PDA

View Full Version : What are your post season predictions?

Rockabilly
07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
the way I think it will go

White Sox over Tampa Bay
Angels Over Red Sox

White Sox over Angels

NL

Cubs over LA
Mets over Milw

Cubs over Mets

White Sox over Cubs in 6 games

Rocky Soprano
07-16-2008, 03:39 PM
the way I think it will go

White Sox over Tampa Bay
Angels Over Red Sox

White Sox over Angels

NL

Cubs over LA
Mets over Milw

Cubs over Mets

White Sox over Cubs in 6 games

Wow.
Will Chicago be burned in your prediction? :smile:

aryzner
07-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Am I a bad White Sox fan if I don't see the Sox getting past any of those other 3 AL teams in the playoffs?

SOXfnNlansing
07-16-2008, 03:51 PM
AL EAST: BOS AL CENTRAL: MIN AL WEST: LAA NL EAST: PHI NL CENTRAL: cub NL WEST: WHO KNOWS OR CARES AL WC: SOX NL WC: FLA

AL: SOX OVER BOS/LAA OVER MIN NL: FLA OVER cub/PHI OVER WHOEVER

AL: LAA OVER SOX NL: FLA OVER PHI

WS: LAA

TDog
07-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I doubt that either the Cubs or the White Sox will make it to the World Series. At least one Chicago team will make it to the postseason, though.

whitesox901
07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Al East: Bos
Al Central: Sox
Al West: Laa
Al Wc: Tb

Nl East: Nym
Nl Central: Chc
Nl West: Arz
Nl Wc: Mil

Alds/nlds:
Sox @ Bos
Tb @ Laa
Nym @ Mil
Arz @ Chc

Alcs/nlcs:
Sox @ Laa
Nym @ Chc

Ws:
Chc @ Sox (sox Win At 7)

Law11
07-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Good Sox vs. Angels ALCS
Phillies Cubs NLCS.

I havent drank enough of the good stuff yet to predict anything more.

I cant imagine this town if "IT" happens.
can you imagine trying to get any work done that week?

I was a nut job in 05...

Marqhead
07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't want the Sox to face the Cubs in the WS?

soxpride724
07-16-2008, 04:28 PM
A.L East: Red Sox
A.L Central: Sox
A.L West: Angels
Wild card: Rays

N.L East: New York
N.L Central: Cubs
N.L West: Arizona
Wild Card: Brewers

aryzner
07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
No. I really don't want that to happen either.

TDog
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM

No. A White Sox-Cubs World Series and the accompanying riots (regardless of who wins) could cost thousands of lives.

Maybe not. But it would get very ugly.

I honestly don't think the Cubs will win their division, though. I can only hope the Sox win their division.

ondafarm
What I would worry about if the Cubs get in the World Series: the only team to ever, ever, ever lose a World Series to the Cubs is the Detroit Tigers. How'd you like to join that club?

oeo
Am I a bad White Sox fan if I don't see the Sox getting past any of those other 3 AL teams in the playoffs?

No...just please explain. The Sox have the best pitching of all of them.

sox1970
07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
White Sox at Red Sox
Twins at Angels

Diamondbacks at Cubs
Brewers at Mets

ALCS: White Sox at Angels

NLCS: Brewers at Cubs

WS: Cubs at White Sox

Winner: White Sox in 7

WhiteSox5187
07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't want to see it for two reasons:

1. Safety, I think the city would have to fall under martial law to prevent Sox and Cubs fans from killing each other.

2. If, IF we lost...it would be unbearable.

Marqhead
07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't want to see it for two reasons:

1. Safety, I think the city would have to fall under martial law to prevent Sox and Cubs fans from killing each other.

2. If, IF we lost...it would be unbearable.

My thoughts exactly. I might sound like a wuss, but the thought of the Cubs winning a world series sickens me, I can't describe how I'd feel if we were the team to lose to them.

The Milkman
07-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Don't hate because I haven't started bonging the kool-aid yet...

