PDA

View Full Version : AOL disses Comiskey

LuvChiSox
05-09-2002, 03:39 PM
I was checking out the AOL local guide, and this is what they had to say about Comiskey Park:

Even in bad years, the Cubs are still Chicago's team and Wrigley Field is still the city's most beloved sporting venue. Their South Side rivals, the White Sox, are often left to draw fans from their shadow and convince them that Comiskey Park is as good a place to catch a game.

The old Comiskey Park, razed in the early 90s, is hardly missed. The new park has more facilities, less obstructed views and more luxury boxes. The seats are also more comfortable and access to the vendors is easier. Most of the problems from the old park have been erased, but even in the new stadium, the cheap seats remain cheap.

By making room for the concourses, the upper deck now sits higher than it did in the old park. This makes for some good views of Lake Michigan, but even the Big Hurt isn't so big from the high altitudes. With rising ticket prices and losing seasons , the park has had a hard time filling these seats. --Patrick Delahunty

Best Bet for Parking: The surrounding neighborhood makes many fans feel unsafe about getting to the park. There is parking, though. Cash customers and fans holding a prepaid green coupon exit at 35th Street and follow signs to "Sox Parking." Fans holding a red parking coupon exit at 31st street and follow signs for "Red Coupons."

Best Way to Get to the Park: Take the CTA Red Line El to the Sox/35th Street stop. The park is right there. And taking the train allows you to have a few beers without worrying about driving home.

Best Food at the Park: Connie's Chicago- style pizza . A taste of Chicago and good Chicago baseball. What more could you ask for?

Typical garbage--their source for this drivel was probably a cubune employee.

moochpuppy
05-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by LuvChiSox
With rising ticket prices and losing seasons , the park has had a hard time filling these seats. --Patrick Delahunty

Hey Patrick, get an f'n clue. New Comiskey has only seen 4 losing seasons in 11 years. In those "losing" seasons the Sox were still a respectable 303-325, .482.

Moron!!

:moron

"You rang?"

Randar68
05-09-2002, 03:55 PM
I was checking out the AOL local guide, and this is what they had to say about Comiskey Park:

Even in bad years, the Cubs are still Chicago's team and Wrigley Field is still the city's most beloved sporting venue. Their South Side rivals, the White Sox, are often left to draw fans from their shadow and convince them that Comiskey Park is as good a place to catch a game.

The old Comiskey Park, razed in the early 90s, is hardly missed. The new park has more facilities, less obstructed views and more luxury boxes. The seats are also more comfortable and access to the vendors is easier. Most of the problems from the old park have been erased, but even in the new stadium, the cheap seats remain cheap.

By making room for the concourses, the upper deck now sits higher than it did in the old park. This makes for some good views of Lake Michigan, but even the Big Hurt isn't so big from the high altitudes. With rising ticket prices and losing seasons , the park has had a hard time filling these seats. --Patrick Delahunty

Best Bet for Parking: The surrounding neighborhood makes many fans feel unsafe about getting to the park. There is parking, though. Cash customers and fans holding a prepaid green coupon exit at 35th Street and follow signs to "Sox Parking." Fans holding a red parking coupon exit at 31st street and follow signs for "Red Coupons."

Best Way to Get to the Park: Take the CTA Red Line El to the Sox/35th Street stop. The park is right there. And taking the train allows you to have a few beers without worrying about driving home.

Best Food at the Park: Connie's Chicago- style pizza . A taste of Chicago and good Chicago baseball. What more could you ask for?

Typical garbage--their source for this drivel was probably a cubune employee.

Apparently they never tried the Polish!

Chisox353014
05-09-2002, 03:58 PM
It's sad to say, but most travel guides and websites I've looked at pretty much parrot what this loser wrote.

Cheryl
05-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Well, whenever anyone using my computer lab is trying to access their AOL accounts and can't, I tell them that's because AOL is crap.

LuvChiSox
05-09-2002, 04:00 PM
I'm convinced that the cubune wrote that review. Here's what AOL says about the Northside hole:

No visit to Chicago is complete without an afternoon game at Wrigley Field. Chicago and baseball seem be synonymous in sports history. Home to the Chicago Cubs, this ballpark is legendary for its legacy of losing teams. (True fans will never forget the indelible memory of Harry Caray's gravely voice shouting, "Cubs win! Cubs win!")

