PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 2007 Deja Vu Postgame Thread

turners56
07-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Somebody said it seemed like 07; I don't blame him.

Just a bad game overall.

SoxSpeed22
07-19-2008, 10:08 PM
You win 60, you lose 60, this is one of those losses.

turners56
07-19-2008, 10:10 PM

Just came out and didn't have it. Simple as that.

Danks pitching tomorrow. I feel pretty good about a series win. However, I think winning a series at home against the Royals is nothing to brag about.

Those Twinkies are half a game back. As the great Don Guillote said, they're not overrated Twinkie acts; they're "underrated Ninjas".

Lip Man 1
07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Floyd pitched better then his outing in Texas, he deserved better. The Sox defense has been shaky the past two nights and that's not good.

I think only one of the three runs off him was earned this evening.

Better win tomorrow because it looks like the Twins refuse to lose in the House of Horrors.

Lip

Tragg
07-19-2008, 10:17 PM
2 hits and can only work 2 walks against Royals pitching.
Crede's error total is getting alarming (lack of errors don't prove anything; but high error numbers are suggestive). Not only is it higher than any full season total in his career, it's almost 50% higher.

turners56
07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I seriously think Rongey should quit his job. He can't take any freaking criticism about the team. Maybe he should understand that some people aren't exactly happy after a 9-1 loss to a bottom dweller.

SOXfnNlansing
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Cabrera should have knocked down that ball. 2 hits it doesn't matter I guess:o:

Railsplitter
07-19-2008, 10:42 PM
When these guys win,I think "Series time" When they lose, I want Ozzi and Kenny to be beaten senseless. Am I crazy?

munchman33
07-19-2008, 10:43 PM

You can say that after every loss if it makes you feel better. It doesn't change the truth of the situation. We're down to a half game in first, we haven't really played all that well other than flashing in quite a while, and the team behind us is only improving by the day (not to mention its best pitcher is in AAA knocking on the door).

This game was winnable. It's the ****in' Royals. The Twins win this game. We won't win the division if we don't start winning these games too.

turners56
07-19-2008, 10:44 PM
You can say that after every loss if it makes you feel better. It doesn't change the truth of the situation. We're down to a half game in first, we haven't really played all that well other than flashing in quite a while, and the team behind us is only improving by the day (not to mention it's best pitcher is in AAA knocking on the door).

This game was winnable. It's the ****in' Royals. The Twins win this game. We won't win the division if we don't start winning these games too.

If you look at the trends, the last time we were up by only half a game, we ended up going on a 7 game win streak.

That's been the case twice.

We were only up by half a game when we swept KC and Minnesota on a June homestand.

We were only up by half a game going into the final game at Dodger Stadium. Then, we ended up winning the rubber game in that series, swept the Cubs, and then swept the Indians.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Well Turner, let's hope you are right.

I had hoped that the Sox would go 8-4 against K.C. and Texas in these four series before the biggest single week of the season.

Looks like that's probably not going to happen.

Regarding the Twins Munch, if they keep winning 75% of their games (a la 2006), if they keep hitting .275 as a team, keep leading the league in BA with runners in scoring position and simply don't lose in the Metrodome, it's not going to matter what the Sox do or don't do will it?

All the Sox can do is worry about themselves and hope that someone (maybe themselves) can cool down Minnesota.

Lip

munchman33
07-19-2008, 10:55 PM
If you look at the trends, the last time we were up by only half a game, we ended up going on a 7 game win streak.

That's been the case twice.

We were only up by half a game when we swept KC and Minnesota on a June homestand.

Then, we were only up by half a game going into the final game at Dodger Stadium. Then, we ended up winning the rubber game in that series, swept the Cubs, and then swept the Indians.

We're also 6-6 since then against some pretty **** teams.

