PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Holtzman RIP

dickallen15
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
He died today. One of the best baseball writers of his time. He "invented" the save I believe.

turners56
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I think he did the into in one of my 05 World Series books put out there by the Tribune.

KenBerryGrab
07-21-2008, 02:27 PM
I met him on a couple of occasions, and he was a very gracious man. He had time for anyone who wanted to talk baseball, and he treated even a very green kid reporter (ahem) with respect.

A true class act. RIP, sir!

KyWhiSoxFan
07-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I grew up reading Holtzman's stuff. He was great, though my favorite baseball writer then was Dave Nightengale.

But Holtzman knew the game and the players and was great to read. He was a true Hall of Fame writer.

ondafarm
07-21-2008, 02:38 PM
RIP sir.

Loved reading his stuff.

WhiteSox5187
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
RIP. What a shame, but he lead a long productive life. He wrote the intro to the Tribune's book about the '05 Sox. He was one of the few reporters to have covered every Sox great from Ted Lyons to Mark Buerhle.

wulfy
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Hall of Famer:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080721-jerome-holtzman-death,0,3762261.story

Law11
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Talk about a baseball historian...
Met him briefly at the 83 All-Star game.
Just a good guy.
:rip:

JUribe1989
07-21-2008, 03:33 PM
An absolutely brilliant baseball writer, one of the best of all-time. He probably was the best. This is a major bummer. :whiner:

TornLabrum
07-21-2008, 03:41 PM
He was a great sportswriter, one of the best Chicago has ever had.

TomBradley72
07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I remember the first time I had the chance to read Holtzman's stuff...all other Chicago baseball writers moved to the AAA level...Jerome defined "big league" in my opinion.

Lip Man 1
07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Condolences to the family of Jerome Holtzman.

A great sportswriter, baseball fan and a friend of the White Sox, back when Chicago had a Hall of Fame roster full of them...guys like Dick Dozier, John Carmichael, Brent Musberger, Wendell Smith and Warren Brown.

We will never see his like or an assembly of talent like that ever again.

Lip

jackbrohamer
07-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting him about a year ago, and in addition to what you say, he was also an exceedingly nice man. Needless to say, he had an encyclopaedic knowledge of baseball history.

LITTLE NELL
07-21-2008, 05:16 PM

A great sportswriter, baseball fan and a friend of the White Sox, back when Chicago had a Hall of Fame roster full of them...guys like Dick Dozier, John Carmichael, Brent Musberger, Wendell Smith and Warren Brown.

Lip
I echo your statement, he will be missed. Id like to add Dave Condon and Edgar Munzel to your list. Condon wrote In The Wake Of The News for years but was also a great Sox fan

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Chicago had a Hall of Fame roster full of them...guys like Dick Dozier, John Carmichael, Brent Musberger, Wendell Smith and Warren Brown.

It makes me wish I were slightly older than 46.
I would have loved to have been a Sox fan when actual
journalists covered the team and did so in an impartial manner.

Lip Man 1
07-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Nell:

Good point. Both Condon and Munzel were also excellent.

It was truly a Golden Age for baseball coverage in Chicago at least by those who did the reporting.

Lip

Medford Bobby
07-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Jerome did a full article on my Dad in The Sun-Times back in October 1979. My Dad was pushing an idea of the fans "buying" the White Sox sorta like the Green Bay Packers have been, with ownership shares sold to fans. I recall my Dad took out a little ad in the Sun-Times sports section to try to get fans together and "buy" the White Sox from Bill Veeck. I still have the article.

Thanks Jerome! R.I.P.

TommyJohn
07-21-2008, 07:59 PM

Lip

What? Are you saying that Greg Couch, Jay Mariotti, Carol Slezak and Paul Sullivan don't measure up to them?

TDog
07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Wendell Smith was in a league of his own because his contributions exceed the world of sports. But Jerome Holtzman was in the next tier. Some people believe the save rule wasn't good for baseball, but, of course, the rule isn't the problem. Every time I see a catcher charged with an error for making a perfect throw to second base with no one covering, I am reminded of Holtzman lobbying for a "team error" rule.

What I most remember is Jerome Holtzman in 1970 saying the White Sox would win the World Series before the Cubs. It was more a slam on the choking Cubs than a prediction of greatness from the White Sox -- many of the players who led the White Sox to the World Series title in '05 weren't born yet, but he turned out to be right.

areilly
07-21-2008, 09:45 PM
He was the first sportswriter I recognized by name and whose pieces I actually looked forward to reading in the paper. It's sad to see him go, but at least he led a life worthy of his talents.

tebman
07-22-2008, 09:18 AM
He was the first sportswriter I recognized by name and whose pieces I actually looked forward to reading in the paper. It's sad to see him go, but at least he led a life worthy of his talents.

I was thinking the same thing. Whenever I think of baseball writers, the first one I think of is Jerome Holtzman. I was reading his Sun-Times baseball stories when I was a kid nearly 50 years ago and kept reading them wherever they were printed until he retired. He explained to game to me then and gave me insight on it later.

Thanks, Mr. Holtzman.

hose
07-22-2008, 09:39 AM

Lip

You nailed it Lip.

RIP Jerome

Steelrod
07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
A classy guy and an outstanding scribe. Will truly miss him!

jackbrohamer
07-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I saw an interview with him several years back, and when asked about a certain Chicago sports columnist (whose name doesn't deserve to be mentioned) all that he would say was "he's a nasty guy," nothing more. Truly a class act.

Fenway
07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I first met Jerome in 1983. A friend of mine from Evanston came to Boston to see the White Sox play at Fenway and knew Jerry because he drove for Norshore Cab and Holtzman would request him.

After the game we met him and Jerry wanted fried clams. So we pile into my car and headed for Kelly's at Revere Beach a few miles north of the city. We sat on a park bench overlooking the ocean eating clams until 3 AM and Holtzman loved the Maxwell St atmosphere that Kelly's offered.

I drove him back to the Sheraton and he asked if I could take him to some used book stores in the city later that morning. I took him to the Brattle Book Shop and he was in heaven. He actually found a first edition of a book he had written that he had autographed and said he never had a first edition of that book.

After the game that night more clams. He was so excited about the 83 White Sox and nobody loved old Comiskey more than he.

RIP Jerome.

Adele_H
07-23-2008, 03:44 AM
Never having had the pleasure to meet the esteemed Mr. Holtzman as his career was obviously before my time, and having discovered him not that long ago through NCITPB and other seminal works he produced...

One can only shake one's head at what passes for "sports journalism" these days, both at the Cubune and RedEye-Times. Mercy!

(Same as with George Carlin and stand-up), Jerome Holtzman will be badly missed by those who truly understand & love this unique game.

RIP