PDA

View Full Version : No More Peanuts (but still Cracker Jack)

Domeshot17
07-24-2008, 05:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Top-O-The-Order-DON-T-buy-me-some-peanuts-and-?urn=mlb,95734

Pretty Interesting. I don't have a peanut allergy, so maybe someone can fill me in. Does just the shells or residue in the air or general area cause someone to be impacted?

hi im skot
07-24-2008, 05:28 PM
That photo appears to be from the early days of Comiskey Park II.

ElevenUp
07-24-2008, 05:35 PM
My daughter has a peanut allergy. Forunately for her it's only if she eats peanuts, but for some people with peanut allergies all they need to do is inhale particles to get a severe reaction.

twentywontowin
07-24-2008, 05:37 PM
What a joke.

Is it just me or are people getting weaker? 50 years ago, you never heard of a peanut allergy. Now, you get kids who are allergic to all sorts of things. And of course, everyone's little Billy and Susie are a special little flower, and we have to change to accomodate them.

And now, rickets are starting to show back up in kids. Welcome to the year 1900.

I'm not singling out anyone here but some of these allergies are getting ridiculous.

doublem23
07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Pretty Interesting. I don't have a peanut allergy, so maybe someone can fill me in. Does just the shells or residue in the air or general area cause someone to be impacted?

Yes.

When I worked in Skokie for their park district, every facility had to have a peanut free room. Some kids were so bad that if someone had a PB&J sandwich, if they didn't properly wipe down the area, the next kid could be exposed to the oils from the peanuts and they'd have a reaction, potentially fatal.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 05:59 PM
I really have a hard time believing it's the actual peanuts themselves. Like another other condition, allergies don't just crop up out of nowhere. I hypothesize that it's either pesticides or fertilizers that are used in peanut agriculture, or perhaps genetically-engineered peanuts (hybrids) that are causing such a severe reaction.

bluestar
07-24-2008, 06:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Top-O-The-Order-DON-T-buy-me-some-peanuts-and-?urn=mlb,95734

For someone profoundly allergic to peanuts, simply touching a surface where peanuts have been can illicit a reaction. The proliferation of the use of peanut oil and other peanut products in cooking can make avoiding peanut residue very difficult.

I really have a hard time believing it's the actual peanuts themselves. Like another other condition, allergies don't just crop up out of nowhere. I hypothesize that it's either pesticides or fertilizers that are used in peanut agriculture, or perhaps genetically-engineered peanuts (hybrids) that are causing such a severe reaction.

There are no definitive answers as to why more people are developing peanut allergies, but the most prevalent theories are overexposure to peanut products at too young an age, overuse of certain antibiotics that make some people oversensitive to certain proteins, and the so-called "hygiene theory" that supposes that we have made our homes so "germ free" that our bodies are reacting by "attacking" (i.e. having an allergic reaction to) things that were previously considered harmless. The latter theory is supported by the fact that children raised in less sanitary and less affluent conditions (e.g. on farms and in more economically-challenged environments) have a lower incident of peanut allergies (and allergies in general, for that matter).

TomC727
07-24-2008, 08:04 PM
For someone profoundly allergic to peanuts, simply touching a surface where peanuts have been can illicit a reaction. The proliferation of the use of peanut oil and other peanut products in cooking can make avoiding peanut residue very difficult.

There are no definitive answers as to why more people are developing peanut allergies, but the most prevalent theories are overexposure to peanut products at too young an age, overuse of certain antibiotics that make some people oversensitive to certain proteins, and the so-called "hygiene theory" that supposes that we have made our homes so "germ free" that our bodies are reacting by "attacking" (i.e. having an allergic reaction to) things that were previously considered harmless. The latter theory is supported by the fact that children raised in less sanitary and less affluent conditions (e.g. on farms and in more economically-challenged environments) have a lower incident of peanut allergies (and allergies in general, for that matter).

To touch upon some of the posts. Are we getting weaker, YES!!!! But the subject of the peanut allergies in children, they range from mild symptoms from eating peanuts to full blown airway closure with exposure to just the dust. My thing is why punnish the vast majority for something that is in a small number of children. It is wrong for a ballpark to ban all peanut products. If your kid is allergic to peanuts, it sucks but life is unfair and these are the cards you get dealt. A peanut free area may be a nice compromise.

