PDA

View Full Version : Carrasco optioned

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
COYRIGHTED TEXT

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/07/sox-option-carr.html

TDog
07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
As expected.

MCHSoxFan
07-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I heard it 780 am @ 3:34 PM!!!! I get the credit!!!!

MCHSoxFan
07-17-2008, 04:10 PM
As expected.

Yeah, it was. BTW, HURRY!!!! Post 1 more thing for 7,000!!! :smile:

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2008, 04:13 PM
They decided to keep Russell, obviously. Maybe they're getting a little leery of having ex-KC relievers in the pen.

oeo
07-17-2008, 04:16 PM
They decided to keep Russell, obviously. Maybe they're getting a little leery of having ex-KC relievers in the pen.

Russell makes me nervous, so I'd rather have Carrasco based on how he pitched on Friday. But hopefully it's moot and we won't even have to see Russell very often.

hi im skot
07-17-2008, 04:16 PM

Um...congratulations...?

:?:

turners56
07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
He was good while he was here though. 5.1 innings of one run ball vs. the Rangers is quite a feat.

Adele_H
07-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Russell makes me nervous, so I'd rather have Carrasco based on how he pitched on Friday. But hopefully it's moot and we won't even have to see Russell very often.

Russell is not polished or experienced, to be sure, but in limited action he's been fairly tough to hit (hard) - even Michael Young's hit was on a good sinker that is just a ground-out on a slower USCF turf. He deservedly picked up 3 quick Wins in a week's time and has showed promise as he did a few springs ago.

Carasco on the other hand has a track record of someone who consistently failed even in low-pressure games in KC. His outing in Texas was nice, but it was essentially garbage time.

The key to the pen in the 2nd half is basically keeping Jenks healthy and Linebrink, Dotel and Thornton reasonably fresh. Logan, Masset and Russell will be fine in limited doses.

MCHSoxFan
07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Um...congratulations...?

:?:

I was just playing around. Except, I did actually here it on 780 @ that time.

MCHSoxFan
07-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Russell is not polished or experienced, to be sure, but in limited action he's been fairly tough to hit (hard) - even Michael Young's hit was on a good sinker that is just a ground-out on a slower USCF turf. He deservedly picked up 3 quick Wins in a week's time and has showed promise as he did a few springs ago.

Carasco on the other hand has a track record of someone who consistently failed even in low-pressure games in KC. His outing in Texas was nice, but it was essentially garbage time.

The key to the pen in the 2nd half is basically keeping Jenks healthy and Linebrink, Dotel and Thornton reasonably fresh. Logan, Masset and Russell will be fine in limited doses.

All true. Fore sure the third part.

Tragg
07-17-2008, 05:15 PM

The key to the pen in the 2nd half is basically keeping Jenks healthy and Linebrink, Dotel and Thornton reasonably fresh. Logan, Masset and Russell will be fine in limited doses.Well-said

JB98
07-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Good post. Agree on all points.

Carrasco has a history of mediocrity. He helped us out for one day at Texas, but it could be fools' gold. Russell needs some polish, but he has good stuff, good upside. If Ozzie picks good spots for Russell, he'll be a help to the staff.

oeo
07-17-2008, 05:34 PM

I like Russell's pure stuff, and think he can be a solid reliever down the line. That said, he gets behind in the count too much for my liking. He hasn't gotten touched up yet, but always working from behind is never good.

Carasco on the other hand has a track record of someone who consistently failed even in low-pressure games in KC. His outing in Texas was nice, but it was essentially garbage time.I don't really care what time it was...Texas was hitting everything before he came in.

ChiSoxFan7
07-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Good post. Agree on all points.

Carrasco has a history of mediocrity. He helped us out for one day at Texas, but it could be fools' gold. Russell needs some polish, but he has good stuff, good upside. If Ozzie picks good spots for Russell, he'll be a help to the staff.

what do you mean good spots? Like high pressure or garbage innings?

JB98
07-17-2008, 05:52 PM
what do you mean good spots? Like high pressure or garbage innings?

Starting his own inning. I don't like the idea of him coming in with men on base because he's deep in counts and he walks guys.

Your more veteran relievers, like Dotel and Thornton, can come in with guys on base and clean up the mess. They pitch well in traffic. They rely on the wisdom of their experience. A younger guy, you have to bring along more slowly.

I don't have a problem with using Russell in pressure situations. He's already come through for the Sox a couple times with the game on the line. But until he gets more experience, he needs to start his own inning.

JB98
07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
I like Russell's pure stuff, and think he can be a solid reliever down the line. That said, he gets behind in the count too much for my liking. He hasn't gotten touched up yet, but always working from behind is never good.

I don't really care what time it was...Texas was hitting everything before he came in.

Not really. Floyd walked the world in that game. That was more self-inflicted wounds than great Texas hitting.

cws05champ
07-17-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm going to leave this on my board all day and give you full credit Mr. Spicole.... Well allright!

Lillian
07-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I think many of you are underestimating Carrasco. He looked very good in Spring Training, and he did well at Charlotte. That long relief appearance against the potent Rangers' offense was impressive.
He would like to start, and has done so in the past. He's a capable pitcher with a nice assortment of pitches. Of course, he's not a top of the rotation guy, but he could be a serviceable 5th starter, if Jose doesn't get his act together.
Perhaps he will be given a starting job at Charlotte, and get stretched out, so that he'll be ready to step into that role, if needed.

bigdommer
07-18-2008, 11:19 AM
I think many of you are underestimating Carrasco. He looked very good in Spring Training, and he did well at Charlotte. That long relief appearance against the potent Rangers' offense was impressive.
He would like to start, and has done so in the past. He's a capable pitcher with a nice assortment of pitches. Of course, he's not a top of the rotation guy, but he could be a serviceable 5th starter, if Jose doesn't get his act together.
Perhaps he will be given a starting job at Charlotte, and get stretched out, so that he'll be ready to step into that role, if needed.

Maybe KW the wizard will package Carrasco with Konerko to pick up a power hitting, gold glove centerfielder.

Adele_H
07-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Maybe KW the wizard will package Carrasco with Konerko to pick up a power hitting, gold glove centerfielder.

Corey Patterson?

Mohoney
07-19-2008, 05:50 AM
I don't have a problem with using Russell in pressure situations. He's already come through for the Sox a couple times with the game on the line. But until he gets more experience, he needs to start his own inning.

Great post. I like to see relievers start a fresh inning as often as possible. They get to throw warm-ups on the field mound without being rushed, they get to face the first batter from the wind-up, they don't have to worry about holding a runner on, etc.

ChiSoxFan7
07-19-2008, 11:03 AM
is the whole starting your own inning really that much of a difference?

is it the mental aspect or the physical? (pitching from the stretch)

Lip Man 1
07-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Chisox:

I think it's more mental than physical but keep this is mind. A closer who comes into a game with men already on base has even less margin for error then if he comes in to start an inning, get a feel for things and has at least a small margin to figure out what's working and what isn't.

Lip