PDA

View Full Version : The Grobber - GONE

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2001, 01:10 PM
Wow, what a stunner. From today's Cubune:

"Bounced: Les Grobstein is out at WSCR-AM 670 after an incident regarding the use of a press pass. WSCR general manager Harvey Wells declined to comment about Grobstein's dismissal, and details remained sketchy.

Grobstein, WSCR's overnight host for 4 1/2 years, said the problem occurred at a recent sporting event when he gave a freelancer a credential designated for sister station WXRT-FM 93.1. He insisted he merely wanted the freelancer to help him tape interviews for his show. Grobstein declined to identify the freelancer or the event.

Grobstein says there is nothing more to the story, but sources indicate otherwise. Considering WSCR wanted him back with a new deal, it would seem rather harsh that the station would fire him over his version of the incident.

Whatever the reason, Grobstein is sad to be leaving WSCR.

"The whole thing is like marrying the beauty queen and she treats you great," Grobstein said. "Then one day you're late for dinner by 15 minutes and she says she wants a divorce."

There has been speculation that WSCR would go with a nationally syndicated overnight show, but the station indicated it would remain local."

__

Does anyone have any other dirt on this topic? AFAIK, Les is the longest-running sports radio guy in Chicago (I remember him from Steve & Garry's show in the mid-'80s). Cub fan or not, he was always a font of knowledge about this city's sports history. (And, in fact, I'm reading the book "Stealing First in a Two-Team Town: The White Sox from Comiskey to Reinsdorf" these days, and Les was the sole sports reporter from Chicago who really stood up for the Sox when it appeared they were going to shipped to St. Petersburg.) I'm sure he'll end up somewhere else, though I don't think AM1000 really has any room for another local show.

If anyone knows more about this, I'd appreciate some news.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:13 PM
If anyone knows more about this, I'd appreciate some news.

Yes I have some send me an email at

sellhigh22@yahoo.com

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 01:26 PM
From what they said on the radio last night, he took a lady-friend to the all-star game with him and gave her a press-pass that wasn't really hers. Then she left a sweater or something there and they mailed it back to the person who the pass really belonged. Then it was found out what he did.

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2001, 01:30 PM
And that's worth firing a 4-1/2 year overnight veteran reporter for?

Wow. They must have wanted to vacate that slot, or something.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:32 PM

It was more of a money decision.

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 01:33 PM
And that's worth firing a 4-1/2 year overnight veteran reporter for?

It does look like they wanted him gone and were just looking for an excuse. And that is a tough spot to be in.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:35 PM
It does look like they wanted him gone and were just looking for an excuse. And that is a tough spot to be in.

You are right on West, after taking to him I found out it was about money. They didn't want to pay him more of it so he got the boot.

Iwritecode
08-03-2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

You are right on West, after taking to him I found out it was about money. They didn't want to pay him more of it so he got the boot.

:keith

That would suck...

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 01:43 PM
I'm sure you will be just fine Keith.

Randar68
08-03-2001, 02:24 PM
I'm sure he'll end up somewhere else, though I don't think AM1000 really has any room for another local show.

Well, Personally, I could care less if they ever play Dan Patrick's show twice in a day anyways....

I'd rather have a local guy doing it, that's for sure....although I really don't want to listen to a Cubs fan, period....

cheeses_h_rice
08-03-2001, 03:00 PM
I have to say, I almost never tune into AM1000 except to listen to the Sox pre-/postgame shows, and occasionally the games if I happen to be driving when they're on.

Canellis and Simonson was a poor man's version of "The Man Show," so I was happy to see it go. Dan McNeil and Harry Teinowitz (or "Tiny Wits," as Steve Dahl calls him) are my de facto panic button to hit when Jiggetts & whomever (usually Buffone) start to moo and oink way too much over footbal (which they do A LOT), but other than that, I don't think there's much to listen to on AM1000, and that includes Dan Patrick's show.

Come to think of it, with the Sox tanking this year, I've definitely spent less time overall on sports radio in this city, which I suppose is natural.

DVG
08-03-2001, 05:14 PM
The Score fired Les Grobstein?? You have got to be kidding me!
He was the classiest thing going on that station!! Sure, he's a Cub fan, but so what? He always gave props to the Sox when
they deserved it. I'm surprised.

Even worse is that they fired a class act like him, but still have
that lame-brained, numbskulled idiot "Pee-yaaa-py" North on
there. Oh, brother. Talk about screwed-up priorites. I wish
Grobstein well and I will switch to the next station that hires him.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 05:26 PM
The Score fired Les Grobstein?? You have got to be kidding me!

Nope it is true, but as was stated earlier it was more of a money thing then anything else.

Even worse is that they fired a class act like him, but still have that lame-brained, numbskulled idiot "Pee-yaaa-py" North on there. Oh, brother. Talk about screwed-up priorites. I wish
Grobstein well and I will switch to the next station that hires him.

:ass
My first name is Mike but I am a lame brain.