PDA

View Full Version : OC for Roberts?

balz1472
07-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Just read this on www.mlbtraderumors.com (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/)

"The White Sox explored a scenario where they would've acquired Brian Robertsfrom Baltimore, traded Orlando Cabrerato the Dodgers, and moved Alexei Ramirezto shortstop. That obviously didn't work out. The Sox may be currently trying to decide (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1067436,CST-SPT-sox22.article) whether to part with third baseman Josh Fields, their best trade chip and third baseman of the future."It is in reference to an article in the Sun Times.

hi im skot
07-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Eh...I'm glad it fell through. Cabrera has been a bright spot over the past couple months.

TomBradley72
07-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Not bummed it didn't happen...but I would have been in favor of this move. Roberts is a true lead off hitter, OC is returning to earth now, hitting in the .260's...and he'll be gone in after the season any way. Roberts is hitting .287/.369 OBP with 27 steals.

UofCSoxFan
07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
This is one of those deals where it is brilliant if it works but it really could blow up. Alexei has looked pretty good in the limited time he's had a SS, but I'm not sure I'm willing to throw him into the most important, most physically demanding defensive position in baseball. I know he's played in Cuba it is suppossedly his best position, but he's played a whole year at 2nd and is used to that throw now and he still has played a full major league season so wearing down is a concern. I would be more comfortable having him make the descision in the offseason vs. the middle of a pennant race.

And Cabrera will end the year around .280, like he does every year. He's in a slump right now. It happens.

ondafarm
07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
I'd want to lock up Joe Crede BEFORE making any such trade. Yes, I'd love the trade, Cabrera will be leaving and Roberts would be an authentic lead-off hitter.

As to Fields, while I'd love his power, which I believe would be higher production than Crede, I'll take Crede's defense any day. Alas, Crede's back also enters into it.

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I'd want to lock up Joe Crede BEFORE making any such trade.

I assume you say that because you don't want to trade away Fields and then lose Crede to FA. But what if the deal with the Dodgers included getting back that LaRoche kid, and then packaging Fields with some more prospects for Roberts. LaRoche has not done that well in his major league time, but he is still young and was highly regarded. It's niether here nor there now, since apparently whatever the deal was didn't work out, but my point is that there are other young third basemen out there that might be gotten in return for some of what we have. Crede and Fields are not our only options, they are just our easiest solutions.

ondafarm
07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I assume you say that because you don't want to trade away Fields and then lose Crede to FA. But what if the deal with the Dodgers included getting back that LaRoche kid, and then packaging Fields with some more prospects for Roberts. LaRoche has not done that well in his major league time, but he is still young and was highly regarded. It's niether here nor there now, since apparently whatever the deal was didn't work out, but my point is that there are other young third basemen out there that might be gotten in return for some of what we have. Crede and Fields are not our only options, they are just our easiest solutions.

Agree with your last statement. I haven't seen enough of LaRoche to hazard a guess.

Tragg
07-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Just don't trade Fields for some junk stopgap, rent, etc.
The prices paid for Wolf and Rauch weren't high - nowhere near a Fields - so maybe there's something cheap out there.

As for Roberts, we have most of our near ML ready prospects at 2B. Trade from strength - use one of those 2 in the trade, not Fields.

palehozenychicty
07-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Thank you. With some league roster mining, we could find a solid, durable third baseman. LaRoche was highly regarded, but now that DeWitt has falled back, he may return to third soon. Nevertheless, kick the tires if management has doubts about Fields, which many here seem to have.

I think that Atkins could be had in the offseason, as Ian Stewart is ready to supplant him in Colorado.

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Eh...I'm glad it fell through. Cabrera has been a bright spot over the past couple months.

Are you serious?

Getting Roberts:

-True lead off hitter
-great speed - which we don't have
-Not a FA until after 2009

All for the net price of the malcontent OC who we all know is walking after this year and quite frankly is not that good.

hi im skot
07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Are you serious?

Yep.

Our future at third base is a big question mark. I'm not saying Fields is the answer, but it's foolish to deal him and Cabrera when, frankly, our infield is in pretty good shape as it is.

the1tab
07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Any trade that makes the team better I am a huge fan of. Period.

Brian Roberts for Orlando Cabrera makes the White Sox a LOT better than they are put together today.

Throw out the steroid accusation. Look at the reality:

Cabrera is gone after '08 - Roberts is signed thru '09.
Alexei at short w/ Roberts is WAY BETTER than OC and Alexei.
Roberts can steal bases with regularity. OC can call the press box.
After a win, Brian Roberts leaves his jersey tucked into his pants until he's in the locker room.

I'm on board with the deal. I don't see it happening, though... he'll be more valuable in the trade market this winter before his walk year to a contender that needs a 2B (Cubs, Dodgers, Braves, etc)

voodoochile
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Any trade that makes the team better I am a huge fan of. Period.

Brian Roberts for Orlando Cabrera makes the White Sox a LOT better than they are put together today.

