PDA

View Full Version : Great Point by Wills Today

Viva Magglio
05-09-2002, 08:36 PM
On the postgame show, Dave Wills made a point about the Cubs and how their fans go through 180ş mood swings based on how they do. I admit that my mood tends to swing based on how our team does, but the way the Cubs people do it is much more dramatic.

Wills said that two days ago when Kerry Wood and Mark Prior had spectacular outings, Cub fans were printing their World Series tickets and not seeing a losable game remaining on their schedule. At that point, the Cubs were the greatest team in the history of sports. Today, after dropping two in a row including a drubbing to the worst team in baseball, they are all on the ledge and ready to run Don Baylor out of town. My how minds change.

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Today, after dropping two in a row including a drubbing to the worst team in baseball, they are all on the ledge and ready to run Don Baylor out of town. My how minds change.
Well, Sox fans may not print WS tickets after every winning streak, but feel free to peruse WSI after a couple of Sox losses and see how many are out on the ledge and demanding that pretty much everybody be fired.

Viva Magglio
05-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Well, Sox fans may not print WS tickets after every winning streak, but feel free to peruse WSI after a couple of Sox losses and see how many are out on the ledge and demanding that pretty much everybody be fired.

I plead guilty as charged on that one. Monday night as a matter of fact, I had (and still do) have Jerry Manuel's head on the chopping block if we don't make the playoffs. He definitely blew the game Monday night. And even though the "Fire Nardi" sentiment is not as loud, it's still out there.

FarWestChicago
05-09-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Well, Sox fans may not print WS tickets after every winning streak, but feel free to peruse WSI after a couple of Sox losses and see how many are out on the ledge and demanding that pretty much everybody be fired. LOL, you are correct, Sir. :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
05-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
On the postgame show, Dave Wills made a point about the Cubs and how their fans go through 180ş mood swings based on how they do. I admit that my mood tends to swing based on how our team does, but the way the Cubs people do it is much more dramatic.

Wills said that two days ago when Kerry Wood and Mark Prior had spectacular outings, Cub fans were printing their World Series tickets and not seeing a losable game remaining on their schedule. At that point, the Cubs were the greatest team in the history of sports. Today, after dropping two in a row including a drubbing to the worst team in baseball, they are all on the ledge and ready to run Don Baylor out of town. My how minds change.

It must be in their blood. I remember driving back from Comiskey in July '99 after the Flubs had beaten the Sox, and listening to the Score, and every single damn Flub fan calling in was convinced that the Flubs' recent successes was the start of them making it to the postseason. This, mind you, was a team that finished a dreadful 67-95. Don't mind them.

As for Sox fans, I've seen people blow up on this site after bad losses (or even mild ones like the 6-5 loss to Texas earlier in the week), but I think for the most part we (at least the ones who don't need Prozac) temper the losses and the win streaks/blowouts with a heavy dose of reality. Many of us have confidence in this team, yes, but it just seems way more steeped in reality than in Blue Rock Land. So much of the Flubbie fans' thinking relies on HUGE "if"s. The Flubs will always be great as soon as they bring up player X -- last year it was McGriff, this year it was Alou, now it's Prior and Hill. Might I remind everyone how old some of these Flubbie "stars" are? They have an incredibly small window to produce.

The Sox, meanwhile, have a good enough team to win the division right now, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Most of us think it will be a dograce with the Twins, and I don't think anyone thinks it will be an easy task.

Iwritecode
05-10-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

It must be in their blood. I remember driving back from Comiskey in July '99 after the Flubs had beaten the Sox, and listening to the Score, and every single damn Flub fan calling in was convinced that the Flubs' recent successes was the start of them making it to the postseason. This, mind you, was a team that finished a dreadful 67-95. Don't mind them.

As for Sox fans, I've seen people blow up on this site after bad losses (or even mild ones like the 6-5 loss to Texas earlier in the week), but I think for the most part we (at least the ones who don't need Prozac) temper the losses and the win streaks/blowouts with a heavy dose of reality. Many of us have confidence in this team, yes, but it just seems way more steeped in reality than in Blue Rock Land. So much of the Flubbie fans' thinking relies on HUGE "if"s. The Flubs will always be great as soon as they bring up player X -- last year it was McGriff, this year it was Alou, now it's Prior and Hill. Might I remind everyone how old some of these Flubbie "stars" are? They have an incredibly small window to produce.

The Sox, meanwhile, have a good enough team to win the division right now, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Most of us think it will be a dograce with the Twins, and I don't think anyone thinks it will be an easy task.

I usually only get upset about the heartbreak losses. Mostly the few that Foulke blows in the ninth. The losses like the past 2 against Texas aren't quite as bad. I don't like them but I don't exactly expect the team to go 162 - 0 either. Hell, I don't even expect them to go 100 - 62. 60+ losses are probably going to happen like it or not. Just as long as they can stay close in the standings I'll be ok. Cubs and Toons losses like tonight help too... :smile:

Speaking of the Toons, you want to talk about fans doing a complete 180 after every game! Go over to the troll board and check out what's going on every once in a while. It's usually quite interesting (and humorous) reading.

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 01:30 AM
Wills was hilarious! He takes no **** from cub fans and is not afraid to say he hates the cubs.

Some idiot called up and asked if wills though baylor made a mistake with bere today.

Wills

"What? Did Bere pitch today? How would I know? why would I care? This is a White Sox post game show. If the Sox are playing, I don't care what the Cubs are doing. I'm a White Sox fan"

Wills and Hawk might make a good team if they wouldn't kill eachother.

:hawk
"hey there fiesty! got any emails?"

:wills
"shut up redneck"

GASHWOUND
05-10-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Wills was hilarious! He takes no **** from cub fans and is not afraid to say he hates the cubs.

Some idiot called up and asked if wills though baylor made a mistake with bere today.

Wills

"What? Did Bere pitch today? How would I know? why would I care? This is a White Sox post game show. If the Sox are playing, I don't care what the Cubs are doing. I'm a White Sox fan"

Wills and Hawk might make a good team if they wouldn't kill eachother.

:hawk
"hey there fiesty! got any emails?"

:wills
"shut up redneck"

What? What the hell was a guy calling about Bere on the Sox post game show? LOL I didn't here todays post game show, but I always enjoy Wills.
And do Wills and Hawk have some bad blood or something? Why would they kill each other?

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

What? What the hell was a guy calling about Bere on the Sox post game show? LOL I didn't here todays post game show, but I always enjoy Wills.
And do Wills and Hawk have some bad blood or something? Why would they kill each other?

Wills doesn't seem like the type to take any crap while DJ is a corperate lap dog. I just can't see Hawk and Wills working together.

I think he would be great though. Wish i could match his salary. I'd have him our full time totally biased annoucer. lol What's the color for pipe dream again?

FarWestChicago
05-10-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I think he would be great though. Wish i could match his salary. I'd have him our full time totally biased annoucer. lol What's the color for pipe dream again? That's cold, dude. What about Guido? We love Guido!!! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: