PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox looking at Uribe

wsoxfan
07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Red Sox in discussion for Uribe. (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10907011) Not sure what we'd get in return but it might lead to another deal. Thoughts?

rustysurf83
07-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't know if we can give away Uribe with Crede's recent situation. **** Alex Cora...the only thing I would trade him for is a solid pitcher or a no **** leadoff hitter who can play center. I don't think KW lets Uribe go, without testing out Fields first. Maybe I'm way off base but trading for a utility in fielder is near the bottom of our list.

Madvora
07-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah a utility infielder for a utility infielder isn't the kind of trade that makes sense. There would have to be something else involved.

slavko
07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
You can never have too many utility infielders.

veeter
07-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Uribe and that cannon for an arm, are too valuable to trade, IMO. Imagine if Ozuna was playing third yesterday or today.

Tragg
07-23-2008, 08:37 PM
We don't need Cora.

As a utility infielder, Uribe is pretty good (expensive, but good). As a starting SS he's okay too.

Frater Perdurabo
07-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I think Uribe may be playing his way into another contract offer from the Sox.

His excellent defense makes him an ideal "injury insurance" backup at SS, 3B and 2B.

Next year, if Crede is gone, it might be sensible to have Uribe be the 3B and have Fields DH when Buehrle pitches.

No need to trade him right now.

cws05champ
07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Who are this guys "sources"? Uribe for Cora? We just cut a player that is better than Cora....ya that makes sense.

Now that Ozuna is gone, trading Uribe doesn't make sense unless someone gets stupid and gives you a decent prospect. And let's face it, that's not going to happen.

BadBobbyJenks
07-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Uribe's last two games at third filling in for Crede is all the proof you need, that he should stay with us.

gf2020
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I am of the mind that we shouldn't trade with a fellow contender unless the deal is obviously one sided.

oeo
07-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Who are this guys "sources"? Uribe for Cora? We just cut a player that is better than Cora....ya that makes sense.

That was just the writer's (bad) speculation. He said it was 'not clear' what we would want.

EuroSox35
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Trading deadline is going to be fun

DickAllen72
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Uribe's last two games at third filling in for Crede is all the proof you need, that he should stay with us.
Amen.

Uribe is probably the best defensive third baseman in the organization. He's also a top tier defensive SS and 2B. He also has 20HR power.

They should keep Uribe. He just may be their regular starting third baseman before this season is over. I'd trade him for something of value, but I certainly wouldn't just give him away for a "prospect" unless it was a top flight prospect.

CashMan
07-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Amen.

Uribe is probably the best defensive third baseman in the organization. He's also a top tier defensive SS and 2B. He also has 20HR power.

He also has the ability to throw up a sexy .230 avg. I agree KEEP HIM!

Tragg
07-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I think Uribe may be playing his way into another contract offer from the Sox.

His excellent defense makes him an ideal "injury insurance" backup at SS, 3B and 2B.

Next year, if Crede is gone, it might be sensible to have Uribe be the 3B and have Fields DH when Buehrle pitches.

No need to trade him right now.
The problem is that $4 mill is too steep for a utility infielder. And he might be able to get that as a starting SS. Sox have a lot of middle infielders.
For $2 million, sure, keep him next year.

DickAllen72
07-23-2008, 11:04 PM
He also has the ability to throw up a sexy .230 avg. I agree KEEP HIM!
If you want to be a wise guy, actually his career BA over 8 seasons is .252. He batted .283 with 23 HRs in 502 ABs in 2004. Hate him all you want, but at least be accurate in your criticism.

I'm not saying he's a great hitter. Not even saying he's a good hitter. All I said was he's their best defensive third baseman, a top flight defensive 2B and SS, and has 20HR power. You don't just throw that away for nothing.

CashMan
07-23-2008, 11:09 PM
If you want to be a wise guy, actually his career BA over 8 seasons is .252. He batted .283 with 23 HRs in 502 ABs in 2004. Hate him all you want, but at least be accurate in your criticism.

I'm not saying he's a great hitter. Not even saying he's a good hitter. All I said was he's their best defensive third baseman, a top flight defensive 2B and SS, and has 20HR power. You don't just throw that away for nothing.

