PDA

View Full Version : Lets go after Roy Halladay

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 11:35 AM
He wants to be traded and if some how we can pull it off.. We will be back in the World Series

what would it take to get him

The Milkman
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Dankkkks or Gavin would have to be included....we have no chance.

oeo
07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Dankkkks or Gavin would have to be included....we have no chance.

If we have to trade Floyd, so be it.

Still don't see it happening. I'd think it would have to be Danks, and that's a no-no.

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
than I would trade Gavin, Fields to get Halladay..

It's a long shot but I would love to get him on the south side..

Bucky F. Dent
07-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I would be unwilling to trade either Danks or Floyd, but I've been known to overvalue our players.

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I would be unwilling to trade either Danks or Floyd, but I've been known to overvalue our players.

You wouldn't trade Floyd for 2.5 seasons of having Halladay as the #1 pitcher on our staff...

UofCSoxFan
07-24-2008, 11:45 AM

How long is Halladay signed for? I think Floyd or Denks could both be pretty damn good, but Halladay is already elite. If either Floyd or Denks got to his level I'd be ecstatic. I would trade either in a heartbeat for him (preferably Floyd) as long as it wasn't a one year rental.

Bucky F. Dent
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
How old is Halladay?

Edit: Never Mind.

skottyj242
07-24-2008, 11:47 AM
How long is Halladay signed for? I think Floyd or Denks could both be pretty damn good, but Halladay is already elite. If either Floyd or Denks got to his level I'd be ecstatic. I would trade either in a heartbeat for him (preferably Floyd) as long as it wasn't a one year rental.

Signed throught 2010. If it's possible and all it costs us is Floyd and Fields, I say see ya, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Bucky F. Dent
07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, at 31 years old, I guess I do this deal.

btrain929
07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Signed throught 2010. If it's possible and all it costs us is Floyd and Fields, I say see ya, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It'd prob have to be more than that. I'm sure they'd want Poreda too.

oeo
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
It'd prob have to be more than that. I'm sure they'd want Poreda too.

Poreda is their's. Anyone else?

Jon Link? Chris Getz?

The Milkman
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM

I had no idea he was signed that long. It would have to take more than Gavin and Fields i think.

CHIsoxNation
07-24-2008, 11:52 AM
From what I've read/heard, the Jays aren't interested in trading him to anyone in the AL. The two teams I've heard mentioned the most are the Dodgers and Cardinals.

Having said that, I'd love to see him on the south side too...just don't see it happening.

kidmccarthy
07-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I would be fine with Danks, Fields, Poreda, or Floyd, Fields, Poreda, and Shelby. Probably happier keeping danks, but I dont think that is enough. Danks is really our only elite chip.

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I give the Jays 4 of our top prospects to get Halladay over to the Sox... We would match up with any rotation going into thte post season

Noneck
07-24-2008, 11:55 AM
To finally get a true #1, pick anyone from our staff and anyone from minors.

Jimmy Piersall
07-24-2008, 11:56 AM

Ron Schueler,is that you ?:wink:

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 11:59 AM
If the Jays wanted Quentin would any of you still make the deal

doublem23
No chance. We'd have to blow the Blue Jays away with an offer, and we simply don't have the pieces.

It's a nice thought, though. If you put Roy Halladay on this pitching staff, we just won the World Series.

doublem23

No.

skottyj242
07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh and Halladay is only making $10mil a year to boot.

Bucky F. Dent
07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Ron Schueler,is that you ?:wink:

LOL!

Hey, I know my weaknesses.

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 12:02 PM
No.

I wouldn't either but its a debate about who would u rather one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball or a young hitting stud

kidmccarthy
07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
This is the type of deal that puts you in the world series. I just cant see us having enough. What about Danks, Floyd, Fields and Poreda? Is that enough? I doubt it. What would our rotation be? Halladay, Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Richard. I like the first three, but wow I dont know if we would even get in the playoffs. Oh for some good young players...sigh.

The Immigrant
07-24-2008, 12:05 PM

:rolleyes:

doublem23
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't either but its a debate about who would u rather one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball or a young hitting stud

If I was KW, the only 3 young guys on the roster that are untouchable are Quentin, Danks, and Alexei with Floyd being a near-untouchable (I only give him up if I can get a legit front-line starter like Roy Halladay).

