PDA

View Full Version : Best announcer

MarqSox
05-09-2002, 06:59 PM
I'm partial to Roons.

ode to veeck
05-09-2002, 07:12 PM
so far its a shut out, but they didn't list my favorites over at SNR!

Cheryl
05-09-2002, 07:22 PM
What about Dave Wills?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-09-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
What about Dave Wills?

Wills is a favorite, too. However, he only got to do that one game in Seattle, and he was a bit too hyperactive for my taste. :smile:

Wills does a great job on the post-game show. Did you hear him shoot down the Flubs fan today? Then some other guy calls and starts whining about how he's a "Chicago" fan, and the guys at WGN never talk bad about the Sox, so finally Wills tells him, "Good for them. Look, I'm a Sox Fan! I would rather Montreal, or the Mets win the World Series than the Cubs."

I was *****! It was another great moment in Sox Fandom!!!

:wills
"I was poking fun of the Cubs losing today, even though Sammy hit a homer. That's what pissed off the Flubbie fans."

cheeses_h_rice
05-09-2002, 08:29 PM
I tuned into AM1000 as soon as I got in my car after my El ride, and I caught the end of Wills' show. I heard him say, "The Cubs lose big to the Milwaukee Brewers, but Sammy Sosa homered. Yes, the Cubs lose again, and Sammy Sosa hit a home run." I think he was really sticking it in Cubs fans' craws, implying what many of us say here about Sammy Sosa and his place on the Cubs -- how many times have those 2 events happened together? It's like Wills is saying, "Enjoy your loss and your meaningless Sammy Sosa home run, Cub fans."

MarqSox
05-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I tuned into AM1000 as soon as I got in my car after my El ride, and I caught the end of Wills' show. I heard him say, "The Cubs lose big to the Milwaukee Brewers, but Sammy Sosa homered. Yes, the Cubs lose again, and Sammy Sosa hit a home run." I think he was really sticking it in Cubs fans' craws, implying what many of us say here about Sammy Sosa and his place on the Cubs -- how many times have those 2 events happened together? It's like Wills is saying, "Enjoy your loss and your meaningless Sammy Sosa home run, Cub fans."

I looked it up. This year, 60% of Sammy's homers come in Cub losses, and the Cubs are 5-8 (.385) when he goes yard. Shows his importance, eh?

Daver
05-09-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I'm partial to Roons.

All I have to say is Guido!

FarWestChicago
05-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by daver

All I have to say is Guido! Guido!! Guido!! Guido!! :gulp: :gulp:

voodoochile
05-09-2002, 10:24 PM
Felt sorry for DJ...

MattSharp
05-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Rooney just gets so excited and so into it, I had to vote for him.....

voodoochile
05-09-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Rooney just gets so excited and so into it, I had to vote for him.....

It's funny you mention that. There are times when I am trying to follow the game on the radio when I can immediately tell who is winning or losing - not because I hear the score, but because the excitement or lack thereof is so evident in Rooney's voice. He starts talking faster and really gets into a rhythm that matches the rhythm of the game...

Cheryl
05-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Neil Conen (Conan? Connen?) took a year off his duties at NPR to be the announcer for the minor league team Cal Ripken put together last year. Naturally, he's written a book about his experience called "Play by Play." I haven't read the book yet, but I heard an interview with him the other day talking about his season. Now this is a guy who has done live, call in radio for years and years, and he said this was the most difficult job he's ever had. Course, it was the minors, so he was the only guy in the broadcast booth, but still, to hear him describe how difficult a job it is, (and to hear some of his pbp, which they played) it makes me appreciate the guys like Rooney who do it well that much more.

cheeses_h_rice
05-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

It's funny you mention that. There are times when I am trying to follow the game on the radio when I can immediately tell who is winning or losing - not because I hear the score, but because the excitement or lack thereof is so evident in Rooney's voice. He starts talking faster and really gets into a rhythm that matches the rhythm of the game...

Heh. Same thing with :santo

"Aw geeeeez."

"Oh nooooooo!!!!"

MattSharp
05-09-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Exactly, thats why I love him....

RedPinStripes
05-09-2002, 11:47 PM
Sox-and-Roll RULES!

GoBraves!
05-10-2002, 12:18 AM
You guys forgot the best announcer in the Major Leagues! Skip Carray!

:D

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by GoBraves!

Not a sox fan, but a cub hater..........Close enough.

Welcome! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

FarWestChicago
05-10-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Not a sox fan, but a cub hater..........Close enough.

Welcome! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: He's the web host. Be nice. We don't want the site to disappear. :)

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
He's the web host. Be nice. We don't want the site to disappear. :)

I said welcome and gave him 3 dark brews. :D:

GASHWOUND
05-10-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by GoBraves!

On my fav announcer, I have to say Rooney, with DJ coming in second for me. I find Farmer's voice annoying and reminds me of two other guys voices that i can compare to farmer(and I find annoying) He's like a cross between Skip Carey and Seinfeld which is a bad combo. But I don't now if its just me, but sometimes I mistake Rooney for Farmer for a sec. Its like he slips in and out of doing a "farmer impression" or something. :cool:

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 12:54 AM
:farmer
"catch my next act as i immitate my lover SamME!"

GASHWOUND
05-10-2002, 01:05 AM
While I was posting on the other thread i change my mind on my fav announcer. On the list given I would go what i said before, but I'm adding Wills as my fav..in front of Rooney and DJ.

:wills

:rooney

:DJ

:hawk
:angry:

VeeckAsInWreck
05-10-2002, 01:27 AM
I picked Hawk because I guess I grew up listening to him! but lately I haven't been able to watch games on TV. I do have to say that I enjoy Rooney, but Farmer can be annoying a lot of the time! Dave Wills is freakin' awesome he ROCKS! I love listening to the post-game show! win or lose he always lets the sCrUB fans have it! :smile:

FarmerAndy
05-10-2002, 12:06 PM
Anybody remember this one from last year? Cracked me up.

:rooney

The Indians have a Manuel in their dugout.
The White Sox have a Manuel in their dugout.

The Indians have an Alomar in their dugout.
The White Sox have and Alomar in their dugout.

:farmer

The Indians have a water fountain in their dugout.
The White Sox have a water fountain in their dugout.