2006: .235
2007: .234
2008: .225

ya....I guess I am a wise guy.

Tragg
07-23-2008, 11:10 PM
For a SS, he's certainly no worse than an average hitter. He has pop, his average is okay, but his obp is really awful. I think you overstate his D (it's awfully inconsistent) but, it too, is above average.
I didn't see him as a weakness after 2007.

CashMan
07-23-2008, 11:15 PM
For a SS, he's certainly no worse than an average hitter. He has pop, his average is okay, but his obp is really awful. I think you overstate his D (it's awfully inconsistent) but, it too, is above average.
I didn't see him as a weakness after 2007.

Don't forget to throw in his 100 SOs last year.

gogosox16
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM

dont tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it:redneck

gr8mexico
07-23-2008, 11:22 PM
I wonder if the Sox can do a 3 way deal with the Indians The Sox get Casey Blake, The Red Sox get Juan Uribe and the Indians get someone from the Red Sox. Blake can play 3rd, 1st and the OF

CashMan
07-23-2008, 11:40 PM
dont tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it:redneck

LOL, when you swing at the 1st pitch and strike out 100 times a year, you don't hit the ball much.

whitesox901
07-24-2008, 12:08 AM
wow people defending Juan. He seems to be great insurance!

dwalteroo
07-24-2008, 01:44 AM

Agreed. Crede's back is hurt, and Fields is no Juan defensively. Moreover we just dumped Ozuna.

We are 2/3 of the way through this year; if we need a trade, it isn't to dump Juan's salary. Keep him for his defense, see what else you can do.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2008, 02:49 AM
With Ozuna gone, the Sox need to keep Uribe.

Mohoney
07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
With Ozuna gone, the Sox need to keep Uribe.

Exactly. Trading Uribe became practically impossible once Ozuna was DFA.

If there is another guy out there that can play 2B, SS, and 3B at a very good defensive level, AND makes less than Uribe, AND the team that this player plays for wants to give him up for next to nothing, then maybe you can trade Uribe.

Right now, nobody comes to mind that fulfills these requirements, and since we're already this far into the season, the money saved by dealing Uribe isn't really all that much. If that money is truly needed to facilitate another trade, then Kenny will do what he has to do, but I can't see the money that Uribe is owed for the rest of the season being a deal-breaker for another trade.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
This reminds me of last year, when the Red Sox were trying to snatch Mark Buehrle for Willy Mo "Spare Part" Pena.

Why the heck would the White Sox trade away their superior utility infielder for an inferior utility infielder?

To help the Red Sox?

**** 'em, that's why I say.

roadrunner
07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
This reminds me of last year, when the Red Sox were trying to snatch Mark Buehrle for Willy Mo "Spare Part" Pena.

Why the heck would the White Sox trade away their superior utility infielder for an inferior utility infielder?

To help the Red Sox?

I agree. If we're going anywhere this year it's going to be through Boston. Sure, Uribe can't hit but he would be a HUGE upgrade for them defensively and they have the offense to sustain even a .200 hitter at short.

Trading him to Boston would be tantamount to trading him to a division rival. DO NOT help them in any way shape or form.

oeo
07-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Maybe the guy lacks inspiration? He has loads of talent...just could never use it consistently.

He plays very well in 2004 trying to prove himself, then is handed the starting job 05-07...the average plummets. Now he's back in a utility role, and the guy has gone double crazy, he's stealing bases, and running the bases well.

Then you look at 2005, and he really stepped it up in the postseason...especially defensively. When Juan wants to play, Juan can play. The problem is, half the time he just doesn't feel like trying.

Thome25
07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah a utility infielder for a utility infielder isn't the kind of trade that makes sense. There would have to be something else involved.

It makes sense from the standpoint that the White Sox could be saving some money......not sure what Alex Cora makes though.

Tragg
07-24-2008, 09:34 AM

To help the Red Sox?

I say that too.
Cora's a Cintron. Uribe's 2 grades above that.

asindc
07-24-2008, 09:54 AM

To help the Red Sox?

I say **** 'em as well, if that's what they are offering. Now, if they want to give us one of their top 3 pitching prospects, then we can talk. Otherwise...

skottyj242
07-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I like the end of that article where it says we may get Derek Lowe. That would be awesome. It would just be a rental though.