Quentin, Ramirez, and Danks are the core that we're going to build around. I want to win the World Series this year, but I no longer feel it must happen at all costs, you still need to balance success in 2008 with the future.

digdagdug23
07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
No chance. We'd have to blow the Blue Jays away with an offer, and we simply don't have the pieces.

It's a nice thought, though. If you put Roy Halladay on this pitching staff, we just won the World Series.

And if the bear didn't stop to take a dump in the woods, he surely would have caught the rabbit. :D:

We have no basis in theory in which to judge the latter comment. If you give up pitching to get pitching and are left with the likes of an aging and injured Contreras, a questionable Vazquez on occassion, what do you have left?

doublem23
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
We have no basis in theory in which to judge the latter comment. If you give up pitching to get pitching and are left with the likes of an aging and injured Contreras, a questionable Vazquez on occassion, what do you have left?

It depends on who you give up. Like I said, I wouldn't give up Danks under any circumstance, so in my perfect world, that would be Halladay, Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Contreras/Richard/Whomever.... Of course, I don't believe the Sox have enough to offer for Halladay, even if they traded Danks, let alone protecting him.

Zisk77
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
This is the type of deal that puts you in the world series. I just cant see us having enough. What about Danks, Floyd, Fields and Poreda? Is that enough? I doubt it. What would our rotation be? Halladay, Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Richard. I like the first three, but wow I dont know if we would even get in the playoffs. Oh for some good young players...sigh.

I respectfully disagree, no trade puts you in the world series in the AL. i don't care who you get in trade. If we Got Halladay for nothing but minor leaguers and our rotation was Halladay, Beurhle, Vasquez, Danks, & Floyd we still wouldn't be assured one playoff series win. If you haven't looked, Anaheim, Boston, and Tampa Bay have at least 3 excellent starters and thats all u need come post season. Heck they all have 4 anyway. On paper they may not be as strong but considerening tampa and ana heim can manufacture runs with speed, you are deluding yourself to think any team has a free pass to the ws in the AL. Its going to be fun watching the al playoffs because all 4 teams will be loaded.

seventyseven
07-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh and Halladay is only making $10mil a year to boot.

His salary increases to $12M in 2009 and $14.5M in 2010. Still worth it, but just saying.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I really don't think we have what it takes to get Doc Halladay.

asindc
07-24-2008, 12:39 PM
As long as we didn't give up TCQ, Alexei, or Danks, I'd do it. A rotation of Halladay, Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, and Whoever would get us to the playoffs. Halladay, Buehrle, and Vazquez/Danks in the playoffs would make us a tough out.

Halladay is one of the elite pitchers in the game, plus the ultimate innings eater. He has more complete games than most teams in the AL. Toronto wont do it, though, so it's only something nice to think about.

turners56
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
He wants to be traded and if some how we can pull it off.. We will be back in the World Series

what would it take to get him

We would have to trade our entire pitching staff. No thank you.

Domeshot17
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Isn't this thread moot as Toronto has said they won't deal him just a few weeks ago?

That said, I would guess Richard-Broadway-Poreda-Fields-Richar would be about the price.

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Fields, Getz, Floyd and Owens.

kittle42
07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Fields, Getz, Floyd and Owens.

That won't do it, and no one wants Jerry Owens.

pmck003
07-24-2008, 01:02 PM
And if the bear didn't stop to take a dump in the woods, he surely would have caught the rabbit. :D:

Exactly why you can't trade Danks. It would be an upgrade if you are looking for the "sure-thing" down the stretch and even into next year, but doesn't make the Sox better than what they've been playing.

How about Charlotte for Halladay?

Chez
07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
If the Sox offered BOTH Floyd and Danks for Halladay, I don't think Toronto would take the deal.

skottyj242
07-24-2008, 01:22 PM
His salary increases to $12M in 2009 and $14.5M in 2010. Still worth it, but just saying.

