PDA

View Full Version : post game music at USCF?

Fenway
07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Yesterday I was at The Cell as a fan and had another great afternoon.

I had a White Sox hat on and it was comical after the Sox went ahead that the guy next to me was high fiving me being an older White Sox fan. Truth is I don't want to be lumped in with the M*******s that make up way too much of Red Sox Nation.

Anyhow I was flabbergasted as the song selected after the final out. The Great Pretender is a classic song but it isn't something I would choose after an uplifting win. In fact pretender is the last term you would want about your club.

I am of the camp that Sweet Home Chicago should be played first after a win just like Dirty Water is in Boston. (after a Boston home loss they play organ music)

Anybody else find that selection odd?

BTW now 3-0 as a fan at White Sox games.

chisoxmike
07-24-2008, 04:20 PM

I had a White Sox hat on and it was comical after the Sox went ahead that the guy next to me was high fiving me being an older White Sox fan. Truth is I don't want to be lumped in with the M*******s that make up way too much of Red Sox Nation.

Anyhow I was flabbergasted as the song selected after the final out. The Great Pretender is a classic song but it isn't something I would choose after an uplifting win. In fact pretender is the last term you would want about your club.

I am of the camp that Sweet Home Chicago should be played first aftera win just like Dirty Water is in Boston. (after a Boston home loss they play organ music)

YES!

There was a thread I started a while ago about Sweet Home Chicago not being played right after wins. It's usually Jenks' "Boom" song if he saves the game, some Bon Jovi song, or Go Go White Sox.

Sweet Home Chicago is a staple, it should be played right when the third out of the win is recorded.

I heard it played after a loss one night a month or two ago.

To their credit, the Sox have been playing it after wins, but usually after another song is played.

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2008, 04:23 PM

Can you travel with the White Sox for the next 10?

Fenway
07-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Can you travel with the White Sox for the next 10?

Sadly I must deal with Athens-Sparta this weekend. Fenway going to be ugly after the way the Red Sox were booed at All Star Game.

I emailed Brooks about the song selection. Playing a slow tempo song after an uplifting win made no sense. Hopefully somebody clicked it by accident.

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Anything is better than "GO Cubs GO".:o:

Fenway
07-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Just got an email from Nicole from the White Sox.

They played 50's songs after the game because of a 'Seniors Stroll The Bases' event.

She did add that Go Go White Sox was first but I didn't really hear that with fireworks and cheering fans.

Yesterday reminded me of the way Fenway used to be on a weekday. Lots of kids groups in the stands, a lot of older folks as well.

Kids in the Boston area now have to go to Pawtucket or Lowell in groups. No such animal as a discounted ticket in Boston any more.

I really enjoyed yesterday.

roylestillman
07-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Just got an email from Nicole from the White Sox.

They played 50's songs after the game because of a 'Seniors Stroll The Bases' event.

She did add that Go Go White Sox was first but I didn't really hear that with fireworks and cheering fans.

Yesterday reminded me of the way Fenway used to be on a weekday. Lots of kids groups in the stands, a lot of older folks as well.

Kids in the Boston area now have to go to Pawtucket or Lowell in groups. No such animal as a discounted ticket in Boston any more.

I really enjoyed yesterday.

It looked like a Risk game in the upper deck.

It was Stubby's "Let's Go Go Go White Sox." after the final out yesterday. I have noticed that Sweet Home Chicago has made a comeback on weekday nights, but its usually the second or thirg song played.

oeo
07-24-2008, 10:05 PM

That shouldn't be in teal. That song blows.

skobabe8
07-24-2008, 11:20 PM

I am of the camp that Sweet Home Chicago should be played first after a win just like Dirty Water is in Boston. (after a Boston home loss they play organ music)

I COMPLETELY agree with you. Here is an email I got from Brooks 2 weeks ago when I asked 'What happened to Sweet Home Chicago after wins?':

It is in the mix. Sometimes we play Sweet Home Chicago, sometimes Bobby’s closer song and sometimes the Go-Go White Sox song. Sometimes a couple of them.

