PDA

View Full Version : Phillies aquire Joe Blanton

SoxNation05
07-17-2008, 05:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3494315

BadBobbyJenks
07-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Buster Onley is reporting 3 minor leaguers, but I have not seen any names.

sox1970
07-17-2008, 05:51 PM
If they want to keep going and trade Duchscherer to the Sox, I'm fine with that.

thomas35forever
07-17-2008, 05:52 PM
White Flag Part II?

BadBobbyJenks
07-17-2008, 05:52 PM
If they want to keep going and trade Duchscherer to the Sox, I'm fine with that.

No thanks to whatever ransom they are asking for.

SoxSpeed22
07-17-2008, 05:53 PM
White Flag Part II?At 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA, they could be using addition by subtraction. A low-risk, high reward trade for Philly.

sox1970
07-17-2008, 05:56 PM
No thanks to whatever ransom they are asking for.

What's your definition of a ransom?

The Sox are trying to win another World Series. I'll take all the pitching we can get.

SoxNation05
07-17-2008, 05:56 PM
At 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA, they could be using addition by subtraction. A low-risk, high reward trade for Philly.
He was pitching in a huge ball park and now he is moving into a heavy hitters ball park. I dont see his stats getting better.

BadBobbyJenks
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
At 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA, they could be using addition by subtraction. A low-risk, high reward trade for Philly.

Well Blanton is much better than he has been this year so I don't think it addition by subtraction. I would worry about his road trends that are getting worse.

This could mean the debut of Gio shortly.

SoxNation05
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM

The Sox are trying to win another World Series. I'll take all the pitching we can get.
But it might not be worth trading for a life team reliever in his first half year of starting especially when he is already 31. Plus you're dealing with Billy Beane.

SoxNation05
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Well Blanton is much better than he has been this year so I don't think it addition by subtraction. I would worry about his road trends that are getting worse.

This could mean the debut of Gio shortly.
Last time I checked Gio was getting shelled.

btrain929
White Flag Part II?

No chance in hell they were going to beat out the Angels, and the Wild Card will more then likely be the 2nd place finishers of the Central or East, right now looking like the East.

BadBobbyJenks

Paying for a man with a 1.83 era who I see no way of keeping that up. I don't know what the asking price is, but I would guess it is too much for my liking.

turners56
07-17-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't know how he will live in Citizen's Bank Ball Park.

BadBobbyJenks
07-17-2008, 05:59 PM

Better check again.

I don't think he is going to be a top of the rotation starter, but he will be a solid 3 or 4.

SoxNation05
07-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Better check again.

I don't think he is going to be a top of the rotation starter, but he will be a solid 3 or 4.
He is 6-6 with a 4.56 ERA in triple a.

BadBobbyJenks
07-17-2008, 06:08 PM

He has won 4 in a row:

6 IP 1 ER 7 ks 3 hits
9 IP 1 ER 13 ks 1 hit
6 IP 0 ER 7 ks 1 hit
7.1 IP 1 ER 7 ks 5 hits

SoxNation05
07-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Link

cws05champ
07-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Link
According to baseball America, their #2 and # 4 prospects....pretty heavy price.

SoxNation05
07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
According to baseball America, their #2 and # 4 prospects....pretty heavy price.
Wow, thats for a guy with a 5-12 record and a 5 ERA.

VenturaFan23
07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Isn't ANYONE going to challenge the Angels this year? I'm starting to get tired of them.

SoxNation05
07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Isn't ANYONE going to challenge the Angels this year? I'm starting to get tired of them.
Not until we take them in the ALCS.

doublem23
07-17-2008, 07:18 PM

Obviously haven't seen his last couple of starts.

doublem23
07-17-2008, 07:20 PM

117 K in 110 IP

California Sox
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
In a way it makes sense. The A's have more pitching in the minors than anyone. They're opening up room and getting value back. I think they got more for Blanton than they did for Harden, which is crazy.

btrain929
07-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Not until we take them in the ALCS.

Only if we figure out a way to hit Saunders and Weaver.

doublem23
07-17-2008, 07:31 PM
In a way it makes sense. The A's have more pitching in the minors than anyone. They're opening up room and getting value back. I think they got more for Blanton than they did for Harden, which is crazy.

Blanton averages Blanton has pitched 194 innings each of the last 3 years, Harden's never touched that number in his career, nor has he thrown 194 innings in the last 3 years combined.

Anyways, the A's suck. They'll be dumping all these guys in 2-3 years.

MCHSoxFan
07-17-2008, 08:47 PM

I am more tired of BOS than LAA. However, I dislike both.

MCHSoxFan
07-17-2008, 08:49 PM

I agree. This has nothing to do with my dislike for the Cubs, but Matt Murton is not thaaatttt good. Maybe if they (The Cubs) threw in some more players...

Tragg
07-17-2008, 08:51 PM

Overpaying significantly for a 30+ year old on a career year.
Maximizing playoff appearances gives us the best chance to win a WS.
Stay away from As and their pitchers anyway.

Brian26
07-17-2008, 08:54 PM
This seems like a disheartening trade for A's fans. It was less than four years ago that Beane purged the team of Mulder, Hudson and Zito. Now, three of the guys that were supposed to fill those roles have also been sold off (Haren, Blanton, Harden). If Beane's master plan is an eight or nine year re-building model, I feel sorry for Oakland fans. That's no way to operate a major league team.

the1tab
07-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Haren was had at a fair price.
Harden was had for... crap. If he stays healthy, worst trade ever.
Blanton was had for scrap yard junk.

I would think that Justin Douchebagererr could be had for some mid-level talent. The Sox & A's have done business in the past (Swish) and I would think Kenny could find a way for Jerry Owens, Danny Richar and Juan Uribe to head west for Justin D.... and maybe Ellis?

champagne030
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM

I would think that Justin Douchebagererr could be had for some mid-level talent. The Sox & A's have done business in the past (Swish) and I would think Kenny could find a way for Jerry Owens, Danny Richar and Juan Uribe to head west for Justin D.... and maybe Ellis?

The A's want players in the low minors with potential, not career minor leaguers tooling around in AAA.

TDog
07-17-2008, 09:37 PM

In Gallagher's only game for the A's this year, he pitched nearly as well against the Angels as Harden did for the A's at any time this year. It wouldn't surprise me if Gallagher ends up being a better pitcher than Harden. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Gallagher wins more games for the A's than Harden does for the Cubs. Harden tends not to go as deep into games and will miss some decisions. Saturday he left with a 7-0 lead against a feeble offensive team and didn't get the win.

DrCrawdad
07-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Blanton averages Blanton has pitched 194 innings each of the last 3 years, Harden's never touched that number in his career, nor has he thrown 194 innings in the last 3 years combined.

2005 128
2006 46.7
2007 25.7
= 200.4

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2008, 10:23 PM
I think what the A's have done is a bigger "give up" than the White Flag trade.

I mean, we're still at the All-Star break. The A's are in second place. When you think about it, Beane started giving up before the break when he traded Harden. Now he's made it official.

oeo
07-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Anyways, the A's suck. They'll be dumping all these guys in 2-3 years.

Why worry about winning a championship when you can just sell high constantly?

whitesox901
07-17-2008, 11:06 PM
This makes the NL East race alot more interesting, I figured the Mets would have a big second half, there top 4 starters have ERA's under 4.00 and the Offense is decent enough.

doublem23
07-18-2008, 03:20 AM
2005 128
2006 46.7
2007 25.7
= 200.4

Whoops, I added '06, '07, and '08. :redface: This is why I don't crunch numbers for a living.

I don't know if that necessarily changes my point, though... It still takes Harden 3 years to produce the same amount of IP that Blanton does in a single season. Granted, Harden's stuff is much better, and if I had to pick between the 2 to start a Game 7 and there were no health questions, I'd have to pick Harden, but if you're looking for the guy you want over 1/2 a season... Well, there's a good argument for Blanton. All the "stuff" in the world doesn't do you any good if it's on the DL.

Why worry about winning a championship when you can just sell high constantly?

One of these days, people will stop gushing over Billy Beane. One of these days.

soxtalker
07-18-2008, 06:59 AM
I think what the A's have done is a bigger "give up" than the White Flag trade.

I mean, we're still at the All-Star break. The A's are in second place. When you think about it, Beane started giving up before the break when he traded Harden. Now he's made it official.

Think of their situation. The A's move into a new ball park next year (maybe the year after), I believe. They'll have plenty of young talent that will be maturing at that time. If they don't make these trades, they still have a tough road against the Angels and the other wild-card contenders (very tough this year). And they still might overachieve this year with the young guys.

DrCrawdad
07-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Whoops, I added '06, '07, and '08. :redface: This is why I don't crunch numbers for a living.

I don't know if that necessarily changes my point, though... It still takes Harden 3 years to produce the same amount of IP that Blanton does in a single season. Granted, Harden's stuff is much better, and if I had to pick between the 2 to start a Game 7 and there were no health questions, I'd have to pick Harden, but if you're looking for the guy you want over 1/2 a season... Well, there's a good argument for Blanton. All the "stuff" in the world doesn't do you any good if it's on the DL.

I agree. You were off on the exact numbers but your point was right.

I learned from your comment too. I did not realize how few combined innings Rick Harden had pitched over the last few years.

skottyj242
07-18-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't know how he will live in Citizen's Bank Ball Park.

I don't think he's really going to live there. I would imagine he will get an apartment or maybe sleep on Ryan Howard's couch.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-18-2008, 08:45 AM
According to baseball America, their #2 and # 4 prospects....pretty heavy price.I haven't talked to any of my Philly friends yet, but this is the Pat Gillick we have come to expect -- gutting the farm system with risky trades to try to win a World Series now, thereby leaving the organization in much worse shape than it was when he arrived.

And speaking of risky Gillick trades, I hear that Freddy is on the comeback trail...

palehozenychicty
07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
This seems like a disheartening trade for A's fans. It was less than four years ago that Beane purged the team of Mulder, Hudson and Zito. Now, three of the guys that were supposed to fill those roles have also been sold off (Haren, Blanton, Harden). If Beane's master plan is an eight or nine year re-building model, I feel sorry for Oakland fans. That's no way to operate a major league team.

Which is why I hate teams like the Twins and A's so much. They're admitting that they have no chance to win at all, but they get in the playoffs and muck it up for us. :tongue:

DSpivack
07-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Think of their situation. The A's move into a new ball park next year (maybe the year after), I believe. They'll have plenty of young talent that will be maturing at that time. If they don't make these trades, they still have a tough road against the Angels and the other wild-card contenders (very tough this year). And they still might overachieve this year with the young guys.

They won't move into Cisco Field until 2012 at the earliest. If/When they do, it will be the first time the franchise moves into a stadium built for them since 1909.

cws05champ
07-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Dam, what's their rotation going to look like now, and after the trade deadline:

Duchscherer 1st year starter
Eveland - 4th year, 2008 only consistent starting in bigs
Gallagher- 2nd year (only 11 GS in the bigs)
Smith- Rookie
Gio?- Rookie

We'll see if Duchscherer/ Street gets traded as well......

Foulke You
07-18-2008, 05:38 PM
We'll see if Duchscherer/ Street gets traded as well......
Hopefully, they'll get dealt before we play them again.:cool: