-half record of 17-15, though they won their division in the first half. Birmingham has few, if any, position players that look like they would make the majors. Their pitchers are a decent group and some of them have a chance, but are several years away from that opportunity.

KW always has the philosophy of win now. He would trade away the chance a couple of guys might help the team a year or two down the road to try to make the playoffs this year.

UofCSoxFan
07-24-2008, 11:58 PM
I like it when the Sox are sellers (maybe because the season has been horrible so that is at least intersting). I hate the deadline when the Sox are in the buying position.

Well being in the buying position means the games on the field are a lot more interesting. Being in the selling position means you usually aquire guys you've never heard of but can help you 2,3 years down the road.

My views on the trade deadline are: if we get better great....but I'm more concerned that the BoSox, Yankess, Angels, Twins, or Det get better. If everything stays pat, I'm content.

soxfanreggie
07-24-2008, 11:59 PM
I just don't want to see us way over-pay for someone and look at ourselves 2 or 3 years down the road with a very empty cupboard.

UofCSoxFan
07-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Do the Sox need good minor league teams? Or a good major league team? In looking at what they have right now, their AAA and AA aren't great. Charlotte is in second in its division but has a losing record. How many of their players figure to contribute to the Sox in the next year? Getz, maybe. Fields, maybe, if he's not traded, though his stats at AAA are fairly maudlin.

Birmingham is second in its division with a second-half record of 17-15, though they won their division in the first half. Birmingham has few, if any, position players that look like they would make the majors. Their pitchers are a decent group and some of them have a chance, but are several years away from that opportunity.

KW always has the philosophy of win now. He would trade away the chance a couple of guys might help the team a year or two down the road to try to make the playoffs this year.

My dad coaches freshman high school baseball and its kind of the same thing...how the fresh and soph team feed into the varsity and the varsity team will sacrifice the lower levels' records if it helps them.. Their stance is that if they can just develop 6 or 7 varsity palyers a year, that's all it takes to build a good varsity team, even though the lower level teams may struggle with only 6 good players. That's how I view the minors. If we develop only 2 or 3 guys a draft class that can contribute solidly at the top level (or be traded for top talent) that is all you really need, as long as you have a decent payroll (which we do). Obviously teams like the Twins or Marlins need much deeper minor league systems because they aren't players in free agency at all.

ChiSoxIn06
07-25-2008, 12:12 AM
i heard on the score today that beckham may be our 3B of the future and makes fields expendible...no sure how far beckham is away but they way they were talking he is going to be up here in the next 2-3 years.

Noneck
07-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Obviously teams like the Twins or Marlins need much deeper minor league systems because they aren't players in free agency at all.
And the Sox are players in the free agent market in what way?

Rockabilly
07-25-2008, 12:20 AM
I read on another Sox fan site

that the Atlanta Braves scouts were scouting Poerda tonight.. I'm not to sure what the Braves have to offer us...

Martinigirl
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM

Oh and are we going to go down the road of how cheap the Sox are now? Let's review last off season: we refused to OVER pay for Hunter and Fukudome wanted to play for the Cubs. We didn't cheap out. We were players in the free agent market.

Noneck
07-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Oh and are we going to go down the road of how cheap the Sox are now? Let's review last off season: we refused to OVER pay for Hunter and Fukudome wanted to play for the Cubs. We didn't cheap out. We were players in the free agent market.

Please read all of UofCSoxFan post, this is about the importance of the minor league system not about over paying FA's.

GAsoxfan
07-25-2008, 12:28 AM

that the Atlanta Braves scouts were scouting Poerda tonight.. I'm not to sure what the Braves have to offer us...

Tim Hudson?

Rockabilly
07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Tim Hudson?

Didn't Hudson get hurt the other night?

GAsoxfan
07-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Didn't Hudson get hurt the other night?

He left after six innings, but he said he's going to make his next start.

Martinigirl
07-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Please read all of UofCSoxFan post, this is about the importance of the minor league system not about over paying FA's.

