PDA

View Full Version : Just Manny being...a douchenozzle

jabrch
07-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Former WBZ sports director Bob Lobel said Thursday that Manny Ramirez was fined "a six-figure amount" for his June altercation with Red Sox traveling secretary Jack McCormick.

Lobel went on the suggest that Ramirez may have taken three straight called strikes in a pinch-hit at-bat on July 6 "to send a message" to the Red Sox. "The bat on the shoulder for the three pitches from Mariano Rivera, that was a big [expletive] to the Red Sox after the fine," Lobel said. "I'm just telling you, there are things in the front office that are perceived. I'm saying that there is a strong feeling that that [three-pitch strikeout] was the message to the Red Sox and it's a strong feeling that that's unacceptable."
Source: Boston Herald (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/report_manny_fi.html)

IF that is true, I hope his teammates duct tape him to the Green Monster and beat him till he bleeds. I don't care what your problem with managmement is, take a strikeout in a big situation to prove a point is craptacular. I'd assume, if this is true, they will not pick up his $20mm option next year - or if they, it is because they have a trade worked out.

VenturaFan23
07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
And then the next time he hits a HR to win a game, everyone will love him again. :rolleyes:

voodoochile
07-18-2008, 12:25 PM
And then the next time he hits a HR to win a game, everyone will love him again. :rolleyes:

Somethings you don't do. Arguments with management about the business side of baseball should never spill over into the way a guy plays the game. You play for your teammates, for glory, for championships. If you do that, the money comes. The minute you crap on your teammates to send a message to management, you deserve exactly what jabarch suggested and worse...

Konerko05
07-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Does anyone else get extremely angry everytime they hear the phrase, "Manny being Manny"? Doesn't anyone saying it know how lame it is? Then during the All Star Game, I'm pretty sure I heard "Carlos being Carlos," referring to Zambrano. dalkdflkjadflal;dskjf

munchman33
07-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Manny doesn't play baseball because he enjoys it. I don't like him, in fact I despise him, but from a business standpoint there really wasn't too much wrong with what he did. If your employers treat you like **** and you feel underappreciated, doesn't your work suffer? Don't you start to care less?

This might be more about the culture in Beantown than anything else. Manny wasn't "Manny" before he went there. They made this monster. They can't all of a sudden start fighting back without the expectation that it won't take.

hi im skot
07-18-2008, 12:56 PM
I didn't see the at-bat in question, but isn't it all speculation at this point?

voodoochile
07-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Manny doesn't play baseball because he enjoys it. I don't like him, in fact I despise him, but from a business standpoint there really wasn't too much wrong with what he did. If your employers treat you like **** and you feel underappreciated, doesn't your work suffer? Don't you start to care less?

This might be more about the culture in Beantown than anything else. Manny wasn't "Manny" before he went there. They made this monster. They can't all of a sudden start fighting back without the expectation that it won't take.

Why am I not shocked that you see nothing wrong with what Manny did.

Yeah, those Boston meanies paying him $20M/year to play baseball. Management really had it out for his sorry ass...:rolleyes:

munchman33
07-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Yeah, those Boston meanies paying him $20M/year to play baseball. Management really had it out for his sorry ass...:rolleyes:

Don't think of it as baseball. Because both Manny and the Red Sox don't view it that way. The don't see it like we do. That's pretty obvious.

jabrch
07-18-2008, 01:21 PM

If anyone who worked for me deliberately blew a task, literally intentionally did nothing and watched it fail, because of dissatisfaction with any of my decisions, they would not last here particularly long.

It is plain and simple Insubordination. IF this is what happened, I'd be stunned to see him a Red Sox next year.

munchman33
07-18-2008, 01:33 PM
If anyone who worked for me deliberately blew a task, literally intentionally did nothing and watched it fail, because of dissatisfaction with any of my decisions, they would not last here particularly long.

It is plain and simple Insubordination. IF this is what happened, I'd be stunned to see him a Red Sox next year.

But see, you can't really prove he struck out on purpose.

Now, you could fire your employee if you felt they were blowing accounts and such. But you also aren't responsible for them being that way. The Red Sox are completely responsible, because they just stood and took **** like this for years, playing it off as something normal and okay. Now all of a sudden they want to start taking him to task? You'd have a hard time disciplining an employee in the business world for doing something you've been okay with for years. HR would undoubtedly side with the employee.

The Immigrant
07-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Even assuming that is exactly what happened - and short of a confession by Manny there is absolutely no way to tell - he will be back with the Red Sox next year. If they allow him to physically assault other employees, they will easily look past this issue. They have created a monster and will have at least two more years to deal with him.

manders_01
07-18-2008, 01:45 PM

Don't think of it as baseball. Because both Manny and the Red Sox don't view it that way. The don't see it like we do. That's pretty obvious.

So if your boss did something to make you mad, you'd doing something in retaliation that could put you or your place of employment in detriment? :?:

munchman33
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
So if your boss did something to make you mad, you'd doing something in retaliation that could put you or your place of employment in detriment? :?:

There is precident for that behavior to be accepted in that environment. That's the big thing.

jabrch
07-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Even assuming that is exactly what happened - and short of a confession by Manny there is absolutely no way to tell - he will be back with the Red Sox next year. If they allow him to physically assault other employees, they will easily look past this issue. They have created a monster and will have at least two more years to deal with him.

I'm not so sure...They have a $20mm option on him. They COULD decline the option and set Manny free. Matt Holliday is one year away from FA. I'm sure Boston could find good uses for $20mm.

They didn't exactly allow him to assult the employee. They fined him reportedly 6 figures over it. That's harsh - as harsh as I think the CBA would allow.

Viva Medias B's
07-18-2008, 02:27 PM
IF that is true, I hope his teammates duct tape him to the Green Monster and beat him till he bleeds.

Actually, they should tape him to the dugout pole and cut all his hair. That would be far more traumatic for Manny.

manders_01
07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
There is precident for that behavior to be accepted in that environment. That's the big thing.

When did Manny set the precedent for throwing his team under the bus? I must have missed it. :scratch:

ComiskeyBrewer
07-18-2008, 03:19 PM
So let me get this straight, he assaults a co worker and gets fined for it, then is angry at management for punishing him? What a douche indeed.

munchman33
07-18-2008, 03:28 PM
When did Manny set the precedent for throwing his team under the bus? I must have missed it. :scratch:

You're right. He never choose to arbitrarily sit out weeks of time in the middle of a pennant race when the Red Sox needed him most.

Oh wait...

munchman33
07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
So let me get this straight, he assaults a co worker and gets fined for it, then is angry at management for punishing him? What a douche indeed.

He got mad for punishment because the Red Sox have proven time and time again that he can do whatever he wants and not get punished. Of course he's going to complain the first time they try to. What else would you expect a child to do? :?:

Fenway
07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
boston.com now says the story was bogus

Manny was fined between 10 and 15K

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/mannys_fine_wil.html

Fenway
07-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Source: Boston Herald (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/report_manny_fi.html)

Source was the Boston Globe not the Herald

Still Lobel has the best roladex in town....it was dumped by CBS after 29 years in the cost cutting moves last April.

manders_01
07-18-2008, 07:09 PM
You're right. He never choose to arbitrarily sit out weeks of time in the middle of a pennant race when the Red Sox needed him most.

Oh wait...

Like I said, I must have missed it. I don't remember him sitting out of post season games.

WizardsofOzzie
07-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Anyone see the awesome job he did on a flyball against the Angels last night? After botching it, I'm pretty sure he performed a stop, drop and roll.

Link for video lowlight (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280718103)

tstrike2000
07-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Even though he can still hit, it may not matter anyway because it sounds like the Red Sox may not want to pick up his 20 million option next year for a 37 year old outfielder.

BainesHOF
07-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I didn't see the at-bat in question, but isn't it all speculation at this point?

I saw the at-bat in question. At the time I told my girlfriend that it looked like Manny was giving the team a big FU. I had no idea about his altercation with the traveling secretary. Upon hearing about it, I have little doubt that Manny tanked the at-bat. It was that obvious, especially when you consider he's one of the smartest and most clutch hitters of his generation.

Fenway
07-19-2008, 07:29 PM
That was the game I had seats behind the plate...

It didn't smell right then

This is going to explode

Dan Shaughnessy
Did Ramirez intentionally fan flames? (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/19/did_ramirez_intentionally_fan_flames/)

What I find curious is WEEI does not have the Lobel interview on their website and usually all guests are downloadable.

soltrain21
07-19-2008, 07:44 PM
That was the game I had seats behind the plate...

It didn't smell right then

This is going to explode

Dan Shaughnessy
Did Ramirez intentionally fan flames? (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/19/did_ramirez_intentionally_fan_flames/)

What I find curious is WEEI does not have the Lobel interview on their website and usually all guests are downloadable.

You say that everytime and it never happens. The ****er gets a game winning hit and all is forgotten.

When will it finally explode?!

Fenway
07-19-2008, 07:52 PM
You say that everytime and it never happens. The ****er gets a game winning hit and all is forgotten.

When will it finally explode?!

This is the first time this ownership has control over Manny's next contract. It is THEIR option not his..

Remember he was signed by Duquette in an ESPN special presentation