On the theory of why the rise in peanut allergies and allergies in general. The largest theory and most supported is the theory of "overcleanliness." Because of the rise in antibacterial soaps, disinfectants, antibiotic use, kids being sheltered in general, the body's immune system is never exposed to the antigens (fancy name for germs) it needs to be exposed to to recognize when to fight an infection. Without this exposure, the body will begin developing an autoimmune reaction where it attacks itself.

The theory of genetic engineering being involved is completely unfounded. Genetically engineered foods are completely safe and there is no evidence to the contrary. We have been eating genetically engineered fruits and vegetables for about a decade now without even people knowing it.

The peanut allergy discussion is pretty interesting and has even puzzled scientists.

Dr. TomC727

Over By There
07-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I guess this is becoming common now, but I was surprised when my kids started school that they can't bring PB&J sandwiches for lunch. I've been confused about this too - why wasn't it a bigger issue a generation ago?

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
What a joke.

Is it just me or are people getting weaker? 50 years ago, you never heard of a peanut allergy. Now, you get kids who are allergic to all sorts of things. And of course, everyone's little Billy and Susie are a special little flower, and we have to change to accomodate them.

And now, rickets are starting to show back up in kids. Welcome to the year 1900.

I'm not singling out anyone here but some of these allergies are getting ridiculous.

Eh, people just died back in the day. They were labeled "weak men", "sickly children", sluts" and so forth. That, plus food is tougher today.

DSpivack
07-24-2008, 08:32 PM
To touch upon some of the posts. Are we getting weaker, YES!!!! But the subject of the peanut allergies in children, they range from mild symptoms from eating peanuts to full blown airway closure with exposure to just the dust. My thing is why punnish the vast majority for something that is in a small number of children. It is wrong for a ballpark to ban all peanut products. If your kid is allergic to peanuts, it sucks but life is unfair and these are the cards you get dealt. A peanut free area may be a nice compromise.

On the theory of why the rise in peanut allergies and allergies in general. The largest theory and most supported is the theory of "overcleanliness." Because of the rise in antibacterial soaps, disinfectants, antibiotic use, kids being sheltered in general, the body's immune system is never exposed to the antigens (fancy name for germs) it needs to be exposed to to recognize when to fight an infection. Without this exposure, the body will begin developing an autoimmune reaction where it attacks itself.

The theory of genetic engineering being involved is completely unfounded. Genetically engineered foods are completely safe and there is no evidence to the contrary. We have been eating genetically engineered fruits and vegetables for about a decade now without even people knowing it.

The peanut allergy discussion is pretty interesting and has even puzzled scientists.

Dr. TomC727

Similar to kids being sheltered, a lot of them don't play outside much anymore, either. They're more likely to be indoors with friends playing video games or on the internet; not as likely to be as exposed to germs, as you mention.

Marqhead
07-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Dr. TomC727

This is why I stopped using soaps, and showering in general many years ago!

But this precisely what is going on in our generation.

pearso66
07-24-2008, 11:07 PM
It wasn't very long ago that I think a guy died from kissing his g/f after she ate a PB and J sandwich about 2 hours prior.

I don't get it, I'm not allergic to anything, and I don't know many who are, besides like bees, but even that's minor.

scarsofthumper
07-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Let's hope tehy don't go to Flyers games.

Not only do they sell a LOT of peanuts, but when one of the players gets a hit, they throw mini bags of peanuts from the press box. That players name? Peanut Williams.

hi im skot
07-25-2008, 01:32 AM
That, plus food is tougher today.

But how much of it is Chicago Tough?

BlackHat91
07-25-2008, 01:43 AM
This stuff is really strange. Deathly allergies to peanuts were unheard of when I was in elementary school in the late 80's/early 90's. PB&J was a lunchtime staple. It's only really gained steam in the last 10 years.

Now you have schools where PB is BANNED. Kids even catch a few molecules of peanut residue and it's game over.

I've heard that the allergy may actually be due to AFLATOXIN, which is a fungus that grows on peanuts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin
"among the most carcinogenic substances known"

From what I've read, most PB is actually seriously unhealthy, due to the fact that 1) The peanuts they use are rancid 2) Said rancid peanuts contain large doses of harmful aflatoxin 3) Most PB has added hydrogenated oil and sugar.

