PDA

View Full Version : Catcher Position

kevingrt
05-09-2002, 08:18 PM
Okay, we have 3 legit starting catchers in our system: Alomar, Johnson, and Paul. I think we package up Johnson in a deal for a #3 or #4 starter. What do you guys think???

OfficerKarkovice
05-09-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Okay, we have 3 legit starting catchers in our system: Alomar, Johnson, and Paul. I think we package up Johnson in a deal for a #3 or #4 starter. What do you guys think???

Have you seen Josh Paul play? He isn't a legit starting catcher.

Daver
05-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt

Miguel Olivio is a fourth legit starter if you consider Paul a starter.

KruseControl04
05-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

That much is true

BuehrleACE56
05-09-2002, 09:42 PM
Kruser is right on. Paul isn't a legit starter. MJ is good and young. He has been swinging the bat real well this year too. I say we keep MJ as our #1 catcher the next few years. Sandy has been decent at the plate but people are stealing on him left and right. He is a legit starter but the bejesus amount of knee surgeries keep catching him up and now they are talking heart problems with that dizziness. He can't last much longer. The guy is OLD. MJ is the future. He'll be a good one for us.

MattSharp
05-09-2002, 10:30 PM
Not only aren't Paul and Olivo legit starters (at least yet), but I don't think there are any teams with GOOD #4 or #5 starters who would trade them for MJ. Not to mention the fact that the Sox need a good #2 or #3 starter, they have plenty of guys fit o play the 4th or 5th slot.....

ode to veeck
05-10-2002, 08:57 AM

he isn't even a legit baserunner ...
he isn't even a legit Cubune writer ...

34 Inch Stick
05-10-2002, 09:27 AM
Sure we could trade for a starter. Welcome back Jason Bere!

CerberusWG
05-10-2002, 10:21 AM
Paul is hitting .240 in AAA with a .290 OBP
Olivo is hitting .250 in AA with a .320 OBP
Lee Evans is hitting .280 with a .330 OBP

Evans has been PHing alot, and Olivo hasn't been throwing out many runners.

Just thought I'd inform everyone.

OfficerKarkovice
05-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Paul is hitting .240 in AAA with a .290 OBP
Olivo is hitting .250 in AA with a .320 OBP
Lee Evans is hitting .280 with a .330 OBP

Evans has been PHing alot, and Olivo hasn't been throwing out many runners.

Just thought I'd inform everyone.

Evans is the man...he looks like a badass back there...thats what we need a catcher who no one wants to mess with.

voodoochile
05-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

Evans is the man...he looks like a badass back there...thats what we need a catcher who no one wants to mess with.

Sounds like Sandy, if you ask me. I can't picture anyone messing with him. Big and tough. One of the best in the league at blocking the plate...

Garrison
05-10-2002, 04:36 PM
Sure Sandy might be physically imposing to a degree but the guy is so old and fragile that I'd be thinking i could run this guy over easily. He doesn't throw out that many baserunners either. I want to see more of MJ and his bat!