PDA

View Full Version : If Dye is seriously hurt...

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Whats available?
In-House= Fields in LF, Platoon of Anderson/Wise, Uribe (Alexei in CF), Owens
F/A= Lofton, Bonds
Trades=
Seattle- Ibanez
Texas- Marlon Byrd, Bradley
Oakland- Emil Brown
Baltimore- PAyton, Roberts (Alexei in CF)
Toronto- Wilkerson, Scutaro
Atlanta- Franceur
Brewers- Weeks, Durham
Pirates- Nady, Bay
Reds- Griffey, Dunn, Patterson,
Giants- Winn
Padres - Giles
Colorado- Holliday, Tavares, Podsednik

WhiteSox5187
07-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I think you stay in house and hope that Paulie picks up his game...

Madvora
07-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I think the whole Fields in the outfield thing is done. We won't ever hear about that again.
If he's out for an extended period, I don't see the Sox doing anything about it.

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
I think the whole Fields in the outfield thing is done. We won't ever hear about that again.
If he's out for an extended period, I don't see the Sox doing anything about it.
Fields- I wonder if an emergency situation would change Kenny and Ozzie's mind?
If they don't do anything about it or at least try that would be upsetting.

Madvora
07-20-2008, 03:19 PM
They will do nothing. Everything will be in house. I don't feel like KW wants to make any moves this year, even in a situation like this.

btrain929
07-20-2008, 03:43 PM
They said it's just a bruise. From the replay, I didn't think it'd be that serious since it got the inside part of the knee, not the actual outer part of the kneecap. It'll be swollen. He'll ice it for a few days, and should avoid a DL stint.

MISoxfan
07-20-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm sure we'll just see an outfield of Swisher, Anderson, Quentin.

Daver
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Panic much?

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Panic much?
:yup:

Tragg
07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Most of the players on that list are no better if not worse than our own alternatives.
And we sure wouldn't trade for a 2b with Richar and Getz pretty much our best AAA position prospects right now.
Durham, Podsednik, Wynn? Things aren't that bad.

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Most of the players on that list are no better if not worse than our own alternatives.
And we sure wouldn't trade for a 2b with Richar and Getz pretty much our best AAA position prospects right now.
Durham, Podsednik, Wynn? Things aren't that bad.
Roberts wouldn't be bad as a leadof/2nd basemen with Ramirez bounced to CF. However since it appears JD is good its a moot point.

Tragg
07-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Roberts wouldn't be bad as a leadof/2nd basemen with Ramirez bounced to CF. However since it appears JD is good its a moot point.
He'd be good. And we'd trade our 4 best prospects to get him. No thanks.

SOXfnNlansing
07-20-2008, 06:01 PM
:weewillie "I can play 2nd base"

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2008, 06:59 PM
If Dye's out for an extended period, get Juan Pierre and play him in left.

Now you have a leadoff hitter, move Quentin to right, and have Swisher in CF.

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 07:10 PM

Pierre is on the DL himself.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Pierre is on the DL himself.

Well, screw that then. :(:

How about Willie Tavares?

Daver
07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Just say no to Quentin in RF.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Or what about picking some meat off the Padres' corpse? I'm thinking Brian Giles and Trevor Hoffman.

That gives the Sox a great hitter for average and a guy with years of closing experience who can be a set-up man.

Vernam
07-20-2008, 07:20 PM
:weewillie "I can play 2nd base"Hey, Willie had five RBI today for the Nats. I think it'd be worth the Sox acquiring him just so bafiarocks would come back!!!!!

If the Sox were going to try Fields in LF this year, it would've happened by now.

Vernam

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Just say no to Quentin in RF.

Is he that bad of a defender? Isn't his arm good enough to play RF?

Lip Man 1
07-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Ozzie was quoted telling the Tribune that Dye will miss Monday and "hopefully" be back in a few days. He's more upset with the Royals hitting six guys yet the Sox are the one's who get the umpires warning.

Lip

Daver
07-20-2008, 07:39 PM

Have you seen some of the reads he gets off the bat?

Not what I would want in RF.

ondafarm
07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Quentin is adequate in left, why move him around.

If Dye can't go, my preferences are Swisher in right and Anderson or Anderson/Wise in CF.

JB98
07-20-2008, 08:52 PM

Quentin is the weakest defensive outfielder on our big-league roster. He takes a banana rout to the ball, and his arm is no better than average.

When we got him, I heard that his defense was good and his hitting was suspect. I heard wrong.

KRS1
07-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Have you seen some of the reads he gets off the bat?

Not what I would want in RF.

Ever think that could be because this is his first year as a full-time left fielder, as he has been a RF since way back when, and isn't used to the different angles, spin, travel and the like? I saw him play a good few games in Tucson as a Sidewinder and at Chase as a Dback in RF, and he was actually quite good there.