Your post seemed to be insinuating we were not players in the FA market and I was just pointing out examples of us being in the market.

gr8mexico
07-25-2008, 12:35 AM

Mark Teixeira:tongue:

Noneck
07-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Your post seemed to be insinuating we were not players in the FA market and I was just pointing out examples of us being in the market.
No , I was insinuating that since we aren't in the free agent market to invest like Minn and Florida in the minor league system.

champagne030
07-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Iwe wouldn't have much of a AA or AAA team after that trade.

And we have one now? :scratch:

Tragg
07-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Roberts and Sherrill for Fields, Getz, Richard and Poreda? Then send Logan down or even include him in the deal?

Good gracious - that's just ridiculous.

Optipessimism
07-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Exactly something like this. If Fields is dealt, you can bet the farm that either Crede gets locked up (no idea what the current status is of that with health, slump, etc.), or we get a 3B coming back our way. Further, you can bet the title to your car that if we move OC, we get Brian Roberts or a 2B/CF and lead-off hitter in return. Maybe I'm tired, but those scenarios would have to play out like that.

I dunno, if the Sox want to move Orlando then I wouldn't mind a deal that sends OC to the Dodgers for a pieces which we could then deal for a pitcher to keep Fields, or if we could get a 3B to keep (DeWitt, LaRoche) from the Dodgers as part of the package and then deal Fields for a pitcher.

Losing OC as the lead-off guy without replacing him with a true lead-off guy *might* hurt some, but assuming we could add a top of the rotation starter (at least someone who is a top-end starter this year) I'd be all for it. If you move Alexei to SS you could bring up Getz to lead off and play 2B, or maybe deal a marginal prospect or two to Toronto for Eckstein to play 2B and lead off.

There are options, but IMO SP is the most important. I don't trust Jose and I don't trust Gavin and Danks to keep this up as they haven't pitched that many innings before in their careers. The last thing I want to see is the Sox make the playoffs after a hard fight but lose quickly in the first round because Buehrle is the only dependable starter they've got left. Adding insurance, if possible, should be the highest priority.

Sockinchisox
07-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Cowley's new article doesn't say much at all, other than every deal they're trying to make is for pitching and they all involve Fields.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1074182,CST-SPT-joe25.article

Domeshot17
07-25-2008, 01:22 AM

I know Ohman has been drawing a lot interest and is pitching great, but not for Poreda.

Its not the Braves style, but I wonder if the Sox could pull off a package deal with Konerko and Poreda for Texiera and Ohman move.

LoveYourSuit
07-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Tim Hudson?

Good call.

I had just mentioned him to a buddy this morning.

Hudson > Duscherer (I don't care about the spelling)

hose
07-25-2008, 07:31 AM

Sounds like Andy Marte......a few years ago.

oeo
07-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Good call.

I had just mentioned him to a buddy this morning.

Hudson > Duscherer (I don't care about the spelling)

Didn't Hudson just leave his last outing with an elbow injury? Pass...

cws05champ
07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't want to trade OC. Look he may be a bit selfish, but he is not only our lead off hitter, but a GG shortstop and a live personality in the clubhouse. He is one of those guys we brought in that was a good clubhouse guy and brings a fire. If he leaves Swish will be the only one talking and just annoy the heck out of everyone.

If we are serious about winning this year, you keep OC...

Gammons Peter
07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Good gracious - that's just ridiculous.

Yes, Balt would never trade two All Stars for that collection of stiffs

Lillian
07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
The Sox need a true Ace at the top of the rotation. They have several #2 and #3 guys in Javy, Mark, Danks and Floyd, but no real Ace. If Kenny can get an Ace, like Halladay, shouldn't we be prepared to deal Fields and Floyd, or something comparable?

As far as O. C. is concerned, it seems clear that we have our shortstop, for now and the future, in the Cuban Missile. If trading O.C. can be used to get that Ace for the staff, then that's appealing, at least to this fan. I don't see the need to look for another middle infielder in that the Sox have internal options, starting with Getz, and Richar, and then the soon to be signed Beckham.
I understand that O. C. will net a couple of draft picks when he becomes a free agent, but if we can get at least equal pieces now, that is preferable, as it could help the Sox in their Pennant drive, which draft picks don't.
The issue raised in this thread regarding the need to offer O. C. arbitration is not a problem, as I don't think the Sox would object to a one year deal for him. It is the need to commit to a long term deal for a 34 year old shortstop that management would find unacceptable. One year wouldn't be bad, as Beckham wouldn't be ready until at least 2010.

Tragg
07-25-2008, 09:17 AM
He's been injured a lot.
Most of these Beane (or ex Beane) pitchers are over-used and injured. Mulder anybody?

Stay away.

If we need an ace at the top of the rotation, get one in the offseason, when we should have substantial FA $.

btrain929
07-25-2008, 09:37 AM

1st deal = hell no.
2nd deal = closer, but still no.

CashMan
07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I know Ohman has been drawing a lot interest and is pitching great, but not for Poreda.

Its not the Braves style, but I wonder if the Sox could pull off a package deal with Konerko and Poreda for Texiera and Ohman move.

I am pretty sure, Konerko is a 5-10 player. So, he would have to agree to it.

btrain929
07-25-2008, 09:42 AM

1) He won't accept.
2) If he does, i'd be happy about it. I'd rather go with Cabrera/Ramirez than Ramirez/question mark.

btrain929
07-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Or maybe Cabrera is requesting a trade? That's my thinking, anyway.

I can't see Kenny wanting to deal him. I think this is Cabrera wanting out.

Yeah, I can picture it now.

"I can't STAND playing for a contending team with a shot to go to the World Series. Kenny, you gotta help me out here. Cincinnatti needs a SS. What are you waiting for, KW?"

btrain929
07-25-2008, 09:47 AM
i heard on the score today that beckham may be our 3B of the future and makes fields expendible...no sure how far beckham is away but they way they were talking he is going to be up here in the next 2-3 years.

Well if we trade Fields and Crede doesn't come back, he won't be ready by '09.

Plus, let's get the kid signed first.....

btrain929
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM

We always come in 2nd :tongue:

btrain929
07-25-2008, 09:49 AM

Teixiera :o:. But I don't know if I'd wanna do that with him being a rental. But gold glove defense and a switch hitter, I'd love to look at him really hard in the offseason.

07-25-2008, 09:50 AM

"I can't STAND playing for a contending team with a shot to go to the World Series. Kenny, you gotta help me out here. Cincinnatti needs a SS. What are you waiting for, KW?"

Agreed. Although we never know exactly what Kenny Williams has up his sleeve, he's been pretty consistent on one thing ... he wants to win this year.

I would be shocked if any deal he made at this point would take anything away from this current team, except possibly a spare part. In my estimation he wants to add to the team. Dealing away a SS who has been through pennant races and knows how to win doesn't seem like Kenny's MO right now.

CashMan
07-25-2008, 09:50 AM

You are talking about a guy, who walked away from a World Series team a few years ago, after they won a ring. I wouldn't be surprised, if OC is on Kenny and Ozzie's bad side, considering Kenny and Ozzie carry grudges i.e. BA, McCarthy, that maybe he doesn't want to be on the team?

07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Teixiera :o:. But I don't know if I'd wanna do that with him being a rental. But gold glove defense and a switch hitter, I'd love to look at him really hard in the offseason.

He's a Boras client so I highly doubt anything would happen.

oeo
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM

All the rumors have him going to a contending team, anyway.

But since you wanted to be an ass...if he's not happy here, then he's not happy. Maybe he wants out just because he can't stand it here?

PatK
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Why is everyone so hell bent on getting rid of OC?

CashMan
07-25-2008, 09:55 AM

Would he be considered a class A FA like OC? If so, would you not get 2 picks in the 1st rd for him, and get rid of salary? I am not saying this is going to happen, or I want it to.

oeo
07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
You are talking about a guy, who walked away from a World Series team a few years ago, after they won a ring. I wouldn't be surprised, if OC is on Kenny and Ozzie's bad side, considering Kenny and Ozzie carry grudges i.e. BA, McCarthy, that maybe he doesn't want to be on the team?

What kind of 'grudge' did they hold on either of those players? :scratch:

I don't remember one instance of trouble between the Sox and McCarthy until after he was traded and he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Also, Brian Anderson is on the 25-man roster...what a grudge they're holding on him.

btrain929
07-25-2008, 09:58 AM

I agree. The main reason KW doesn't like working with Borass is cuz he gets mediocre players a **** ton of money. But a guy like Teixeira, there's no arguing. He's a stud, plain and simple, and would be the face of our franchise for the next 5-7 years and would be our Konerko replacement. Especially if we get some money off our books next year (Thome, Crede, maybe Contreras). I'd rather us go after him than here KW say "if Konerko performs at his career averages, we will be fine." :angry::angry:

btrain929
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
All the rumors have him going to a contending team, anyway.

But since you wanted to be an ass...if he's not happy here, then he's not happy. Maybe he wants out just because he can't stand it here?

Let's just put it this way, he's not requesting a trade. Paint it however you want, he's not.

If we do trade him for some reason, like I said, it better be for something worth more than those 2 draft picks.

CashMan
07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
What kind of 'grudge' did they hold on either of those players? :scratch:

I don't remember one instance of trouble between the Sox and McCarthy until after he was traded and he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Also, Brian Anderson is on the 25-man roster...what a grudge they're holding on him.

Starts a entire season, then next year rather than develop, send him down. Later, I believe they said he had "growing up to do". But, I guess having a 50yr old, rent a player instead of BA playing was a better decision for the club in the long run.

GAsoxfan
07-25-2008, 10:05 AM

He's going to make his next start.

GAsoxfan
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
He's been injured a lot.
Most of these Beane (or ex Beane) pitchers are over-used and injured. Mulder anybody?

Stay away.

If we need an ace at the top of the rotation, get one in the offseason, when we should have substantial FA $.

Hudson has been extremely durable. This is his 4th season with the Braves. He's only had less than 200 IP once in that time (192 IP his first season), and he's on pace for more than 200 IP again this year.

jabrch
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Kenny and Ozzie carry grudges i.e. BA, McCarthy,

More of this sillyness?

oeo
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Starts a entire season, then next year rather than develop, send him down. Later, I believe they said he had "growing up to do". But, I guess having a 50yr old, rent a player instead of BA playing was a better decision for the club in the long run.

He sucks at hitting...that's not the Sox fault, other than drafting him.

And he did have a lot of growing up to do. He appears to have done that, so props to him.

asindc
07-25-2008, 10:16 AM
More of this sillyness?

Now, you know better than thinking that the FOBAs will just let it go!:cool:

oeo
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
He's going to make his next start.

Cool.

He still left the game with an elbow problem. That's never a good sign.

jabrch
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Now, you know better than thinking that the FOBAs will just let it go!:cool:

It's not just them though...The FOFOBB also...

Noboy had any grudge against McCarthy. WE GOT A BETTER PITCHER FOR HIM. Our manager, coaches, GM, etc. put the best players on the field based on their judgement. They don't make choices based on grudges. That's just sillyness.

07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Would he be considered a class A FA like OC? If so, would you not get 2 picks in the 1st rd for him, and get rid of salary? I am not saying this is going to happen, or I want it to.

As you allude to, it's highly doubtful it would happen, but yes, he'd net draft picks but not two in the first round. If the Braves finish in the bottom 15 they (Atlanta) wouldn't lose their first pick anyways. You'd net a sandwich pick and a 2nd. Plus Tex makes a ton of coin so I'm not sure about getting rid of salary.

Anyways ... the main point is no one knows what KW is thinking or planning on doing. He always wants pitching and he always seems to aim high. Guys like Washburn don't seem to be his kind of target acquisition. But it sure is interesting to hear all this chatter ... things do seem to be heating up. It's fun to be a fan at this time of year.

btrain929
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
As you allude to, it's highly doubtful it would happen, but yes, he'd net draft picks but not two in the first round. If the Braves finish in the bottom 15 they (Atlanta) wouldn't lose their first pick anyways. You'd net a sandwich pick and a 2nd. Plus Tex makes a ton of coin so I'm not sure about getting rid of salary.

Anyways ... the main point is no one knows what KW is thinking or planning on doing. He always wants pitching and he always seems to aim high. Guys like Washburn don't seem to be his kind of target acquisition. But it sure is interesting to hear all this chatter ... things do seem to be heating up. It's fun to be a fan at this time of year.

Agreed. It'd be great if he was there really to scout Brandon Morrow in hopes of turning him into a starter. That kid is good.

turners56
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM

You'd much rather have Juan Uribe instead.

pythons007
07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Agreed. It'd be great if he was there really to scout Brandon Morrow in hopes of turning him into a starter. That kid is good.

I think before Putz went down with that injury that was the plan for Seattle. He has been lights out as their part time closer so far. I really don't see Seattle trading him for anything.

champagne030
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM
They don't make choices based on grudges. How do you know? Are you a GM? Manager?

Rauch? Tracey? Ring any bells?

turners56
07-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Rauch and Tracey don't like each other?

Lukin13
07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Pure fun speculation:

Orioles Get:
Poreda
Fields
Uribe
Richar
Bowden
L Anderson
Bard

Red Sox Get:
O Cabrera
G Sherrill

White Sox Get:
Roberts
D Cabrera (or Melvin Mora if Crede is beat up more than we know)

Honestly, I have no real idea of what prospects the Red Sox would give up/what the Orioles might want... BUT when you get OC you are also getting the draft picks, so obviously it has to be something pretty attractive.

pythons007
07-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Pure fun speculation:

Orioles Get:
Poreda
Fields
Uribe
Richar
Bowden
L Anderson
Bard

Red Sox Get:
O Cabrera
G Sherrill

White Sox Get:
Roberts

Honestly, I have no real idea of what prospects the Red Sox would give up/what the Orioles might want... BUT when you get OC you are also getting the draft picks, so obviously it has to be something pretty attractive.

Thats a lot of players the Sox give up for B. Roberts and an inconsistant D. Cabrera.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Thats a lot of players the Sox give up for B.
Roberts and an inconsistant D. Cabrera.

Roberts would be nice, but I want no part of Daniel Cabrera.

asindc
07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Roberts would be nice, but I want no part of Daniel Cabrera.

Neither do I. If they gave us Jeremy Guthrie instead (which they wouldn't), then we could talk.

Lukin13
07-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Thats a lot of players the Sox give up for B. Roberts and an inconsistant D. Cabrera.

I agree, especially if you consider OCabrera = 2 picks.

But as we all see on this board and other team's sites that we as fans generally post ridiculously lopsided deals in favor of our team... I just wanted to play it safe.

I also think Hank Blaylock is going to be dealt this week. He has a very attractive 6.5 million dollar option for next season. With Crede being gone and the possibility of Fields getting delt or not reaching expectations, I think adding Blaylock would be a nice addition for this season as well as next. He would be great insurance for Crede, Paulie and at worst a big left handed bat off the bench down the stretch. The only problem (outside of his injury prone past) is that with that cheap option he most likely is pretty valuable.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Good story looking at the latest rumors and long term the upcoming off season. Supposedly a pattern is forming with the Sox on this. I.e. Crede will sign with the Angels, Figgins acquired by Sox, Orlando Hudson signs with Sox...

Also was in touch with one of the beat writers today who said "something" has been going on with the Sox the past few days regarding the trade deadline.

Lip

Madvora
07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Good story looking at the latest rumors and long term the upcoming off season. Supposedly a pattern is forming with the Sox on this. I.e. Crede will sign with the Angels, Figgins acquired by Sox, Orlando Hudson signs with Sox...

Also was in touch with one of the beat writers today who said "something" has been going on with the Sox the past few days regarding the trade deadline.

Lip
I getting pretty excited about the deadline. I can't wait to see what happens.

Taliesinrk
07-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Lip

Hudson SIGNS with Sox? When would this be?

Nevermind - I decided to read the article

Gammons Peter
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Hudson SIGNS with Sox? When would this be?

January

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Lip

Hudson for 2B and Alexei to SS? Where would Figgins play--3B and Fields would just uh, play wherever unless traded? Also, doesn't Hudson supposedly want $10+ mil? No way is he worth that much.

the1tab
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Pure fun speculation:

Orioles Get:
Poreda
Fields
Uribe
Richar
Bowden
L Anderson
Bard

Red Sox Get:
O Cabrera
G Sherrill

White Sox Get:
Roberts

OC already had his shot at Beantown and got run... not happening.

I could see a blockbuster w/ Atlanta & the Yankees going down w/ Teixeira heading to NY if Posada decides to have surgery. A switch-hitting stud 1B sounds a lot more up any Steinbrenner's ally than Richie Sexson/Jason Giambi for 2+ more months. Maybe throw in Kelly Johnson & Mark Kotsay for Cano, a mediocre bat (Cabrera?) and a junk arm?

Mohoney
07-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Hudson for 2B and Alexei to SS? Where would Figgins play--3B and Fields would just uh, play wherever unless traded? Also, doesn't Hudson supposedly want $10+ mil? No way is he worth that much.

He might play the position he was born to play, and that would be DH.

the1tab
07-25-2008, 01:14 PM

Lip

ESPN.com's Rumor Central says there was a deal in place that was a straight-up Uribe for Alex Cora swap w/ Boston that the BoSox pulled out of last minute. It's insider only, so link won't help. It's got today (Fri 7/25) as the date.

The Immigrant
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
ESPN.com's Rumor Central says there was a deal in place that was a straight-up Uribe for Alex Cora swap w/ Boston that the BoSox pulled out of last minute. It's insider only, so link won't help. It's got today (Fri 7/25) as the date.

Wow, how did this story not get any coverage at WSI? Leave it to ESPN to scoop everyone else!

:wink:

kraut83
07-25-2008, 01:21 PM

I still can't figure out how this benefits either team. :?:

But hey, we would have 2 Williams, 2 Guillens, and 2 Coras in the organization.

Gammons Peter
07-25-2008, 01:24 PM
From the AZ Republic:

The loss of second baseman Emilio Bonifacio doesn't exactly change the D'Back's plans, as they were skeptical on his ability to become a regular anyway. Still, people are asking whether they'll try to re-sign Orlando Hudson. Piecoro says Hudson is expected to test the free agent market, and doesn't seem likely to offer a discount. His salary should exceed $10MM.

turners56
07-25-2008, 01:26 PM
From the AZ Republic:

The loss of second baseman Emilio Bonifacio doesn't exactly change the D'Back's plans, as they were skeptical on his ability to become a regular anyway. Still, people are asking whether they'll try to re-sign Orlando Hudson. Piecoro says Hudson is expected to test the free agent market, and doesn't seem likely to offer a discount. His salary should exceed $10MM.

I would love to have a guy like O-Dog on this team. Incredible defense and a reliable bat. Perfect for the bottom of the order or near the top in the 2 hole.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
He might play the position he was born to play, and that would be DH.

Thome would be in his way, next season.

OC already had his shot at Beantown and got run... not happening.

I could see a blockbuster w/ Atlanta & the Yankees going down w/ Teixeira heading to NY if Posada decides to have surgery. A switch-hitting stud 1B sounds a lot more up any Steinbrenner's ally than Richie Sexson/Jason Giambi for 2+ more months. Maybe throw in Kelly Johnson & Mark Kotsay for Cano, a mediocre bat (Cabrera?) and a junk arm?

I don't see the Yankees trading Cano. Teixeira's value over Giambi is defense (a huge one), but they're have similar seasons offensively. Problem with Teixeira going to NY is that next year they'll have to find time for Posada at either 1B or DH, but Damon and Matsui has also filled time time and DH this year, as well.

turners56
07-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Thome would be in his way, next season.

I don't see the Yankees trading Cano. Teixeira's value over Giambi is defense (a huge one), but they're have similar seasons offensively. Problem with Teixeira going to NY is that next year they'll have to find time for Posada at either 1B or DH, but Damon and Matsui has also filled time time and DH this year, as well.

