PDA

View Full Version : Ray Durham a Brewer

munchman33
07-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Per the score

Brewers mean business. :D:

RKMeibalane
07-20-2008, 01:30 PM
I keep trying to think of a single moment that defined Durham's time with the Sox, and all I can think of is his being named to the 1998 All Star team, and no one knowing who he was.

Madvora
07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I keep trying to think of a single moment that defined Durham's time with the Sox, and all I can think of is his being named to the 1998 All Star team, and no one knowing who he was.
Didn't Durham hit a double to win that 14 inning Cubs/Sox game at Comiskey?

EDIT - it was a single, see below.

turners56
07-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Good grief, now that offense won't depend on Rickie Weeks' .200 average to leadoff anymore.

I had also heard that a deal for Huston Street was also done via Sporting News Radio last night.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2008, 01:34 PM

He did, but what I remember most about that game was Steroid Man hitting one of his zingers, and getting booed after doing his "hop."

Madvora
07-20-2008, 01:36 PM
He did, but what I remember most about that game was Steroid Man hitting one of his zingers, and getting booed after doing his "hop."
Actually it was a single to score The Milkman
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2000/B06090CHA2000.htm

TDog
07-20-2008, 01:44 PM

EDIT - it was a single, see below.

In a game-ending situation, you don't need to run out a double, but I believe he placed the hit in a spot where he would have had a double in other situations. I was working late that night and missed it, but if memory serves, it was a shot down the line.

I was at an A's game last year where Jenks gave up two runs in the ninth to lose the game. The bases were loaded with the score tied and two out when Ellis hit a deep fly ball. From my seat, I didn't see it go off Podsednik's head, but it scored the winning run. Heading back to the BART, A's fans were talking about the game-winning double. I wasn't to say it was only a single, but I knew I was better off just walking to the train platform.

Getting rid of Durham is good news in Giants-land. Durham has been playing well of late, but fans want to go with younger players. With the Brewers in town, though, Durham could beat the Giants today.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 02:01 PM
The Brewers are easily becoming my favorite NL team right now.

Too bad Interleague doesn't put us to play them at least once every year.

I would trade one of the Cub series each year for one with them.

Tragg
07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Durham was having an excellent season for the Giants.
I can't imagine they'd get much for a 2B in a contract year....we certainly didn't last year.

Brian26
07-20-2008, 02:25 PM

The Opening Day 2000 catch at home vs. the Angels is probably the memory that sticks out most for me.

FedEx227
07-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Awww my boy Rickie :(:

tstrike2000
07-20-2008, 02:46 PM

That and I think the whole 2000 season. He was the perfect catalyst at the top of the order, in particular the first half, setting the stage for Big Hurt and Maggs.

NU Nish 13
07-20-2008, 03:57 PM
As much as I like to pretend that series never happened, my defining Ray Durham moment was his HR and first pump in Game 1 of the 2000 ALDS to tie the game.

Foulke You
07-20-2008, 05:23 PM
As much as I like to pretend that series never happened, my defining Ray Durham moment was his HR and first pump in Game 1 of the 2000 ALDS to tie the game.
That's the play I think of with Ray. If memory serves, they show that one as part of the opening video montage on the scoreboard before Sox home games. The Opening Day 2000 catch also gets an honorable mention.

Are the Brewers picking him up to be their everyday 2B? Who is getting edged out of the lineup? I don't follow the Brew Crew that closely to know.

DSpivack
07-20-2008, 05:25 PM
That's the play I think of with Ray. If memory serves, they show that one as part of the opening video montage on the scoreboard before Sox home games. The Opening Day 2000 catch also gets an honorable mention.

Are the Brewers picking him up to be their everyday 2B? Who is getting edged out of the lineup? I don't follow the Brew Crew that closely to know.

Rickie Weeks has been struggling, as he did last year.

chisoxmike
07-20-2008, 05:33 PM
And they still won't make the playoffs.

DrCrawdad
07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Durham had a successful run with the Giants after being traded by the Sox for "power-arm" and power flop, Jon Adkins (http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/adkinjo01.shtml).

SOXfnNlansing
07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
The Opening Day 2000 catch at home vs. the Angels is probably the memory that sticks out most for me.

That was the greatest play I ever saw in person. The Inaugural "Opening Night" that lasted one season:scratch:

BadBobbyJenks
07-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Awww my boy Rickie :(:

I thought this was his year to become a superstar. Maybe it is not going to happen with him.

popilius
07-20-2008, 07:20 PM

That's true for me, too. He also made similar catches throughout his career with the Sox, but perhaps not as great as that one.

:gulp:

TornLabrum
07-20-2008, 09:26 PM
That was the greatest play I ever saw in person. The Inaugural "Opening Night" that lasted one season:scratch:

That play and Iguchi's are the two best I've ever seen in person. It's my defining Ray Durham moment.

TheOldRoman
07-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Durham had a successful run with the Giants after being traded by the Sox for "power-arm" and power flop, Jon Adkins (http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/adkinjo01.shtml).The Sox traded him to the Athletics. He hit .274 in 54 games and the A's won the division. He signed with the Giants that offseason. Adkins didn't turn out, but they weren't going to resign him him anyway.

soxfanreggie
07-21-2008, 01:27 AM
I wonder what move Jim Hendry will try to make now to "one-up" the Brewers. I'm surprised the Cards haven't made a move yet. They still aren't out of things, but they do have some holes to fill. They might be sitting pat for another week or so until they figure out what they have coming back from the DL.

JB98
07-21-2008, 01:47 AM
I wonder what move Jim Hendry will try to make now to "one-up" the Brewers. I'm surprised the Cards haven't made a move yet. They still aren't out of things, but they do have some holes to fill. They might be sitting pat for another week or so until they figure out what they have coming back from the DL.

I think the Cards are counting on Carpenter and Wainwright to come back and fortify their rotation.

With Ankiel, Glaus, Ludwick and Molina all having good years, I think they have enough help for Pujols offensively.

That bullpen stinks though. The Cardinals can't count on Isringhausen and Franklin. They need relief pitching, like a lot of clubs do.

JB98
07-21-2008, 01:47 AM

I disagree. I think the Crew makes the playoffs, although it may be as a wild card.

TDog
07-21-2008, 02:12 AM

I don't know what this means. I went to the night game that was the Sox home opener in 1972.

LoveYourSuit
07-21-2008, 02:12 AM
I disagree. I think the Crew makes the playoffs, although it may be as a wild card.

Wild Card will be coming from the NL Central.

DrCrawdad
07-21-2008, 08:14 AM
The Sox traded him to the Athletics. He hit .274 in 54 games and the A's won the division. He signed with the Giants that offseason. Adkins didn't turn out, but they weren't going to resign him him anyway.

I knew that the Sox traded Ray to Oakland. IIRC there was concern that MLB was going to get rid of draft pick compensation for players leaving free agency and that's why KW only got Jon Adkins. Six years later, the Giants trade Durham and get 2 players (prospects?) in return.

My point is that Durham for Adkins was a bad trade.

TommyJohn
07-21-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't know what this means. I went to the night game that was the Sox home opener in 1972.

That was only because a player's strike cancelled the first few games of the season. Opening Night in 1972 was an accident, not a result of scheduling.

Foulke You
07-21-2008, 11:45 AM
I was also at that game and having it as a night game with fireworks was a lot of fun. I think part of the reason the Sox did a night game was that they had been struggling for attendance on Opening Day the previous couple years. I think for the home opener in '99 we only had about 27,000 in the house and they felt if they had a night game, more Sox fans could attend the game. They ended up being correct as the place was sold out for the 2000 opener however, the Sox got extremely lucky with the weather that day. It was 72 degrees, with sunny clear skies. A night game in April can be extremely cold but it ended up working out for them. The Sox won the division and 95 games in 2000 so I think they figured they could go back to day games for Opening Day since there was a lot more interest in the team. I don't have anything concrete to back this up, it is just my theory.

munchman33
07-21-2008, 11:51 AM
I thought this was his year to become a superstar. Maybe it is not going to happen with him.

He's one of those guys that could really use a change of scenery.

TomBradley72
07-21-2008, 11:51 AM

I think they have a chance. Two nice additions within 2 weeks for a team only a few games off the pace and that struggled for the first 5-6 weeks of the season. The Cubs have already had their "magical run" in a 1st half schedule with alot of home games. Fukudome, Wood, Soriano, Marmol are some big question marks for the 2nd half.

PaleHoser
07-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Durham had a successful run with the Giants after being traded by the Sox for "power-arm" and power flop, Jon Adkins (http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/adkinjo01.shtml).

I always cringe when any GM refers to a guy as a "power-arm". That usually means he throws hard but doesn't know how to pitch or get batters out.

Let's hope Ray helps stick it to the "lovable losers" in the second half.