AL East (best record): their sox
AL West: LAA (#2 record)
AL Central: White Sox
AL WC: TB

NL East: Metropolitans (#2 record)
NL Central: Hateable Losers (best record)
NL West: AZ
NL WC: Brewers

ALDS: White Sox @ Red Sox - Red Sox
TB @ LAA -- LAA

NLDS: AZ @ Losers -- Losers
Brewers @ Mets -- Brewers

LAA @ Red Sox -- LAA
Brewers @ Losers -- Brewers

Brewers @ LAA WS -- LAA

Hitmen77
07-16-2008, 05:30 PM

No. I don't want the Sox to face the Cubs either. Even if we beat the Cubs, we'll hear a ton about is how the poor old lovable Cubbies won the pennant but fell just short.....and no doubt there will be some close or questionable call that people will jump all over as evidence of how the bad old Sox beat the good old lovable Cubs.

Daver
07-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Two teams that finished as also rans in their league will be in the playoffs because Bud Selig felt it necessary to use the wildcard as a shameless ploy to increase revenue.

Cuck the Fubs
07-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Even if the Sox lost to the Cubs.........

Would it matter.

We can just tell them 24 hours post victory to stop living in the past.

asindc
07-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Two teams that finished as also rans in their league will be in the playoffs because Bud Selig felt it necessary to use the wildcard as a shameless ploy to increase revenue.

I like the wild card. I prefer seeing a 2nd place team with a better record than a division winner also get a playoff berth than not. Also, the % of teams making the playoffs now is probably about the same as just before division play started.

Anyway, my predictions:

AL:

East: Boston
Central: SOX
West: LAA
WC: Twins

ALDS:

SOX @ LAA- SOX
Twins @ Boston- Boston

ALCS:

SOX @ Boston- Boston (As much as I hate typing this, I see it this way as of now)

NL:

East: NY
Central: Cubs
West: Ariz.
WC: Milwaukee

NLDS:

Ariz. @ Cubs- Cubs
Mil. @ NY- NY

NLCS:

NY @ Cubs- Cubs

World Series (Nightmare Edition):

Cubs @ Boston- [I can't even make a prediction here... never mind]

RKMeibalane
07-16-2008, 08:07 PM
AL East:
Boston Red Sox
AL Central:
Chicago White Sox
AL West:
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
WC:
Tampa Bay Rays
NL East:
Philadelphia Phillies
NL Central:
St. Louis Cardinals
NL West:
Arizona Diamondbacks
WC:
Chicago Cubs

ALDS:
Chicago White Sox def. Boston Red Sox
Tampa Bay Rays def. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
NLDS:
Philadelphia Phillies def. Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals def. Arizona Diamondbacks
ALCS:
Chicago White Sox def. Tampa Bay Rays
NLCS:
Philadelphia Phillies def. St. Louis Cardinals
WS:
Philadelphia Phillies def. Chicago White Sox

illini81887
07-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Whitesox over Tampa 4
Angels over Redsox 5
Whitesox over Angels 6

Cubs over Dodgers 3
Brewers over Mets 5
Brewers over Cubs 7

Whitesox over Brewers 6

PatK
07-16-2008, 08:15 PM

Remember 2005?

When it came to the "experts".

The Sox weren't going to beat the Carmines.

They weren't going to beat the Angels.

They weren't going to beat the Houston.

But you know what happened.

That being said, it's the All-Star break and it's way too early to make playoff predictions.

For reference, see the 1977 Cubs and Sox, and last year's Mets and Rockies.

Railsplitter
07-16-2008, 08:54 PM
We'll miss a great moment involving a cermonial first pitch be Fox is showing talking pinheads in a studio.

STRETCH!!!
07-16-2008, 11:00 PM
No. I don't want the Sox to face the Cubs either. Even if we beat the Cubs, we'll hear a ton about is how the poor old lovable Cubbies won the pennant but fell just short.....and no doubt there will be some close or questionable call that people will jump all over as evidence of how the bad old Sox beat the good old lovable Cubs.

Sure, there would be some nuts who go overboard and some sad things would happen, but it would be an event like no other. If it only comes around once in every two lifetimes, I want to happen in my lifetime. I think the energy level in the city would be electric and it would be incredibly exciting. 99.999999% of us would survive, no matter what the outcome.

Bring it on!

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2008, 12:58 AM
No. A White Sox-Cubs World Series and the accompanying riots (regardless of who wins) could cost thousands of lives.

Maybe not. But it would get very ugly.
I posted the exact same idea at another board I frequent. A Cubs fan quoted me in agreement.
Sure, there would be some nuts who go overboard and some sad things would happen, but it would be an event like no other. If it only comes around once in every two lifetimes, I want to happen in my lifetime. I think the energy level in the city would be electric and it would be incredibly exciting. 99.999999% of us would survive, no matter what the outcome.

Bring it on!
I could not take that week to week-and-a-half! I STILL get a more uncomfortable feeling when watching Sox/Cubs games than any other games during the season, even post-2005, which gave us the current trump card that we all hold as Sox fans! I'd be able to eat less than the small amounts I was able to right before the '05 World Series! I'm sure a ton of other fans would have similar experiences of uneasy feelings.

My children and grandchildren can experience it...Just let me be six feet under before it happens.

TDog
07-17-2008, 01:51 AM

I could not take that week to week-and-a-half! I STILL get a more uncomfortable feeling when watching Sox/Cubs games than any other games during the season, even post-2005, which gave us the current trump card that we all hold as Sox fans! I'd be able to eat less than the small amounts I was able to right before the '05 World Series! I'm sure a ton of other fans would have similar experiences of uneasy feelings.

My children and grandchildren can experience it...Just let me be six feet under before it happens.

In what you quoted, I like the part about how ALMOST everyone would survive.

If the Cubs went to the World Series and won, there would be rioting without question. If the Cubs went to the World Series and lost to the White Sox, there would be rioting, without question. But I don't believe the Cubs will go to the World Series. Something goes wrong. Something always goes wrong. It's not about curses, it's about the fact that getting to the World Series isn't easy.

The only prediction I have, however, is that the Rays will finish no better than third.

chisoxfanatic
07-17-2008, 02:23 AM
If the Cubs went to the World Series and won, there would be rioting without question.
Yep, I can agree with you on that. And, apparently, it's White Sox fans who are savages, even though we had a very well-mannered celebration in 2005 with not a single riot on the "unsafe" south side! :rolleyes:

WSox597
07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Actually, I'd like to see the White Sox win it all wthout participation by the team 8 miles north.

In the 100th year of their futility, I'd like to see them not even make the playoffs, while the Sox win it all.

That would be so sweet. :D:

pythons007
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I actually see the Brewers in the World Series, not the Cubs this year. As for the AL, I want to believe the White Sox are there. However, I believe in jinxes and I will not put them there until they are there.

turners56
07-17-2008, 10:47 AM

No, just a pessimistic realist.

turners56
07-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I actually see the Brewers in the World Series, not the Cubs this year. As for the AL, I want to believe the White Sox are there. However, I believe in jinxes and I will not put them there until they are there.

Bad bullpens don't get anywhere. Unless the Brewers slug their way to the series (which most likely won't happen), they aren't getting there. With the Mets getting hot, I have a hard time believing that the Brewers can even win the Wild Card now.

turners56
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't want one. The city will go mad.

PaleHoser
07-17-2008, 10:57 AM
My father was a life-long Cub fan. I learned from his pain and became a Sox fan very early in life, much to his chagrin.

But he did leave me with this pearl of wisdom. "Son, it's not a matter of if the Cubs will lose, it's a matter of how."

The Cubs may make the post-season. If they do, they will lose. It's a certain as the sun rising tomorrow.

turners56
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
My father was a life-long Cub fan. I learned from his pain and became a Sox fan very early in life, much to his chagrin.

But he did leave me with this pearl of wisdom. "Son, it's not a matter of if the Cubs will lose, it's a matter of how."

The Cubs may make the post-season. If they do, they will lose. It's a certain as the sun rising tomorrow.

So, who's to blame this year? It'll be fun to watch. :-).

aryzner
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
No...just please explain. The Sox have the best pitching of all of them.
I am just so skeptical of this streaky offense that I can't be sure they'll have it at that time. I don't know, it just worries me.

But hey anything can happen and lord knows I'll be rooting for them to go all the way. :smile:

southside rocks
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM

You are not alone. I shudder at the very thought of that.

palehozenychicty
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM

No.

chaerulez
07-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Curses are just an excuse for failure.

The whole lovable loser thing is just a marketing gimmick, don't fall into that trap.

downstairs
07-17-2008, 12:59 PM
ALE: Tampa
ALC: White Sox
ALW: LAA
ALWC: Minnesota

NLE: Philly
NLC: Cubs
NLW: Dodgers
NLWC: Milwaukee

ALCS: White Sox over Minnesota
NLCS: Milwaukee over Cubs

WS: White Sox over Milwaukee

All-midwest playoffs!

It's Time
07-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Even if the Sox lost to the Cubs.........

Would it matter.

We can just tell them 24 hours post victory to stop living in the past.

IMO, any WS champion has bragging rights until the NEXT champion is crowned. After the final out of 05 right until the Cardinals won the WS in 06, bragging rights stayed with the White Sox, as it should with any champion.

Once you are no longer the champs, you no longer can brag.

ChiSoxFan7
07-17-2008, 01:56 PM
al
central ws
west angels
east red sox
wc tb

nl

west dodgers
central flubs
east mets
wc brewers
ws v angels
redsox v tb

ws v tb

flubs dodgers
mets brewers

brewers v flubs

flubs v tb

flubs. i hate to say it:angry:. i just fear we get inconsistent at some time in the postseason....altho the city of chicago and outlaying suburbs may riot if the ws played the cubs...

Kittle'sNeighbor
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
AL E: Red Sox
AL C: White Sox
AL W: Angels
AL WC: Yankees

NL E: Mets
NL C: Brewers
NL W: Dodgers
NL WC: Cubs

ALDS:

NYY @ CHW
LAA @ BOS

NLDS:

CHC @ NYM
LAD @ MIL

ALCS:

BOS @ CHW

NLCS:

CHC @ MIL

World Series:

MIL @ CHW

White Sox in 7

:gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:

getonbckthr
07-17-2008, 03:30 PM
AL
e- TB
c- CWS
w- LAA
wc- MIN
NL
e- PHI
c- CHC
w- LAD
wc-STL

1st round
CWS over TB
MIN over LAA
CHC over LAD
PHI over STL

ALCS
CWS over MIN
PHI over CHC

World Series
CHW over Philly (thank you all star game)

I would love to see an all-chicago series. 1 of 2 scenarios play out. 1) We are champions 2) we lose to the Cubs and Kenny and Jerry are so irate that the "cheap" moniker is forever lost.

TDog
07-17-2008, 04:15 PM

I would love to see an all-chicago series. 1 of 2 scenarios play out. 1) We are champions 2) we lose to the Cubs and Kenny and Jerry are so irate that the "cheap" moniker is forever lost.

If this were 1967, when the Sox hit the All-Star break in first place two games ahead of the Tigers despite a doubleheader loss (after being in first place since May 17, the date in 2008 the Sox would take over first with a win in San Francisco) and the Cubs in second were just 3.5 games behind the Cardinals, I wouldn't mind both the Sox and Cubs finishing first. If you finished first, you went to the World Series. That changed in 1969. If the Cubs and Sox make it to the postseason, the Sox coverage would take on the aura of an afterthought. They would be the "in other news" team in the national media. In the Chicago media, the Sox would only get attention as it pertained to the Cubs. From what I read, that was the way it was in 1906. The media in the city would openly pull for the Cubs because the Sox just won the World Series a few years ago.

Part of what made winning the World Series so great was seeing pictures of the Sox cap atop the Picasso and seeing the buildings in the Chicago skyline light up to root for the Sox.

The big problem with both teams finishing first, which hasn't happened in 102 years, is that even if they do, the chances are that there won't be a city series. While I would love to see the Sox make the World Series and play the team that beat the Cubs in the division or championship series, I wouldn't want to see the Cubs get to the series after the Sox were eliminated. September and October 2005 had so many emotional highs and lows (with the greatest collapse in baseball history that I read about). I can't imagine what it would have been like if the Sox hadn't clinched in Detroit and if they had played every postseason series to the limit.

And I can't imagine the intensity of an October with both the Sox and the Cubs driving toward a World Series. Diehard Cubs fans would have similar problems. It would be great for the casual fan, I guess. Real Chicago baseball fans might not survive.

