PDA

View Full Version : Astros acquire Wolf

Sockinchisox
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
For a minor league pitcher.

Are they delusional or what?

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/padres/2008/jul/22/padres-send-wolf-astros/

Rockabilly
07-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Wolf sucks

cws05champ
07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Didn't cost them too much. A reliever type pitcher in the Chad Qualls mold. Throws hard, fastball/ slider guy but has been inconsistent in AAA.

getonbckthr
07-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Bad move for both teams. Houston isn't going anywhere and the Padres could have probably gotten more in a week.

palehozenychicty
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Bad move for both teams. Houston isn't going anywhere and the Padres could have probably gotten more in a week.

Seriously. These are some delusional executives. Both of their rosters are wretched.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/ffb25194ed9a3dad459134f50adacbef713b822.jpg

Foulke You
07-22-2008, 04:10 PM
The Astros should have addressed their starting pitching problems in the offseason and not after they've dug themselves a huge hole in the division.

DumpJerry
07-22-2008, 04:34 PM
They got Timberwolf?

:bandance:

turners56
07-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Wow...the Astros aren't even in contention and they go out and get a failure like Randy Wolf? Ed Wade is an idiot.

Brian26
07-22-2008, 05:29 PM
For a minor league pitcher.

Are they delusional or what?

I've got no problems with this trade if it helps make the NL Central a bit more competitive.

That's not a stab at the 1st place team over there either. I'd just like to see a team other than the Brewers try to contend. I don't envision St. Louis lasting much longer, and the annual Pirates fire-sale should begin any day now.

kraut83
07-23-2008, 08:49 AM
The Astros are about 2 decent starters away from contending next year. Randy Wolf is not one of those.

Ed Wade is an idiot.

Tragg
07-23-2008, 10:37 AM
For the rent of a mediocre pitcher? Maybe, but not much more.
He made the trade before losing 2 straight to the Pirates...just trying to keep the Astros competitive.
Ed Wade's trade for Tejada (something clammored for hereon) was idiotic...it was bad on paper and worse in reality. Just awful.
His Lidge trade was bad. But, his trade with Arizona for the closer was pretty good.

07-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Padres are having a yard sale. Pretty much nothing but junk is available and they will take anything they can get for it.

the1tab
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Perhaps the Padres looked a few hours north in Oakland and saw Billy Beane unloading all the players he couldn't afford to keep on a team that would never win a ring for an entirely new, competitive minor league system and are moving in the same direction. Randy Wolf has decent stuff, he just falls into the Carlos Zambrano "Mental Midget" category. The Padres getting more depth in their farm means more to that franchise than anyone other than MAYBE Adrian Gonzalez and Jake Peavy. I wouldn't be shocked if Maddux, Giles and Spacoli, I mean Khalil Greene are all gone by this time next week

laxtonto
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
The Astros getting Wolf is like moving the deck chairs around on the Titanic while its sinking. It looks good out of context but in the real world it leads to a *** moment.

russ99
07-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Despite the Astros poor record, they don't have such a bad team, it's just that while their lineup is very solid, the pitching is completely awful, even Oswalt this year.

If this deal makes them a little more competitive and they can play spoiler against the Cubs, I'm all for it. Don't blame Wade, he's just making the best of a bad situation he inherited from former GM Tim Purpura.

Hopefully Wade learns from his one big mistake this year and can assemble a pitching staff a bit better than Oswalt, Moehler and 3 kids. Also, the Astros won't rebuild anytime soon. Oswalt, Berkman and Lee have full no trade clauses and they'd be complete fools to trade away Pence.

Their minor league system is worse off than the Sox, and while they could get some decent prospects for the likes of Tejada, Wigginton and Valverde, overall they'd be worse than the Royals and Pirates for 3-5 years while the farm system rebuilds. I doubt Astros fans or the owner, McLane want anything to do with that.