PDA

View Full Version : Minnnesota Road Trip

kruzer31
07-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Im goin the the tuesday July 29th game in MIN, can someone tell me if the White Sox bullpen is on the 3rd base line or the 1st base line. Thanks

Jeff

Nellie_Fox
07-19-2008, 02:00 AM
First base line.

october23sp
07-19-2008, 03:09 AM
yeah first. I was guna go to that series but I have a football camp.:(:

white sox bill
07-19-2008, 09:37 AM
First base line.
Isn't it a general rule that visiting teams dugout and bullpen are on first base side?

Kub_Killer_15
07-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I'll be in section 134 on the 28th and section 220 on the 29th. You will most likely see me with a Pierzynski jersey and a 5 foot White Sox flag when the the Sox score. I know for sure with that jersey and flag I will be loved up there.:cool:

Horvzilla
07-19-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm headed up there for all four games. I'll be in section 101 on the 29th. Hopefully, my buddy gets a few signs so we can have a sign that says in loving memory of ursula.

Any recommendations for bars and eats for Bloomington and Minneapolis? I'm staying at the Radisson in Bloomington for two and the Hyatt for two.

cbone
07-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm headed up there for all four games. I'll be in section 101 on the 29th. Hopefully, my buddy gets a few signs so we can have a sign that says in loving memory of ursula.

Any recommendations for bars and eats for Bloomington and Minneapolis? I'm staying at the Radisson in Bloomington for two and the Hyatt for two.

http://www.marketbbq.com/index1.html

This place was awesome. Great BBQ and not too far.

UofCSoxFan
07-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Isn't it a general rule that visiting teams dugout and bullpen are on first base side?

For the most part, yes, but not always. Off the top of my head, I know the Yankees are on the first base side at home.

Nellie_Fox
07-20-2008, 01:26 AM

Any recommendations for bars and eats for Bloomington and Minneapolis? I'm staying at the Radisson in Bloomington for two and the Hyatt for two.Joe Senser's (http://www.sensers.com/) in Bloomington is pretty much "can't miss" for a good sports bar and grill.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 03:17 AM
The Twin Cities are very nice in the Summer. Very nice downtown IMO and that's where the stadium is located.

Mall of America is always where I stay close by.

Sockinchisox
07-20-2008, 03:22 AM
For the most part, yes, but not always. Off the top of my head, I know the Yankees are on the first base side at home.

The Brewers are on the 1st base side as well.

Nellie_Fox
07-20-2008, 03:31 AM
The Twin Cities are very nice in the Summer. Very nice downtown IMO and that's where the stadium is located.

Mall of America is always where I stay close by.The Minneapolis downtown and the St. Paul downtown are two totally different places. There is no "Twin Cities downtown." The Metrodome is in Minneapolis. The Mall of America is in Bloomington.

LoveYourSuit
07-20-2008, 03:43 AM
The Minneapolis downtown and the St. Paul downtown are two totally different places. There is no "Twin Cities downtown." The Metrodome is in Minneapolis. The Mall of America is in Bloomington.

Thanks for the Geography lesson.

I never mentioned anything about a "Twin City" downtown.

I said that the Twin Cities (both St Paul and Minn) are nice in the summer.

The Twins ballpark is located in downtown Minn, and downtown Minn I find it to be a very nice downtown.

Mall of America is indeed located in Bloomington, which is south of Downtown Minn.

Trust me, I've been there for business at least 20+ times and know my way around.

Nellie_Fox
07-20-2008, 03:47 AM
I never mentioned anything about a "Twin City" downtown.Re-read your own post. The Twin Cities are very nice in the Summer. Very nice downtown IMO If that isn't referring to a "Twin Cities downtown," I don't know what is.

whitesox901
07-20-2008, 04:09 AM
Maybe its the Lake Erie Water, or maybe its the fact that its 4:08 am, but I kinda want to see a game Sox @ Twinkies/Ninjas[PH8 (http://palehose8.blogspot.com/)] at the Dome before the Twins Ballpark opens and have my own roadtrip.

chaotic8512
07-20-2008, 04:52 AM
The Brewers are on the 1st base side as well.

I'll add one more to that... Tampa Bay.

I guess the point was already made, though. Oh well. :redneck

TCentral
07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
I would stay downtown Minneapolis unless Mall of America is one of your main destinations.

Either way you can ride the lightrail train for $1.50 (oneway) from MOA/Bloomington to Downtown or vice-versa. Easy trip to pull off without a vehicle.

Its just that the trains last run is like 1:30 AM. So if you plan on shutting the downtown bars down it makes more sense to stay there and save the $25 cab ride.

AZChiSoxFan
07-21-2008, 11:37 AM
The Minneapolis downtown and the St. Paul downtown are two totally different places. There is no "Twin Cities downtown." The Metrodome is in Minneapolis. The Mall of America is in Bloomington.

I have a question for you. I've been to Minneapolis, but only for a day or two and that was a long time ago. In the recently released Money Magazine listing of best places to live (cities < 250K people), I noticed that there were about 6 or 7 suburbs of M/St.P on the list. So, it seems like it would be a nice area to live.

Anyway, my question (really broad question) is this: Can you give me a short list of the pros and cons (yes, I know it gets very cold in the winter) of living in the area? I assume some of the burbs are nice, but what about d-town Minn and downtown St. Paul? Are they nice or are they kind of dead? Is their any type of commuter train system in the area? I know where the HHH Metrodome is but doesn't either the NBA or NHL team play in St.P? I hate to ask a question that leads to generalizations, but how would you describe the differences (if any) between Minneapolis and St.P?

Thanks for the info.

UofCSoxFan
07-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I have a question for you. I've been to Minneapolis, but only for a day or two and that was a long time ago. In the recently released Money Magazine listing of best places to live (cities < 250K people), I noticed that there were about 6 or 7 suburbs of M/St.P on the list. So, it seems like it would be a nice area to live.

Anyway, my question (really broad question) is this: Can you give me a short list of the pros and cons (yes, I know it gets very cold in the winter) of living in the area? I assume some of the burbs are nice, but what about d-town Minn and downtown St. Paul? Are they nice or are they kind of dead? Is their any type of commuter train system in the area? I know where the HHH Metrodome is but doesn't either the NBA or NHL team play in St.P? I hate to ask a question that leads to generalizations, but how would you describe the differences (if any) between Minneapolis and St.P?

Thanks for the info.

I was born in Minneapolis, and lived in Bloomington for my first two years on this planet. I still have a bunch of family up there (Twins fans unfortunately but what can you do) and visit about once a year.

I can't speak much to the city proper other than it in many ways is a scaled back version of Chicago. The architecture isn't as great and the night life is slower but certainly there (bars close at 1 or 2 I think and there are less of them) but the Cities have a lot of culture, museums, parks, etc...St. Paul is the state capital and seems a little slower than Minneapolis which is the more vibrant, "young people" city. Most of the U of M is in Minneapolis as well.

If you like outdoor life, Minnesota is right there. The land of 10,000 lakes (there are actually a lot more) is beautiful. The summers are a little cooler than Chicago (which is probably welcomed) and the winters are a little colder and last probabably a couple weeks longer...although they got substantially less snow than Chicago this year. If you like hiking, skiing, hunting, snowmobiling, etc...there are plenty of opportunities.

Of the burbs, they remind me a lot of what you would see in Chicago. I have realitives in Edina, Bloomington, and Woodbury, all of which are very nice.

The people there are pretty nice as well, as I find is typical of Midwestern cities....although they don't like the White Sox too much.

pmck003
07-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the info.

- I grew up living in both Chicago and Minneapolis (back in Minneapolis right now for awhile).
Pros: - Lots of lakes around. Nice for the summer, good for the winter if you like ice fishing/snowmobiling/cross country skiing.

Cons: Public transportation. They've got a light rail going between downtown and the airport/mall of america, but that is it. Taxi service can be slow. - There is a decent amount of bike trails.

Traditionally St. Paul has a much slower/quieter downtown, but it sounds like it may have picked up some. The NHL's Wild play in St. Paul. Minneapolis has the majority of its nightlife packed into a few blocks and it can be fun but I don't think its anything special. If you wanna try something different at night, this place is usually a good time: http://nyespolonaise.com/

If anyone coming up has a chance, let me know what you think of this pizza: http://www.punchpizza.com/ I think its real good

AZChiSoxFan
07-21-2008, 12:49 PM
UofCSoxFan and pmck003, thanks for the informative responses.

BlackAndWhite
07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
If anyone coming up has a chance, let me know what you think of this pizza: http://www.punchpizza.com/ I think its real good

Definitely in the top 3 pizza joints (if not the top) in the Twin Cities area. I recommend the one on Cleveland Ave in the Highland area of St. Paul. I always go with the Lombardi calzone: Ham, buffalo cheese*, basil, mushroom.

*buffalo cheese is a $1 option, but well worth it

KenBerryGrab
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
If you sit down by the Sox bullpen, you will be among friendly faces.

We've been there many times. After our son attended his first game, the bullpen tossed us -- Sox fans in gear -- a keepsake ball.

But, damn, that place is depressing in the middle of summer. It's a great July day for baseball! Let's go inside!

There's a dank smell. Your ears pop when you leave (thanks to the pressurized air that keeps the dome inflated). The hot dogs are terrible.

UofCSoxFan
07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
If you sit down by the Sox bullpen, you will be among friendly faces.

We've been there many times. After our son attended his first game, the bullpen tossed us -- Sox fans in gear -- a keepsake ball.

But, damn, that place is depressing in the middle of summer. It's a great July day for baseball! Let's go inside!

There's a dank smell. Your ears pop when you leave (thanks to the pressurized air that keeps the dome inflated). The hot dogs are terrible.

The stadium is probalby the worst in baseball and won't be missed. I think Twins fans will agree. I've been there for football too and it's slightly better since the seats actually face the field, but it still is bad.

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2008, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the info.The answers you've received above are better than any I can give you. I live in Mankato/North Mankato, which is about 80 miles southwest of Minneapolis. I've never lived in the Twin Cities, just go up there from time to time for events or an occasional dinner.

I'm no expert, but kind of like the "feel" of St. Paul a little better. It has more of a "neighborhood" sense about it. The shopping and restaurants on Grand Avenue are a lot of fun.

The Metrodome is just a terrible place to watch baseball. It's like being in an upside-down concrete bowl. Everthing is exposed gray concrete. And watch out for the pressure when you leave. If you aren't braced for it as you start to head out the doors, it will blow you off your feet.

BlackHat91
07-22-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm no expert, but kind of like the "feel" of St. Paul a little better. It has more of a "neighborhood" sense about it.

This is why I choose to live in St. Paul instead of Minneapolis.

The shopping and restaurants on Grand Avenue are a lot of fun.

Grand Ave is awesome in the summer. I actually live about a block away from Grand. Highly recommended, more so during the daytime when all the stores are open.

I really wouldn't recommend for anybody from out of town to waste their time at the MOA (Mall of America). It's just all the chain stores you've ever seen in every mall around the country. Literally. There's about 2 unique stores in the whole place. It's ok with kids, because of the theme park, but otherwise don't waste your time.

Minneapolis and St. Paul both have a lot to offer, day and night.

Check out these sites for things to do/places to eat:
http://www.citypages.com/
http://vita.mn/

BlackHat91
07-22-2008, 03:06 AM
Also have to say, don't expect much to do directly around the metrodump. You have to walk a ways to get anywhere interesting.

07-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Grand Ave is awesome in the summer. I actually live about a block away from Grand. Highly recommended, more so during the daytime when all the stores are open.

I really wouldn't recommend for anybody from out of town to waste their time at the MOA (Mall of America). It's just all the chain stores you've ever seen in every mall around the country. Literally. There's about 2 unique stores in the whole place. It's ok with kids, because of the theme park, but otherwise don't waste your time.

Minneapolis and St. Paul both have a lot to offer, day and night.

Check out these sites for things to do/places to eat:
http://www.citypages.com/
http://vita.mn/

I love Grand Avenue in St. Paul, it's perfect for a 6-8 block stroll, there are plenty of places to eat/drink, and lots of stores if you're with someone who likes to shop.

To me, the most interesting thing about the Mall of America is the old Metropolitan Stadium home plate in the midst of Camp Snoopy, the amusement park on the ground floor. Also, the Harmon Killebrew home run chair that's mounted high up on a wall about 500 feet from the home plate plaque.

A favorite of mine in downtown Minneapolis is Gluek's Restaurant and Bar, www.glueks.com (http://www.glueks.com) . It's been around forever. All sorts of German specialties and lots of beer on tap. Walking distance to the Target Center and the Hump Dome.

Walker29
07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
There is a bar/restaraunt near the convention center called The News Room, good beer and really good wings. Not sure the exact address but I went there twice during a conference about a year ago. (I watched Buehrle's no-no at the MOA, btw).

