PDA

View Full Version : All-Cubs Channel

sox230
07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
OH MY GOD THIS WOULD BE AWFUL. My question is, why would the Tribune create its channel when its SELLING the team? This is proof that they are all Cubs fans and don't give a damn about journalism. I always said the Trib is the real evil empire, just way more pathetic than the Yankees. This scares me though.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-wed-cubs-comcast-jul16,1,5987136.story

ilsox7
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Someone is so obsessed with the Cubs that they didn't even read the article. Shocking, I know.

mrfourni
07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
I'd be all for it. Because then over the summer months, CSN would in essence becaome an all sox channel.

Scottiehaswheels
07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
There's already an all Cubs channel. WGN.

UofCSoxFan
07-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Truth.

hose
07-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd be all for it. Because then over the summer months, CSN would in essence becaome an all sox channel.

I agree.

PatK
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
It seems to me that it may not be worth the risk.

Sure, Cubs viewership is up right now, but that's because they are doing so well. Remember 2006, when the Sox had better ratings?

eriqjaffe
07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I'd be all for it. Because then over the summer months, CSN would in essence becaome an all sox channel.Fixed that for you. They'd just fill in the time they used to spend broadcasting the Cubs into time spent talking about the Cubs.

white sox bill
07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Sign me up!

spawn
07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Someone is so obsessed with the Cubs that they didn't even read the article. Shocking, I know.
No kidding. I guess he missed the part that said this could be a possibility with new ownership after the Cubs contract with CSN expires in 2019.:rolleyes:

white sox bill
07-16-2008, 04:07 PM
No kidding. I guess he missed the part that said this could be a possibility with new ownership after the Cubs contract with CSN expires in 2019.:rolleyes:

Hopefully by then the Sox will have won another 5 World Series, starting a dynasty and the cubs will be the other team in Chicago that draws 1.2 million fans per yr

EuroSox35
07-16-2008, 05:18 PM
It better be some extra pay per month thing, better not be raising my cable bill :angry:

kittle42
07-16-2008, 07:41 PM
It better be some extra pay per month thing, better not be raising my cable bill :angry:

if you're worrying now about your cable bill in 2019, you need to worry less.

Hitmen77
07-16-2008, 10:50 PM

No, it must be a typo....they meant 2009!!!

This just sounds like a slow Cubs news day article by the Trib. Other teams with huge fan bases already have such channels, so this isn't a surprise and doesn't tell me anything new.

soxpride724
07-17-2008, 08:52 AM

Pretty much....

skottyj242
07-17-2008, 09:28 AM

:rolling::stooges:

Frontman
07-17-2008, 09:43 AM
It seems to me that it may not be worth the risk.

Sure, Cubs viewership is up right now, but that's because they are doing so well. Remember 2006, when the Sox had better ratings?

The Cubs have had solid ratings for 20 plus years. I for one think its a smart business move if they do start one.

kittle42
07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
The Cubs have had solid ratings for 20 plus years. I for one think its a smart business move if they do start one.

Agreed. There really isn't much risk here. And look how much money YES has raked in for the Yanks.

UofCSoxFan
07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Agreed. There really isn't much risk here. And look how much money YES has raked in for the Yanks.

There's a risk if it turns into a "Big Ten Network" type deal where they fight with cable companies who don't want to put it on their basic package. This would lead to less televised Cubs games and potentially zap them of a lot of their younger audience (read grade schoolers who are just choosing their alligiances) as well as national audience, who liked them because they always played on WGN.

I mean when the Sox moved to cable, I would say that move certainly backfired.

Granted I see there being a bigger demand for the Cubs here than the Big Ten Network, but that doesn't always matter. For example, my sister, who lives in East Lansing, Michigan, still does not have the Big Ten Network because of BTN's fight with the local cable company. Thus, many Michigan State sporting events are not televised in the very city in which they take place...which seems nuts but it is what it is.

Another question, is YES an "all-Yankess all the time network," or do they show other sports and the Yankess just have ownership in it. If it's the latter, then that doesn't seem all that different than the current Comcast Sportsnet set-up.

doublem23
07-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Another question, is YES an "all-Yankess all the time network," or do they show other sports and the Yankess just have ownership in it. If it's the latter, then that doesn't seem all that different than the current Comcast Sportsnet set-up.

Except that the Yankees reap all the profits from YES while the Cubs only take in a quarter of what CSN makes.

Foulke You
07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Don't forget CLTV.

UofCSoxFan
07-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Except that the Yankees reap all the profits from YES while the Cubs only take in a quarter of what CSN makes.

Well that's what I'm asking...does YES show other sporting events...in which case they would have to pay fees to the Nets, Knicks, Rangers...whatever.

And to be techinical about it, the Cubs current interest is less then 25% as Comcast has an onwership stake in addition to the Sox, Cubs, Hawks, and Bulls.

I mean what are they going to show between October and March? There are only so many replays of Kerry Wood's 20 strike out game that even a Cubs fan can stomach.

Frontman
07-17-2008, 02:47 PM
There's a risk if it turns into a "Big Ten Network" type deal where they fight with cable companies who don't want to put it on their basic package. This would lead to less televised Cubs games and potentially zap them of a lot of their younger audience (read grade schoolers who are just choosing their alligiances) as well as national audience, who liked them because they always played on WGN.

I mean when the Sox moved to cable, I would say that move certainly backfired.

Granted I see there being a bigger demand for the Cubs here than the Big Ten Network, but that doesn't always matter. For example, my sister, who lives in East Lansing, Michigan, still does not have the Big Ten Network because of BTN's fight with the local cable company. Thus, many Michigan State sporting events are not televised in the very city in which they take place...which seems nuts but it is what it is.

How is the chance of the Cubs being a higher tier (and therefor, not seen by all) network bad for Sox fans?