If I were the Yankees, I wouldn't do it either. According to the rumors, the Dodgers are willing to give up both Kemp and Lowe for Cano. The trade is basically a rental of Lowe and Cano for Kemp. I don't think the Yankees have anybody else at 2B who can solidify the position. Plus, the Yankees have enough OFers as is. I don't see why that trade would make much sense for the Yankees in the long haul.

Gammons Peter
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Teixeira has played a little third base....

7 E's in 15 games

Randar68
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
The only way I see OC moving (this season) is because Kenny found a 2b and Alexei is moving over to short.

Brian Roberts at 2B, Ramirez at SS? Hmmmmm.

munchman33
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Hudson is probably the most underrated player in the game. I'd give him $10 million, easily. Above average OBP, ridiculous defense. Team player and grinder. Sign me up.

JermaineDye05
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm intrigued to see what happens, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I remember in '05, just waiting for Griffey to be traded to the sox.

munchman33
07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm intrigued to see what happens, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I remember in '05, just waiting for Griffey to be traded to the sox.

Three years later, that rumor still won't die.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Hudson is probably the most underrated player in the game. I'd give him $10 million, easily. Above average OBP, ridiculous defense. Team player and grinder. Sign me up.

2B isn't really a need for the Sox, though. The money would better off spent in other areas. If we're spending that kind of money on a player, then might as well just re-sign Crede.

turners56
07-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Teixeira has played a little third base....

7 E's in 15 games

Wow, that's real bad.

SoxNation05
07-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Starting pitchers we haven't heard but may be on the market:
Roy Oswalt
Aaron Harang (if healthy)
Ian Snell

I am just throwing these names out ther because I cannot see Kenny making a move for a pitcher he was rumored to, he always does something under the radar. I am not saying any of these rumored moves won't happen but all these pitchers are on teams that are out of the race.

palehozenychicty
07-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Starting pitchers we haven't heard but may be on the market:
Roy Oswalt
Aaron Harang (if healthy)
Ian Snell

I am just throwing these names out ther because I cannot see Kenny making a move for a pitcher he was rumored to, he always does something under the radar. I am not saying any of these rumored moves won't happen but all these pitchers are on teams that are out of the race.

That would definitely be a KW move. Ian Snell has a good arm, but he plays for the Pirates. I think a better team could harness his ability..

oeo
07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
That would definitely be a KW move. Ian Snell has a good arm, but he plays for the Pirates. I think a better team could harness his ability..

Even if that's true, it's not a move for this year. He'd probably have to be treated a lot like Floyd was.

Tragg
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I hope the Sox trade some of their 2B - Getz or Richar (and I like Richar)- if they make a trade. Not only do we have a surplus, but there are several good ones as FAs for next year and we will have money. Surplus non 2b prospects we don't have.

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Much like Todd Ritchie, eh?? I'm not saying that Snell is doomed for failure like Richie, but that's what people said about him too.

doublem23
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Much like Todd Ritchie, eh?? I'm not saying that Snell is doomed for failure like Richie, but that's what people said about him too.

Except that just about everyone beside KW knew Ritchie sucked. Snell is only 26 and has some good peripherals, unlike Ritchie who was 30 when we acquired him and had 1 good season for Pittsburgh before having 2 mediocre ones.

I don't think its an invalid argument, but I think 10 out of 10 people would take current Ian Snell over 2001 Todd Ritchie.

turners56
07-25-2008, 03:28 PM

Ian Snell also has ZERO control. Remember his start against us? He walked like 7 guys.

munchman33
07-25-2008, 03:32 PM
2B isn't really a need for the Sox, though. The money would better off spent in other areas. If we're spending that kind of money on a player, then might as well just re-sign Crede.

Is that enough for Crede? If it is, I agree with you. But I'm not convinced we don't get outbid.

Tragg
07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Flawed pitchers can be excellent value, if you can get them at steep discounts (thornton, Floyd)

Gammons Peter
07-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Is that enough for Crede? If it is, I agree with you. But I'm not convinced we don't get outbid.

Crede on the DL.

