PDA

View Full Version : Sox interested in Street

Sockinchisox
07-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Kind of surprising, considering how well our bullpen is doing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/19/saturday.scoop/index.html?eref=writers

UofCSoxFan
07-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Sometimes it's easier to add a bullpen arm than a starter. If we strengthen or pen, even though it already is a strength, we may be OK just getting 5 out of Contreras/Vazquez.

Rockabilly
07-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Sometimes it's easier to add a bullpen arm than a starter. If we strengthen or pen, even though it already is a strength, we may be OK just getting 5 out of Contreras/Vazquez.

Would love to add Street and put Masset back into the minors or send him as part of the package

Also the Sox are scouting ex Sox player Jon Rauch

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Something tells me all is NOT fine when it comes to Linebrink if the Sox are looking for another bullpen arm of the caliber of Street.

TDog
07-20-2008, 03:12 AM
This afternoon while running errands I heard the A's postgame call-in show on the radio. Street . blew another save today, this time to the Yankees. The
A's fans I heard want him gone. The Sunday before the break he blew a save to the Angels. Even with all the injuries and trading away of pitchers, the A's should be in the thick of the AL West race. Apparently, they need a closer.

Madvora
07-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Sportsline.com says the Sox are also looking at Jon Rauch.
http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8691437/9437986 (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/view/8691437)

veeter
07-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Something tells me all is NOT fine when it comes to Linebrink if the Sox are looking for another bullpen arm of the caliber of Street.I agree. They're keeping it pretty quiet, too. I'd take Street in a heartbeat.

Brian26
07-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Something tells me all is NOT fine when it comes to Linebrink if the Sox are looking for another bullpen arm of the caliber of Street.

Something tells me all is not fine with Jenks either.

Craig Grebeck
07-20-2008, 09:01 AM
I'd love to have Street.

And TDog, A's fans who call into post-game shows are apparently as intelligent as Sox fans who call into post-game shows. Wanting Street gone for any other reason than to get some value for him is hilarious.

Brian26
07-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Street's stats this year are alarmingly bad. He's given up 20 runs in 43 IP. Compare that to Jenks, who has given up 7 runs in 32.1 IP.

Tragg
07-20-2008, 09:59 AM
This is the time to sell, not buy, bullpen arms. But I guess it can't be helped if Jenks and Linebrink have arm issues.
But don't pay a ton for someone Beane has been overtly peddling for 2 years.
Rauch would be interesting - pay to acquire someone we basically gave away.

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 10:10 AM
After seeing Beane's deals this offseason I wonder what it would take to get him? Getz, Russell and Richard? I'm probably way off who knows.

Evman5
07-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Sportsline.com says the Sox are also looking at Jon Rauch.
http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8691437/9437986 (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/view/8691437)

If my memory serves me correctly, didn't the White Sox and Rauch have a bitter split when we sent him away? And who did we trade him for Gary Majewski? I remember we traded away/traded for that guy atleast 3 times.

white sox bill
07-20-2008, 10:50 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, didn't the White Sox and Rauch have a bitter split when we sent him away? And who did we trade him for Gary Majewski? I remember we traded away/traded for that guy atleast 3 times.

I'm thinking he showered and left game early not even getting anyone's approval to do it. Then didn't he do an interview on radio while in his car, saying he was heading out of town for good?

white sox bill
07-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Street's stats this year are alarmingly bad. He's given up 20 runs in 43 IP. Compare that to Jenks, who has given up 7 runs in 32.1 IP.

Wow I didn't realize he's been sucking that bad....maybe Coop can help revive him

gr8mexico
07-20-2008, 11:54 AM
The Sox should really consider getting Street's you could never go bad with pitching and he is under control until after the 2010 season. If anything they can trade him later if he gets back on track.

Tragg
07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
We traded him and Majewski for Everett the 2nd time (Everett was having a bad year)

TDog
07-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I'd love to have Street.

And TDog, A's fans who call into post-game shows are apparently as intelligent as Sox fans who call into post-game shows. Wanting Street gone for any other reason than to get some value for him is hilarious.

Of course, A's fans have seen him pitch this year, and he hasn't pitched well. I've seen Street pitch this year, and I'm hardly an A's fan. Sometimes he is on. Sometimes he is not. Like Billy Koch, he had a good run as the A's closer. Koch struck out the side for a Sox save in the 2003 home opener, but you judge a closer on how consistently good he is. Koch wasn't. Street hasn't been in Koch territory this season, but he isn't on often enough. In fact, he has been scored upon in some of his saves.

Rockabilly
07-20-2008, 12:05 PM
the rumor here in the bay area

Is that the Sox will get Huston Street since Milwaukee is going to be making a trade with the Giants for Ray Durham and a bull pen guy probably sometime within the next 24 hours...

Taliesinrk
07-20-2008, 12:07 PM
sorry for my ignorance - but why are those two related?

the giants/A's rumor, rockabily..

Lip Man 1
07-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Linebrink threw on the side today and said afterwards he felt fine.

Lip

gr8mexico
07-20-2008, 12:22 PM
the rumor here in the bay area

Is that the Sox will get Huston Street since Milwaukee is going to be making a trade with the Giants for Ray Durham and a bull pen guy probably sometime within the next 24 hours...
The trade for Durham went thru already and let's hope that the Streets trade goes thru now that Contreras is on the DL and the Sox will have to rely on the bullpen more.

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 12:25 PM
The trade for Durham went thru already and let's hope that the Streets trade goes thru now that Contreras is on the DL and the Sox will have to rely on the bullpen more.
Who knows maybe less.

Taliesinrk
07-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Who knows maybe less.

that's funny because there's a decent probability that it's true

whitesox901
07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
You can never have too much pitching

TDog
07-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Linebrink threw on the side today and said afterwards he felt fine.

Lip

The Sox didn't publicize the fact that Linebrink was shut down before the break. I thought it was just a matter of fatigue. Many fans believed it was because he couldn't close, as his streak of being scored upon in four straight appearances covered three save opportunities.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with Linebrink and Jenks. But they needed some time off.

thomas35forever
07-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Why not? The A's obviously don't care about competing this year anyways. Even if that weren't the case though, I'd love to have Street on our roster. I'd trust him more in the later innings than Dotel.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Why not? The A's obviously don't care about competing this year anyways. Even if that weren't the case though, I'd love to have Street on our roster. I'd trust him more in the later innings than Dotel.

I honestly thinkg Dotel has been more effective this year than Street has been so far with the A's.

Street did make our hitters look like crap a few weeks ago, but he has not been lights out by any stretch.

Anyway, I rather have him pitching the 7th inning or 8th than a guy like Masset or Russel.

Foulke You
07-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Street would likely be used as another high caliber setup man and not our closer and I'd be all for this type of move. With the kind of stuff Street has combined with his track record, I think it would be wise to pick him up. The bottom line is Huston Street would be replacing either Masset or Russell in the bullpen and I'd certainly take Street over either of those two. If the price is right, I hope KW does this deal.

Chrisaway
07-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Get it done Kenny. Street is great insurance if say Linebrink or Jenks gets hurt again.

Boondock Saint
07-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Get it done Kenny. Street is great insurance if say Linebrink or Jenks gets hurt again.

When he's on, Street is an elite reliever. He's given our hitters FAR too many headaches over the last couple years.

BUT this is just a rumor and I don't think that the Sox would be aiming for someone like him in a deal.

turners56
07-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Street hasn't been very good this season...

thomas35forever
07-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Street hasn't been very good this season...
Coop will fix him!

soxfanreggie
07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Wouldn't be against acquiring him. Will be intersting to see if the A's can make a whole minor league roster out of what they get for Haren, Street (should they trade him), Blanton, and whoever else they let go.

PatK
07-20-2008, 07:05 PM
I'd take Street in a heatbeat. The A's are in a selling mode at this point.

Maybe we could land him and Duscherer (or however you spell it) in a trade.

Like someone said, you can never have too much pitching. As long as we don't have to give up too much, and from the looks of what the A's have been trading for, I'm all for it.

SoxNation05
07-20-2008, 10:46 PM
I'd take Street in a heatbeat. The A's are in a selling mode at this point.

Maybe we could land him and Duscherer (or however you spell it) in a trade.

Like someone said, you can never have too much pitching. As long as we don't have to give up too much, and from the looks of what the A's have been trading for, I'm all for it.
I want to win it right now and that may not be a bad move depending on what we give up.
Ducsh(sp) is pitching great but will obviously not keep it up but if he can still keep a 3.5 ERA I would welcome him.
Street reminds me of a younger talented Dotel. I don't know if we could actually trust him but if we can work him up to his elite talent it could definetly help us down the road. Whether it be trading him or Jenks for a top player and have one close. Street would be pitching in a set up role he has never thrown in.

nodiggity59
07-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Floyd and Broadway for Street and Dusch?

:dunno:

DSpivack
07-20-2008, 11:11 PM

Hahahahaha.

SoxNation05
07-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Fields, Broadway, Egbert, Shelby and Cole Armstrong for Dusch and Street.

DickAllen72
07-20-2008, 11:15 PM

Fields, Masset, Broadway and Shelby?

Optipessimism
07-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Fields, Broadway, Egbert, Shelby and Cole Armstrong for Dusch and Street.
I don't think the A's are trying to collect 5th starter prospects, and I wouldn't give them Fields for either Duch or Street. They've both had injury problems and they're both going to hit arbitration. I'd gladly give them Poreda though, but I don't know how much interest would be there for the A's. We might not have enough.

