PDA

View Full Version : hawk and dj

mike squires
05-09-2002, 05:53 PM
is it just me or is hawk and dj getting harder and harder to listen too? i get the impression hawk is tired of working with him. even when we are winning hawk seems uninterested. just my opinion

MarqSox
05-09-2002, 06:42 PM
I don't get to watch the Sox on TV too much, but I had been getting that impression... I'm also getting sick as heck of listening to Ed Farmer blabber on about what college a certain guy went to or what kind of curveball he had when he was 19. I really couldn't care less. Tell me what the player's doing now, not what he did 15 years ago. :angry:

FarWestChicago
05-09-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I'm also getting sick as heck of listening to Ed Farmer blabber on about what college a certain guy went to or what kind of curveball he had when he was 19. I really couldn't care less. Tell me what the player's doing now, not what he did 15 years ago. :angry: I find Farmer's raves about Sham-ME much more annoying. :(:

FarmerAndy
05-09-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by michael penny
is it just me or is hawk and dj getting harder and harder to listen too? i get the impression hawk is tired of working with him. even when we are winning hawk seems uninterested. just my opinion

When D.J. first came on board, he wasn't very good. He's improved, but I think he has a hard time working with Hawk. I remember last year when D.J. did a couple of national T.V. broadcasts without Hawk, and he did a great job.

I think Hawk is letting the fact that he doesn't like D.J. get in the way of his performance. He's being a real dick.

Jerry_Manuel
05-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Perhaps, I just don't know what to pay attention to, but I don't see any tension or hatred for one another in the booth.

DJ is more talkative this season and seems to be doing more pbp, which isn't so bad.

ode to veeck
05-09-2002, 07:35 PM

That's my beef with the Hawk since he was broght on board --I've always thought he was disinterested --can't stand him

PaleHoseGeorge
05-09-2002, 07:58 PM
I listen to Rooney & Farmer because they give me 10-times as much information about the game than Hawk & DJ. But I do agree, Farmer can be insufferable. Talking about his golf game is one way he kills time in the booth, and it always drives me nuts.

It still beats listening to Hawk spend 3 hours stroking his ego, while DJ cowers in the corner.

:DJ
"Yeah, umm... sure, Hawk... anything you say."

chisoxfanatic
05-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Well, there are times of which you can get TOTALLY BIASED Sox broadcasting on Sox and Roll! These guys are completely hillarious! Check www.sox-and-roll.com for their broadcast schedule.

Heather the Redbird

KruseControl04
05-09-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

That's my beef with the Hawk since he was broght on board --I've always thought he was disinterested --can't stand him

How can you guys not like Hawk?!? The only time he seems "disinterested" is when the Sox are sucking, and even I'm disinterested then. I have noticed a little tension from time to time between Hawk and DJ, but I guess that's what happens when you have to watch 162 ballgames sitting right next to the guy. I do like that fact that DJ is doing more pbp. I enjoy that.

BuehrleACE56
05-09-2002, 10:31 PM
I loooove Hawk. I don't know how anyone could hate the guy. Ducksnort, put it on the board, he'll grab some bench, get down....it will! Hawks lines are so great and without it, it's not the same. I do notice that when the Sox are losing or playing poorly Hawk gets real pissed off but rightfully so. The only time there is tension between the two is when DJ gets a little too crazy or if it seems as though it is not totally and completely Hawk's show. They do spend A LOT of time together so they can't get along all the time. I do get tired of hearing everything compared to a story about Hawk's playing days with Boston though. Rooney and Farmer are the ****. Good PBP, good information, and overall a great show. I only don't like when they get sidetracked and talk so much they forget about the game and a half-inning has passed.

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
Well, there are times of which you can get TOTALLY BIASED Sox broadcasting on Sox and Roll! These guys are completely hillarious! Check www.sox-and-roll.com for their broadcast schedule.

Heather the Redbird

I'm a fan.

Thanx for the props heather. You still wanna be a cheerleader? lol

34 Inch Stick
05-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Why is Steve Stone not being contacted.

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Why is Steve Stone not being contacted.
Are you serious? Do you really want to listen to his nasal whining?

Fisk72
05-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Hawk and DJ put me to sleep! I don't know, it's the sound of their voices plus the fact that they are pretty boring. Whenever I want to take a nap on a Saturday afternoon and a game is on, I just turn on the tv and fall asleep! Even my old college roommate in Pittsburgh agrees they are the wost announcers in baseball. Unfortunately, he gets WGN out there, so whenever the Sox are on, he gives me a hard time. I like to turn the tv on, turn the volume way down and turn up the radio. Rooney and Farmer are way informative and I like their voices. I remember way back when Rooney was calling games with Wayne Haggen (spelling?). I'm not sure why Wayne left, but my dad always told me it was because you couldn't tell the two apart. Any truth to this story or was my dad just pulling my leg?

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I remember way back when Rooney was calling games with Wayne Haggen (spelling?). I'm not sure why Wayne left, but my dad always told me it was because you couldn't tell the two apart. Any truth to this story or was my dad just pulling my leg?
I don't know if that was the actual reason, but their voices were just about identical, and I think they knew it because their exchanges often went like: "Well, John Rooney, it's a beautiful day for a ballgame." "That's right, Wayne Hagen, it certainly is." "So, John Rooney, why don't you give us the starting lineups?" "Why, I'd be happy to, Wayne Hagen."

cheeses_h_rice
05-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Stone's voice is grating, and in fact, when he first came up with the Flubbies, I used to prefer Harry Caray much more. This opinion changed over the years, as I began to realize how well Stone knew the game, and could provide insight (or even foresight) into the game's events.

Stone would need to be counterbalanced, though, with someone with a gruffer, "manlier" presence. I couldn't imagine listening to a game with him and, say, Josh Lewin; I'd feel the need to wash myself with sandpaper afterward.

baggio202
05-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

evenhough he worked for the enemy..steve stone is about as good as they come....it had to be almost impossible being post stroke harry carey's side kick...

after his stroke harry's play by play went something like this..with the bases loaded and hit in the gap harry would be "..and that ball is...err..ummm the runners ..ummm..and ....SAFE"!!!....

stone had alot of mopping up to do and always did it in a way that never showed harry up..that took class and skill...if stone wanted to do sox games we should sign him up yesterday

pudge
05-10-2002, 05:02 PM
man, if you guys had to suffer through the seattle broadcasters like i do, you'd love Hawk and DJ. They aren't cheesy and cliche, they are real - sometimes DJ kisses too much butt, whatever. I really think Hawk is unique, love him or hate him, and for that, I'd MUCH rather listen to him. Thank god we don't have Chip, that's for sure.

MarqSox
05-10-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

evenhough he worked for the enemy..steve stone is about as good as they come

Oh man I hope you're kidding ... Stone was boring to listen to, had Joe Morgan Syndrome (thought he knew everything there is to know about the game) and he rarely ever provided any real insight. And, well, he's incredibly boring.