Glad to hear all is well with you guys.

Brooks

Fenway
07-24-2008, 11:44 PM
I COMPLETELY agree with you. Here is an email I got from Brooks 2 weeks ago when I asked 'What happened to Sweet Home Chicago after wins?':

It is in the mix. Sometimes we play Sweet Home Chicago, sometimes Bobby’s closer song and sometimes the Go-Go White Sox song. Sometimes a couple of them.

Glad to hear all is well with you guys.

Brooks

One think I respect about the White Sox is when you ask Brooks a question you get a speedy reply. Within an hour I got a response from the director of game operations.

In Boston after a home win they play 3 songs - Dirty Water, Tessie and Joy To The World always in that order- a loss you get the organ.

Yankees play New York New York by Sinatra after a win or Liza Minelli after a loss.

I don't have a problem with Go Go White Sox as it has tradition similar to Here Come The Hawks. Play it first and follow it with Jake and Elwood and throw in one of Sinatra's Chicago songs as well but keep it the same rotation.

The Yankees have the strangest mix in baseball in the middle of the 7th. They start with Kate Smith doing God Bless America, then the organist plays TMOTTBG. Then believe it or not they follow that with Cottoneye Joe.

BRDSR
07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
The Yankees have the strangest mix in baseball in the middle of the 7th. They start with Kate Smith doing God Bless America, then the organist plays TMOTTBG. Then believe it or not they follow that with Cottoneye Joe.

That is bizarre.

I want Mags back
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM
It looked like a Risk game in the upper deck.

It was Stubby's "Let's Go Go Go White Sox." after the final out yesterday. I have noticed that Sweet Home Chicago has made a comeback on weekday nights, but its usually the second or thirg song played.

:rolling:

I remember my good old days of going to games with day camp

Fenway
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
:rolling:

I remember my good old days of going to games with day camp

I recall fondly those weekday summer games at Fenway where the right field seats were packed with youth groups and they would chant 'we wanna hit'.

In those days Yawkey didn't allow advance ticket buying in the bleachers and right field was general admission.

Even the Yankees have many $5 days at the Stadium to get young groups to a game.

There were 35000 at USCF on Wednesday which is great. Years ago they would announce attendance as 35000 of which 21000 were paid but they don't do that anymore. It used to be the visiting team got a percentage of the paid tickets but I believe they have changed that now.

07-25-2008, 10:59 AM

Can't wait for the ALDS!

Hitmen77
07-25-2008, 11:55 AM
YES!

There was a thread I started a while ago about Sweet Home Chicago not being played right after wins. It's usually Jenks' "Boom" song if he saves the game, some Bon Jovi song, or Go Go White Sox.

Sweet Home Chicago is a staple, it should be played right when the third out of the win is recorded.

I heard it played after a loss one night a month or two ago.

To their credit, the Sox have been playing it after wins, but usually after another song is played.

I agree 100%. This is a great "Chicago" song to play after a win. I remember fans used to sing along to the refrain after a victory and that was pretty cool. But, I haven't heard it played at a game I attended in a long time (probably last time was in '06).

The problem with playing the Bon Jovi song is that it's generic as far as ballpark experiences. It has nothing to do with Chicago and I don't know anyone who identifies it with the Sox. I certainly don't remember the crowd "singing along" to it.

I don't know why they went away from it. Probably the same reason why they haven't looked for a part time organist to play night games....their thinking that these things are "old fashioned" and doesn't appeal to the younger crowd. The problem is that people like traditions at ballgames and without them, the atmosphere feels more generic. I don't remember the Cubs worrying about whether organ music is cool enough for the throngs of 20-somethings they draw. You don't see them cutting back on Go Cubs Go after wins because demographically younger people like Bon Jovi better than some sappy folk song.

skobabe8
07-25-2008, 04:45 PM
'Market research' SUCKS.

RockRiversoxfan
07-27-2008, 07:07 PM

go cubs go sounds like something barney would sing