PDA

View Full Version : Rozner: President Bush monitors Danks

DrCrawdad
07-17-2008, 07:03 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/images/columnist/story/barry_rozner.jpgSox' Danks has presidential seal of approval (http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=221543)Very interesting column by Barry Rozner today! Apparently President Bush follows Danks career. The President checks the box scores and tells the White House director of communications, Kevin Sullivan who is a Sox fan, when Danks pitches a good game.

Hitmen77
07-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Yeah, but we gave up a proven workhorse (McCarthy) to get Danks!

kraut83
07-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Great article!

It's nice to see Danks make such a good impression on others!

aryzner
07-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Well hopefully Danks can be in this same situation here in 2008:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/WhiteSox_President.jpeg

:D:

Railsplitter
07-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Also GW is the guy who sent us Wilson Alverez.

Thome25
07-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I thought of something while reading that article.......How should we grade the McCarthy-Danks trade as of right now?

I know when the trade was made there was posters on this site who were roasting KW for trading McCarthy. What do those folks think
now?

ondafarm
07-17-2008, 08:30 AM
I thought of something while reading that article.......How should we grade the McCarthy-Danks trade as of right now?

I know when the trade was made there was posters on this site who were roasting KW for trading McCarthy. What do those folks think
now?

I have to say I was a little surprised by it. I saw it as pushing back two years the arrival of two SPs for giving up a rotation-ready SP. I'm always a little cautious when dealing for prospects. Just because a guy can perform at A, AA and even AAA doesn't guarentee he can/ will perform at the Major League level.

On the other hand, KW knew his stuff and pulled off a good trade. I wasn't lambasting KW over the trade at the time, but I did express concern if he knew what he was doing. Well, he did.

tebman
07-17-2008, 08:43 AM

now?

Phil Rogers called it "despicable." :tongue:

oeo
07-17-2008, 08:44 AM

Wow, Dye and Paulie have hair in that photo.

FedEx227
07-17-2008, 09:09 AM

now?

I remember I was always in pretty good favor.

Anytime you can do a 2 for 1 SP, with similar trackrecords and essentially make it a Lefty for Righty then there's no doubt you go with the 2 and the lefty.

skottyj242
07-17-2008, 09:13 AM

They usually don't go until the next year and Bush won't be in office.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2008, 09:14 AM

now?

I remember it being right around Christmas, and I was at my folks house and therefore more out of touch than usual. I remember being shocked to see McCarthy dealt, but then being relieved to see that the Sox got Danks - with whom I was familiar as a Rangers' prospect - in return.

MeteorsSox4367
07-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Check out the hair on A.J., Crede and Cotts in the background. Looks like a bad rock band.

WhiteSox5187
07-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I have to say I was a little surprised by it. I saw it as pushing back two years the arrival of two SPs for giving up a rotation-ready SP. I'm always a little cautious when dealing for prospects. Just because a guy can perform at A, AA and even AAA doesn't guarentee he can/ will perform at the Major League level.

On the other hand, KW knew his stuff and pulled off a good trade. I wasn't lambasting KW over the trade at the time, but I did express concern if he knew what he was doing. Well, he did.
That's what confused me too. I figured we were giving up a major league ready guy for two AA guys more or less. Well, I was wrong. Looking back on it, with the exception of the bullpen and Erstad most of Kenny's moves in '07 were aimed at '08.

PaleHoser
07-17-2008, 09:25 AM

And Sammy Sosa. :whiner:

voodoochile
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM

Then I suppose he sent us ShamME* too...

doublem23
07-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Then I suppose he sent us ShamME* too...

Yeah, I think when Reinsdorf and the Sox visited GWB after '05, Bush joked that one thing they had in common was they both traded away Sammy Sosa.

pmck003
07-17-2008, 10:22 AM

now?

Most folks are happy, but this one folk is still real angry.

hi im skot
07-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Most folks are happy, but this one folk is still real angry.

Why?

:?:

kittle42
07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
The President checks the box scores and tells the White House director of communications, Kevin Sullivan who is a Sox fan, when Danks pitches a good game.

If Sullivan was a Sox fan, he would know when Danks pitches a good game without having to be told. :cool:

spongyfungy
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
If Sullivan was a Sox fan, he would know when Danks pitches a good game without having to be told. :cool:

it's weird. It seems like it should be the other way around.

LoveYourSuit
07-17-2008, 11:45 AM

The funniest moment in the WH visit was how GW busted Farmio's balls when introducing him to the media. I guess no one applauded for Farmio and GW made a funny comment about it.

Good stuff.

itsnotrequired
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
The funniest moment in the WH visit was how GW busted Farmio's balls when introducing him to the media. I guess no one applauded for Farmio and GW made a funny comment about it.

Good stuff.

Didn't Farmer also wear flip-flops to the event?

skottyj242
07-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Didn't Farmer also wear flip-flops to the event?

Jay-Z was wearing shorts last time I saw him.

thomas35forever
07-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I didn't know JD had hair to begin with. He must let it grow during the offseason.

roylestillman
07-17-2008, 03:41 PM

Sully is a Sox fan, a native of Evergreen Park and a Marist alum. I get text messages from him every time Danks or Floyd takes a no hitter into the 7th.
I simply respond "Jinx."

TDog
07-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I think when Reinsdorf and the Sox visited GWB after '05, Bush joked that one thing they had in common was they both traded away Sammy Sosa.

I was at a dinner once where a letter from President Bush was read to the people in attendance. In it, the president referred to trading away Sammy Sosa shows that he made mistakes as a baseball man. As a White Sox fan, I didn't like the trade when it was made. I don't believe there has every been a moment since when I liked it.

DrCrawdad
07-17-2008, 06:38 PM

I understand it to be more of, "Hey, I see Danks pitched a gem..." Not that Sullivan is unaware but a casual conversation with the President of the United States.

And how cool would it be to be Jon Danks? You're in MLB and then you learn that the President has taken an interest in your performance?

Railsplitter
07-17-2008, 06:42 PM
And Sammy Sosa. :whiner:
We sent Sosa to the Schlubs and got George Bell. :whiner:

Martinigirl
07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I understand it to be more of, "Hey, I see Danks pitched a gem..." Not that Sullivan is unaware but a casual conversation with the President of the United States.

And how cool would it be to be Jon Danks? You're in MLB and then you learn that the President has taken an interest in your performance?

In a couple of months it could be true of the whole team.

turners56
07-17-2008, 07:18 PM

Sure tells you how long ago that was, doesn't it?

kittle42
07-17-2008, 09:51 PM
We sent Sosa to the Schlubs and got George Bell. :whiner:

We wouldn't have made the playoffs in 1993 without Bell, and we got rid of one of the biggest hams and self-promoting jackasses in baseball history. I still like the Sox end of that trade! :D:

gobears1987
07-17-2008, 10:17 PM
http://www.grizzoulian.com/frank-costanza.jpg

Frank Costanza: You mentioned George's name to Mayor Dinkins? You
discussed George with the mayor of New York?

Estelle Costanza: Dinkins was talking about you. He was discussing you.

George Costanza: You know, Lloyd, I've been to the doctor - there's really
nothing they can do.

Frank Costanza: Hey, Mayor Dinkins set this up for you. You know what
kind of a doctor this must be if Dinkins knows him?

thomas35forever
07-17-2008, 11:14 PM
We wouldn't have made the playoffs in 1993 without Bell, and we got rid of one of the biggest hams and self-promoting jackasses in baseball history. I still like the Sox end of that trade! :D:
But he's still a legend on the North Side! There's no proof he juiced up! He's clean, I tells ya! CLEAN!

Nellie_Fox
07-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Giving up Sosa wasn't the big deal. It was giving up Harold to get him that pissed me off.

TommyJohn
07-18-2008, 08:08 AM

There was a time when I hated the Sosa-for-Bell deal, and I'm sure many
others would have if the trade had been made with say, the San Diego
Padres. But as time went on I realized we were spared the stigma of
Sosa's home run heroics being allegedly artificially enhanced. So I think
it turned out to be a good trade in the long run.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that George Bell's special contributions
to the 1993 White Sox were a .217 BA and a big ass mouth that got him
benched for the duration of the playoffs, after which he was given a one
way ticket out of town.

kittle42
07-18-2008, 09:54 AM
There was a time when I hated the Sosa-for-Bell deal, and I'm sure many
others would have if the trade had been made with say, the San Diego
Padres. But as time went on I realized we were spared the stigma of
Sosa's home run heroics being allegedly artificially enhanced. So I think
it turned out to be a good trade in the long run.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that George Bell's special contributions
to the 1993 White Sox were a .217 BA and a big ass mouth that got him
benched for the duration of the playoffs, after which he was given a one
way ticket out of town.

Tell me when you hit it. :tongue:

BRDSR
07-18-2008, 10:19 AM
That's a great article. I thought the quip about Nolan Ryan at the end was funny. It's true, everytime I see a picture of Ryan it looks like he's going to give someone the Ventura treatment.

:nolanventura