Even at that, we ate that stuff by the gallon as kids and turned out OK! Strange world we live in.

TomC727
07-25-2008, 03:08 AM
This stuff is really strange. Deathly allergies to peanuts were unheard of when I was in elementary school in the late 80's/early 90's. PB&J was a lunchtime staple. It's only really gained steam in the last 10 years.

Now you have schools where PB is BANNED. Kids even catch a few molecules of peanut residue and it's game over.

I've heard that the allergy may actually be due to AFLATOXIN, which is a fungus that grows on peanuts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin
"among the most carcinogenic substances known"

From what I've read, most PB is actually seriously unhealthy, due to the fact that 1) The peanuts they use are rancid 2) Said rancid peanuts contain large doses of harmful aflatoxin 3) Most PB has added hydrogenated oil and sugar.

Even at that, we ate that stuff by the gallon as kids and turned out OK! Strange world we live in.

Be careful of what source you use. Wikipedia is full of errors and a poor source in general. Good sources are emedicine and webmd.

Aflatoxin hasn't been thought of as the main cause of the allergy problem. It is yet unknown but the most common and most widely supported theory is from overcleanliness.

Dr. TomC727

drewcifer
07-25-2008, 03:23 AM
This peanut stuff is getting ridiculous. I never eat them...ever. But I fully expect busty women to throw them to me when I fly and you cry babies are ****ing it up. Just be quiet!

Fine - don't eat a peanut, okay? And don't fly! You're the ****ed up people...don't expect everyone else to drive when you're the one with problem. Read these articles.. These freaks get allergies from peanuts being in the same airspace!?!?!?!?! What???

Mind your allergies. Drive instead. Leave the rest of us alone; even me who doesn't even like peanuts.

I hate you peanut whiners.

Iwritecode
07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
This peanut stuff is getting ridiculous. I never eat them...ever. But I fully expect busty women to throw them to me when I fly and you cry babies are ****ing it up. Just be quiet!

Fine - don't eat a peanut, okay? And don't fly! You're the ****ed up people...don't expect everyone else to drive when you're the one with problem. Read these articles.. These freaks get allergies from peanuts being in the same airspace!?!?!?!?! What???

Mind your allergies. Drive instead. Leave the rest of us alone; even me who doesn't even like peanuts.

Wow. :o:

doublem23
07-25-2008, 10:39 AM

I'm sure none of them are too fond of you, either.

Pequod
07-25-2008, 10:50 AM

A double wow here. :o::o:

Y'know...it sucks, but both my daughters are allergic to peanuts. One of my daughters is also allergic to egg whites. My son is allergic to tree nuts. Yup...its a lot of fun going out to eat all right. Bottom line for us is this -- we're not whining, but if someone wants to give us a break we'll take it. The peanut free table at school...we didn't ask for it, but is it really killing anyone else that it's there? We're not asking the world to change for our kids and are quite used to working around their allergies. I'll stop there before I start insulting people I don't know...

voodoochile
07-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Be careful of what source you use. Wikipedia is full of errors and a poor source in general. Good sources are emedicine and webmd.

Aflatoxin hasn't been thought of as the main cause of the allergy problem. It is yet unknown but the most common and most widely supported theory is from overcleanliness.

Dr. TomC727

Thanks for the input, Doc. The overuse of anti-bacterial in common household soaps is a medical crisis as far as I am concerned. There are a few specific groups that benefits from those low bacteria environments - very old people and people with weakened immune systems. But, Kids shouldn't be protected from the natural world or it will kill them when they cannot fight off the most basic of diseases.

Just curious as to your feelings about some other thoughts I had on the peanut butter topic:

Might it be that peanut butter was always considered safe kids food and that many kids were exposed and subsequently died very young from their allergy and that was then diagnosed as SIDS? I know SIDS was over diagnosed from the time it was first discovered and became the "it's a mystery" answer to any death that couldn't be explained. This would lead to less awareness of the problem and a smaller number of them reaching maturity.