Meanwhile, the Twins just beat the teams they're supposed to. They're consistent. And they're getting better. Everyone knocks their pitching. They've been pitching a lot better than us lately. If we don't address our offensive inconsistencies and our rotation depth, we could see this thing getting away from us sooner than many people realize. We've been good enough to lead the division up until this point. But the Twins aren't the same team they were three months ago. And if we don't improve, they'll fly passed us.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Munch:

The offensive inconsistencies are going to stay with this team until the off season.

It took Kenny three years to finally solve the bullpen and I think he's about near the end on this 'all or nothing' offense too but you can't make a major overhaul in the middle of the season, especially when your minor league system is practically barren.

It is what it is I guess. (Not that I'm disagreeing with you)

Now I can see them going out and getting some pitching help for the rotation.

Lip

turners56
07-19-2008, 11:00 PM
We're also 6-6 since then against some pretty **** teams.

Meanwhile, the Twins just beat the teams they're supposed to. They're consistent. And they're getting better. Everyone knocks their pitching. They've been pitching a lot better than us lately. If we don't address our offensive inconsistencies and our rotation depth, we could see this thing getting away from us sooner than many people realize. We've been good enough to lead the division up until this point. But the Twins aren't the same team they were three months ago. And if we don't improve, they'll fly passed us.

Yeah, the Royals are quite ****ty, but the Rangers aren't (especially not at home).

If we can find a way to take care of business when it counts, it'll be all good. For now, just focus on these next 4 games on the home stand and hope you go 3-1 in the process.

Ranger
07-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I seriously think Rongey should quit his job. He can't take any freaking criticism about the team. Maybe he should understand that some people aren't exactly happy after a 9-1 loss to a bottom dweller.

Yet another person hearing what they want to. I criticize when it's warranted...and it happens fairly frequently. You should pay attention more often. It's helpful.

You think I don't know people are unhappy? You think I don't get frustrated with the rest of them? What you have to understand is that just because people are frustrated doesn't mean their opinions of the team aren't being clouded by emotional judgment.

slavko
07-19-2008, 11:05 PM
2 hits and can only work 2 walks against Royals pitching.
Crede's error total is getting alarming (lack of errors don't prove anything; but high error numbers are suggestive). Not only is it higher than any full season total in his career, it's almost 50% higher.

You're not saying that he's tanking it, are you?

Patrick134
07-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Yet another person hearing what they want to. I criticize when it's warranted...and it happens fairly frequently. You should pay attention more often. It's helpful.

You think I don't know people are unhappy? You think I don't get frustrated with the rest of them? What you have to understand is that just because people are frustrated doesn't mean their opinions of the team aren't being clouded by emotional judgment.

Amen. People take the opportunity after losses like this to air lame wild opinions that serve no purpose.

Madvora
07-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I remember 2006 to be like this. Somehow we won 90 games, but that seemed kind of surprising at the end of the season. Most of my memories were from failures.
This year looks like we should win the division, but all I can think about is this team constantly playing like crap... and we're in first place! However, they decided to try pitching failures instead of hitting failures as of late. Might as well give everybody a turn.

turners56
07-19-2008, 11:11 PM

Wow, I had no idea the actual Ranger was actually on this site. Whatever.

Anyways, I listen to the show a lot of times and I understand the frustration that you would go through with some of the incredibly stupid callers that go on your show. However, listening to some of your responses to certain people, I get a feeling that you are totally ignoring their comments and basically saying, "you're wrong, get off my show." To me, that's unprofessional. I think you should be a bit more open to opinion at times and at least try to be a little nicer... That's it. I am in no way in objection to most of your opinions, you understand what's going on with the team. I'll give you that.

If you've looked at what I've posted so far, there is no way in hell I think the season is over or anything. I'm not the one wanting Konerko and Thome traded; I'm not the one worrying that Jose might go into the dumper and never come back out again. I'm not even pissed at tonight's loss.

tacosalbarojas
07-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Why was Masset brought in to a 3-1 game? Is Linebrink hurt or has Ozzie just lost faith in him? I found that move curious.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2008, 11:21 PM
For the record both the Sox and Twins are 5-4 in their last nine games.