...Teixeira time

cbrownson13
07-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Word is Rockies are shopping Garrett Atkins instead of Holliday to make room for their young 3B.

With Crede going to the DL and Konerko struggling, Atkins would be a great addition.

Hitting over .300 with some power and not too shabby with the glove. Can play the corner infield positions well and even started a game at 2B this year.

Problem is, what does it take to get him?

palehozenychicty
07-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Word is Rockies are shopping Garrett Atkins instead of Holliday to make room for their young 3B.

With Crede going to the DL and Konerko struggling, Atkins would be a great addition.

Hitting over .300 with some power and not too shabby with the glove. Can play the corner infield positions well and even started a game at 2B this year.

They were, but Helton also has a tight back, so Atkins has been at first, while Ian Stewart has been at third. I think they're holding onto Atkins for now. He could be had in the offseason.

munchman33
07-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Crede on the DL.

...Teixeira time

You forgot the deep pink.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Crede on the DL.

...Teixeira time

Where would he play? Konerko and Swisher split time at 1B and Thome is DH. You'd flat out bench Paulie?

veeter
07-25-2008, 04:53 PM
I like it when the Sox are sellers (maybe because the season has been horrible so that is at least intersting). I hate the deadline when the Sox are in the buying position.I used to hate it. But now I'm over my 'you can't give up prospects' mind set. I think the Freddy trade got me over the hump. I loved Olivo, but after watching Freddy do his thing, I knew it was the right move.

getonbckthr
07-25-2008, 05:00 PM

I thought about that a couple weeks ago until I saw his numbers on the road.

MaggPipes
07-25-2008, 05:24 PM
So, he would be amazing at the cell. And not great on the road. Think that is ok.

munchman33
07-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Where would he play? Konerko and Swisher split time at 1B and Thome is DH. You'd flat out bench Paulie?

Other than nostalgia, what other reason for not benching him in that scenerio is there? :dunno:

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Other than nostalgia, what other reason for not benching him in that scenerio is there? :dunno:

That he is paid $12 mil/year, has a full no trade clause, and will be on the team for another two years.

turners56
07-25-2008, 06:38 PM
So, he would be amazing at the cell. And not great on the road. Think that is ok.

That's the entire Cubs offense. Suck on the road and hit at home. And hope the wind blows out.

munchman33
07-25-2008, 10:07 PM
That he is paid $12 mil/year, has a full no trade clause, and will be on the team for another two years.

And Texiera would be making more next year. Thome's salary would be on par. The fact of the matter is that Paulie simply looks like he isn't a major league regular anymore. Or a bench player for that matter. I'd like to think he's still hurt. But I'm starting to have serious doubts.

Tragg
07-25-2008, 10:10 PM
I used to hate it. But now I'm over my 'you can't give up prospects' mind set. I think the Freddy trade got me over the hump. I loved Olivo, but after watching Freddy do his thing, I knew it was the right move.
If we could get teams to give us players like the Yankees do, I'd be all for it.
The Pirates are a disgrace.

cws05champ
07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
If we could get teams to give us players like the Yankees do, I'd be all for it.
The Pirates are a disgrace.
In this instance I don't think the Pirates just gave them away...they got a few good players back.

Tragg
07-25-2008, 10:22 PM
In this instance I don't think the Pirates just gave them away...they got a few good players back.
My understanding is that they got 1 of the Yanks top 5 prospects in a seller's market.
Buster Olney's beaming from ear to ear - it's disgusting.

Craig Grebeck
07-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Relax. Jesus Christ. Teams aren't going to sell the farm for Damaso Marte and a C+ player having an absurdly abnormal season.

jabrch
07-25-2008, 10:27 PM

Agreed - Ohlendorf could be a mid rotation guy and Tabata is very young with loads of talent. Nice move for Pittsburgh. Neither Nady nor Marte are as good as they have been so far this year.

gr8mexico
07-25-2008, 11:36 PM
I just think teams are not giving up there young talents.

soxfanreggie
07-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Pretty much hearing crickets chirp on this. However, I wouldn't be completely suprised if I get a text from ESPN.com that the Sox made a move. Can't forget about the waiver wire either.