Also, I don't know the stats but for a long time breast feeding fell out of favor (it's making a comeback, but I don't know if it's at it's historical peak). Breast feeding is how mothers pass along immunities and anti-allergy help to their offspring. Might we have a break in the chain where kids who weren't breast fed now cannot pass along these natural immunities and children of those children are more likely to be susceptible to once less common allergies?

twentywontowin
07-25-2008, 11:35 AM
A double wow here. :o::o:

Y'know...it sucks, but both my daughters are allergic to peanuts. One of my daughters is also allergic to egg whites. My son is allergic to tree nuts. Yup...its a lot of fun going out to eat all right. Bottom line for us is this -- we're not whining, but if someone wants to give us a break we'll take it. The peanut free table at school...we didn't ask for it, but is it really killing anyone else that it's there? We're not asking the world to change for our kids and are quite used to working around their allergies. I'll stop there before I start insulting people I don't know...

But where do you draw the line?

First it's peanut free tables. Then it's egg free tables. Followed by gym classes that stay indoors because there's a kid allergic to grass...no more zoo field trips because someone is allergic to animal dander.

I am sympathetic toward the fact that some people do have very severe allergies, but we as society shouldn't have let it get this far in relation to medicine and how we have to accomodate some ridiculous allergies.

voodoochile
07-25-2008, 11:46 AM

First it's peanut free tables. Then it's egg free tables. Followed by gym classes that stay indoors because there's a kid allergic to grass...no more zoo field trips because someone is allergic to animal dander.

I am sympathetic toward the fact that some people do have very severe allergies, but we as society shouldn't have let it get this far in relation to medicine and how we have to accomodate some ridiculous allergies.

Interesting slippery slope argument, of course none of it has happened, but it might, so lets not allow any breaks to people with potentially fatal allergies.

Certain allergies are worse than others. Dander and pollen allergies are rarely fatal and if they are, then the parent can simply hold their child out of those activities. Any kid with a fatal grass pollen allergy is screwed already and probably home schooled because they wouldn't be able to get to school or even go out doors. In fact it would be unlikely they would live to an age where school would be an issue because most parents wouldn't realize what was wrong until the kid was dead in their stroller. Peanut allergies are often fatal or can be even with exposure to minuscule amounts.

So what if we have a peanut free table and an egg free table and even a gluten free table in the lunch room. How does that negatively impact YOUR life at all?

"We can't eat our hard boiled eggs at table 19! WAHHHHHHHH!"

Go eat them at one of the 40 other tables. :rolleyes:

Pequod
07-25-2008, 11:47 AM

Again, we're not asking for, nor do we expect any assistance like that at all. If its there, great. If not, we keep doing what we do now...we avoid situations where this could be a problem. Are we whining? Nope. We certainly aren't asking for any sort of federal mandate for allergen free tables, or stadiums, or airplanes. There have been some reasonable (in my opinion) measures with regard to declaring common allergens on food labels. But that's about it. At the same time, if a *private* organization caters to us by way of the occasional peanut free section at a ballpark, what's it to you? Does the fact that there are private companies like Vermont Nut Free that cater to people like us really bother you that much? Why?

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Also, I don't know the stats but for a long time breast feeding fell out of favor (it's making a comeback, but I don't know if it's at it's historical peak). Breast feeding is how mothers pass along immunities and anti-allergy help to their offspring. Might we have a break in the chain where kids who weren't breast fed now cannot pass along these natural immunities and children of those children are more likely to be susceptible to once less common allergies?

I was breast fed and look how I turned out (awesome). Both my kids were breast fed as well (not by me, of course) so expect them to be dominating WSI on the regular in 15 years or so.

twentywontowin
07-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Interesting slippery slope argument, of course none of it has happened, but it might, so lets not allow any breaks to people with potentially fatal allergies.

Certain allergies are worse than others. Dander and pollen allergies are rarely fatal and if they are, then the parent can simply hold their child out of those activities. Any kid with a fatal grass pollen allergy is screwed already and probably home schooled because they wouldn't be able to get to school or even go out doors. In fact it would be unlikely they would live to an age where school would be an issue because most parents wouldn't realize what was wrong until the kid was dead in their stroller. Peanut allergies are often fatal or can be even with exposure to minuscule amounts.

So what if we have a peanut free table and an egg free table and even a gluten free table in the lunch room. How does that negatively impact YOUR life at all?

"We can't eat our hard boiled eggs at table 19! WAHHHHHHHH!"

Go eat them at one of the 40 other tables. :rolleyes:

It's indeed a slippery slope, and I pulled the first allergies I could think of as examples, not as absolutes. But you at least saw what I was getting at.

Does it impact my life in a major way? Probably not. But if I want to send my kid to school with a PB&J sandwich, I should have every right to just as much as the kid with the allergy has to avoid it as much as he can. I don't mind if a child will get his own table, what I do mind is being told what my child can/can't have for lunch at school.

skottyj242
07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Why would they still allow Cracker Jack? That has peanuts in it.

twentywontowin
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Again, we're not asking for, nor do we expect any assistance like that at all. If its there, great. If not, we keep doing what we do now...we avoid situations where this could be a problem. Are we whining? Nope. We certainly aren't asking for any sort of federal mandate for allergen free tables, or stadiums, or airplanes. There have been some reasonable (in my opinion) measures with regard to declaring common allergens on food labels. But that's about it. At the same time, if a *private* organization caters to us by way of the occasional peanut free section at a ballpark, what's it to you? Does the fact that there are private companies like Vermont Nut Free that cater to people like us really bother you that much? Why?

There's two specific parts that bother me:

1) All of these medicines and soaps that kill everything. Your body cannot naturally build up immunity without being exposed to bacteria, and this is why we're seeing allergies we never saw a few decades ago.

2) People (administration) who dictate how my family or I should live our lives based on accomodating others. I'm all for having the allergy-stricken people to have their special needs, but when it directly affects my life (ie, what I can or can't bring to work/school), that's when the line needs to be drawn.

voodoochile
07-25-2008, 12:02 PM

1) All of these medicines and soaps that kill everything. Your body cannot naturally build up immunity without being exposed to bacteria, and this is why we're seeing allergies we never saw a few decades ago.

2) People (administration) who dictate how my family or I should live our lives based on accomodating others. I'm all for having the allergy-stricken people to have their special needs, but when it directly affects my life (ie, what I can or can't bring to work/school), that's when the line needs to be drawn.

**** the other guy, I'm getting mine... Nice attitude...

daveeym
07-25-2008, 12:04 PM
In general it's a mold and mildew allergy. Peanuts contain a mold in them that is the cause for most peanut allergies. The more serious peanut allergies are rarer and usually due to a protein in the peanut. I had peanut and other allergies as a kid. If i ate peanuts I'd get a migraine and would be vomiting all night. Granted it wasn't the kill you type reaction but my parents told me not to eat any treats brought in to school or there's the chance I'd get sick. They didn't go bitching and moaning to the school though and ask for special accommodations.

twentywontowin
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM

My child has every right to bring PB&J to school just as much as the kid with a peanut allergy has to have his own safe eating zone.

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM

perhaps twentyonetowin wasn't brest fed

Pequod
07-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Personally, I agree with #1. That does bother me, but too late to do anything about it for my kids, so we live with it. What am I going to do, go sue the makers of Dial? On #2, I just don't see why an organization like the Seattle Mariners creating a peanut free section for a couple of home games is an encroachment on anyone's personal freedoms. Also don't see why a single table in the lunchroom is an encroachment on personal freedoms. Nobody in my kids' schools have been told they can't eat PB&J, and we don't expect them to. On occasion, my kids' teachers have sent out notices to the other parents letting them know that there's are peanut allergic kids (usually more than 1...not just our kids) in the class and it would be nice to avoid sending in peanut laced treats. Know what? Nice gesture but it does nothing for us because most people fail to recognize that there are traces of peanuts in a LOT of ingredients and store-bought foods (e.g. plain M&Ms are contaminated). Bottom line, it is on US to protect our kids. And we do that by teaching our kids to just plain ignore the treats at school. We have a special cabinet at home with goodies so that our kids are allowed to grab something when they get home if they weren't able to partake at school. We have NO expectation of any administration telling you what your kids can eat because 1) you can't be expected to know all the subtleties of dealing with food allergies, but we're forced to, and 2) an awful lot of people would just ignore the mandate anyway. We have no (zero) expectation of the gov't helping us and it would be meaningless if they tried. We're on our own here, but does that mean we can't applaud the Seattle Mariners for doing what they're doing? :?:

voodoochile
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Well, this is getting political...