Lip

turners56
07-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Why was Masset brought in to a 3-1 game? Is Linebrink hurt or has Ozzie just lost faith in him? I found that move curious.

Linebrink's got a tired arm.

Patrick134
07-19-2008, 11:23 PM

Moot point as far as tonight's outcome. While a bad bullpen outing is never good to see, it's nice to waste it on a lost cause like tonight's game.

Noneck
07-19-2008, 11:45 PM

Opinion or fact?

jabrch
07-19-2008, 11:55 PM
What you have to understand is that just because people are frustrated doesn't mean their opinions of the team aren't being clouded by emotional judgment.

"emotional judgement"?

That doesn't describe half the ****-for-brains that calls the post game show.

jabrch
07-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I get a feeling that you are totally ignoring their comments and basically saying, "you're wrong, get off my show."

I'm glad he does that rather than subject us to more stupidity.

TornLabrum
07-19-2008, 11:57 PM

Sox fans letting emotions cloud their judgments? Sox fans overreacting to a loss? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

october23sp
07-20-2008, 12:03 AM
The loss itself doesn't alarm me like someone already said you win 60 and lose 60. This was a 60. What Im nervous about is the Twins. They don't seem like they will win 60 and lose 60 it seems they will automatically get 80. Seriously I don't see much of a chance of this division being ours. The wild card spot is open. I'm not saying we won't win the division because we got slaughted by the Royals I'm saying it because the Twins just NEVER losing.

EdHerman12
07-20-2008, 12:07 AM

Mod edit: You evaded the language filter. See you in a week.

Tragg
07-20-2008, 12:22 AM
You're not saying that he's tanking it, are you?
Tanking? Of course not. Why would anyone think he would do that?

RadioheadRocks
07-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Somewhere in the course of a 162 game season there are going to be games like this. It's happened, it sucked, let's put it behind us and go get the series tomorrow.

cleanwsox
07-20-2008, 12:25 AM

You do a good job. I'm pissed off just like everybody else here but realize trying to solve it by calling you isn't going to change anything. Keep it up, you DO have supporters out there.

thomas35forever
07-20-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm more concerned about the possibility of us being in second tomorrow than losing tonight. Please win tomorrow and that concern will be put on hold for another day.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Mod edit: You evaded the language filter. See you in a week.

Your Triple Threat Sports gift card will not be in the mail.

october23sp
07-20-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm more concerned about the possibility of us being in second tomorrow than losing tonight. Please win tomorrow and that concern will be put on hold for another day.

Yeah I was just thinking that too. If we lose 5 in a row which isn't hard and the Twins win 5 in a row which is probably going to happen, we are suddenly 5 games down which makes me quiver when i think of that.

turners56
07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Opinion or fact?

Fact.

turners56
07-20-2008, 12:36 AM

Maybe he's one of those people who called in today and acted as if the sky is falling.

TornLabrum
07-20-2008, 12:36 AM

Quoting something that can get a user banned can get you banned.

BUMMER
07-20-2008, 12:39 AM

Ranger, you can say you criticize - that's not my issue. To me, SOME callers have fair concerns, criticisms, gripes, etc and you often dismiss them as if their opinions are invalid - they're just opinions and some are fair. For example, three of the Sox' most highly-paid players who should be leading the way are actually hurting us the most with their underproduction (Contreras, Konerko, and Thome) and callers who want to move on from those 3 have valid points. You imply that we'd be crazy not to want those 3 in the line-up. It may be you that's wrong.

I have a different solution. Stemming from a combination of "stupid" callers and your making excuses for those who don't produce , I simply don't listen to your show anymore. If enough listeners turn your show off, well.....

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Ranger, you can say you criticize - that's not my issue. To me, SOME callers have fair concerns, criticisms, gripes, etc and you often dismiss them as if their opinions are invalid - they're just opinions and some are fair. For example, three of the Sox' most highly-paid players who should be leading the way are actually hurting us the most with their underproduction (Contreras, Konerko, and Thome) and callers who want to move on from those 3 have valid points. You imply that we'd be crazy not to want those 3 in the line-up. It may be you that's wrong.

I have a different solution. Stemming from a combination of "stupid" callers and your making excuses for those who don't produce , I simply don't listen to your show anymore. If enough listeners turn your show off, well.....

I think this year more than others there is a very short fuse on the post game show. I sure hope the Sox have nothing to do with this in asking Rongy to pull the plug on anything negative.

Now my questions is:

The post game show is part of the White Sox broadcast or is it a separate Score Radio Show? If it's a Score Radio show then the Sox should have ZERO input on what is discussed on it.

turners56
07-20-2008, 12:48 AM
I usually agree with Rongey. His opinion isn't the problem. As for his attitude...well, let's just say he's not the nicest post game host for the Sox in recent history.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 12:49 AM

I sure hope not. He's had over a week + to rest now and if he can't get up right now then we might have a bigger concern on our hands right now.

thomas35forever
07-20-2008, 12:50 AM
I usually agree with Rongey. His opinion isn't the problem. As for his attitude...well, let's just say he's not the nicest post game host for the Sox in recent history.
Don't tell me you wouldn't be stressed if you had his job: listening to the same callers bitch and complain about the team night after night, especially after losses. I might be tempted to take my feelings out on the pants-pissers if it was the same thing every night.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Don't tell me you wouldn't be stressed if you had his job: listening to the same callers bitch and complain about the team night after night, especially after losses. I might be tempted to take my feelings out on the pants-pissers if it was the same thing every night.

Not an excuse. He needs to be professional. This is part of the job and he is cashing in a pay check to "I guess take the abuse" you guys are claiming he takes. If the job was so "stressful" as some of you guys making out to be, then just quit.

I know I would die to have his job and take my beating from dumb callers every night.

turners56
07-20-2008, 12:53 AM
I sure hope not. He's had over a week + to rest now and if he can't get up right now then we might have a bigger concern on our hands right now.

It's certainly bad news. I thought today would have been the day to give Bobby some work. This bullpen can live without Linebrink. Life without Jenks is alot worse.

TornLabrum
07-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Not an excuse. He needs to be professional. This is part of the job and he is cashing in a pay check to "I guess take the abuse" you guys are claiming he takes. If the job was so "stressful" as some of you guys making out to be, then just quit.

I know I would die to have his job and take my beating from dumb callers every night.

Until you went through about your second losing streak listening to these idiots (and I apologize to all the idiots of the world).

turners56
07-20-2008, 12:55 AM

Well said.

Martinigirl
07-20-2008, 12:57 AM

I am amazed at his self restraint. Just look at the title of this thread, we lose one game and suddenly it is just like 2007. I don't know if it is Sox fan thing, or if other fanbases are like this, but so many Sox fans seem manic, particularly the ones that call that show. Things are either wonderful or horrible, there is no middle ground and having to deal with that after every game can not be easy.

soltrain21
07-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Crappy game all around.

Bench Walker. Fire Konerko.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 01:01 AM
I am amazed at his self restraint. Just look at the title of this thread, we lose one game and suddenly it is just like 2007. I don't know if it is Sox fan thing, or if other fanbases are like this, but so many Sox fans seem manic, particularly the ones that call that show. Things are either wonderful or horrible, there is no middle ground and having to deal with that after every game can not be easy.

Self restraint to what?

It's a sports talk show, their 1 million other jobs out there that require a ton more "self restraint" than hosting a sports talk show.

turners56
07-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Until you went through about your second losing streak listening to these idiots (and I apologize to all the idiots of the world).

I don't get paid to flame "idiots" on the official White Sox boards who constantly want to trade John Danks for the likes of Willy Taveras.

october23sp
07-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Self restraint to what?

It's a sports talk show, their 1 million other jobs out there that require a ton more "self restraint" than hosting a sports talk show.

Hosting a sports talk show is a dream job. Very easy and not having to deal with stress other then just the occansional loss of a favored team.

soltrain21
07-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Hosting a sports talk show is a dream job. Very easy and not having to deal with stress other then just the occansional loss of a favored team.

