PDA

View Full Version : Good Sox article by Downey

PeteWard
07-24-2008, 02:51 AM
I think it subtly jabs the Windsock. :bandance:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-24-downey-white-sox-chicagojul24,0,852362.column

october23sp
07-24-2008, 02:58 AM
good stuff

34rancher
07-24-2008, 04:09 AM
That might be the most positive article of the last decade. Darn it even came from the Trib...Props to Downey.

BRDSR
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
I missed the game last night. Could anyone recap the Ozzie tirade that go thim kicked out? Sounds like he was out there jawing for awhile.

TornLabrum
07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Downey has the ability to be a much better writer than he usually demonstrates. Today was a good example. Great column!

SquirrelNutz
07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice to read something that captures the essence of what this year's team is really about.

Mully and Hanley kept things in perspective this morning as well when joking about Ozzie's latest on-field tirade.

There are SOME people in the media that seem to get it.

Nice article by Downey.

asindc
07-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Nice to read something that captures the essence of what this year's team is really about.

Mully and Hanley kept things in perspective this morning as well when joking about Ozzie's latest on-field tirade.

There are SOME people in the media that seem to get it.

Nice article by Downey.

It's odd to me that so many true baseball fans thinks Ozzie is crazy and doesn't know what he's doing. After the "infamous" calling out KW and Walker tirade, I was at a Nats game where people were asking when was Ozzie going to get fired. "Fired?! Hell, he does this all the time!"

Downey is a good writer and generally has a better feel for the subjects he writes about than you-know-who. Not saying much, I know, but there it is.

BringBackBlkJack
07-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I think it subtly jabs the Windsock. :bandance:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-24-downey-white-sox-chicagojul24,0,852362.column

Great read, thanks for sharing.

mccoydp
07-24-2008, 10:16 AM
A good read to start the day. Thanks for posting.

RockyMtnSoxFan
07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
One of the best Sox articles I've read in a while. That Quentin quote is awesome.

SoxGirl4Life
07-24-2008, 11:03 AM
It's odd to me that so many true baseball fans thinks Ozzie is crazy and doesn't know what he's doing. After the "infamous" calling out KW and Walker tirade, I was at a Nats game where people were asking when was Ozzie going to get fired. "Fired?! Hell, he does this all the time!"

Downey is a good writer and generally has a better feel for the subjects he writes about than you-know-who. Not saying much, I know, but there it is.

That crap comes from the moron. It is his personal crusade to get Ozzie fired. Maybe even Kenny and Jerry too if Jerry could fire himself.

kevingrt
07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Downey has been pretty high on the Sox all year. Solid column though, a joy to read.

mark2olson
07-24-2008, 11:45 AM
I think it subtly jabs the Windsock.

This was a well-written article. Downey's opening statement, "every day, some idiot tries to tell you what is wrong with the White Sox" jabs very subtly at some Chicago sports writers, including the "illustrious" member of the press to whom you refer. The beginning sentence in the second paragraph, "Ozzie this, Kenny that. It's all Reinsdorf's fault!" pierces some these writers with a rapier.

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed reading the column.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-24-2008, 11:52 AM
The second paragraph sounds like it came right off WSI.:tongue:

He also wrote a column awhile back asking why the Cubs were getting all the attention and the Sox hardly any. I think he does seem a little more objective then most of the local media. The line about twisting Swish's remark about the HR sure seems like a swipe at the Moron.

Quentin's comments were great.

PatK
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I missed the game last night. Could anyone recap the Ozzie tirade that go thim kicked out? Sounds like he was out there jawing for awhile.

The ump called a strike on Swisher that was nowhere near the plate. It was the second time he did it to Swisher, and he wasn't calling it both ways.

Ozzie actually seemed pretty calm until he got tossed.

Before that though, it looked like he was telling the ump to quit interrupting him and to let him finish his point.

hawkjt
07-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Clearly, this ump was bad all day. He rung up Swish in the first with a horrible call, then repeated that call in this at-bat in the 7th and Swish stepped out and had mild words with the ump(otherwise he would have been thumbed immediately by this jerk Drake), then the ump takes off his mask and steps into Swish's face...that sent Ozzie quickly off the bench and into the fray protecting his player. Drake told him to get his ass back into the dugout and Ozzie went off and as Carlos(on deck) said..''got his money's worth''.

I find Downey to be a lazy columnist but maybe that is an oxymoron.
But finally he wrote what needed to be written...Sox are flawed but there are positives to being a first place team for most of the season.

whitesox901
07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
very nice read

voodoochile
07-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Gotta love TCQ.

Nice read.

gobears1987
07-24-2008, 02:40 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-24-downey-white-sox-chicagojul24,1,7542683.column

This is a really good article. The first paragraph really made me think of a lot of the posters who inhabit our embarrassing game threads.

TornLabrum
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
So good there is already a thread about it.

gobears1987
07-24-2008, 02:44 PM
So good there is already a thread about it.
whoops, first time I've done that in a while.

gobears1987
07-24-2008, 02:46 PM
That crap comes from the moron. It is his personal crusade to get Ozzie fired. Maybe even Kenny and Jerry too if Jerry could fire himself.
Jerry will never allow Kenny to fire Ozzie, if for no other reason than to keep the moron's blood pressure high.