PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas Interview on ESPN Radio

bjmarte
05-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Did anyone hear the interview Dan Patrick did with Frank Thomas. I think they played it first yesterday but they replayed it again today. It sounds like Frank is walking around with a very positive attitude right now in spite of his less than Big Hurt like numbers.

He basically said that he is happy to be on a team where he doesn't have to feel like the success rests soley on his shoulders and that he has matured to the point where he feels like he can play for the team and not be concerned only with himself.

The biggest thing he said, at least twice, was that focusing on his indiviual accomplishments got him good numbers but it never got him a WS ring, and his only concern right now is getting a ring before he retires.

cheeses_h_rice
05-09-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte

The biggest thing he said, at least twice, was that focusing on his indiviual accomplishments got him good numbers but it never got him a WS ring, and his only concern right now is getting a ring before he retires.

:shammy

What an eedeeot.

Bmr31
05-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Did anyone hear the interview Dan Patrick did with Frank Thomas. I think they played it first yesterday but they replayed it again today. It sounds like Frank is walking around with a very positive attitude right now in spite of his less than Big Hurt like numbers.

He basically said that he is happy to be on a team where he doesn't have to feel like the success rests soley on his shoulders and that he has matured to the point where he feels like he can play for the team and not be concerned only with himself.

and it took him this long to realize all this?

bjmarte
05-09-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Not everyone can be as mature and enlightened as you.

MarqSox
05-09-2002, 02:40 PM

It took Jordan about 6 or 7 years to realize it... apparantly it took Frank 12 years. Still, better late than never.

FarWestChicago
05-09-2002, 02:40 PM

and it took him this long to realize all this? :shammy

Realize what?

mack10zie
05-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Whether or not he should have realized this earlier to me is meaningless. I'm just glad he has realized it now, and I'm lovin his attitude this season.

Bmr31
05-09-2002, 02:56 PM

Not everyone can be as mature and enlightened as you.

i stand corrected. YOU and randar are the only ones who continue to take shots at people for no apparent reason. you, too need to stop....

YOFrankie
05-09-2002, 03:47 PM
I think WSI should create a flame board, to go along with the Clubhouse, Parking Lot, ect. Anytime something like this flares up the tread could be moved there. That way I can continue to believe that WSI is utopia and go on singing "I love you, you love me."

YOFrankie
05-09-2002, 03:50 PM
guess my last post better go to the lot also, although it won't make much sense anymore.

FarWestChicago
05-09-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by YOFrankie
I think WSI should create a flame board, to go along with the Clubhouse, Parking Lot, ect. Anytime something like this flares up the tread could be moved there. :?: Read the description of The Parking Lot. Of course, getting people to follow the rules is another matter. :angry:

YOFrankie
05-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:?: Of course, getting people to follow the rules is another matter. :angry:

Exactly, I like reading Parking Lot stuff, if there was a flame board, I would no best to stay away from it. Plus, you could scold people who flame on both the Lot and the Clubhouse that way. We need WSI to be more of a big brother.

FarWestChicago
05-09-2002, 03:58 PM

Exactly, I like reading Parking Lot stuff, if there was a flame board, I would no best to stay away from it. Plus, you could scold people who flame on both the Lot and the Clubhouse that way. We need WSI to be more of a big brother. There is a flame board. It's called Banned.

Kilroy
05-09-2002, 04:05 PM

Big deal. In baseball, especially as a DH, there are very few situations where concentrating on your own stats doesn't help the team.

MarqSox
05-09-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Big deal. In baseball, especially as a DH, there are very few situations where concentrating on your own stats doesn't help the team.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/shammy.jpg
I like dis guy! You know, the fans, they like when I hit da home ruhh.

steff
05-09-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
There is a flame board. It's called Banned.

ROTFLMAO FW!! This alone is enough reason to LOVE this board!! :)

Bmr31
05-09-2002, 05:21 PM

I hope you were joking and if not,have you ever participated in sports? Selfish players never help a team win.

mack10zie
05-09-2002, 06:03 PM
Bmr, just for the record, as a DH which situations in a baseball game would worrying about your own stats be detrimental to the team?

Obviously is he's "selfish", he might get mad if he gets pinch hit for or something and that attitude can effect the team, but I'm just talking about during the game in which he's playing.

Kilroy
05-09-2002, 06:24 PM
I hope you were joking and if not,have you ever participated in sports? Selfish players never help a team win.

I played 6 years of baseball and 8 of football and basketball. I know what team play is.

If you are the DH, and you concentrate on walks, rbi, and hits, exactly how are you hurting your team? I'm pretty sure that's the DH's job. The exceptions, and I did say there were some, would be if you need to hit behind to advance a runner, or maybe take a strike to allow a stolen base. We're not expecting him to give himself up with a bunt, are we? Remember, we're talking DH.