That's not entirely true.

turners56
07-20-2008, 01:07 AM

Not when you can't tollerate idiots.

october23sp
07-20-2008, 01:08 AM
That's not entirely true.

Compared to some other very very stressful jobs it is but I am a student and my job is coaching youth baseball.:D:

So I shouldn't really talk about the subject of how hard jobs are.

BUMMER
07-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I have nothing personal against the Ranger. Yes, the whiners and crybabies turn me off. It seems there are others in this thread that also feel Ranger's attitude to those whose criticize is hard to take. It comes to the surface when callers make valid opinions (eg - the Sox may be better with Swish at 1B than in CF) and Ranger replies in a tone that doesn't even even give that caller the slightest consideration of having a valid point. Sure the whiners are hard to take - but for the ones who just want to voice an opinion on the roster or game situation moves or the like, Ranger is the one not listening.

Martinigirl
07-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Self restraint to what?

Well the fact that I would most likely tell a caller a night to get their head out of their ass, I am impressed that he doesn't.

And yes, I know there are more challenging and stressful jobs that require more self restraint, I probably have one, but for the job that HE has and the people HE has to deal with, I think think he does a good job not blowing up at people and telling them off.

Clearly, you disagree. :smile:

Martinigirl
07-20-2008, 01:16 AM
I have nothing personal against the Ranger. Yes, the whiners and crybabies turn me off. It seems there are others in this thread that also feel Ranger's attitude to those whose criticize is hard to take. It comes to the surface when callers make valid opinions (eg - the Sox may be better with Swish at 1B than in CF) and Ranger replies in a tone that doesn't even even give that caller the slightest consideration of having a valid point. Sure the whiners are hard to take - but for the ones who just want to voice an opinion on the roster or game situation moves or the like, Ranger is the one not listening.

I guess I just don't get that from Ranger. To me it sounds like you are describing Boers and Bernstein, who I think are totally condescending and rude to their callers for no reason whatsoever. They seem to exist to mock and use their callers to justify the pedestals they have put themselves on. I have never felt that way about Ranger.

fquaye149
07-20-2008, 01:16 AM

Here's what it boils down to--the kind of person who calls into a ****ing AM sports radio show is a sad pathetic type of person. But it's still your core audience.

That's gotta be pretty heartbreaking to them to be shot down so roundly.

I don't mean to pick a side in the "let's pretend everything's ok" or "one loss signals everything that could be wrong with this team IS wrong" debate. BUt I will say this. It's kind of mean to be so curt with the developmentally disabled (i.e. the kind of person who would call into an AM sports-talk radio show)

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 02:54 AM
Here's what it boils down to--the kind of person who calls into a ****ing AM sports radio show is a sad pathetic type of person. But it's still your core audience.

I don't mean to pick a side in the "let's pretend everything's ok" or "one loss signals everything that could be wrong with this team IS wrong" debate. BUt I will say this. It's kind of mean to be so curt with the developmentally disabled (i.e. the kind of person who would call into an AM sports-talk radio show)

I stop listening to the pre and post game show for this same reason. The callers are as dumb as a brick, but then when the host loses his profesionalism .... that makes things very awkward in my book.

And this goes all the way back to the days of Dave Wils. Keep it profesional is all I ask for. Sometimes his agenda against the team from the North Side got a bit too childish for me, especially when he would report a loss for that team.

whitesox901
07-20-2008, 04:11 AM
Theese games happen, no need to **** the beds, go get em tommarow and win the series, and besides we cant go 81-0 at home and we can't only lose 1 game all year to KC...

TornLabrum
07-20-2008, 07:50 AM

And that's why all of us are sports talk show hosts...because it's so easy. Tell you what. Go out and audition tomorrow and report back on how you did.

TornLabrum
07-20-2008, 07:55 AM

I doubt if the core audience is the callers. In fact I would presume that no more than 1% of the audience calls in. I have about as much patience to the doomsayers who call the postgame show as I do for the same types here at WSI. In fact I have all I can do to read the postgame threads after the Sox lose because of all the crap that gets spouted here.

