PDA

View Full Version : Disruptive Oakland Trip

PeteWard
07-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Why do the Sox have to go all the way out to the coast for just a three game series on August 15th? No travel day before or after either. :angry:

I understand that because of inter-league play that this has to be done in May and June as the Sox already did against LAD and the Twins did against Colorado. But in August to Oakland? I don't get it. Why wasn't this combined with another trip earlier on?

whitesox901
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Idk if I would want them on a 13 or 14 day westcoast trip, I imagine its pretty tiring on the body

jabrch
07-17-2008, 10:45 PM
At this point, they will have no experienced SP left to throw at us...at least that's what we can hope for.

DumpJerry
07-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Our SPs for the first two games will be sent out there a day or two early to get rested up.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2008, 11:01 PM
At this point, they will have no experienced SP left to throw at us...at least that's what we can hope for.
They're STILL Oakland! It's too bad they couldn't schedule this either before or after the series in SF. Kill both Bay series at once.

eriqjaffe
07-18-2008, 09:56 AM
At this point, they will have no experienced SP left to throw at us...at least that's what we can hope for.I don't know about that...

Oakland and pitchers the Sox haven't seen before? Cakewalk!

SoxGirl4Life
07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm more worried about the two 10-game trips and the one 9-game trip. But that's just me.

jabrch
07-18-2008, 10:17 AM
They're STILL Oakland! It's too bad they couldn't schedule this either before or after the series in SF. Kill both Bay series at once.

I don't know about that...

I agree with both of you...That said, I like the look of things.

hi im skot
07-18-2008, 10:33 AM
The White Sox will go undefeated in the second half.

No worries.

TDog
07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I don't know about that...

Facing Gallagher could be tougher than facing Harden, both of whom the Sox have beaten this season. The Sox also have faced Smith, Eveland and Duchsherer in their six games against the A's this season. I don't know who their post-break fifth starter will be -- for now it looks like they are going with a four-man rotation if they don't bring up someone to start Tuesday's game in St. Petersburg -- but the Sox have seen the their current four starters. The only Sox starting pitcher the A's have had success with this year is Buehrle, who has lost to the A's twice. Danks has beaten the A's twice this year.

I thought last September when I saw the Giants scheduled to host the Sox in May that the Oakland trip would e adjacent to the San Francisco trip. The Sox played well in San Francisco, taking over first place. They obviously felt comfortable. I don't know if they will stay at the same hotel they stayed in for their San Francisco trip. They sure aren't going to stay near McAfee. In any case, a weekend in the Bay Area would be better to an extended swing up the coast, or going to Oakland to finish up a trip that started in Boston.

doublem23
07-18-2008, 12:33 PM
The White Sox will go undefeated in the second half.

No worries.

The Twins will probably still find a way to catch us. :o:

Cangelosi CF
07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
little Hirschbeck won't be the umpire and force Ozzier to play JD at SS.

getonbckthr
07-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Facing Gallagher could be tougher than facing Harden, both of whom the Sox have beaten this season. The Sox also have faced Smith, Eveland and Duchsherer in their six games against the A's this season. I don't know who their post-break fifth starter will be -- for now it looks like they are going with a four-man rotation if they don't bring up someone to start Tuesday's game in St. Petersburg -- but the Sox have seen the their current four starters. The only Sox starting pitcher the A's have had success with this year is Buehrle, who has lost to the A's twice. Danks has beaten the A's twice this year.

I thought last September when I saw the Giants scheduled to host the Sox in May that the Oakland trip would e adjacent to the San Francisco trip. The Sox played well in San Francisco, taking over first place. They obviously felt comfortable. I don't know if they will stay at the same hotel they stayed in for their San Francisco trip. They sure aren't going to stay near McAfee. In any case, a weekend in the Bay Area would be better to an extended swing up the coast, or going to Oakland to finish up a trip that started in Boston.
Sounds like Gio stepping in.

turners56
07-18-2008, 01:52 PM
I hope Oakland unloads their entire rotation by then. Meaning Duchscherer will also be traded...

NSFWSoxFan
07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
... The Sox played well in San Francisco, taking over first place. They obviously felt comfortable...That was a fun series to watch. Well, the part where Dotel walked the bases full - didn't he hit a guy or two also? - that was maybe a little too exciting for me. :o:

TDog
07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
That was a fun series to watch. Well, the part where Dotel walked the bases full - didn't he hit a guy or two also? - that was maybe a little too exciting for me. :o:

I was sitting high above home plate. Dotel walked the bases loaded. He was throwing hard with good movement but couldn't find the plate with a three-run lead. Masset came in and gave up three weakly hit ground balls to bring in two of the runners that Dotel put on. The Sox came back with four against Wilson, the All-Star closer. The Sox hit very well against some good Giants pitching they had never faced before.

I'm not so upset about the Sox playing a weekend series in Oakland is easy for me to get to, a lot easier than the ballpark in San Francisco.

Railsplitter
07-18-2008, 07:34 PM
The Twins have an 11 game west coast swing the last 11 days of August, so it remains to be seen how they come off that one.