PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's tirade

Jim Shorts
07-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks for taking my call....

Ozzie snapped after Carrasco didn't get the job done in plunking the first batter after Dye went down. Looked to me like Ozzie wasn't upset about getting the warning, but more so that Carrasco didn't retaliate. Really reminded me of last years series with Texas.

I was surprised to see Russell being sent back down, especially after Carrasco didn' follow orders.

All that said, I've been a lurker for quite some time and am eager to talk baseball with all of you.

Tragg
07-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Ozzie snapped after Carrasco didn't get the job done in plunking the first batter after Dye went down. Looked to me like Ozzie wasn't upset about getting the warning, but more so that Carrasco didn't retaliate. Really reminded me of last years series with Texas.

If that's true, that's just ridiculous.

PatK
07-20-2008, 07:00 PM
I dunno, something tells me Carrasco would have been tossed, regardless of no warning or not. And at that point, and the way he's pitched so far, I wouldn't have wanted to see him gone.

I'm more upset that AJ was sent on that play that would have resulted in the tying run than a possible missed retaliation.

SoxGirl4Life
07-20-2008, 07:27 PM

Haven't heard about this at all.

And the Texas incident was two years ago.

Jim Shorts
07-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Haven't heard about this at all.

And the Texas incident was two years ago.

My bad, two years ago.

I found it interesting that no one mentioned it at all either. Hawk said something had to be done after Dye got plunked. Then after Carrasco missed, they very briefly showed Ozzie throwing a fit...whipping his water bottle into the corner of the dugout, and shooting lasers at Carrasco.

I watched, and didn't get to listen to Farmer and Stone. It didn't seem to be a topic on the post game either.

WhiteSox5187
07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
My bad, two years ago.

I found it interesting that no one mentioned it at all either. Hawk said something had to be done after Dye got plunked. Then after Carrasco missed, they very briefly showed Ozzie throwing a fit...whipping his water bottle into the corner of the dugout, and shooting lasers at Carrasco.

I watched, and didn't get to listen to Farmer and Stone. It didn't seem to be a topic on the post game either.
Ozzie flipped his towel after the warning and then threw his water bottle. He said (according to Lip) that he was upset at the warning because the Sox got hit six times this series and they issued the warning before we hit anyone. However, the ump gave the Sox their chance to hit someone, but our guy missed. He probably should have tried to hit him in the numbers rather than what appeared to be around the knee.

NSFWSoxFan
07-20-2008, 10:15 PM
I don't understand why Danks wasn't sent back out just to take care of business and get tossed, then bring in Carrasco as planned. Instead of having to wait for the usual situation of two outs and no one on for payback, Danks could have started the inning purposefully throwing inside until he made good contact, preferably on one of the first batter's leg bones. I would think when Ozzie or Cooper told him he was done for the game, Danks would have volunteered for that duty after 5 or 6 Sox players had been plunked in this series.

tebman
07-21-2008, 08:09 AM

All that said, I've been a lurker for quite some time and am eager to talk baseball with all of you.

Don't know about the non-plunking, but Ozzie's response wouldn't surprise me.

In any case,

:welcome:

Ragator43
07-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I don't understand why Danks wasn't sent back out just to take care of business and get tossed, then bring in Carrasco as planned. Instead of having to wait for the usual situation of two outs and no one on for payback, Danks could have started the inning purposefully throwing inside until he made good contact, preferably on one of the first batter's leg bones. I would think when Ozzie or Cooper told him he was done for the game, Danks would have volunteered for that duty after 5 or 6 Sox players had been plunked in this series.

Carrasco threw the first pitch of his outing down and in and was warned. To think that an ump is going to let a pitcher constantly throw inside until he gets his 'makes good contact' is rediculous. Sending Danks back out for the sole purpose of revenge is a dumb idea and would never happen. Danks gets his by tagging the first batter he sees, promptly gets tossed and more than likely suspended by the league.

BainesHOF
07-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Leaving Danks in to plunk a hitter would have been an excellent idea. He wouldn't have been suspended.

CashMan
07-21-2008, 09:01 AM
promptly gets tossed and more than likely suspended by the league.

You mean, a 5 game so that he pitches on the 6th day rather than the 5th day?

Ragator43
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
5 games would be the best case scenario if the retaliation was the end of it.

havelj
07-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Can we stop using the term "tirade" every time our manager gets upset? The media uses it incorrectly.

TIRADE
a prolonged outburst of bitter, outspoken denunciation
a long, vehement speech

UofCSoxFan
07-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Carrasco threw the first pitch of his outing down and in and was warned. To think that an ump is going to let a pitcher constantly throw inside until he gets his 'makes good contact' is rediculous. Sending Danks back out for the sole purpose of revenge is a dumb idea and would never happen. Danks gets his by tagging the first batter he sees, promptly gets tossed and more than likely suspended by the league.

Very good post. I also add that if the Royals player charges the mound I rather have Carrasco taking/throwing some punches than my 23 year old number 3 starter.

They way I read Guillen's frustration was as follows: he was pissed that Carrasco missed when he had a chance. The umpire then removed that chance and the total was 5 of our guys hit...including Dye and TCQ, or two best hitters...while they had 1 brush back. That isn't right. Our pitchers need to protect our hitters.

It will be interesting if CJ Wilson gets in this coming series. If he hits someone, I think we will be fighting.

I never think a brawl and getting guys suspended is good for a team, especially a team that already seems close. Still, there is a threshold where you can't just continually get the crap beat out of you too.

Jim Shorts
07-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Can we stop using the term "tirade" every time our manager gets upset? The media uses it incorrectly.

TIRADE
a prolonged outburst of bitter, outspoken denunciation
a long, vehement speech

I thought tirade was more appropriate sounding than temper-tantrum, which isactually what it was.

Thanks Mirriam Webster!

SoxGirl4Life
07-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Very good post. I also add that if the Royals player charges the mound I rather have Carrasco taking/throwing some punches than my 23 year old number 3 starter.

They way I read Guillen's frustration was as follows: he was pissed that Carrasco missed when he had a chance. The umpire then removed that chance and the total was 5 of our guys hit...including Dye and TCQ, or two best hitters...while they had 1 brush back. That isn't right. Our pitchers need to protect our hitters.

It will be interesting if CJ Wilson gets in this coming series. If he hits someone, I think we will be fighting.

I never think a brawl and getting guys suspended is good for a team, especially a team that already seems close. Still, there is a threshold where you can't just continually get the crap beat out of you too.

Yeah.. the regularity with which our guys got hit was alarming in this series. And it also seemed to be a little retaliation for who actually beat the Royals in other games: Quentin, Dye, Konerko

And lets not forget that little sports radio show from KC before our first series with them when the host advocated that Greinke hit AJ, which he laughed off and said he'd do his best.

And Ozzie has the bad rep? Please.

Jim Shorts
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah.. the regularity with which our guys got hit was alarming in this series. And it also seemed to be a little retaliation for who actually beat the Royals in other games: Quentin, Dye, Konerko

And lets not forget that little sports radio show from KC before our first series with them when the host advocated that Greinke hit AJ, which he laughed off and said he'd do his best.

And Ozzie has the bad rep? Please.

KC has a total and complete inferiority complex with both StL and Chicago. It's sad really.