You're right, I thought it was a four year $40mil contract it was a three year $40mil.

palehozenychicty
07-24-2008, 02:05 PM
We can give them Alex Fernandez circa 1993, Charlotte, and Birmingham. It still wouldn't be enough.

gobears1987
07-24-2008, 02:18 PM
If Kenny wants to go trade one of our young stud pitchers, fine. I was against trading fingernails, but that worked out. Kenny will only trade one of our studs if he knows something we don't. Should he pull the trigger, then I'd feel confident that an issue has arisen with the pitcher in quesiton. Kenny is the king of selling when a player's value is high.

jabrch
07-24-2008, 02:27 PM
What about Danks, Floyd, Fields and Poreda?

I wouldn't pay that price.

whitesox901
07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
we got Mark, Gavin and Jon, adding Roy would be nice, but its not worth the price Toronto would want.

kidmccarthy
07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't pay that price.

Neither would I, but I bet its about that much they would want.

doublem23
07-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I Believe in Kenny Williams.

Gammons Peter
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I was against trading fingernails...

Always cracks me up. Newer members probably wonder what the hell that means

doublem23
07-24-2008, 03:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Jayson Stark says the Jays aren't dealing Halladay, FWIW.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 03:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Jayson Stark says the Jays aren't dealing Halladay, FWIW.

Would they reconsider if we included Paulie in the deal? :tongue:

Jimmy Piersall
07-24-2008, 04:06 PM

Imagine this Frater...Toronto tells Kenny that they would take Floyd
Broadway,and Paulie for Halladay.After soiling himself,Kenny goes to
Konerko with the offer but Paulie sez "hell no i won't go" and then
continues to hit like Mario Mendoza.How would you handle this ?

thomas35forever
07-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Doubt it, but if the deal happened and BA was involved, this place might just explode with mixed emotions.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Doubt it, but if the deal happened and BA was involved, this place might just explode with mixed emotions.

How about BA, Paulie and Logan for Halladay and Vernon Wells. :redneck

Optipessimism
07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
How about BA, Paulie and Logan for Halladay and Vernon Wells. :redneck
No way the Jays make that deal without getting back Mike MacDougal and Charlie Haeger. Throw in Oney Guillen also and we've got it for sure.

Vernam
07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
If the Jays wanted Quentin would any of you still make the dealNo ****in' way. But I'd do Floyd and Fields or Danks and a few nobodies.

Vernam

rdivaldi
07-24-2008, 10:05 PM
I just cant see us having enough. What about Danks, Floyd, Fields and Poreda? Is that enough? I doubt it.

You gotta be kidding. While some people overvalue our players, that is insane undervaluing.

pearso66
07-24-2008, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't trade Floyd or Danks for him. The problem with that is it doesn't really get you any more wins. Danks and Floyd have been pitching very well all year, and it's not like you are replacing a 5th starter or even a 4th starter for Halladay. You would be trading our 2 or 3 for a 1. While it sounds good, I don't like doing that on a team looking to win it all.

As for BA, I am a big BA fan, but if he was the best player off of our 25 man roster to go, I'd pack his bags for him.

pearso66
07-24-2008, 10:47 PM
If the Sox offered BOTH Floyd and Danks for Halladay, I don't think Toronto would take the deal.

I think they would. In my eyes they'd be stupid not to. 2 young pitchers who are signed cheap and pitching very well, one of which is a lefty. Yes Halladay is an ace who could win 20 games, but those 2 each could win 15-18 in a season.

thedudeabides
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't trade Floyd or Danks for him. The problem with that is it doesn't really get you any more wins. Danks and Floyd have been pitching very well all year, and it's not like you are replacing a 5th starter or even a 4th starter for Halladay. You would be trading our 2 or 3 for a 1. While it sounds good, I don't like doing that on a team looking to win it all.

As for BA, I am a big BA fan, but if he was the best player off of our 25 man roster to go, I'd pack his bags for him.

He's a top 5 pitcher in baseball, so I disagree. He's a lights out, innings eating, stopper. He will also put you in a position to win more games in the playoffs.

Anyways, I don't believe for a minute he's available. And if he is, he's signed through 2010 at a reasonable price. He would bring back more in return than CC or Santana did. I can't even begin to imagine what he would cost in talent.

pearso66
07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
He's a top 5 pitcher in baseball, so I disagree. He's a lights out, innings eating, stopper. He will also put you in a position to win more games in the playoffs.

Anyways, I don't believe for a minute he's available. And if he is, he's signed through 2010 at a reasonable price. He would bring back more in return than CC or Santana did. I can't even begin to imagine what he would cost in talent.