Maybe something with Poreda, Shelby, Getz (to compete with Patterson for now and maybe Cardenas if he doesn't move to short), and a pretty high ceiling guy like Griffith or Martinez would work. Beane seems to love Sox relievers and I'm sure he'd go after an additional piece like Jon Link. But yeah, I don't see the A's wanting anything to do with 4th/5th starter prospects right now. Not with their farm system.

SoxNation05
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't think the A's are trying to collect 5th starter prospects, and I wouldn't give them Fields for either Duch or Street. They've both had injury problems and they're both going to hit arbitration. I'd gladly give them Poreda though, but I don't know how much interest would be there for the A's. We might not have enough.

Maybe something with Poreda, Shelby, Getz (to compete with Patterson for now and maybe Cardenas if he doesn't move to short), and a pretty high ceiling guy like Griffith or Martinez would work. Beane seems to love Sox relievers and I'm sure he'd go after an additional piece like Jon Link. But yeah, I don't see the A's wanting anything to do with 4th/5th starter prospects right now. Not with their farm system.
I am just throwing names out there but sadly these 4th/5th starter prospects are the Sox best pitching prospects.

Optipessimism
07-20-2008, 11:39 PM
I am just throwing names out there but sadly these 4th/5th starter prospects are the Sox best pitching prospects.
I don't know about that though. Those are the names that are mentioned most but guys like Charlie Shirek and Anthony Carter might be better prospects. I think if we end up dealing for a big name player we'll have to deal from High A and below mainly. There are some relievers at Birmingham though that could have some value, but who knows how much.

JB98
07-20-2008, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't give up too much for Street. Given the way that guy has pitched this year, his value should be going down. Of course, relief pitching is at a premium. If some other team wants to overpay for Street, let them.

Frankly, I'd rather have Rauch. We can probably get him for less, and he'd probably be no less effective.

TDog
07-21-2008, 12:03 AM
I want to win it right now and that may not be a bad move depending on what we give up.
Ducsh(sp) is pitching great but will obviously not keep it up but if he can still keep a 3.5 ERA I would welcome him.
Street reminds me of a younger talented Dotel. I don't know if we could actually trust him but if we can work him up to his elite talent it could definetly help us down the road. Whether it be trading him or Jenks for a top player and have one close. Street would be pitching in a set up role he has never thrown in.

It isn't obvious that Duchscherer won't keep up his excellent pitching. He has always been an excellent reliever. This isn't the first season he was named to the American League All-Star Team. Whether he continues to be a superior starter is a question to be answered. I certainly don't see the A's trading him, unless some teams offers what they would offer for a top line starter. I don't know if anyone is certain he will be a front line starter in the future.

I wouldn't be against the Sox acquiring Street. I hope that if they do, they don't give up much for him. He hasn't been pitching well this season. He could turn out to be an excellent reliever for the Sox, but the Sox expected Koch to be an excellent reliever.

Sockinchisox
07-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Peter Gammons is reporting that Street has been offered to the Sox and 2 other teams.

(I didn't catch the other teams, I think they were the Rays and Marlins)

getonbckthr
07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Peter Gammons is reporting that Street has been offered to the Sox and 2 other teams.

(I didn't catch the other teams, I think they were the Rays and Marlins)
If this is true then I believe the Sox will get him.

jabrch
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM
If this is true then I believe the Sox will get him.

The Rays have more ammunition than we do.

Tragg
07-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Do we need a closer?
How much ammunition do we throw toward a player we don't need (especially a Beane pitcher in a huge pitcher's ballpark who's not having that great a year).

Burnett, Tejada...sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

BadBobbyJenks
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
The last thing we need IMO, is Huston Street.

thomas35forever
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
The last thing we need IMO, is Huston Street.
With our bullpen feeling a little beat, he wouldn't be a bad idea though.

UofCSoxFan
07-23-2008, 10:29 PM
The Red Sox were one of the other two teams.

Tragg
07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Aside from not having a particularly good year, Street also has a high home run rate while pitching in a pitcher's park...how's that going to work in the Cell?
He's been hurt, hard used and they'll want the best prospect we have.
No

BadBobbyJenks
07-23-2008, 10:45 PM

We have Dotel and Linebrink, we do not need another righty. We have one of the most underused bullpens in all of baseball in terms of innings pitched.

Whatever it costs to get Street, just say no.

kraut83
07-24-2008, 09:25 AM

I would think there would be someone cheaper to fill in though. I'd imagine Beane is goint to ask more than Street is worth.

Unless there is more wrong with Jenks than we know I don't see how he fits in with Dotel, Linebrink and Thornton being solid for the most part.

Sockinchisox
07-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Olney just said on SportsCenter that the Sox and A's are talking Street.