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
:uribe:
Finally a little WSI Love!

skottyj242
07-24-2008, 10:51 AM
:uribe:
Finally a little WSI Love!

I have never stopped loving John Uribe.

Tragg
07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I like the end of that article where it says we may get Derek Lowe. That would be awesome. It would just be a rental though. That's all we would want him for.

oeo
07-24-2008, 11:21 AM
It makes sense from the standpoint that the White Sox could be saving some money......not sure what Alex Cora makes though.

All of ~$2 million the rest of the year? What are they going to do with that?

Why does everyone make such a big deal out of Uribe's contract?

turners56
07-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Derek Lowe I will take, but Alex Cora? Hell to the no. I'd consider Coco Crisp, but we have 2 extra OFers already...

I don't know about you guys, but I think some of us are overvaluing Uribe...

The best he could get us is probably a guy like Cora. Anything more is plain ludicrous.

The Immigrant
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
The best he could get us is probably a guy like Cora. Anything more is plain ludicrous.

Which is why it makes no sense to trade Uribe, and which is why I believe this story to be yet another creation of the ridiculous media circus that surrounds the Red Sox.

KW has the green light to add salary if it would help the ballclub and is under no pressure to trade anyone in a salary dump.

07-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Which is why it makes no sense to trade Uribe, and which is why I believe this story to be yet another creation of the ridiculous media circus that surrounds the Red Sox.

I was thinking the same thing ... you summed it up perfectly.

It's almost as if "We're the Red Sox and we get whatever we want. At this time we need a SS, so let's see who we want and which team we'll bend over to acquire him." Not the Red Sox mgmt. themselves, but some of the media covering the team.

stacksedwards
07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
unless this would guarantee us getting Brian Roberts no thanks

ondafarm
07-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Look all you want. No can have.

Bucky F. Dent
07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
First reaction - given Crede's back - no deal.

Second reaction - waddaya got?

russ99
07-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I am of the mind that we shouldn't trade with a fellow contender unless the deal is obviously one sided.

How about Uribe for Crisp? Is that one-sided enough? :tongue:

russ99
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
I like the end of that article where it says we may get Derek Lowe. That would be awesome. It would just be a rental though.

I hate it. Why give up Cabrera, who's doing pretty well for us last time I looked for an oft-injured 35 year old rental pitcher that we may not even need...

Ramirez/Cabrera is way better defensively for our current pitchers than Cora/Ramirez, not to mention the drop-off at the plate.

I say keep O.C. and at least offer him arb - best case, he stays here a few more years. Worst case, we get solid infield defense all year and a comp draft pick when Cabrera signs elsewhere.

spawn
07-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when people in a thread weren't begging for Uribe to be traded...for anything.

turners56
07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
How about Uribe for Crisp? Is that one-sided enough? :tongue:

We don't need Coco Crisp.

turners56
07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when people in a thread weren't begging for Uribe to be traded...for anything.

The people on this board are more rational than you thought they were, eh?

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Why would the Red Sox take a look at Uribe instead of their in house solution, Lowrie?

turners56
07-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Why would the Red Sox take a look at Uribe instead of their in house solution, Lowrie?

Who knows? I don't know why Red Sox fans are even complaining about Lugo, his numbers are much better than Uribe's. He might not have much power but he has a .355 OBP and 12 SBs. That's not bad for a SS.

Sockinchisox
07-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Rosenthal says the they're definitely talking and says that Cora would be coming here.

He believes we'd then ship Cabrera to the Dodgers for Lowe and use Cora as a part time 2B with Ramirez moving to short.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8375934/White-Sox,-Red-Sox-swapping-infielders??CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=3498

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Rosenthal says the they're definitely talking and says that Cora would be coming here.

He believes we'd then ship Cabrera to the Dodgers for Lowe and use Cora as a part time 2B with Ramirez moving to short.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8375934/White-Sox,-Red-Sox-swapping-infielders??CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=3498

He also says the Sox might send another piece to the Dodgers, with Ozuna coming back to the Sox.
:scratch:

chaotic8512
07-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Cora at 2nd = :puking:

I'd at least hope, at that point, they'd consider bringing up Getz, or Richar at least. I don't see why KW thinks that messing with the leadoff spot is an option at this point in the season.