He's not going to get the wins that Danks doesn't get because of run support, but he would be an immediate ace. I definitely wouldn't trade Danks, but Floyd I would reluctantly do. The problem trading out of the top/middle of your rotation while in a pennant race. I still wouldn't be comfortable with Jose in the rotation which he would be. I still don't think that he'd get you more than 1-3 wins more than what Floyd could get, but he will give the bullpen a rest.

Optipessimism
07-24-2008, 11:09 PM
I think they would. In my eyes they'd be stupid not to. 2 young pitchers who are signed cheap and pitching very well, one of which is a lefty. Yes Halladay is an ace who could win 20 games, but those 2 each could win 15-18 in a season.
Maybe they would, but I can't see the Sox giving up that much for anyone considering Danks looks very, very good.

Maybe if the Sox could get LaRoche for OC then they could offer up Floyd + LaRoche + Fields + Getz + Poreda + Broadway/Richard/Egbert for Halladay. Or there have been rumors about the Dodgers shopping Matt Kemp around, maybe they'd be willing to deal Kemp for OC + Fields if they don't think LaRoche is going to be good? Then the Sox could offer Floyd + Kemp + Poreda + Getz which should be a pretty good package.

It's all pretty unlikely though because if the Jays decide to move Halladay and the Angels, Dodgers, and Brewers all put forth their best efforts, the only way the Sox could compete would be by offering Fields and either Quentin or 2 of Danks/Floyd/Ramirez, and I don't think Kenny would even think about doing that. The Brewers, Dodgers, and Angels could both offer young Major League players if they wanted to (Weeks, Hardy, Kemp, Ethier, Kendrick, Santana or Weaver, etc).

If something gets done with Halladay it'll probably be over the offseason. Considering the Brewers-Jays trade history and rumors that Halladay wants out and the Brewers will deal Fielder, what about Halladay for Prince straight up over the offseason? Prince goes to the place his father started out while the BrewCrew get an ace after Sheets and Sabathia leave, assuming they do.

thedudeabides
07-24-2008, 11:16 PM
He's not going to get the wins that Danks doesn't get because of run support, but he would be an immediate ace. I definitely wouldn't trade Danks, but Floyd I would reluctantly do. The problem trading out of the top/middle of your rotation while in a pennant race. I still wouldn't be comfortable with Jose in the rotation which he would be. I still don't think that he'd get you more than 1-3 wins more than what Floyd could get, but he will give the bullpen a rest.

You keep forgetting, he's your number one in the playoffs and he's signed cheap until 2010.

It doesn't matter, I still don't think he is available. Some are saying the Jays want to talk to him about an extension.

tacosalbarojas
07-25-2008, 12:47 AM
No way the Jays make that deal without getting back Mike MacDougal and Charlie Haeger. Throw in Oney Guillen also and we've got it for sure.
Mike Sirotka gets this deal done.

soxfandy
07-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Everybody has to remember that Toronto will base any deal on the CC and Rich Harden deal. So it is possible. We have a few good pitchers down in the minorss with some value and we have Fields. Fields is key because he is a prospect that has already shown what he can do in the majors. I mean the Cubs traded Murton and Patterson who didn't show much in the majors, a crappy minor league catcher, and Gallagher. They didnt even trade their best minor league talent. For CC the Brewers traded their best position prospect and a few others with an "UP" side. A deal for Halladay is very possible without trading Floyd or Danks.

Toronto doesn't exactly need pitching that is ready to start for them right away. They still have marcum, burnett, mcgowen, litch, and chacin (out for the year). I'm sure they are looking to build the farm for about 3 0r 4 years from now

drewcifer
07-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Only read the title but, ....How??? Toronoto said like 2 weeks ago they won't trade him.

And if they do, they don't want anything we have.

Lillian
07-26-2008, 03:44 AM
You keep forgetting, he's your number one in the playoffs and he's signed cheap until 2010.

It doesn't matter, I still don't think he is available. Some are saying the Jays want to talk to him about an extension.

According to Cot's Baseball Contracts, he is not signed cheap:

08:$10M, 09:$14.25M, 10:$15.75M

Here is the link:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/toronto-blue-jays_05.html