Wrigley Field's ivy covered outfield walls distinguish it from ballparks across the nation. The manually operated scoreboard gives fans a reminder of days past. The intimate stands, commonly referred to as the "Friendly Confines," allow visitors to get involved in the action, and sometimes be the action. There is an understood rule among Chicago fans that homeruns hit into the bleachers by the opposing team must be thrown back.

The surrounding neighborhood, aptly named Wrigleyville, is home to many bars and clubs all devoted to supporting the Cubs and the sport. When a game is on the area takes on a liveliness as exciting as a St. Patrick’s Day Parade. -- Tara Bukow

Best Bet for Parking: Surrounding Wrigley Field are not the scads of parking garages you might expect around a major sporting arena. Expect to pay premium prices for parking at lots in the area, and the traffic is even worse. You're better off taking public transportation.

Best Way to get to the Park: Take the CTA Red Line El to the Addison stop. Walk west to the park and try to dodge the ticket scalpers.

Best Food at the Park: Chicago-style hot dogs and Connie's Chicago-style pizza are great stadium snacks. Check out Bar Louie for a Chicken Vesuvio sandwich or Brother Jimmy's for some BBQ after the game right nearby.

Cubs Season Overview: Look up the word "optimist" in the dictionary, and it will tell you to "See Cubs fans." But for the first time in years, the club's loyal fans might actually have a reason to look forward to the season. After surprising everyone with 88 victories last year, the Cubs upgraded their talent level at key positions, trying to end their 94-year-run without a World Series title. Moises Alou, one of the top RBI-producers in the National League, was signed away from Houston and placed in left field and behind Sammy Sosa in the batting order. Alou missed the first few weeks with an injury, but should be a major contributor. The Cubs also have Fred McGriff, the slugging first- baseman whom they picked up from Tampa Bay late last year, for :angry:
full season. When closer Tom Gordon went down before the season even began, Antonio Alfonseca was quickly picked up from Florida along with starter Matt Clement. It gives the Cubs good pitching balance and possibly one of the best starting rotations in the National League. As long as they don't dig themselves too deep of an early hole, the Cubs should contend with St. Louis and Houston for the National League Central. -- Scott Merkin

moochpuppy
05-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
It's sad to say, but most travel guides and websites I've looked at pretty much parrot what this loser wrote.

That putrid sludge isn't even good enough for a parrot to poop on.

moochpuppy
05-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Home to the Chicago Cubs, this ballpark is legendary for its legacy of losing teams.

Well, they got one right.

Chisox353014
05-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Just curious, what does their Sox season outlook say? Or did they even bother to post one?

I think I'll use their advice and go lay some money down on the Cubs. it sounds like they're gonna be pretty good this year!

cheeses_h_rice
05-09-2002, 04:20 PM
AOL, the Flubbies, Mom's basement, Spaghetti-o's, and Bozo's Circus -- they all go hand-in-hand for those afraid to venture outside their suburban/North Side cocoon.

:knue

I like Spaghetti-o's.

:moron

With weenies!

MarqSox
05-09-2002, 04:24 PM
This crap makes me REALLY tempted to sell my AOL Time Warner stock... incidentally, the crap has been on a downward slope since I bought it, so I guess I'll hold on and hope it comes back so I can break even.

CubKilla
05-09-2002, 04:38 PM
What Sox fan did they interview (if any) said that the Old Comiskey is "hardly missed"? Attendance was never an issue when Old Comiskey was hosting baseball games. And Bridgeport definitely had more character back then. But the AOL guide did get one thing right..... "the 'Friendly confines' allow visitors to get involved in the action, and sometimes be the action". I think Chad Kreuter and the LA Dodgers would agree with this.

Cheryl
05-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Attendance was never an issue when Old Comiskey was hosting baseball games.

Yes it was. You must not have been around for the 70s. I remember games where the place wasn't half full.

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
What Sox fan did they interview (if any) said that the Old Comiskey is "hardly missed"?
Well, they didn't ask me, but I must confess that while I have fond memories of days spent there, I don't have fond memories of the park. Too many days behind pillars, or so far up under the upper deck that I couldn't see the scoreboard. Too many days sitting sideways because I couldn't fit my knees in behind the seat in front of me. You guys think Wrigley smells like urine? Every time I walk into a taven men's room, I flash back to old Comiskey.

