PDA

View Full Version : Player Intensity

october23sp
07-24-2008, 01:16 AM
If you were in the Gameday Thread a couple days ago, you will remember me questioning the Sox's intensity and will to win. I truly believe they didn't have their hearts set on winning that particular day and obviously after that comeback against the Rangers the White Sox may have showed more heart than any other team I have ever seen.

I hope they keep that intensity up because as today's game proved they really seem unbeatable when they are all giving 100% for the team. Hawk's calls were perfect and it was a fun game to watch. A team overcoming 4 errors and a late 4 run deficit was amazing.

The hustle plays by Alexie and Dye will make me never again question this teams will to win. HUGE series are coming up and I am hoping the off day doesn't take the players' minds off how big these upcoming games are.

The games will show a lot about how the sox will play down the stretch as both series' are on the road against division rivals. If we can win 3 out of 4 against the Twins that would be huge not only because it would extend the lead but it would show that we can win on the road against a team that is very very good at home.

Sorry to all those that I offended and made myself look stupid to on the gameday thread a couple days ago. Lets go Sox and get a couple series' victorys over the Twins and Tigers.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2008, 01:24 AM
The hustle plays by Alexie and Dye will make me never again question this teams will to win.We'll hold you to that.

And it's Alexei.

october23sp
07-24-2008, 01:43 AM
We'll hold you to that.

And it's Alexei.

My bad on the spelling of Alexei, I know how to spell.:D:

Hold me to all the things I said todays game showed me that these Sox won't settle for less than a WS ring.

Jurr
07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
The intensity and will to win stuff is overblown. Yes, on hustle plays it shows up, but success at the plate usually works the exact opposite. It's all about relaxation and confidence.

This isn't the NFL. To win in football, you run faster and jump higher when your intensity (or adrenaline) is jacked. Intensity in the NBA = you play harder on defense. Baseball is like golf. Keeping yourself calm is the key. When a baseball player is very intense, we call it pressing.

The best hitters are guys that can keep themselves calm and trust what their eyes tell them. You can "want to hit" all day long, having a desire to win the game on every swing. It doesn't help. Paul Konerko is probably one of the most "intense" guys on the team as far as competitive drive, but it works to his detriment at times. He always beats himself up over bad ABs.

If you get your adrenaline pushed too high, you tend to overreact to situations. In baseball, this leads to getting out in front of breaking pitches or swinging at absolute crap. Don't get it confused with being "stimulated", though. Players have been big on caffiene, ritalin, nicotine, and "greenies" for years, but that actually works to enhance focus. To me, it's still one of the strangest paradoxes in the realm of pharmacology.

The Milkman
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
The intensity and will to win stuff is overblown. Yes, on hustle plays it shows up, but success at the plate usually works the exact opposite. It's all about relaxation and confidence.

This isn't the NFL. To win in football, you run faster and jump higher when your intensity (or adrenaline) is jacked. Intensity in the NBA = you play harder on defense. Baseball is like golf. Keeping yourself calm is the key. When a baseball player is very intense, we call it pressing.

The best hitters are guys that can keep themselves calm and trust what their eyes tell them. You can "want to hit" all day long, having a desire to win the game on every swing. It doesn't help. Paul Konerko is probably one of the most "intense" guys on the team as far as competitive drive, but it works to his detriment at times. He always beats himself up over bad ABs.

If you get your adrenaline pushed too high, you tend to overreact to situations. In baseball, this leads to getting out in front of breaking pitches or swinging at absolute crap. Don't get it confused with being "stimulated", though. Players have been big on caffiene, ritalin, nicotine, and "greenies" for years, but that actually works to enhance focus. To me, it's still one of the strangest paradoxes in the realm of pharmacology.

CQ's flyout f-bombs are great, BTW

Jurr
07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
CQ's flyout f-bombs are great, BTW
Absolutely. Reminds me of a kid in our dixie youth (pony) league during middle school. This kid was the tiniest guy in the league. Looked like he was 10. He would scream f-bombs every time he popped up. In the middle of the bible belt, this was highly frowned upon. :o: