PDA

View Full Version : Ain't no June Swoon . . .

ondafarm
07-18-2008, 03:49 PM
The team that leads at the All-Star break is supposed to win the division. But it doesn't always come out that way. While the calender has rolled beyond a June swoon, there's still time for a July-die, an un-August and a Black September. So who will it be?

SoxSpeed22
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Minnesota and Detroit?

ondafarm
07-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Minnesota and Detroit?

That's the spirit!!:bandance:

the1tab
07-18-2008, 04:01 PM
With the number of moves happening (Harden, Blanton, Sexson, Sabathia) and number of good players alleged to still be on the market (Bay, Nady, Burnett), this question/poll might be excellent to revisit a day after the deadline and see who does what to shake things up...

I think the NL West is the most vulnerable because the Padres, if they get healthy, could be a tough win and the Diamondbacks are going to need more than Tony Clark to pick up their struggling offense w/ Byrnes likely done for the year now w/ that hammy issue.

DumpJerry
07-18-2008, 04:04 PM
I think the NL West is the most vulnerable because the Padres, if they get healthy, could be a tough win and the Diamondbacks are going to need more than Tony Clark to pick up their struggling offense w/ Byrnes likely done for the year now w/ that hammy issue.
The NL West should not be allowed to send a representative to the postseason. Someone can win that division with a sub-.500 record.

I'm thinking Cleveland. After all, they traded Sabathia to a team whose front office cannot pronounce his last name. It's not like he a new player to MLB.....

doublem23
07-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Philadelphia. The Mets got their **** together, I think.

ondafarm
07-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Philadelphia. The Mets got their **** together, I think.

I would agree with you except they hired Jerry Manuel. I think he could have managed the 1927 Yanks into second place.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2008, 10:20 PM
I would agree with you except they hired Jerry Manuel. I think he could have managed the 1927 Yanks into second place.

My thoughts exactly. The Mets are playing the best baseball in the Majors, but we've seen the White Sox go on similar runs in the past, and what happened afterwards is something that only Sox fans understand:

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Frontman
07-18-2008, 10:47 PM
The Rays. They've played every well, but unless they can pull it back together, they'll slide too far back.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2008, 11:23 PM
My thoughts exactly. The Mets are playing the best baseball in the Majors, but we've seen the White Sox go on similar runs in the past, and what happened afterwards is something that only Sox fans understand:

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Don't you think it's possible that Manuel could have learned something from his time here (and subsequent non-managerial jobs) and is applying some of those lessons learned with the Mets? I mean, come on, the guy actually won a division title here.

SBSoxFan
07-19-2008, 08:10 AM
There was an article at mlb.com, I think, regarding this topic. I believe it said nearly two-thirds of the teams that were in first at the break reached the playoffs. If the lead was less than 5 games, however, that dropped to just over 50%.

During the game last night, they said that each of the last 4 years (not counting the strike year, I guess) the Sox won the division ('83, '93, 2000, 2005), they led at the all-star break.

DumpJerry
07-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Jeez Onda, why do you have to weigh in with such outlandish opinions? I mean, really now.

Third place for the Bronx Bombers.:wink:

South Side Irish
07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
The poll results show far indicate a dramatic disrespect for the Cards, a supposed 90-loss 5th place team this year. They're only 3 games back of the Cubs, and are getting Carpenter and Wainwright back within weeks. I think we should all give them a little more respect, especially moreso than the Brewers. Milwaukee's got to catch them, remember.

To quote Haray Carry: "The Cardinals are coming, tra-la, tra-la. The Cardinals are coming..." Could be a fun fall.

I voted Phillies, as the Mets are coming on them hard, and have the most talent of any team in the NL (with the possible exception of the Cubs). And Philly never seems to have the pitching.