Originally posted by Cheryl
Yes it was. You must not have been around for the 70s. I remember games where the place wasn't half full.
There were games when I basically had my own beer vendor, there were so few people in the place. I could pull into the main lot outside the right field wall a half hour before game time and park a couple hundred feet from the ballpark.

Cheryl
05-09-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Well, they didn't ask me, but I must confess that while I have fond memories of days spent there, I don't have fond memories of the park. Too many days behind pillars, or so far up under the upper deck that I couldn't see the scoreboard. Too many days sitting sideways because I couldn't fit my knees in behind the seat in front of me. You guys think Wrigley smells like urine? Every time I walk into a taven men's room, I flash back to old Comiskey.

There were games when I basically had my own beer vendor, there were so few people in the place. I could pull into the main lot outside the right field wall a half hour before game time and park a couple hundred feet from the ballpark.

I'm not too sentimental about the old park either. Especially the last few years when Jerry let it get so run down. It was damp all the time, it seemed. And there were those seats that didn't even face the field. Also, a ladies room per deck with about 4 stalls in each restroom.

alohafri
05-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Someone actually said that the hot dogs at Wrigley Field are good? I tried to give one to an Ethiopian and he turned it down!

Iguana775
05-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Well, whenever anyone using my computer lab is trying to access their AOL accounts and can't, I tell them that's because AOL is crap.

that isnt no crap. when i cancelled my subscription, i spent 10 minutes telling the guy i didnt want to stay with them. i finally had to tell the guy to quit hasseling me and just cancel the damed thing. then.....2 days later, i got a call from them trying to convince me to come back. no wonder they are the #1 ISP, THEY DONT LET ANYONE GO!!!!

Viva Magglio
05-09-2002, 08:22 PM
AOL posted a $54.2B loss in the 1Q of 2002. That's a lot of money.

AOL logs $54.2 billion loss (http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/24/technology/aol/index.htm)

KruseControl04
05-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
Someone actually said that the hot dogs at Wrigley Field are good? I tried to give one to an Ethiopian and he turned it down!

Originally posted by Iguana775

that isnt no crap. when i cancelled my subscription, i spent 10 minutes telling the guy i didnt want to stay with them. i finally had to tell the guy to quit hasseling me and just cancel the damed thing. then.....2 days later, i got a call from them trying to convince me to come back. no wonder they are the #1 ISP, THEY DONT LET ANYONE GO!!!!

Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
AOL posted a $54.2B loss in the 1Q of 2002. That's a lot of money.

AOL logs $54.2 billion loss (http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/24/technology/aol/index.htm)

Well, AOL sucks like nothing else..... Except for maybe the Cubs.

Max Power
05-09-2002, 11:40 PM

That's hilarious. I sold those same hot dogs at Wrigley Field as recently as last season. I got tired of people's complaint's so I'm not doing it anymore. Cub fans whine about everything, believe me.

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 01:52 AM

Bull****! The Connies resturaunt is good, most of the pizza you get ehre is frozen and tastes like it's nuked. Get a brat or a polish from the private vendors. That blows away pizza in that park.

I crave those grilled onions now!

CLR01
05-10-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Bull****! The Connies resturaunt is good, most of the pizza you get ehre is frozen and tastes like it's nuked. Get a brat or a polish from the private vendors. That blows away pizza in that park.

I crave those grilled onions now!

Go to White Castle.....

Iwritecode
05-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775

You had that same problem too? I cancelled and then got charged the next month anyways. Another time I cancelled they told me three different billing days so I got charged an extra month again. When I told them to take it off my credit card they said that they couldn't. I called my credit card company and got them to do it though... :D:

AOhelL SUCKS!

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Go to White Castle.....

I can only handle that at 4am and completly drunk. That don't happen too often anymore.

pearso66
05-10-2002, 01:42 PM
first, as for them saying that people are too scared to wander around the town around comisky, that is untrue, ive done it, wasnt scared, i can understand prior to like 5-10 years ago, but now its not too dangerous.

and as for the aol being hard to cancel, we tried tons of times, and every time, they said oh you haev the next 3 months paid for, blah blah blah, i dont know, but im suer we coudl still get into our aol account, lol

Moses_Scurry
05-10-2002, 01:48 PM
IMO, Connie's pizza sucks. It tastes too much like Pizza Hut which also sucks. They need to get a deal with Giordanno's or Pizzaria Uno or some local Ma and Pa pizza place. I'd rather eat a frozen Tombstone pizza than Connies. Also, the Armour hot dogs that they sell at both stadiums are pathetic! I usually stick with the Polish and Italian sausages.

voodoochile
05-10-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
IMO, Connie's pizza sucks. It tastes too much like Pizza Hut which also sucks. They need to get a deal with Giordanno's or Pizzaria Uno or some local Ma and Pa pizza place. I'd rather eat a frozen Tombstone pizza than Connies. Also, the Armour hot dogs that they sell at both stadiums are pathetic! I usually stick with the Polish and Italian sausages.

Totally agree - Connies sucks. That's not Chicago style pizza. If you are goint to do tombstone, at least get the Homerun Inn frozen pizza - way better...

IMO, the best food at the park is near the left field foul pole on the main concourse, just before the turn - Em's Pita's. Hot of the grill shredded beef stuffed into the pita and topped with grilled onions and peppers. You need several napkins, because this stuff is juicy. mmmmm-mmmmmmmmmm. Tip her a buck and she stuffs that pita extra full. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. The cart dogs, brats and polish blow away the stuff at the counters everytime.

Cheryl
05-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Damn I'm hungry!

Chisox353014
05-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If you are goint to do tombstone, at least get the Homerun Inn frozen pizza - way better...

The Home Run Inn frozen pizza has been a staple of my diet for about 5 years now. I like it better than a quite a few takeout places actually.

cheeses_h_rice
05-10-2002, 03:27 PM
4 words for you:

Jack's Naturally Rising Pizza.

Best frozen pizza EVER.

Cheryl
05-10-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
4 words for you:

Jack's Naturally Rising Pizza.

Best frozen pizza EVER.

Oh those are good.

Now I'm really hungry.

Procol Harum
05-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Kosher Zion dogs from the carts are the only way to go with hot dogs at Comiskey--that's mighty fine eatin'. Follow with a fistful o' churros.

Connie's Pizza would be edible if that was all you could get in some location that's short on Eye-talians (say, Tulsa, fer instance) or some major metropolitan area (NYC) that apparently didn't attract the right kind of Eye-talians what make good pizza or operate Italian Beef stands. But, Malnati's or Giordano's would be the best bet for Comiskey. As for the frozen variety--that there Home Run Inn peetzer is purty darn good.

guillen4life13
05-10-2002, 06:19 PM
here's my opinion of the good food at the park:

1. Polish/Hot Dog/Bratwurst EVERYTHING ON THEM!!!
2. Steak Pitas

As for deserts/sweets:

1. funnel cake (i could go for one right now!)
2. lemon chill

now in terms of pizza, i'm not that big a fan, but my favorite delivery pizzas in oak park are leonas (2 blocks from home also!), geppetto's, and D'Nico's. Out in the western suburbs there's (or was) a place called Pal Joey's where they had REALLY REALLY good pizzas!

Andrew Bolton
05-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Please, who is this idiot to judge. Good thing I'm no longer with AOL, decided to go with a much higher standard of internet service. Comiskey is beautiful. Ironic the fact that the last World Seris played in Chicago, 1959, was played in old Comiskey Park. The SOX are an awesome ballclub, and have had success since playing in their new stadium, winning division championships. (Example-2000.) So, all this horse-crap about the CUBS being Chicago's favorite baseball club is exactly just that. HORSE-SH_T!
GO SOX IN 2002! Hey CUB FANS -"NEVER FORGOT 1906!!!"

RedPinStripes
05-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Bolton
Please, who is this idiot to judge. Good thing I'm no longer with AOL, decided to go with a much higher standard of internet service. Comiskey is beautiful. Ironic the fact that the last World Seris played in Chicago, 1959, was played in old Comiskey Park. The SOX are an awesome ballclub, and have had success since playing in their new stadium, winning division championships. (Example-2000.) So, all this horse-crap about the CUBS being Chicago's favorite baseball club is exactly just that. HORSE-SH_T!
GO SOX IN 2002! Hey CUB FANS -"NEVER FORGOT 1906!!!"

Good speech! Welcome! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: