PDA

View Full Version : Tigers

LITTLE NELL
07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
This has turned into a 3 team race, if the Sox lose today we will be only 4.5 ahead of Detroit. Its becoming obvious that the Tigers will be the team we must beat. The Twins cant beat anybody thats .500 or better. We need to start winning games and not lose to teams like KC or Texas etc.

Palehose Pete
07-23-2008, 03:47 PM
You're right.

This next week of baseball will go a long ways in determining the course of the Sox' season.

LITTLE NELL
07-23-2008, 04:13 PM
We just won, 5.5 ahead of Detroit.

WhiteSox5187
07-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Well, we're still 5.5 up but we got a big roadtrip coming up. A sweep of Detroit can put them away for good.

BadBobbyJenks
07-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Up 6.5 or 8.5 leaving Detroit, no doubt in my mind.

whitesox901
07-23-2008, 10:57 PM
**** the tigers, theyre still **** in my book

WhiteSox5187
07-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Up 6.5 or 8.5 leaving Detroit, no doubt in my mind.
I think a lot of us were thinking that the LAST time we went to Detroit and we wound up getting swept. So I'm not going to take anything for granted. These will be three tough games and hopefully we can come thru.

Oblong
07-24-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm bummed because I had the chance to go to 2 of these games but we're going to Cedar Point on Friday and Sunday's our day to clean up/get rested because we were on vacation the last 5 days.

The only cliche I can say that's meaningful is that this is what it's all about. It's why we're fans. Divisional games, tightening races, late July....

But barring a sweep by either squad I don't see much here. It's only one game in the standings without a sweep.

JB98
07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
The Twins are still the biggest threat to the Sox in this division.

turners56
07-24-2008, 12:40 PM
1/3 in Detroit does not mean the end of the world. We just can't get swept. With Danks, Floyd, and Vazquez going, I don't see why we can't take 2/3 though.

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
This weekend the division can be won in my mind. If we sweep I think we will go on a huge roll and bury Detroit and Minnesota. If Detroit sweeps the division will be thiers.

palehozenychicty
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM
This weekend the division can be won in my mind. If we sweep I think we will go on a huge roll and bury Detroit and Minnesota. If Detroit sweeps the division will be thiers.

I can't buy that. Not with that pitching staff.

jabrch
07-24-2008, 01:49 PM

You can not win a division in July.

gobears1987
07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I can't buy that. Not with that pitching staff.Agreed.

Minnesota is and will be the team that challenges us for the rest of the year. Especially if they bring Liriano up. Detroit still has no bullpen and won't win many close games.

whitesox901
07-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I think 2/3 we will do, Detroits playing some good ball as of late (granted it is Baltimore, and Kansas City), but momentum is momentum, I think Detroit's pitching is too weak to do really anything, just as I predicted:

Someone with some sense, Im not worried about detriot, sure, they got that killer offense, but look at the pitching, the rotation (projected): Verlander, Willis, Rogers, Robertson, Bonderman. Willis had a pretty bad year last year with a 5.00 ERA and a losing record, he isnt the same after 05'. Rogers is coming off an injury and his age isnt helping. Robertson and Bonderman were 2006 one year wonders. And look at the bullpen! Seay was the only one with an ERA under 4.00, and its not a Todd Jones save without giving up three runs. Sure detriot will score 5+ runs a game, but the pitching will give up 7+. whats that smell, smells like 2006 white sox baseball in detriot :tongue:

but all aside, I dont think a sweep can knock them out, but remeber they did have to surge before the All Star break for .500

FloridaTigers
07-24-2008, 08:50 PM
You know, "that pitching staff", Robertson aside, has done a great job. Verlander, Rogers, and Galarraga have done well. Miner hopefully steps up and repeats his 2006 starting stats. I'd feel much better about our chances if Bonderman weren't hurt though.

getonbckthr
07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
You know, "that pitching staff", Robertson aside, has done a great job. Verlander, Rogers, and Galarraga have done well. Miner hopefully steps up and repeats his 2006 starting stats. I'd feel much better about our chances if Bonderman weren't hurt though.
Are your starters going to pitch 60 straight CG's?

chisoxmike
07-27-2008, 12:20 AM

OK.

I hope posters on Motown Sports keep calling us the Sux, call our pitching staff overrated, and post hillbilly photos when talking about the Sox. Keep up with the hate.:bandance:

Optipessimism
07-27-2008, 12:45 AM
The Tigers' pitching staff compared to the rest of the AL:

11th of 14 in ERA
8th of 14 in wins
11th of 14 in saves
13th of 14 in CG
13th of 14 in shut outs
11th of 14 in IP
8th of 14 in hits
10th of 14 in runs allowed
3rd of 14 in HR allowed (hey, that's good!)
12th of 14 in BB
14th of 14 in strikeouts

I'm not here to rag on you Tigers fans, but your pitching staff sucks. That's just how it is. We sucked ass last year too, so we know what it's like. Just start thinking about the young players and next year.

gobears1987
07-27-2008, 02:02 AM
3rd of 14 in HR allowed (hey, that's good!)
That's influenced heavily by the huge park they play in. A 415 foot bomb at Comiskey is a warning track shot at Comerica.

RadioheadRocks
07-27-2008, 02:09 AM
OK.

I hope posters on Motown Sports keep calling us the Sux, call our pitching staff overrated, and post hillbilly photos when talking about the Sox. Keep up with the hate.:bandance:

You know Timberwolf will, if nobody else does!

TDog
07-27-2008, 02:24 AM
You can not win a division in July.

Don't you remember how the Indians knocked the White Sox out of the race this year by beating them in the first two games of the season? Go back and read the postgame thread after the April 2 game and see how that corresponds with the current standings.

These games are important. They may ultimately decide the race. If they do, it will be in large part because of what happens after the Sox have finished playing in Detroit this season.

hawkjt
07-27-2008, 09:27 AM
in his last start...Sox need to be ready today. And Javy has to step up.

Oblong
07-27-2008, 10:13 AM
For the record, I do not like the "Sux" thing either. Not because of any affinity towards the White Sox, it's just not clever. To quote Seinfeld, "It offends me as a comedian".

cards press box
07-27-2008, 10:23 AM
For the record, I do not like the "Sux" thing either. Not because of any affinity towards the White Sox, it's just not clever. To quote Seinfeld, "It offends me as a comedian".

I've read some posts at Motown Sports in the past and the "Sux" riff appears to be a new phenomenon. I agree that it is lame. When did it start?

Another question: what is with the Waffle House references to the White Sox in the opening of the game threads? That is also quite lame and, I might add, a wildly inaccurate stereotype.

AnkleSox
07-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I've read some posts at Motown Sports in the past and the "Sux" riff appears to be a new phenomenon. I agree that it is lame. When did it start?

Another question: what is with the Waffle House references to the White Sox in the opening of the game threads? That is also quite lame and, I might add, a wildly inaccurate stereotype.

Hah, I don't get it either. It's funny how "tigerfanfromchicago" posts a picture of DETROIT trying to make it look like a pretty city, and doesn't even post a picture of Chicago, just an inaccurate stereotype picture of Cletus and a Waffle House? I don't think I've ever seen a waffle house near the city limits of Chicago. He must be from Naperville or something. What a turd.

Oblong
07-27-2008, 02:40 PM

There was a thread in the non sports forum about a couple of waffle house workers who got married at a waffle house. So I guess with the Sox series coming up... wasn't me :wink:

SoxandtheCityTee
07-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Hah, I don't get it either. It's funny how "tigerfanfromchicago" posts a picture of DETROIT trying to make it look like a pretty city, and doesn't even post a picture of Chicago, just an inaccurate stereotype picture of Cletus and a Waffle House?

As Mike said, keep on hating, Detroit fans.

chisoxmike
07-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Hah, I don't get it either. It's funny how "tigerfanfromchicago" posts a picture of DETROIT trying to make it look like a pretty city, and doesn't even post a picture of Chicago, just an inaccurate stereotype picture of Cletus and a Waffle House? I don't think I've ever seen a waffle house near the city limits of Chicago. He must be from Naperville or something. What a turd.

Chicago >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Detroit/Michigan

DSpivack
07-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Chicago >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Detroit/Michigan

Chicago certainly is one of America's great cities, but any city>Detroit.

chisoxmike
07-27-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm not making fun of the Tigers. They're not dead yet, but its funny when I read on there that everybody thinks the Sox are a bad team and they think our pitching staff blows.

Yes, the Sox have issues and they haven't been pitching well the past few weeks, I'm starting to get concerned with all the runs they've been giving up. But calling the Sox a bad team is pretty stupid.

palehozenychicty
07-28-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm not making fun of the Tigers. They're not dead yet, but its funny when I read on there that everybody thinks the Sox are a bad team and they think our pitching staff blows.

Yes, the Sox have issues and they haven't been pitching well the past few weeks, I'm starting to get concerned with all the runs they've been giving up. But calling the Sox a bad team is pretty stupid.

They're just hating. I'm sure they would take Vazquez and/or Contreras over Nate Robertson, and neither of them are that good.

PatK
07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
I love people from the Detroit area.

They all claim how awesome the "D" is, yet none of them actually live in the city limits.

Oblong
07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Who makes that claim?

People might say that about the state but that's due to a lot of other things, none of which the city itself really offers. Lakes, golf courses, fishing, hunting, etc.

AnkleSox
07-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I love people from the Detroit area.

They all claim how awesome the "D" is, yet none of them actually live in the city limits.

I think a lot of people think it makes them sound tough because they're from such a high crime/terrible area (which the city itself actually is). Really though, most of these people are probably trust fund babies from West Bloomfield.