PDA

View Full Version : Cancel JD's ticket to the DH role next year.

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2008, 01:09 AM
When he signed his contract extension with us, my thinking as well as other Sox fans was that JD might have only 1 year left as an OF and then he would replace Thome as the DH by 2009.

If JD does not win a gold gove this year for his work in RF, then all credibility for that award should be gone. That play today was amazing and JD is turning out a web gem almost every week. And the breaks he is getting on the balls are amazing.

Check out that video on MLB.com of his play today. And this was a guy who took an ugly shot on his knee Sunday.

WOW!

hawkjt
07-24-2008, 01:16 AM
That was a spectacular play today. He really covered some ground to get there and timing the dive like that..impressive.
JD was just creaky coming out of spring training but the heat just seems to lube his joints and the JD of old comes bursting out.
He will be a key in Detroit vs Robertson(should hammer him) Verlander(tough) and Miner(go deep,JD).. TCQ,Thome,Alexei and JD have to stay hot in tigerland to have a chance to take the series. Tigers...mashing.

LoveYourSuit
07-24-2008, 01:18 AM
That was a spectacular play today. He really covered some ground to get there and timing the dive like that..impressive.
JD was just creaky coming out of spring training but the heat just seems to lube his joints and the JD of old comes bursting out.
He will be a key in Detroit vs Robertson(should hammer him) Verlander(tough) and Miner(go deep,JD).. Thome,Alexei and JD have to stay hot in tigerland to have a chance to take the series. Tigers...mashing.

This is the best defense I have seen JD play since he picked up a Sox uniform, by far.

DSpivack
07-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Anyone want to do the math with a 'projection' of Thome's plate appearances this year to see if he'll get to the number necessary to invoke the option (I believe it's 1100, not exactly sure)?

WhiteSox5187
07-24-2008, 02:08 AM
Everytime I see JD run in the OF though I can't help but think he's wondering "How long until I DH?" He's still making the plays he should but does not exactly glide across the OF.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2008, 02:14 AM
Anyone want to do the math with a 'projection' of Thome's plate appearances this year to see if he'll get to the number necessary to invoke the option (I believe it's 1100, not exactly sure)?Yes, it's 1100. He's currently at 902, so he needs 198. There are 62 games remaining, which works out to just a little over 3 PA per game. Barring injury, he'll make it easily.

ChiSoxFan7
07-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Yes, it's 1100. He's currently at 902, so he needs 198. There are 62 games remaining, which works out to just a little over 3 PA per game. Barring injury, he'll make it easily.

don't forget the chance that the whitesox bench him to aviod the option....

i know that should be in teal....but i guess stuff happens.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2008, 02:26 AM
don't forget the chance that the whitesox bench him to aviod the option....I honestly think the Sox have too much respect for Thome to do that.

Shoeless_Jeff
07-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Not to mention that benching your elite DH in a pennant race is insane.

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 06:39 AM
This is the best defense I have seen JD play since he picked up a Sox uniform, by far.

It is on par with several plays he has made here.

lukeman89
07-24-2008, 06:59 AM
don't forget the chance that the whitesox bench him to aviod the option....

i know that should be in teal....but i guess stuff happens.

i'd see it if he was hitting .220 with a .750 ops, but hes over .260 now and got an ops of almost .900, which is production i'm fine with in the DH role.

oeo
07-24-2008, 08:26 AM
I honestly think the Sox have too much respect for Thome to do that.

Not only that, but who in their right mind benches one of their hottest hitters? :scratch:

The guy has been tearing the cover off the ball since late May.

Craig Grebeck
07-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Not only that, but who in their right mind benches one of their hottest hitters? :scratch:

The guy has been tearing the cover off the ball since late May.
Exactly. People will say anything if it fits their agenda.

The way Thome is hitting it is clear he is not done.

BRDSR
07-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Everytime I see JD run in the OF though I can't help but think he's wondering "How long until I DH?" He's still making the plays he should but does not exactly glide across the OF.

I agree...in fact, I remember some plays earlier in the season where I really thought his defense was on the decline. His range seemed down and his once powerful arm didn't seem so impressive anymore. I have to agree, though, that it's been looking better lately...maybe he's warmed up with summer. But I don't think he's putting together a Gold Glove caliber season.