Throw out the steroid accusation. Look at the reality:

Cabrera is gone after '08 - Roberts is signed thru '09.
Alexei at short w/ Roberts is WAY BETTER than OC and Alexei.
Roberts can steal bases with regularity. OC can call the press box.
After a win, Brian Roberts leaves his jersey tucked into his pants until he's in the locker room.

I'm on board with the deal. I don't see it happening, though... he'll be more valuable in the trade market this winter before his walk year to a contender that needs a 2B (Cubs, Dodgers, Braves, etc)

Throw out the steroid accusation he says...

THROW OUT THE STEROID ACCUSATION?

:rolleyes:

They can keep him and I completely agree with Daver, 2B is the deepest position in the organization with 3 guys apparently ready for a crack (or already playing effectively) at the major league level and more on the way.

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Yep.

Our future at third base is a big question mark. I'm not saying Fields is the answer, but it's foolish to deal him and Cabrera when, frankly, our infield is in pretty good shape as it is.

Yes, but Fields would not be part of the package according to what read above.

It would be Roberts for Cabrera straight up.

LoveYourSuit
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM

They can keep him and I completely agree with Daver, 2B is the deepest position in the organization with 3 guys apparently ready for a crack (or already playing effectively) at the major league level and more on the way.

You are looking at things long term. ..... Yes 2B is very deep.

But for this year ONLY, I take Roberts over Cabrera any day of the week.

btrain929
07-23-2008, 11:59 AM

No chance in hell they give up on Laroche for a rental SS.

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, but Fields would not be part of the package according to what read above.

It would be Roberts for Cabrera straight up.

Actually it was Cabrera to the Dogers for ? Then Roberts to the Sox for ?

Not a lot of details, but I imagine if the Sox were to get Roberts from the Orioles, Fields would have to be part of that deal. Who knows what we could get for Cabrera from the Dodgers.

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2008, 12:06 PM
No chance in hell they give up on Laroche for a rental SS.

There were not a lot of details regarding the trade. Who is to say OC was the only piece we would send their way?

popilius
07-23-2008, 12:34 PM
This is one of those deals where it is brilliant if it works but it really could blow up. Alexei has looked pretty good in the limited time he's had a SS, but I'm not sure I'm willing to throw him into the most important, most physically demanding defensive position in baseball. I know he's played in Cuba it is suppossedly his best position, but he's played a whole year at 2nd and is used to that throw now and he still has played a full major league season so wearing down is a concern. I would be more comfortable having him make the descision in the offseason vs. the middle of a pennant race.

And Cabrera will end the year around .280, like he does every year. He's in a slump right now. It happens.

I agree with you about Alexei moving to short. A lot of people seem confident in that possibility, but it may not be that easy. At the Major League level, switching positions can't be done as smoothly as it can at other levels. Playing shortstop everyday is demanding, and although Alexei may have played short in Cuba, it's not the same as MLB. I'm not saying he can't do it; perhaps he can because he's so athletic and baseball-intelligent. However, I would be quite wary of switching him in mid-season if Cabrera were traded away.

The only thing I would challenge in your statement is that I believe catching, not shortstop, is most physically demanding position in baseball. I played short and third in high school and college. Once in a while I'd have soreness, or course, but I caught for a few days at practice, I could barely walk or turn. Maybe I wasn't used to it, but man I don't know how you catchers do it!

the1tab
07-23-2008, 12:42 PM

2B appears to be the ONLY position that has any depth in our organization right now. Look at our roster - outside of TCQ & Swish, who do we have that will be here to play around the kids you're referring to in 2010? Alexei? He's became a rental when the Sox drafted Beckham. Anderson?

If you're going to do something w/ the White Sox as they're constituted today, you have 2008 and MAYBE 2009 to make a run. Paulie, Thome, Dye, Crede, Buehrle, AJ... all guys that are either near a walk year or in one (Crede), near the end of their rope (Thome), or haven't done diddley in 2 years (Konerko). You're not going anywhere w/ Danny Richar right now, or any of the other prospects we all love and respect - we need a major league ready, leadoff man at second base today. That's why you move OC for Roberts in a hearbeat.

As for the caring about the steroids accusation, I am not a fan of him having been in the Mitchell Report. However, we're not talking about a guy that lost his speed game for 50 homers (Brady Anderson) or a guy that sold his soul for an MVP award (Tejada). There has been little difference in Roberts' game from the day he stepped onto a big league roster.

Play for 2008 Kenny. That's all I'm asking for.

Tragg
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
You are looking at things long term. ..... Yes 2B is very deep.

But for this year ONLY, I take Roberts over Cabrera any day of the week.
I would too- but it's Cabrera this year plus 2 draft choices for Roberts.
We have good 2b....I vote no.

gr8mexico
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
The Sox should go for it now and make a run for Roberts. From the start you can tell OC doesnt like being here. So trade him back to the West Coast where he was happy.

WhiteSox5187
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
I like OC and I'd hate to have to trade him but Roberts would really help this team. I'm wondering though if Crede is out for awhile could Alexei play third? I know he has no experience of that, but he certainly has the arm for it...that way you could potentially keep OC at short, have Roberts and second and Alexei at third...that might be childish though. I'd be comfortable though with a double play tandem of Alexei and Roberts.