MarqSox
05-09-2002, 06:39 PM

The exceptions, and I did say there were some, would be if you need to hit behind to advance a runner, or maybe take a strike to allow a stolen base. We're not expecting him to give himself up with a bunt, are we? Remember, we're talking DH.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out the exceptions. There is a mindset when you start concentrating on personal statistics that you fail to do the little things. Instead of hitting behind a runner, taking a strike, taking a walk, going the opposite field -- you start sacrificing those things for the home run. Ask Shammy Sideshow. You think he ever goes up there looking for a single to right? HELL NO! It's situations like that that differentiate winning baseball with personal statistics.

:shammy
The fans, they no like the singles, they like the home ruhh.

bjmarte
05-09-2002, 06:46 PM
And I may have misquoted him. He may have been talking about his overall attitude rather than his actual accomplishments.

Kilroy
05-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Instead of hitting behind a runner, taking a strike, taking a walk, going the opposite field -- you start sacrificing those things for the home run.

Concentrating on personal statistics doesn't mean just hitting home runs. You're thinking too narrow.

When Frank steps into the box, are you really thinking he should be trying only to advance the runner? "Single to right" means nothing, because a single is a single and it doesn't matter what field it went to.

Should he be looking to go to right or looking for something to drive -- to anywhere?

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2002, 11:57 AM
"Single to right" means nothing, because a single is a single and it doesn't matter what field it went to.

Should he be looking to go to right or looking for something to drive -- to anywhere?
I agree that a hitter like Frank should be looking to drive the ball. However, I disagree that a single is a single, regardless of what field. With a runner on first, he has a shot to go to third on a single to right because it's a very long throw to third. On a single to left, he definitely stays at second.

MarqSox
05-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

I agree that a hitter like Frank should be looking to drive the ball. However, I disagree that a single is a single, regardless of what field. With a runner on first, he has a shot to go to third on a single to right because it's a very long throw to third. On a single to left, he definitely stays at second.

Thanks Nellie for making my point.

voodoochile
05-10-2002, 12:21 PM

Taking this a step further -

A player cannot decide to get a hit. They can decide to hit the ball to the right side and hope for the best. A hit to the second baseman is less likely to be turned into a DP in the above scenario, due to the more difficult pivot, harder time making a strong throw to second - because momentum is carrying the second baseman away from the bag and the extra length on the first throw.

Also, if a player is on second, a hit to the right side definitely moves that runner to third no matter whether it goes through or not, a hit to the SS/3B rarely advances that runner.

Actually to me this appears to be one of the reasons Frank is struggling recently. He is hitting everything to the right side because that is the way the pitchers are pitching him. He has been turning much better on the inside pitches than in years past, but hasn't found a comfort zone hitting to the right side. If he ever does find a way to turn those popups into line drives, he will once again start killing the opposition. I think it will happen eventually, but have no idea when. Head down on contact, Frank, head down on contact...

RedPinStripes
05-10-2002, 12:22 PM

We need WSI to be more of a big brother.

Oh they're watching. :D:

guillen4life13
05-10-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/shammy.jpg
I like dis guy! You know, the fans, they like when I hit da home ruhh.

yo creo te gustaria a hablar "jorun"

i think that spanish is correct. i'm tryin to say "i believe you wanted to say "jorun"

OfficerKarkovice
05-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

yo creo te gustaria a hablar "jorun"

i think that spanish is correct. i'm tryin to say "i believe you wanted to say "jorun"

pretty close...the verb for "to want" is querer...not gustar like you used...that means "to like"

guillen4life13
05-10-2002, 09:21 PM
pero "gustaria" se llamma "would like" almost the same thing as quisiera

StepsInSC
05-11-2002, 01:55 AM
Personally I'd rather have Thomas having huge numbers like he did in his glory days and back to back MVP years then the White Sox winning like they are now. I don't expect anyone else to feel that way....but I was about 8 years old when Thomas came up to the majors and I had tracked him and ole Bo Jackson throughout their careers at Auburn and even though I'm a huge Sox fan now...if Thomas wasn't on the team I don't know what I would do. Every day (since I dont get most of the games on TV here) the first thing I do is look through the paper to see how Thomas did, and then to see if the White Sox won.

The thing about baseball is one person's mentality isn't going to get the team a WS ring. Being a team player but popping out more isn't better then being obsessed with stats but PRODUCING, in my book. Baseball isn't basketball, many of the greatest baseball players ever have never won the big dance. I just want to see Thomas in the HoF.

Kilroy
05-11-2002, 11:04 AM

True. But getting the runner from first to third is a bonus. The "job" to get done, is to get him into scoring position. But again, the DH isn't asked to do that "job".