On the other hand, if he bats .315 with 35-40 home runs and 115 RBI and the Sox make the playoffs...he'll deserve to be in the MVP running (not that I think he would win, even if he deserved to).

aryzner
07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Why are some people talking about Thome hitting his plate appearances quote to activate that option? He's been awesome for a while now and if he hits like this next year, I have no problem with him being our DH. I have faith in the guy and hope he's still here next year.

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Why are some people talking about Thome hitting his plate appearances quote to activate that option? He's been awesome for a while now and if he hits like this next year, I have no problem with him being our DH. I have faith in the guy and hope he's still here next year.

The concern is that the Sox are fully on the hook for his $13 million salary in 2009. Assuming the $22 million Philly sent over with Thome paid his $2.5 million bonus in 2006 and the remainder is split evenly across the three years he has been here, the Sox are only paying him $7.5 million this season. So the money the Sox pay Thome would essentially double for next season. Is it worth $13 million for a 38 year old slugger that has his best years behind him? Maybe, maybe not...

oeo
07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I agree...in fact, I remember some plays earlier in the season where I really thought his defense was on the decline. His range seemed down and his once powerful arm didn't seem so impressive anymore. I have to agree, though, that it's been looking better lately...maybe he's warmed up with summer. But I don't think he's putting together a Gold Glove caliber season.

On the other hand, if he bats .315 with 35-40 home runs and 115 RBI and the Sox make the playoffs...he'll deserve to be in the MVP running (not that I think he would win, even if he deserved to).

His range still is down, it's been heading to the crapper since he's been here. He doesn't get much in the gap, and if it's over his head, then good luck.

That said, it's not like he's dropping balls out there (like Vlad has been this year). He's playing solid defense and doing it to the best of his abilities. I still think we should try to get him into a DH role, although that probably won't happen until 2010.

Heffalump
07-24-2008, 11:01 AM
I seem to remember a thread from earlier in the year (when JD wasn't as hot) where a bunch of posters were crapping on his D. I'm glad to see that people are changing their opinions a bit.

Here it is:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100370

GO JD!

GO SOX!

It's gonna be a big week with Detroit and Minny!

asindc
07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
The concern is that the Sox are fully on the hook for his $13 million salary in 2009. Assuming the $22 million Philly sent over with Thome paid his $2.5 million bonus in 2006 and the remainder is split evenly across the three years he has been here, the Sox are only paying him $7.5 million this season. So the money the Sox pay Thome would essentially double for next season. Is it worth $13 million for a 38 year old slugger that has his best years behind him? Maybe, maybe not...

There is also the consideration of having Alexei at SS next year and bringing in a leadoff 2B-type player to add speed to the lineup. If JD (or Pauly) was the DH, and you remove Thome to get either BA, Owens, or a FA to play the OF, then you have a faster, more balanced offense.

BRDSR
07-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I seem to remember a thread from earlier in the year (when JD wasn't as hot) where a bunch of posters were crapping on his D. I'm glad to see that people are changing their opinions a bit.

People (me included) were crapping on his D because his D was crappy. In April. People (me included) are changing their opinions a bit because it's been better in June and July.

Also, I will continue to crap on Crede's D until it is no longer crappy. (Yes, I know, he still makes great plays, yada yada yada...but his back is either bothering him or he hasn't been all there mentally in the field this year.)

Heffalump
07-24-2008, 11:12 AM
People (me included) were crapping on his D because his D was crappy. In April. People (me included) are changing their opinions a bit because it's been better in June and July.

Also, I will continue to crap on Crede's D until it is no longer crappy. (Yes, I know, he still makes great plays, yada yada yada...but his back is either bothering him or he hasn't been all there mentally in the field this year.)

Okay then. We agree to disagree then and now.

jabrch
07-24-2008, 11:20 AM
People just have no patience anymore...it's kinda sad.

Britt Burns
07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
If JD does not win a gold gove this year for his work in RF, then all credibility for that award should be gone.

Too late. Crede not winning a GG for the 2005 season took care of that.

