PDA

View Full Version : What would you prefer?

doublem23
07-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Obviously everyone (except for maybe you, ma-gaga), wants the Sox to win the division, but would you prefer that the Twins or Tigers make a late season push for the division, a la the Indians in 2005, to keep the team in meaningful, competitive games for the rest of the season, or do you want the Sox to open up a big lead and pretty much wrap up the Central crown with plenty of games to spare? The benefit here is that you'd be able to rest your young arms like Floyd and Danks a bit more and freshen their arms a bit for the play-off purge, give some veterans a bit of rest before the play-offs, and maybe even work with Contreras a bit more and see if you can't find his arm for October.

So what do you think?

Mohoney
07-19-2008, 06:39 AM
I would much rather run away with it. In such a case, the last week can be used to line up our pitching staff exactly the way we want it for the playoffs.

SBSoxFan
07-19-2008, 08:27 AM
I would much rather run away with it. In such a case, the last week can be used to line up our pitching staff exactly the way we want it for the playoffs.

Both. :D: I'd prefer they play meaningful games late into the season, but have the division locked up a week or so before the season ends so they can still get things set up going into the playoffs. Going through the motions for the better part of a month is rarely conducive to doing well in the playoffs.

DumpJerry
07-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Having someone almost nipping the heels will benefit the Sox in the playoffs because they will enter the season sharp.

Carlton Fisk and other members of the 1983 team said they lost their sharpness in September that year because of their huge lead. It really showed in the series against the O's not to mention they were no hit by a no-name pitcher from Oakland in the last week of the season.

WisSoxFan
07-19-2008, 09:36 AM
It depens. If you're guaranteeing the Sox are going to win the division even with two teams nipping at their heals I'll take that option. Baseball games with meaning in late Sept. are always fun. If there is no guarantee then I'll take the Sox running away with it as it easier on my stomach.:D:

SoxGirl4Life
07-19-2008, 09:45 AM
I'd prefer that they run away with the division. For my own health.

However, I wouldn't mind it being a close race as long as it didn't depend on us winning in the BaggyDome.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Having someone almost nipping the heels will benefit the Sox in the playoffs because they will enter the season sharp.

Carlton Fisk and other members of the 1983 team said they lost their sharpness in September that year because of their huge lead. It really showed in the series against the O's not to mention they were no hit by a no-name pitcher from Oakland in the last week of the season.
Exactly. A race keeps the team sharp and focused.

voodoochile
07-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Clinch the playoff birth as fast as possible. It's a veteran squad, it's not going to go in the crapper because the last two weeks don't matter.

TommyJohn
07-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Rock and a hard place here. On the one hand, those two games against Cleveland at the Cell (the first one, and the JOE! CREDE! game) were two of the most thrilling games I've ever seen. So games like that would be fun. BUT, September 2005 was WAY too stressful! I vote for run away with division.

ChiSoxFan7
07-19-2008, 12:01 PM
i think clinching 2 weeks before the end of the season would be nice. i know that keeping it close keep you on your toes...but it can also wear those toes out so you have nothing left in the tank for the postseason.

i'd like to be able to rest all of our starters because 2 haven't dealt with the postseason stress, 2 have been there once before and 1 eats innings (or atleast throws enough pitches) for dinner. so....comon white sox magic number 60! (i think)

MarySwiss
07-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd prefer that they run away with the division. For my own health.

However, I wouldn't mind it being a close race as long as it didn't depend on us winning in the BaggyDome.

My thoughts exactly! I remember how nerve-wracking that Cleveland push was in '05. And having to win it in that stinking dome would be my second-worse nightmare. (The first one should be pretty obvious and is no doubt shared by many Sox fans who know Cubs fans.)

JGarlandrules20
07-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, I'd obviously prefer knowing we had the division sewn up now.. but I think we'll need the competition so we don't fall flat on our face in October. If we make it there, we'll be up against some strong teams.

As horrible as Cleveland's late run made me feel, I think that was our biggest blessing in disguise in 2005.

SALUKIS15
07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I have to go with the race going down to the wire. Remember in 2000 when we built up that huge lead and basically coasted into the post season going .500 in the last 20 games. In '05 we wnt 12-8 in the last 20 games but the difference was ending the season on a 5 game win streak. You want to be playing your best ball of the season going into October and I think the only way that can be done is by not coasting into the end of the season.

TDog
07-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Plenty of teams win close races and fall flat in the postseason. The 2006 Twins beat the Tigers by one game in a great division race before losing three straight to the A's, who limped into the postseason losing three of four to the second-place Angels to end up winning the division by four games. The Tigers, a team that collapsed down the stretch, ended up going to the World Series, where they collapsed again. The 2000 Yankees lost their last seven games and lost 13 of their last 15. They ended up winning the World Series in five games for their last title to date.

I want to see the White Sox win today. I will want to see the White Sox win tomorrow. I want to see them win in October. I want them to guarantee they have that chance as soon as they can.

thomas35forever
07-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Prefer? Whoops. I thought it said what would happen? Too bad I can't change it now.

October26
07-19-2008, 04:38 PM
I voted for run away with the division - but I know it is unrealistic. Kudos to Chris Rongey for mentioning this poll on the White Sox weekly show today.

I hear what you are saying Chris - it is going to be a battle with those Twins until the last out of the season! Go Sox!

whitesox901
07-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Id rather just have it all won asap, sure if you compare the results between the two i.e 2000 v. 2005, but the way the Twins been playing, best just hope they can win and get it over with and just chill around

soxstarter
07-20-2008, 11:09 AM

I was just about to say the same thing here. Also heard Rongey bring it up on the show yesterday. I heard one caller come on but he hijacked the topic to talk about PK. After that I had to go. Did anybody else hear how or if the conversation regarding this thread ended?

getonbckthr
07-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I would like a dominant lead come mid-September. So then we can split time between Crede and Fields. PK and Thome get a Barry Bonds lineup treatment and only play 2 out of every 3.

soxfanreggie
07-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Run away with it...get some guys a little bit of rest. It will help them recharge a bit and most likely won't take away from their edge.