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 10:39 PM
For Cabrera is the chatter.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
I guess Street would be our back up if Linebrink is out for longer than we expect? Would we have to give up Fields for him? We'd have a hell of a bullpen if our sixth inning guys is Dotel or Street, seventh inning Dotel or Street, eighth inning Linebrink and the ninth is Bobby Jenks. Ideally the starter still goes into the seventh, but damn! That would be a tough bullpen.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2008, 10:41 PM
For Cabrera is the chatter.
Wait, then that would move Uribe back to second? Or would there be another move for another second baseman? Perhaps one in Baltimore??

getonbckthr
07-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Wait, then that would move Uribe back to second? Or would there be another move for another second baseman? Perhaps one in Baltimore??
Baltimore has said Roberts will finish the season in Baltimore. Before its even brought up Houston has promised Tejada he isn't being dealt either.

WhiteSox5187
07-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Baltimore has said Roberts will finish the season in Baltimore. Before its even brought up Houston has promised Tejada he isn't being dealt either.
Well if a deal for Street means Juan is anywhere near our starting lineup...I don't like it.

koz
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Sox receive Street and Ellis, and give up O.C and a prospect. This would be a three way trade with Oakland and L.A.

WhiteSoxOnly
07-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Well if a deal for Street means Juan is anywhere near our starting lineup...I don't like it.

Yuck...who leads off if OC goes ?

soxfan43
07-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Anyone know Street's contract status? With Jenks heading to arbitration soon, might not be a bad idea to have another closer on the roster. I don't know however how much adding street and ellis for ocab helps us this year.

Tragg
07-30-2008, 11:15 PM
No Beane pitchers please. Especially one with injury history.
Beane already stiffed you once with a dead armed reliever, Kenny. Don't get fooled again.

Konerko05
07-30-2008, 11:20 PM
These Cabrera for Street rumors make absolutely no sense. I sure hope Buster Olney has no idea what he is talking about.

Why would we disrupt our whole team just to get a reliever with a 4.00 ERA? This means we also have to add a second baseman, change our whole middle infield, change our leadoff hitter, and disrupt the clubhouse. I'd rather shift Ramirez to shortstop during the offseason, not during a division race.

Also, why would Oakland even want Cabrera? What business would they want for a 2 month rent-a-player while they are completely out of the race? Just to let him walk and get 2 draft picks? Would this be Ray Durham trade part II?

Rockabilly
07-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Yuck...who leads off if OC goes ?

I guess Alexi

Domeshot17
07-30-2008, 11:39 PM
These Cabrera for Street rumors make absolutely no sense. I sure hope Buster Olney has no idea what he is talking about.

Why would we disrupt our whole team just to get a reliever with a 4.00 ERA? This means we also have to add a second baseman, change our whole middle infield, change our leadoff hitter, and disrupt the clubhouse. I'd rather shift Ramirez to shortstop during the offseason, not during a division race.

Also, why would Oakland even want Cabrera? What business would they want for a 2 month rent-a-player while they are completely out of the race? Just to let him walk and get 2 draft picks? Would this be Ray Durham trade part II?

Its a very Beane trade, don't see the prospect you want, so take 2 top draft choices.

Something else would have to happen. TCM leading off would make us as stupid as the Cubs leading Soriano off.

Konerko05
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Its a very Beane trade, don't see the prospect you want, so take 2 top draft choices.

Yeah I know he does that. As I noted it already happened to us. Only this time Oakland is the seller and I think teams would be making better offers.

Someone try to justify this potential deal from a White Sox perspective.

SoxNation05
07-30-2008, 11:56 PM
I guess Alexi
I was gonna guess Alexei?

Marqhead
07-31-2008, 12:03 AM
In other news, Street blew another save today...

Sockinchisox
07-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Cowley saying Kenny is trying to acquire Street in a three-way deal, and that he would become the 8th inning guy with Linebrink down.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1083551,CST-SPT-ssep31.article

I wonder if the third team is the Dodgers if Cabrera is involved.

SBSoxFan
07-31-2008, 12:38 AM

Would that be the "word on the Street" then? :redneck

It looks like Street really has no business being a closer.

lukeman89
07-31-2008, 12:42 AM

false! he just picked up the loss.

Sockinchisox
07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Olney just said the Sox and A's are still talking Street but sources told him that there is a 1% chance the A's trade either Street or Duchscherer.

sox1970
07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Olney just said the Sox and A's are still talking Street but sources told him that there is a 1% chance the A's trade either Street or Duchscherer.

So you're tellin' me there's a chance....

Sockinchisox
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Jesse Rogers just said he got a text saying Street is still on the table for the Sox.

thedudeabides
07-31-2008, 12:46 PM
So you're tellin' me there's a chance....

Then what was all that one in a million talk?