Jim Shorts
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
There is also the consideration of having Alexei at SS next year and bringing in a leadoff 2B-type player to add speed to the lineup. If JD (or Pauly) was the DH, and you remove Thome to get either BA, Owens, or a FA to play the OF, then you have a faster, more balanced offense.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10907011

Take a gander at that rumor...

BRDSR
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Okay then. We agree to disagree then and now.

Fair enough. :wink:

turners56
07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
JD is still pretty low on defense according to sabermetricians...

Thank god they're not the ones handing out gold gloves.

soxinem1
07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I honestly think the Sox have too much respect for Thome to do that.

Not sure about that. If he is hitting like he did until the week before the ASB, they'll bench him, or platoon him.

Uncle Jerry would mandate it and not blink twice.

Originally I thought Quentin would be in RF in 2009, now I'm not so sure. It looks like LF is the best place for him. Despite some nice plays, I would think Dye is a DH in the wings, maybe even this year.

Whatever happens with Thome and Konerko in the off-season will have a great impact on who plays where in 2009.

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 12:13 PM

How would Thome be "removed"?

champagne030
07-24-2008, 12:18 PM

According to this website the Sox are paid $5.5M each season of 2006-2009. So, we'll be paying him $7.5M cash out of pocket next season.

http://www.mlb4u.com/profile.php?id=837

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
According to this website the Sox are paid $5.5M each season of 2006-2009. So, we'll be paying him $7.5M cash out of pocket next season.

http://www.mlb4u.com/profile.php?id=837

I refuse to believe that website. Why would Philly send the Sox cash to pay for an option year? If the option didn't vest, that $5.5 million is more than the $3 million buyout. What is this, free money land?

Besides, it would simply mean the Sox are paying more per year now than what I indicated.

PaleHoser
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM

Agreed!

The problem with JD is that he doesn't play in Boston or New York and is a consummate professional. He doesn't promote himself or stir controversy so he's not making headlines. Sadly, he'll probably be overlooked for post-season accolades.

He really reminds me a lot of Harold Baines in many aspects of his personality and his game.

champagne030
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I refuse to believe that website. Why would Philly send the Sox cash to pay for an option year? If the option didn't vest, that $5.5 million is more than the $3 million buyout. What is this, free money land?

It's $22M over 4 years. The Phillies would jump at the chance to pay it over 4 years vs. 3.

Rockabilly
07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Konerko will be the DH next year... With Swisher moving over to 1st

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
It's $22M over 4 years. The Phillies would jump at the chance to pay it over 4 years vs. 3.

And any deal would have them paying depreciated dollar costs due to inflation. JR wouldn't except some back-loaded deal where he has to take crappy 2009 dollars in place of lucritive 2006 dollars.

We've been through this before. No one here knows the exact terms of the deal but mlb4u keeps geeting brought up as some kind of reputable source.

Either way, Thome is from peoria.

fquaye149
07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
People just have no patience anymore...it's kinda sad.

You mean our hitters? Actually they ARE walking more.

Then again, if you would tell me they'd have xyz hits and jkl walks wherein jkl>the sum squares of the two legs of a right triangle divided by the length of the hypotenuse and xyz<the sum of the letters in June when assigned alphanumeric values, I would probably rather have WHOEVER THE SOX CURRENTLY HAVE!!!!

asindc
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
How would Thome be "removed"?

IF he didn't reach his plate appearance incentive this year, the Sox would option him out. Doesn't look like it will happen, though.

spiffie
07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
You mean our hitters? Actually they ARE walking more.

Then again, if you would tell me they'd have xyz hits and jkl walks wherein jkl>the sum squares of the two legs of a right triangle divided by the length of the hypotenuse and xyz<the sum of the letters in June when assigned alphanumeric values, I would probably rather have WHOEVER THE SOX CURRENTLY HAVE!!!!
The Sox are in first place. Therefore the everyday lineup is the best possible lineup. Why the **** people want to tinker with it is beyond me.

Paul Konerko will be a hero before this year is done. When they look back at this season, they will say that our push to the World Series was done riding the hot bat of Konerko in the second half. Make book of it.

digdagdug23
07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
The Sox are in first place. Therefore the everyday lineup is the best possible lineup. Why the **** people want to tinker with it is beyond me.

Paul Konerko will be a hero before this year is done. When they look back at this season, they will say that our push to the World Series was done riding the hot bat of Konerko in the second half. Make book of it.

WEll, since you have now said so, I believe it to be true.

champagne030
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
We've been through this before. No one here knows the exact terms of the deal but mlb4u keeps geeting brought up as some kind of reputable source.

Okay, nobody knows, but you're the one (and only one) who stated we are on the hook for $13M next season if the option vests.

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Okay, nobody knows, but you're the one (and only one) who stated we are on the hook for $13M next season if the option vests.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

States "about half of remaining salraies & buyout". This would imply the Sox are on the hook for $10 million in 2009.

:dunno:

don't ban me, u mods

champagne030
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

States "about half of remaining salraies & buyout". This would imply the Sox are on the hook for $10 million in 2009.

:dunno:

don't ban me, u mods

I don't get the implication. The Phillies kicked in $22M or about half of the $46M remaining on his contract.

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't get the implication. The Phillies kicked in $22M or about half of the $46M remaining on his contract.

The $46 million remaining included the buyout, not the full option.

:duel:

kitekrazy
07-24-2008, 05:04 PM
When he signed his contract extension with us, my thinking as well as other Sox fans was that JD might have only 1 year left as an OF and then he would replace Thome as the DH by 2009.

If JD does not win a gold gove this year for his work in RF, then all credibility for that award should be gone. That play today was amazing and JD is turning out a web gem almost every week. And the breaks he is getting on the balls are amazing.

Check out that video on MLB.com of his play today. And this was a guy who took an ugly shot on his knee Sunday.

WOW!

I think Dye's D often goes unappreciated. He's thrown quite a few people out.

thomas35forever
07-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Dye has made quite a few impressive plays in the field since he's put on a Sox uniform, especially this season. Everyone talks about how he should be DH sometime soon since he's gettting older. I don't think he wants to be shifted into that role just yet. Keep him in the field or else Thome can't play anywhere.

itsnotrequired
07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
some people might say he is the second coming of rowand

cws05champ
07-24-2008, 07:56 PM
some people might say he is the second coming of rowand
UUUUHHHHHH!! HOW DARE YOU!!!

Tragg
07-24-2008, 08:32 PM
For those who think that a young hitter needs to hit immediately, check out Dye's stats in his first 3 years in the majors. Mighty ugly getting 200-300 AB a year. Then he got 500-600 and he blossomed.

He was once traded for Neifi Perez....yes, that is THE Neifi Perez.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
For those who think that a young hitter needs to hit immediately, check out Dye's stats in his first 3 years in the majors. Mighty ugly getting 200-300 AB a year. Then he got 500-600 and he blossomed.

He was once traded for Neifi Perez....yes, that is THE Neifi Perez.

Patience? We don't have time for patience! :rolleyes:

soxfanreggie
07-25-2008, 01:04 AM
I was planning on PK moving there with Swisher moving to first. I don't think PK is going anywhere...very little trade value right now.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2008, 02:20 AM
The concern is that the Sox are fully on the hook for his $13 million salary in 2009. Assuming the $22 million Philly sent over with Thome paid his $2.5 million bonus in 2006 and the remainder is split evenly across the three years he has been here, the Sox are only paying him $7.5 million this season. So the money the Sox pay Thome would essentially double for next season. Is it worth $13 million for a 38 year old slugger that has his best years behind him? Maybe, maybe not...I heard Steve Stone say that the Phillies are on the hook for nearly half of the option year as well. Why would they do that? Perhaps because they agreed to it in the trade conditions.

whitesox901
07-25-2008, 02:30 AM
I was planning on PK moving there with Swisher moving to first. I don't think PK is going anywhere...very little trade value right now.

Dont the Giants have a nact for taking in veteran players?

drewcifer
07-25-2008, 03:43 AM
And any deal would have them paying depreciated dollar costs due to inflation. JR wouldn't except some back-loaded deal where he has to take crappy 2009 dollars in place of lucritive 2006 dollars.

Either way, Thome is from peoria.

That, and you don't know **** about $.

Figure. :rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
07-25-2008, 06:31 AM
That, and you don't know **** about $.

Figure. :rolleyes:

I am only here to spread lies.