PDA

View Full Version : Throw Back Uniforms

Big Lar
07-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I am sick of Brooks Boyer shoving throw backs down our throats. If you ask the players I'm sure they will tell you they hate wearing them. It seems like whenever we wear ridiculous looking uniforms (think July 4) we play badly. Brooks..the fans don't want to see these. It's not a fashion show it's a ball game. It's a baseball team. Let's reinforce our own uniforms and get back to the business of winning games.

Also..personal to Chi Sox Fanatic: HOW could you attend a Black Hawks Convention on Friday and miss our only win of the second half?

Craig Grebeck
07-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh, please. The fans want them. They're part of the team's history. Get over it.

Mr.1Dog
07-21-2008, 01:27 PM
:scratch::rolleyes: Not to bring up 2005, but AJ did hit a walkoff while wearing the 59 uniforms against the Dodgers.

#1swisher
07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
so, does anyone know/have the stats on

promo jerseys vs auth. home jerseys?

oeo
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I am sick of Brooks Boyer shoving throw backs down our throats. If you ask the players I'm sure they will tell you they hate wearing them. It seems like whenever we wear ridiculous looking uniforms (think July 4) we play badly. Brooks..the fans don't want to see these. It's not a fashion show it's a ball game. It's a baseball team. Let's reinforce our own uniforms and get back to the business of winning games.

Uniforms change the outcome of the games?

I did not know that, thanks for the enlightenment.

CHIsoxNation
07-21-2008, 01:30 PM
I dig them as long as they serve a purpose and it's not just because they got bored one day and decided to throw them on. I believe they wore them yesterday in honor or Baines, which I thought was pretty cool.

#1swisher
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Uniforms change the outcome of the games?

I did not know that, thanks for the enlightenment.

or beards:tongue:

Woofer
07-21-2008, 01:37 PM
I thought yesterdays uniforms looked pretty cool, and these were probably my least favorite Sox unis ever. Baines, Guillen and Walker all looked years younger in theirs, and I thought AJ looked alot like Fisk in his. I would rather have seem them win yesterday, but at least they looked good.

SOXPHILE
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM

Also..personal to Chi Sox Fanatic: HOW could you attend a Black Hawks Convention on Friday and miss our only win of the second half?

Brooks Boyer "shoving throw backs down our throats" ?

http://www.popphoto.com/assets/image/2006/Q2/626200612382.jpg (javascript:standardgallerypop(160,1))"WAAAAAAAAAAAA !!"

kittle42
07-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Now THIS is what we're complaining about? Jesus Christ.

downstairs
07-21-2008, 01:51 PM
How the heck does someone get so worked up by a one-game promotion? Settle down.

They can wear togas for all I care, as long as they win.

CashMan
07-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Now THIS is what we're complaining about? Jesus Christ.

No, what we need to be complaining about is the limited flavors of Churros! If the Sox sold another flavor of them, I think the Sox would win more games!

sox1970
07-21-2008, 01:55 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200309060.shtml

They wore the '83 unis in 2003. They won. :shrug:

SoxGirl4Life
07-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I like 'em.

And if we're counting on lucky pants to win, we're in bigger trouble than we think :tongue:

whitesox901
07-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I really enjoyed those uniforms yesturday, second favorite behind the current

Ragator43
07-21-2008, 02:16 PM
:scratch::rolleyes: Not to bring up 2005, but AJ did hit a walkoff while wearing the 59 uniforms Against the Dodgers.
If they're against the throwbacks or any variations of the current uniform, add AJ's walkoff on 9/8/06 while wearing green pinstripes to the list.

UofCSoxFan
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I dig them as long as they serve a purpose and it's not just because they got bored one day and decided to throw them on. I believe they wore them yesterday in honor or Baines, which I thought was pretty cool.

It also is the 25th anniversary of the 1983 winning ugly team.

Boyer has consistently said we won't wear uniforms for the sake of it but for an actual purpose.

This thread is dumb.

cnw8052
07-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Same here. Those 80s uniforms are what the Sox were wearing when I was a kid. They looked even better to me yesterday than I remember them being in the 80s.

I really enjoyed those uniforms yesturday, second favorite behind the current

manders_01
07-21-2008, 02:23 PM

Speak for yourself. A lot of poster like the variety of uni's the team sports.

KnightSox
07-21-2008, 02:37 PM
If you ask the players I'm sure they will tell you they hate wearing them.If I ever meet a player, that will be the first thing I ask.

PatK
07-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Be glad they haven't worn these yet

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/10/20/sports/20veeck.7.jpg

beasly213
07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
:threadsucks

Uniforms have nothing to do with the outcome of a game just like an announcer saying a player has a no hitter going has nothing to do with the pitcher throwing or not throwing one.

hsnterprize
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Same here. Those 80s uniforms are what the Sox were wearing when I was a kid. They looked even better to me yesterday than I remember them being in the 80s.Amen to that, brother. I was 11 when the Sox clinched the American League West Division title in those uni's. It was the first Chicago-based baseball championship of any kind since the Sox won the 1959 A.L. Pennant.

I know they're not the most fashionable uniforms in baseball, but c'mon people...lighten up a bit. You surely wouldn't be upset about those uni's if the Sox won the World Series in them.

doublem23
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
At least it isn't like the NBA that has league-mandated third jersey that every team is required to wear for so many games.

I think having a 3-4 special throwback jersey days over the course of 81 home games is fine. I personally think the mid-80's S-O-X pullovers are one of the ugliest ****ing jerseys ever, but even I'll admit they looked good yesterday.

kittle42
07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Uniforms have nothing to do with the outcome of a game just like an announcer saying a player has a no hitter going has nothing to do with the pitcher throwing or not throwing one.

A HUGE thank you on both counts.

Superstitions are moronic.

Law11
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeh!! Those darn uni's made that horrible call to send the runner from third!

Damn it Brooks.. !!

doublem23
07-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeh!! Those darn uni's made that horrible call to send the runner from third!

Damn it Brooks.. !!

Pullovers make you appear faster than you really are.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/ron-burgundy-3717.jpg
It's science.

thomas35forever
07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
:threadsucks

Seconded.

Parrothead
07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Be glad they haven't worn these yet

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/10/20/sports/20veeck.7.jpg

I love those, well not the shorts part.

When are they going to wear the 2005 throwback uniforms ? :D:

Lip Man 1
07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Lar:

Brooks is NOT cramming throwback uniforms down the players throats. To wit...his interview with WSI:

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series. To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th. We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans. (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Slight hijack: Want to see something weird?

In 2008, we are further removed from 1983 (25 years) than 1983 was removed from 1959 (24 years).

:o:

fusillirob1983
07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
I thought it looked completely appropriate, especially with the Baines statue ceremony.