ChicagoRushFan
07-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Was just up there for the Brewers series a month ago or so. The Loon Cafe, near the Target Center is a great bar. I stayed in Eagan, it is on the southside near the Mall of America area. I used priceline and bid $25 for a 2* hotel. It was great! It was a Homestead extended stay, with a fridge, stove, etc. Two nights for 50 bucks was a great deal.

I'd also recommend, if you are staying near the mall and aren't planning on coming back really late, park in the Mall of America lot, for free, and take the train up to the park. We didn't do that, and wish we did. Save on parking, gas, etc.

When I was up there for the Brewers series I went with the General Admission seats. Great value! You don't have to get in that early to get a good seat either. I'd say 30 minutes before first pitch and you can have the pick of the seats not in the first three rows. The regulars get there when the gates open and put newspapers over the seats. General admission is anything in the outfield between the polls. I sat in right field over the baggy, you can't see right field but you feel pretty close to the infield.

You also might have good luck with scalpers too. It is legal in MN, so they are lots, but most are near the outdoor plaza area. For an Indiana-Minnesota football game I got two tickets ten rows from the field on the 25 for 35 dollars. And I think if I waited closer to kickoff it would have been much cheaper. But who can turn down hearing Minnesota Rouser during intros? :smile:

I'm not a Twin Cities expert, but the few times I've gone I've really enjoyed myself.

And yes, the Metrodome isn't a great place to watch the game. But if you take it for what it is, it is fun. Nice not worrying about rain, makes the trip worth it. And with gas prices.... that guarantee is key. Also, the Twins sell the BEST scorecard I've ever seen.

Here are a few pictures, first is the view from right field. Second is, well, something you just don't see every day.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk190/ValleyLodge/MilwaukeeBrewersatMinnesotaTwins-1.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk190/ValleyLodge/MilwaukeeBrewersatMinnesotaTwins200.jpg

TCentral
07-24-2008, 01:40 AM
I was born in Minneapolis, and lived in Bloomington for my first two years on this planet. I still have a bunch of family up there (Twins fans unfortunately but what can you do) and visit about once a year.

I can't speak much to the city proper other than it in many ways is a scaled back version of Chicago. The architecture isn't as great and the night life is slower but certainly there (bars close at 1 or 2 I think and there are less of them) but the Cities have a lot of culture, museums, parks, etc...St. Paul is the state capital and seems a little slower than Minneapolis which is the more vibrant, "young people" city. Most of the U of M is in Minneapolis as well.

If you like outdoor life, Minnesota is right there. The land of 10,000 lakes (there are actually a lot more) is beautiful. The summers are a little cooler than Chicago (which is probably welcomed) and the winters are a little colder and last probabably a couple weeks longer...although they got substantially less snow than Chicago this year. If you like hiking, skiing, hunting, snowmobiling, etc...there are plenty of opportunities.

Of the burbs, they remind me a lot of what you would see in Chicago. I have realitives in Edina, Bloomington, and Woodbury, all of which are very nice.

The people there are pretty nice as well, as I find is typical of Midwestern cities....although they don't like the White Sox too much.

Chicago feels colder in both winter and summer from my experiences. Its actually probably a few degrees warmer but it feels colder. Minnesota gets less snow year after year than Chicago on average... i dont feel like looking but pretty sure its proven. Ive never understood why people all associate Minnesota with cold weather when its not much different than any midwestern cities.... unless you go way up north but nobody really lives up there anyway.

Bars close at 2 (unless its during the Republican National Convention coming up.... I think its going to be like 5AM) and there are plenty of bars/clubs of all kinds in Minneapolis. Lots of culture in Minneapolis. Like any city there are places to avoid. Downtown St. Paul is pretty dead most of the time.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Chicago feels colder in both winter and summer from my experiences. Its actually probably a few degrees warmer but it feels colder. Minnesota gets less snow year after year than Chicago on average... i dont feel like looking but pretty sure its proven. Ive never understood why people all associate Minnesota with cold weather when its not much different than any midwestern cities.... unless you go way up north but nobody really lives up there anyway. On an average winter day, Mankato is about 10 colder than suburban Chicago. The twin cities are a little warmer because of the "urban heat island" effect. However, I've found the winter-time humidity to be much lower in Minnesota, so we don't get that "to the bone" chill that I always used to get in Chicago.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2008, 08:04 AM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk190/ValleyLodge/MilwaukeeBrewersatMinnesotaTwins200.jpg

"Love Your Liver Day," sponsored by Bud Light. :rolling: