PDA

View Full Version : Contreras to DL

munchman33
07-20-2008, 10:14 AM
15 day confirmed by score.

Carrasco called back up.

Mohoney
07-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm wondering if Carrasco will be sent down again Tuesday for a starter, or if Masset will start Tuesday.

voodoochile
07-20-2008, 10:22 AM
If it's retroactive, he could be back by next Monday.

Maybe Carrasco starts. He gave us ~6 last time.

PeteWard
07-20-2008, 10:26 AM
15 day confirmed by score.

Carrasco called back up.

On DL for what?

Sockinchisox
07-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Sooo Masset or Carrasco starting Tuesday?

munchman33
07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
They're calling it elbow tendinitis.

I'm calling it Jose sucks.

Sockinchisox
07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
On DL for what?

Probably related to this:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080719&content_id=3159066&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

07-20-2008, 10:44 AM
**** Nick Masset. Why not call up someone who deserves a shot in the Bigs? Richard? Broadway?

white sox bill
07-20-2008, 10:44 AM

Didn't know they had a DL for suckiness.

munchman33
07-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Didn't know they had a DL for suckiness.

It happens all the time.

jdm2662
07-20-2008, 10:51 AM
On DL for what?

My guess is a very common injury, inflammed ERA.

Tragg
07-20-2008, 11:57 AM
If it's retroactive, he could be back by next Monday.

Maybe Carrasco starts. He gave us ~6 last time.
And after that, he got lit up by a AAA team.

et tu, Jon Garland

Taliesinrk
07-20-2008, 12:00 PM
so will the twins let us call up liriano? that'd make everyone happy - right?

i'm a bit confused by this move. i would think this would be a good place for broadway to come in. and now - isn't carrasco out of options?

Lip Man 1
07-20-2008, 12:05 PM
The fact that the Sox made it Friday and not a date during the break tells me they want him to get as much time off as possible.

The injury bug has been starting to rear its ugly head the last month and that is not a good thing.

Personally I think Kenny has to concentrate on trying to get a starting pitcher. Contreras in my opinion, is done....Javy is struggling and now Floyd looks shaky.

That is not a way to win a divisional title.

With the way Jose has been pitching honestly to me, this isn't a big loss. However the question is, who replaces him if this is longer then just a week or two?

That can become a real serious issue...which again is why I'm thinking Kenny is going to try to get a starter.

Someone will obviously have to start in his place at Minnesota since the 15 days won't be up yet.

Lip

Sargeant79
07-20-2008, 12:09 PM
so will the twins let us call up liriano? that'd make everyone happy - right?

i'm a bit confused by this move. i would think this would be a good place for broadway to come in. and now - isn't carrasco out of options?

Options are by year. Once they use an option once, you can send him back and forth between the bigs and the minors as much as you want.

Along those lines, You would have to use an option on Broadway if you brought him up only to send him back once Contreras is healthy. If they really think he's only going to miss a couple of starts, it makes sense to use Masset and bring up the extra bullpen arm. Only if it turns out that Contreras will miss significant time will you see Broadway this year.

Dan Mega
07-20-2008, 12:18 PM

Are you serious? How quickly we forget 2005!

munchman33
07-20-2008, 12:19 PM

We need Rowand back!

turners56
07-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Kenny might be forced to make a deal now...

I guess the farm will be empty if he does. :shrug:

Taliesinrk
07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Options are by year. Once they use an option once, you can send him back and forth between the bigs and the minors as much as you want.

Along those lines, You would have to use an option on Broadway if you brought him up only to send him back once Contreras is healthy. If they really think he's only going to miss a couple of starts, it makes sense to use Masset and bring up the extra bullpen arm. Only if it turns out that Contreras will miss significant time will you see Broadway this year.

thanks for the clarification - learn something new everyday

whitesox901
07-20-2008, 12:49 PM
It happens all the time.

The Indians called it Borowski Syndrom

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 12:49 PM
The fact that the Sox made it Friday and not a date during the break tells me they want him to get as much time off as possible.

The injury bug has been starting to rear its ugly head the last month and that is not a good thing.

Personally I think Kenny has to concentrate on trying to get a starting pitcher. Contreras in my opinion, is done....Javy is struggling and now Floyd looks shaky.

That is not a way to win a divisional title.

With the way Jose has been pitching honestly to me, this isn't a big loss. However the question is, who replaces him if this is longer then just a week or two?

That can become a real serious issue...which again is why I'm thinking Kenny is going to try to get a starter.

Someone will obviously have to start in his place at Minnesota since the 15 days won't be up yet.

Lip

I couldn't agree more Lip.

Linebrink and Jenks are huge keys if we plan to play into October. Contreras is a 5th starter right now and many teams are going thru the revolving door at that position right now. But I am starting to think that Jose has been so bad lately because of this elbow issue.

I am not going to defend Jose and be dumb to state "remember 2005." Please stop living in the past. But if Jose was 100% healthy as he might have been in late April and all of May, the guy is lights out and still has the makeup to be a #1. If we can sit him out and get him back healthy, might be as good a July 31st pick up of another starter. Some of the names I hear available are not head and shoulders better than Jose when healthy.

thomas35forever
07-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Broadway probably should've been called up, but Carrasco did prove he can give us five or six innings if needed.

As far as the division goes however, we better pray this is just a minor blip because I don't wanna be four games out by this time next week.

Frontman
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
He went on the DL for lying through his teeth. Ozzie and Coop asked him if he was hurting, he said he wasn't, then he is?

I don't care who you are, I loathe players who cover injuries when it effects their play. Jose's bad starts in these past few weeks could be the deciding games if the Sox make it into the playoffs.

If you couldn't tell, this type of garbage just POes me to no end.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 01:29 PM
He went on the DL for lying through his teeth. Ozzie and Coop asked him if he was hurting, he said he wasn't, then he is?

I don't care who you are, I loathe players who cover injuries when it effects their play. Jose's bad starts in these past few weeks could be the deciding games if the Sox make it into the playoffs.

If you couldn't tell, this type of garbage just POes me to no end.

I'm sure Jose is not the only guy to wear a uniform and try to hide his injuries. Almost every player does this.

How about Paulie playing with an injured hand and hurting the team?

07-20-2008, 01:37 PM

It's 2008 this year

Frontman
07-20-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm sure Jose is not the only guy to wear a uniform and try to hide his injuries. Almost every player does this.

How about Paulie playing with an injured hand and hurting the team?

That POed me too. Niggling injuries are one thing, as noone in professional sports, or a physical job of any kind, feels "100%." Hell, I know I'm never without a sore joint or muscle being a mail carrier, so I'm sure players take the field with an ache here or a sore there. (Paulie's I believe to be worse than they were letting on; and because of the whole "He's our captain" thing they let him go even though it was clearly effecting his play.)

Frontman
07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
It's 2008 this year

Thank you. The 2005 players are now 3 years older. While I'll always appreciate them; I don't want to have it that their presence keeps the current squad from a chance at winning.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Might as well call up Broadway and send down Russell. I would rather see Broadway start than Carrasco. Let Carrasco be the long man instead of Masset.

russ99
07-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Might as well call up Broadway and send down Russell. I would rather see Broadway start than Carrasco. Let Carrasco be the long man instead of Masset.

Carrasco did a fine job doing just that today and gave us a shot to win.

But seeing how Contreras is hurt and both Floyd and Danks looked awful this weekend, the onus is definitely now on Kenny is to add a starter. IMO: Standing pat is not an option.

Plus Masset was simply horrid the other day, and if he does end up starting Tuesday, we'll need a lot of bullpen help.

turners56
07-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Carrasco has looked really good out of the bullpen so far. If Masset screws up on this next start Carrasco should take over.

Frontman
07-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Carrasco I like. He might be the silver lining to all of this.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Front:

Ozzie appears to have agreed with you telling the Tribune he wasn't "too pleased" (direct quote) the way Jose handled the situation.

Ozzie said he didn't let Herm Schneider know, Don Cooper know or Ozzie and he continued to pitch that way hurting the team.

I think this is the final season on the South Side for Contreras. The Sox may get someone to pick up his deal in the off season, it only has one year left if memory serves. And frankly I think it's time he leaves.

Lip

WhiteSoxOnly
07-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Front:

Ozzie appears to have agreed with you telling the Tribune he wasn't "too pleased" (direct quote) the way Jose handled the situation.

Ozzie said he didn't let Herm Schneider know, Don Cooper know or Ozzie and he continued to pitch that way hurting the team.

I think this is the final season on the South Side for Contreras. The Sox may get someone to pick up his deal in the off season, it only has one year left if memory serves. And frankly I think it's time he leaves.

Lip
Agreed...it's one thing to act like a diva when you're pitching horse****,but when you pull this ****...good luck to Kenny though trying to move this guy.

JB98
07-20-2008, 08:17 PM
This whole thing is a two-way street. Our sporting culture admires athletes who suck it up and perform at less than 100 percent. Especially now that these guys are all millionaires, the fans and media get on guys who admit they are hurt for being "prima donnas" and such. Mark Prior has been referred to as a "*****" for not pitching through injury.

There's a fine line. You want guys who are willing to go out there and give 100 percent of what they have on a given day, even when they are not 100 percent physically. But then again, sometimes a player needs to say, "Hey, I just can't get it done right now. Put somebody else out there."

One thing that I'll never do is call for a player to be traded or released because he tried to play through injury. Should Jose have told Ozzie and staff about his discomfort earlier? Probably, but I'm not going to come down real hard on Jose for wanting to play.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Front:

Lip

Complete BS IMO because they continue to trott out Konerko with a busted hand and the fact is that he hurt the team on a daily basis compared to Contreras every 5 days the last month.

They can't have a double standard here.

Plenty of guys can play 1B for Konerko on this roster, meanwhile how many capable arms do we have down in Charlotte who can replace a Jose Contreras?

SBSoxFan
07-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Javy is struggling and now Floyd looks shaky.

Lip

But seeing how Contreras is hurt and both Floyd and Danks looked awful this weekend, the onus is definitely now on Kenny is to add a starter. IMO:

Boy, this is a tough crowd. You guys do realize that Floyd gave up 1 earned run in 6 innings with 6 strikeouts, Saturday, right?

Lip Man 1
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
SB:

And his outing before that?

JB:

I'm not getting on Jose for wanting to pitch through pain, not at all. I'm getting on him before I think he is finished as a winning pitcher.

Lip

palehozenychicty
07-21-2008, 01:12 PM
SB:

And his outing before that?

JB:

I'm not getting on Jose for wanting to pitch through pain, not at all. I'm getting on him before I think he is finished as a winning pitcher.

Lip

He wasn't good, but no starter is going to throw 7-8 innings every start and post a BB:K ratio of 1/9. Sheesh.

I think the team is going through a tough streak right now, but hang in there. Nobody's running away with anything right now, anywhere.

Frontman
07-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Complete BS IMO because they continue to trott out Konerko with a busted hand and the fact is that he hurt the team on a daily basis compared to Contreras every 5 days the last month.

They can't have a double standard here.

Plenty of guys can play 1B for Konerko on this roster, meanwhile how many capable arms do we have down in Charlotte who can replace a Jose Contreras?

Like I said, I didn't agree with that as well. But I don't care for players who lie about being hurt either.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't know if anyone saw this but the Sox according to Mark Gonzales have now changed the date Jose was put on the DL to July 14.

He's eligible to come off it and pitch at Minnesota if the Sox want to do that.

Lip

chisoxfan4life
07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
This whole thing is a two-way street. Our sporting culture admires athletes who suck it up and perform at less than 100 percent. Especially now that these guys are all millionaires, the fans and media get on guys who admit they are hurt for being "prima donnas" and such. Mark Prior has been referred to as a "*****" for not pitching through injury.

There's a fine line. You want guys who are willing to go out there and give 100 percent of what they have on a given day, even when they are not 100 percent physically. But then again, sometimes a player needs to say, "Hey, I just can't get it done right now. Put somebody else out there."

One thing that I'll never do is call for a player to be traded or released because he tried to play through injury. Should Jose have told Ozzie and staff about his discomfort earlier? Probably, but I'm not going to come down real hard on Jose for wanting to play.

Great post. If Jose had pitched great at Texas and we would have won everyone would be saying what a tough guy and amazing athlete he was, similar to Tiger Woods earlier this year. People around here need to be more rational. I stopped posting at Soxtalk because the majority of the people over there are irrational and pessimistic and I hope I don't have to deal with a lot of that over here.

We should all realize by now how streaky Contreras is. He has always been this way, it is just something we will have to deal with for as long as he is on the team. Hopefully going on the DL will enable him to find his groove again and pitch like he did 2nd half of 2005 and the beginning of this season. Calling for him to be traded at the end of the year does nothing for us right now, we need to focus on winning this division and then spoiling the Cubs 100 year celebration and making it 2 in 4 years for the South Side.

UofCSoxFan
07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I also hope that this stint in the DL proves that the whole "bothered by Pablo" thing was blown way out of proportion. It seems clear now that the tendinitis in his elbow, resulting in lowew velcoicity and worse control, was much more of a factor.

doublem23
07-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I also hope that this stint in the DL proves that the whole "bothered by Pablo" thing was blown way out of proportion. It seems clear now that the tendinitis in his elbow, resulting in lowew velcoicity and worse control, was much more of a factor.

Well, let's see what he looks like after he comes off the D.L.