There are a lot of times where I get through a few of those posts and decide to leave before I blow my stack and probably do something that would violate the rules here. The same is true on the postgame show. Many nights I just turn it off when I here the first moron call in. How Chris puts up with it night after night amazes me.

ms620
07-20-2008, 08:52 AM
I had to miss the game, and I guess it was a good one to miss. Keep this in mind: The sox are not going to go 17-1 against the royals this year. In 2005, the best record the sox had against a central opponent was 14-5. The Sox are now 6-2 against KC this year. Obviously, is it very important for the Sox to get to about 13 or 14 wins against KC. But even so, they most likely will still lose 3 or 4 more against them. I am just glad this was not a game that after it was over, we are all saying they should or could of won. Poor defense, poor bullpen pitching, plus the other teams starter dominating is a recipe for a loss. Its gonna happen. Move on and take the series today.

KyWhiSoxFan
07-20-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm not that concerned about the loss. You lose games.

I'm concerned that the Sox have allowed 14 runs in two games vs. KC. Couple that with their last series in Texas, in which they gave up 26 runs in three games (24 earned), and you have a bad stretch of five games.

If the Sox are going to win the division, it is going to be--and have to be--with pitching. The Sox pitchers need to get back on track.

TomBradley72
07-20-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't like Swisher in CF at all...a bad route early in the game leads to a double...he's a step slower than our alternatives...and loses another step due to jumps/routes....when he's hitting ~.230's...it's not worth it.
I think it's time to move AJ further down the order....slow footed ~.280's hitters don't belong in the #2 slot. It was the right move at the time, but it's time to make another adjustment.
Between Jenks and Linebink's health and the recent preformances of Vazquez, Contreras and Masset...about 40% of our staff right now is making me very nervous.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I guess I just don't get that from Ranger. To me it sounds like you are describing Boers and Bernstein, who I think are totally condescending and rude to their callers for no reason whatsoever. They seem to exist to mock and use their callers to justify the pedestals they have put themselves on. I have never felt that way about Ranger.

I agree. B&B will just laugh, hang up and make fun of callers. When Rongey gets curt it's out of exasperation with someone (often drunk) who just keeps rambling. How many times do you have to tell someone for instance that no one is going to trade for Konerko or Thome or that Josh Fields isn't going to solve all our problems? The same callers likely listen every night and know what Ranger's opinion's going to be. For sports talk radio, he's pretty restrained. And for people who would love his job, I've found that nothing is as easy as it looks.

turners56
07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
I agree. B&B will just laugh, hang up and make fun of callers. When Rongey gets curt it's out of exasperation with someone (often drunk) who just keeps rambling. How many times do you have to tell someone for instance that no one is going to trade for Konerko or Thome or that Josh Fields isn't going to solve all our problems? The same callers likely listen every night and know what Ranger's opinion's going to be. For sports talk radio, he's pretty restrained. And for people who would love his job, I've found that nothing is as easy as it looks.

Speaking of B&B, how bout Abattacola's harsh reactions the day after the All-Star break?

kitekrazy
07-20-2008, 01:46 PM

Far from it. Those people have bosses called producers. You have to do things their way whether you like it or not. It's always your fault for bad ratings even if your show is on a Sunday at 4:30 a.m.

Some people think David Letterman only works an hour a day.

champagne030
07-20-2008, 02:02 PM

Oswaldo gave up in a 3-1 game....maybe it was the right move because he knew we weren't going to score against them stepping into the bucket on every pitch, while your head and shoulder are in the dugout. :(:

It's Dankerific
07-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't like Swisher in CF at all...a bad route early in the game leads to a double...he's a step slower than our alternatives...and loses another step due to jumps/routes....when he's hitting ~.230's...it's not worth it.

We lost 9-1, Swisher missing a double didn't cost us the game, we need more offense if we need to score 10 runs a game.