ArkanSox
07-24-2008, 06:04 PM
This may cheer up a few people. OC also on the block?

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10907011/rss

chaotic8512
07-24-2008, 06:09 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103846

http://www.lostblog.net/postimages/hurley.jpg

Dude....

What's the score? :tongue:

ChiSoxFan7
07-24-2008, 06:11 PM
as learned through the soriano crap of past...i don't rush to believe that just cuz the whitesox are talking or even in DEEP talks that it means anything.

When Dan Jiggets (sp?), Gale Sayers, or Josh Mora tell me then i'll believe that it's done. otherwise i'm not buying.

But if we could somehow pull these trades off with only losing one but no more than 2 prosepcts i would be happy. Because to be completely honest we have no prospects left!

thomas35forever
07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103846

http://www.lostblog.net/postimages/hurley.jpg

Dude....

What's the score? :tongue:
Haha! That Hurley pic takes the cake.

TomBradley72
07-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Watching Uribe the last few days...he seems like he has lost some weight, running the bases well, drawing walks, and a big hit yesterday...only a few games...but if he could keep it up...even with a low batting average...he's a valuable guy to have on the roster. Tremendous insurance against Crede, OC or Alexei going on the DL.

doublem23
07-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't understand why we'd need to swap Uribe and Cora to ship Cabrera to the Dodgers for Lowe... I don't love Uribe at short/second, but I like him a helluva lot more than I do Cora.

btrain929
07-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't understand why we'd need to swap Uribe and Cora to ship Cabrera to the Dodgers for Lowe... I don't love Uribe at short/second, but I like him a helluva lot more than I do Cora.

Because Joey told KW that Alex is in the best shape of his career.....

oeo
07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
as learned through the soriano crap of past...i don't rush to believe that just cuz the whitesox are talking or even in DEEP talks that it means anything.

I think more of Miguel Cabrera. It went from the Sox having a done deal to the Tigers in the matter of a few minutes.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 07:26 PM

I agree. Why not just send Cabrera to the Dodgers for Lowe? Then Uribe plays SS and Alexei stays at 2B.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I agree. Why not just send Cabrera to the Dodgers for Lowe? Then Uribe plays SS and Alexei stays at 2B.

The problem with that is we have no leadoff hitter. Cabrera isn't the best but he's done a decent job so far.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
The problem with that is we have no leadoff hitter. Cabrera isn't the best but he's done a decent job so far.

My point was to demonstrate the uselessness of trading Uribe for Alex Cora.

Unless Alex Cora the missing leadoff hitter we need? :scratch:

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 07:56 PM
If we are sending Uribe to Boston for a middle infielder it should be Lugo coming here. At least he can protend to be a leadoff guy.

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Also trading Cabrera for Lowe makes the Garland look like a wasted failure. Whether it is or isn't is one's opinion but you never want to declare a made trade a failure.

Tragg
07-24-2008, 08:36 PM
If we are sending Uribe to Boston for a middle infielder it should be Lugo coming here. At least he can protend to be a leadoff guy.Yikes -Lugo sucks.
Boston has a problem in the Middle infield. Lugo was a terrible signing, Cora is cintronesque and their youngster Lowrie (who was never a grade A prospect) isn't getting it done either.
Why should the Sox help them? Especially if all we get out of it is payroll relief.
Don't trade with Boston (unless they want to give us something crazy for Uribe, who would be an upgrade for them).

I wouldn't trade Cabrera for Lowe yet. Richard pitched well enough to give it another go or 3; there are optionos. Lowe isnt very good. I think Cabrera's better than Uribe in the field (just more consistent) and his plate skills mean more to the Sox than Uribe's (we have enough HR hitters). Plus Cabrera's a class A FA (don't know about Lowe).

soxtalker
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Also trading Cabrera for Lowe makes the Garland look like a wasted failure. Whether it is or isn't is one's opinion but you never want to declare a made trade a failure.