Hope I don't have to close it...

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, this is getting political...

Hope I don't have to close it...

Let's shift the discussion to the merits of Ween's groundbreaking album "The Mollusk". "The Golden Eel" is my favorite track.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Personally, I agree with #1. That does bother me, but too late to do anything about it for my kids, so we live with it. What am I going to do, go sue the makers of Dial?

The solution to this would be to stop using antibacterial soap.

Pequod
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
The solution to this would be to stop using antibacterial soap.

Ehhh...we don't use anti-bacterial soap. But even if we did, your solution wouldn't suddenly cure my kids' allergies.

Iwritecode
07-25-2008, 01:20 PM
In general it's a mold and mildew allergy. Peanuts contain a mold in them that is the cause for most peanut allergies. The more serious peanut allergies are rarer and usually due to a protein in the peanut. I had peanut and other allergies as a kid. If i ate peanuts I'd get a migraine and would be vomiting all night. Granted it wasn't the kill you type reaction but my parents told me not to eat any treats brought in to school or there's the chance I'd get sick. They didn't go bitching and moaning to the school though and ask for special accommodations.

Our school district no longer allows treats to be brought to school for parties or anything specifically because of all the kids with allergies.

According to my daughter, they have one kid that has to eat lunch in a room by himself because his are so bad.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Ehhh...we don't use anti-bacterial soap. But even if we did, your solution wouldn't suddenly cure my kids' allergies.

For some reason, it sounded like you did. My mistake.

doublem23
07-25-2008, 02:03 PM
My child has every right to bring PB&J to school just as much as the kid with a peanut allergy has to have his own safe eating zone.

:?:

You'll need to refer me to the document that states everyone has a right to life, liberty, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. Did you miss the part about airborne contact being sufficient to set off a reaction in some severe cases? Unless you can prove your kid can't survive a day with PB&J, I don't think you have a leg to stand on, school districts can usually ban substances in the interest of their student's health, so as I said, unless your kid would actually roll over and die without that PB&J, I don't think his/her right to have it supercedes or even equals someone else's kid right to a safe environment at school.

It's Dankerific
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
These kind of allergies really scare me for future offspring. I hope I don't overdo it when I start trying to expose them to dirt and germs.

Since I'm lactose intolerant, it already is on my mind since it seems my fiance has gotten a _little_ intolerant since we avoid so many lactose foods.

If bringing something to school like a peanut can kill a kid, you don't bring the ****ing peanuts to school.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM

You'll need to refer me to the document that states everyone has a right to life, liberty, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. Did you miss the part about airborne contact being sufficient to set off a reaction in some severe cases? Unless you can prove your kid can't survive a day with PB&J, I don't think you have a leg to stand on, school districts can usually ban substances in the interest of their student's health, so as I said, unless your kid would actually roll over and die without that PB&J, I don't think his/her right to have it supercedes or even equals someone else's kid right to a safe environment at school.

Does that mean I can't bring an asbestos sandwich to work for lunch?

voodoochile
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
These kind of allergies really scare me for future offspring. I hope I don't overdo it when I start trying to expose them to dirt and germs.

Since I'm lactose intolerant, it already is on my mind since it seems my fiance has gotten a _little_ intolerant since we avoid so many lactose foods.

If bringing something to school like a peanut can kill a kid, you don't bring the ****ing peanuts to school.

Your fiance maybe having trouble because you need to break down proteins to create the enzymes to digest those proteins in the future. To digest Lactose you need to have Lactase (IIRC) and you can't make Lactase without digesting Lactose. If you stop eating milk related products, you will indeed have problems digesting them when you do so in the future.

This is the reason vegetarians need to go slow when resuming a diet that has meat in it and why you have to be careful when switching your pets food (different manufacturers use different kinds of protein - if your dog eats chicken you can't suddenly switch it to beef unless you enjoy cleaning up puke and poop).

It's Dankerific
07-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Your fiance maybe having trouble because you need to break down proteins to create the enzymes to digest those proteins in the future. To digest Lactose you need to have Lactase (IIRC) and you can't make Lactase without digesting Lactose. If you stop eating milk related products, you will indeed have problems digesting them when you do so in the future.