KRS1
07-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Quentin is the weakest defensive outfielder on our big-league roster. He takes a banana rout to the ball, and his arm is no better than average.

When we got him, I heard that his defense was good and his hitting was suspect. I heard wrong.

The arm, I'm going to disagree with. It's not quite what it was a few years ago, but it's definitely better than average IMO.

I don't know where you heard that second part at, but yes, it was wrong.

Daver
07-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Ever think that could be because this is his first year as a full-time left fielder, as he has been a RF since way back when, and isn't used to the different angles, spin, travel and the like? I saw him play a good few games in Tucson as a Sidewinder and at Chase as a Dback in RF, and he was actually quite good there.

No, I think he doesn't see the ball well off the bat.

KRS1
07-20-2008, 09:29 PM
No, I think he doesn't see the ball well off the bat.

I think the difference between the two positions is what is troubling him. I'm just telling you as someone who saw him plenty before he got here, every time with him in RF, he made some wonderful plays out there, and always had the easy ones in his back pocket. Even you have to admit the difference between RF and LF is like night and day.

Daver
07-20-2008, 09:36 PM
I think the difference between the two positions is what is troubling him. I'm just telling you as someone who saw him plenty before he got here, every time with him in RF, he made some wonderful plays out there, and always had the easy ones in his back pocket. Even you have to admit the difference between RF and LF is like night and day.

Watch how he reacts when the ball is hit, that moment of indecision is why he doesn't get a good read, I don't think it has anything to do with what side of the field he is on.

KRS1
07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Watch how he reacts when the ball is hit, that moment of indecision is why he doesn't get a good read, I don't think it has anything to do with what side of the field he is on.

I'm just not seeing this horrible jump your describing. It's the stuttering en route to the ball that bothers me with him.

SoxNation05
07-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Or what about picking some meat off the Padres' corpse? I'm thinking Brian Giles and Trevor Hoffman.

That gives the Sox a great hitter for average and a guy with years of closing experience who can be a set-up man.
You honestly think that the top save leader of all time and one of the best closers ever is going to leave the team he has played with his whole career to be a set up man?

ondafarm
07-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Unsteady. I have seen TCQ unsteady on his routes to balls. Certainly not great or totally natural. I haven't seen him in RF, but I'll say this, since he hasn't played right at USCF, if Dye is injured then I would prefer not shifting Quentin around. I have seen Swisher in RF at USCF, and he's solid.

DickAllen72
07-20-2008, 10:37 PM

That's a bad defensive outfield.

JB98
07-20-2008, 11:47 PM
That's a bad defensive outfield.

No kidding. Opponents take the extra base AT WILL against Juan Pierre. Konerko might be able to take extra bases on Pierre's noodle arm. It's that bad.

The only thing Pierre is good at is stealing bases. He can't hit and can't field. And he makes $9 million a year. If all we want is basestealing, might as well play DeWayne Wise. He's already on our roster, and he comes cheap.

Pierre, Swisher and Quentin might actually be a worse defensive outfield than Lee, Everett and Ordonez.

TDog
07-21-2008, 12:05 AM
If they don't do anything about it or at least try that would be upsetting.

Fields can't hit very well and he can't play any defensive position very well. An injury to Dye wouldn't change that.

Nellie_Fox
07-21-2008, 01:18 AM
If they don't do anything about it or at least try that would be upsetting.Why in the world would you want to put Fields in the outfield when you have both Anderson and Wise available for center and you can move Swisher to right? Makes no sense at all.

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2008, 07:35 AM
You honestly think that the top save leader of all time and one of the best closers ever is going to leave the team he has played with his whole career to be a set up man?

There's no telling what he might accept for an opportunity to compete for a World Series ring.

The Immigrant
07-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Cowley says Dye will be back tomorrow.

...and if I have to read another cockamamie trade proposal involving Juan Pierre, I will seriously lose my mind.

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I will seriously lose my mind.

I'll check the lost and found. :tongue:

JB98
07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Cowley says Dye will be back tomorrow.

...and if I have to read another cockamamie trade proposal involving Juan Pierre, I will seriously lose my mind.

I look forward to the day Juan Pierre submits his retirement papers. I don't EVER want to see him on the Sox. I know that Ozzie likes Pierre, and I sometimes fear he'll ask KW to acquire Pierre. That would be a disaster. Pierre sucks.

UofCSoxFan
07-22-2008, 01:13 PM
This is all moot since it looks like Dye is DTD. I don't like Pierre much: he has no power, doesn't walk, and is terrible defensively. That being said, he really isn't that much different than Pods when he was here (although Pods would walk more). Is he the solution out there....no. But he isn't the worst player to put on a uniform either. The guy has had 200 hit years before.

oeo
07-22-2008, 06:07 PM
The arm, I'm going to disagree with. It's not quite what it was a few years ago, but it's definitely better than average IMO.

What happened to it, then? I thought his surgery was on his left shoulder...