First of all, I'm not sure that how it looks is really very important. If Kenny made a mistake in a trade, wouldn't you rather have him acknowledge it and try to correct it than try to justify the original move?

But you don't really need to look at it that way. At the time KW made the trade, he thought he had enough starting pitching. And he wanted Danks and Floyd to start. If he doesn't make the original trade, one of those two doesn't start. Things have changed. He would be replacing Contreras (I assume).

russ99
07-24-2008, 10:34 PM
First of all, I'm not sure that how it looks is really very important. If Kenny made a mistake in a trade, wouldn't you rather have him acknowledge it and try to correct it than try to justify the original move?

But you don't really need to look at it that way. At the time KW made the trade, he thought he had enough starting pitching. And he wanted Danks and Floyd to start. If he doesn't make the original trade, one of those two doesn't start. Things have changed. He would be replacing Contreras (I assume).

And why are we in a big hurry to ditch O.C.? Other than the scorer controversy and a slow start due to the cold (both of which are months of water under the bridge), he's done great here, and he has solid playoff experience. If we're going to deal a soon-to-be FA we won't be re-signing, it would be Crede.

And for a rental with injury question marks, why not deal Uribe and a prospect if Kenny must have Lowe? That would be a lot more in line with the Wolf and Rauch deals as far as a return on a 3 month rental player... There's no need to break up the starting infield of a first pace team.

Sockinchisox
07-25-2008, 02:42 AM
Red Sox have backed out, deal is dead.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/no_uribe.html

drewcifer
07-25-2008, 03:00 AM
Uribe to the Red Sox... :rolleyes:

Kenny made a special deal at the 11th hour to keep him. Reduced his option, actually...by 1/2 million.

He's not going to get schooled by boy-Theo...

Dumb ****ing article.

TheVulture
07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
The problem is that $4 mill is too steep for a utility infielder. And he might be able to get that as a starting SS. Sox have a lot of middle infielders.
For $2 million, sure, keep him next year.

The sox aren't strapped for cash, and they've payed similarly for utility players before.

oeo
07-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Why should the Sox help them? Especially if all we get out of it is payroll relief.

Payroll relief? It's two more months.

From day one, everyone has made a big deal out of his contract, and I can't believe some still are. It's a one year contract. It wasn't a big deal the day he signed, it's definitely not a big deal now.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Yikes -Lugo sucks.
Boston has a problem in the Middle infield. Lugo was a terrible signing, Cora is cintronesque and their youngster Lowrie (who was never a grade A prospect) isn't getting it done either.
Don't trade with Boston (unless they want to give us something crazy for Uribe, who would be an upgrade for them).

I wouldn't trade Cabrera for Lowe yet. Richard pitched well enough to give it another go or 3; there are optionos. Lowe isnt very good. I think Cabrera's better than Uribe in the field (just more consistent) and his plate skills mean more to the Sox than Uribe's (we have enough HR hitters). Plus Cabrera's a class A FA (don't know about Lowe).

He just got called up. He'll be fine, as they don't need him to be a great hitter, just a consistent glove. He's done that so far.

Tragg
07-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Payroll relief? It's two more months.

From day one, everyone has made a big deal out of his contract, and I can't believe some still are. It's a one year contract. It wasn't a big deal the day he signed, it's definitely not a big deal now.
You're right - it's not a big benefit - who said it was? But it is a benefit and the only benefit we'd get from making the trade. Because it's not big, don't make it and we didn't so everybody's happy.

Looking at the future, Uribe is a grade A utility player. He can handle 3 infield positions with plus defense. He can probably get more from a team as a SS than the Sox will pay as a utility player (I don't recall the Sox paying $4 mill for a utility infielder before - 1/2 of that is closer).

BadBobbyJenks
07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Coletti was quoted as saying Lowe is going no where so we can put that rumor to bed.

Heffalump
07-28-2008, 04:43 PM
no way you trade Uribe now, unless some goofball GM gives up something of real value.

As others have said, having Uribe on the bench is the best infield insurance policy you can get.

07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Coletti was quoted as saying Lowe is going no where so we can put that rumor to bed.

Not surprising at all. They're in the weak NL West, right in the thick of the race. Seems doubtful they'd part with pitching. If anything one would think they'll like to add pitching.