This is the reason vegetarians need to go slow when resuming a diet that has meat in it and why you have to be careful when switching your pets food (different manufacturers use different kinds of protein - if your dog eats chicken you can't suddenly switch it to beef unless you enjoy cleaning up puke and poop).

Thanks for that info.

twentywontowin
07-25-2008, 03:04 PM

Why do I even bother arguing on here? It gets nowhere.

doublem23
07-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Does that mean I can't bring an asbestos sandwich to work for lunch?

I think you'd be OK as long as you get it sprayed down with a thin, protective coat of pure lead. That seems to keep the bastards under control.

Iwritecode
07-25-2008, 03:15 PM

It's hard to argue for the "right" to do something that could be fatal to somebody else.

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 03:16 PM
I think you'd be OK as long as you get it sprayed down with a thin, protective coat of pure lead. That seems to keep the bastards under control.

Yum! I'll wash it down with mercury! :gulp:

goofymsfan
07-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Yum! I'll wash it down with mercury! :gulp:

Throw in a little formalin and you'll be fixed right up:duck:

DSpivack
07-25-2008, 05:56 PM

:bandance:

gobears1987
07-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Soylent green tastes better though.

South Side Irish
07-25-2008, 06:53 PM

Don't take it too personal, 21. I thought this was all just overprotective silliness when I started teaching. Then, I saw a kid's throat swell up and start suffocating after touching hands with some boys and later blowing his nose. The peanut residue was inhaled and resulted in his airway being blocked.

It's absolutely crazy, but you've just got to realize that these poor kids/people literally have to walk on egg shells about absolutely everything. They're life is horribly tedious and careful because of this allergy. It's amazing one thing can cause so many problems!

Most school districts have peanut free tables, but many have gone to banning peanuts all together for this reason specifically. Crazy things happen. Just got to understand that even though it's a bummer for your kid, it LITERALLY is likely to prevent someone from suffering major afflictions, and potentially death. Insane, but just keep it in perspective.

But feel free to keep getting your extra "free" meat at Chipotle. :tongue:

pearso66
07-25-2008, 08:04 PM
I remember as kids coming in from playing, not even washing my hands, and eating with my fingers. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I'm not allergic to anything. I get yelled at by my g/f all the time to wash my hands before eating, because I don't always do it, but then again, I'm rarely sick.

It's possible that some of you are on to something in thinking it is the over use of anti-bacterial soap that is the cause of the problem, or even the over washing of hands. Heck, maybe kids should be outside eating dirt, rolling in the grass, eating bugs/worms. It probably wouldn't taste very good, but probably wouldn't hurt them in the least.

MUsoxfan
07-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I remember as kids coming in from playing, not even washing my hands, and eating with my fingers. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I'm not allergic to anything. I get yelled at by my g/f all the time to wash my hands before eating, because I don't always do it, but then again, I'm rarely sick.

Same with me. I was always out and about and rarely washed my hands before eating. I'm not allergic to anything and I get sick about once every year and a half or so. Maybe there's something to that. If I ever have kids, I'm gonna make sure they eat with mudhands. :redneck

TomC727
07-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Good discussion by everyone. The rise in allergies definately sucks for everyone involved from kids with the allergies to kids not being able to bring PB and J.

To answer an earlier question about SIDS.

SIDS is still unknown of what causes it but there has been a large drop in SIDS related deaths with the back to bed campaign (having the infant sleep on its back, not side or stomach). Other research has been coming out suggesting a viral cause but it is still unknown.

For allergies killing infants, allergies do not begin in the first couple months of life so this is highly unlikely.

Dr. TomC727

South Side Irish
07-25-2008, 10:52 PM
To answer an earlier question about SIDS.

SIDS is still unknown of what causes it but there has been a large drop in SIDS related deaths with the back to bed campaign (having the infant sleep on its back, not side or stomach). Other research has been coming out suggesting a viral cause but it is still unknown.

I thought I read in the paper 2 weeks ago that there's a link between the melatonin levels in infants and SIDS. I know there's been links between a million things and SIDS, but this one seemed to be the strongest according the the doctors quoted in the article. Of course, Dr. TomC727 wasn't quoted, so it must be meaningless. :redneck

shes
07-25-2008, 11:49 PM

Conventional dairy products and cow's milk especially can really do a number on the human body. I think something like 70-80% of all adults are lactose intolerant. I studied to be a nutritionist once upon a time and one of the more important things I gleaned was that dairy is simply not your friend.

To those of you who believe you or your children have some sort of unalienable right to eating PB&Js, no matter whether or not other children may be horribly affected: you are essentially bullying on a sophomoric level, only much more passive-aggressively and with the possibility of more dangerous consequences. Tsk-tsk and shame on you!

DSpivack
07-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Conventional dairy products and cow's milk especially can really do a number on the human body. I think something like 70-80% of all adults are lactose intolerant. I studied to be a nutritionist once upon a time and one of the more important things I gleaned was that dairy is simply not your friend.

To those of you who believe you or your children have some sort of unalienable right to eating PB&Js, no matter whether or not other children may be horribly affected: you are essentially bullying on a sophomoric level, only much more passive-aggressively and with the possibility of more dangerous consequences. Tsk-tsk and shame on you!

I thought everyone was lactose intolerant, just in differing degrees. I'm usually not, but had a lot of milk and cheese the other day, and had a little stomachache that night.

FarWestChicago
07-26-2008, 06:42 AM
By the end of the school year our child pretty much couldn't eat at school. It seems a couple of kids in her class had developed allergies to fruit (on top of all the existing allergies to pretty much everything else under the Sun). I thought she was making this one up, but it turns out it was true (according to the school). Who the hell ever heard of an allergy to watermelon and cantaloupe? I've seen some of you suggest we were always this allergic and dropped dead by the hundred thousand due to "mysterious illnesses". However, as an old fart who was there, this is not the case. Something has changed that has almost created a generation of "bubble boys". :dunno:

ViPeRx007
07-26-2008, 01:02 PM
What a joke.

It's kind of like global warming.....*cough*

AKA The wussification of society.

I'm not trying to insult people with allergies, I know people who have allergies; I even have some, though not this extreme. What I'm saying is that it seems like people are more sheltered than they used to be. You see parents running around with antibacterial sprays and gels and soaps and whatever making sure their child doesn't come in contact with a single germ. Then they wonder why they end up with sickly kids when they start going to school, etc.

goofymsfan
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
By the end of the school year our child pretty much couldn't eat at school. It seems a couple of kids in her class had developed allergies to fruit (on top of all the existing allergies to pretty much everything else under the Sun). I thought she was making this one up, but it turns out it was true (according to the school). Who the hell ever heard of an allergy to watermelon and cantaloupe? I've seen some of you suggest we were always this allergic and dropped dead by the hundred thousand due to "mysterious illnesses". However, as an old fart who was there, this is not the case. Something has changed that has almost created a generation of "bubble boys". :dunno:

I hadn't heard of allergies to watermelon and cantaloupe before. I do know that latex allergies and allergies to synthetic fibers can lead to cross allergens to bananas and kiwi. At the place I used to work we had someone develop this kind of allergy. It was pretty freaky.

shes
07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
It's kind of like global warming.....*cough*

AKA The wussification of society.

I'm not trying to insult people with allergies, I know people who have allergies; I even have some, though not this extreme. What I'm saying is that it seems like people are more sheltered than they used to be. You see parents running around with antibacterial sprays and gels and soaps and whatever making sure their child doesn't come in contact with a single germ. Then they wonder why they end up with sickly kids when they start going to school, etc.

I'm currently reading a memoir in which the author, who is mildly obsessive-compulsive, talks of carrying bottles of Purell with him to the playground and meticulously wiping down swingsets and things before his 3 year-old plays on them. I'm astounded that these people do this, as they no doubt grew up in a previous generation where there was no Purell and they no doubt grew up eating soil and saying "God made dirt; dirt don't hurt" and living to play another day. What makes them think their children need this kind of protection if they didn't?

It's this + the fact that we as Americans are subsisting on a kind of diet that we never have before (we consume more largely untested chemicals and eat more processed foods than any people in any country at any time ever have) is rapidly beating us down. I have to believe (or hope) that there's a paradigm shift (excuse the lazy phrase) coming sometime soon. People are becoming more aware about these kinds of things, after all.