And on another topic, I am surprised to see so many people predicting the Rays to win the East. That has to reflect wishful thinking more than prognostication.

kraut83
07-17-2008, 05:09 PM
ALE - BOS
ALC - CWS
ALW - LAA
WC - OAK

NLE - NYM
NLC - MIL
NLW - AZ
WC - PHI

ALDS: BOS over OAK, LAA over CWS
ALCS: LAA over BOS

NLDS: MIL over PHI, AZ over NYM
NLCS: MIL over AZ

WS: LAA over MIL

thomas35forever
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
If the playoffs started today:

ALDS:
Angels over Rays in 5
Red Sox over White Sox in 3

NLDS:
Cubs over D'backs in 5
Phillies over Cardinals in 3

ALCS:
Red Sox over Angels in 4

NLCS:
Phillies over Cubs in 4

World Series:
Phillies over Red Sox in 7

Don't ask me how I came to these, but it's just how it is.

the1tab
07-17-2008, 09:58 PM
NL E - Mets
NL C - Cubs
NL W - Arizona
NL WC - Milwaukee

NLDS: Arizona @ Cubs - Cubs sweep (make up for last year)
NLDS: Milwaukee @ Mets - Milwaukee in a full set
NLCS: Brewers @ Cubs - Cubs in 6

AL E - Boston
AL C - Sox
AL W - LAA
AL WC - Tampa

ALDS: Tampa @ Sox - Tampa in full set
ALDS: LAA @ Boston - Boston in full series
ALCS: Tampa @ Boston - Boston in 5

God help us....

Cubs @ Boston World Series... Cubs in 5.

If I were picking this for 2009 I would have Tampa over Philadelphia.

palehozenychicty
07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
NL E - Mets
NL C - Cubs
NL W - Arizona
NL WC - Milwaukee

NLDS: Arizona @ Cubs - Cubs sweep (make up for last year)
NLDS: Milwaukee @ Mets - Milwaukee in a full set
NLCS: Brewers @ Cubs - Cubs in 6

AL E - Boston
AL C - Sox
AL W - LAA
AL WC - Tampa

ALDS: Tampa @ Sox - Tampa in full set
ALDS: LAA @ Boston - Boston in full series
ALCS: Tampa @ Boston - Boston in 5

God help us....

Cubs @ Boston World Series... Cubs in 5.

If I were picking this for 2009 I would have Tampa over Philadelphia.

I am not saying the Cubs don't have the ability to beat Boston, but I doubt they do it in five games. They're still the Cubs, dammit! :D:

palehozenychicty
07-18-2008, 10:31 AM
My picks:

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Good Guys
AL West: Angels
Wild Card: Devil Dogs (Rays)

NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Brewers
NL West: Dodgers
Wild Card: Mets break the Cubs hearts yet again! Viva 1969 and 2004!

ALDS: Devil Dogs d. Angels
Good Guys d. Red Sox

NLDS: Brewers d. Dodgers
Mets d. Phillies

ALCS: Good Guys over Devil Dogs

NLCS: Mets upset Brewers

World Series is the "Second Series", Queens v. South Side...Good Guys defeat Mets in an epic, 7-game series!

Soxman219
07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
ALC: White Sox
ALE: Red Sox
ALW: Angels
WC: Yankees - I don't think New York will let them lose

NLC: Brewers, the Cubs will choke
NLE: Philles
NLW: Giants - I have a feeling that they are this year's Rockies.
WC: Braves - They will have a huge 2nd half.

ALDS:
W.Sox over Yankees
Red Sox over Angels

NLDS:
Phillies over Giants
Braves over Brewers

ALCS:
W.Sox over R.Sox in 6

NLCS:
Braves over Phillies in 7

WS:
White Sox over Braves in 4

ondafarm
07-18-2008, 12:22 PM
ALE - BOS
ALC - CWS
ALW - LAA
WC - TBR

NLE - NYM
NLC - Cubs
NLW - AZ
WC - Milwaukee

ALDS: TBR over LAA, CWS over BOS
ALCS: CWS over TBR

NLDS: Cubs over AZ, NYM over Milwaukee
NLCS: Cubs over NYM

WS: CWS over Cubs

palehozenychicty
07-18-2008, 02:00 PM
ALE - BOS
ALC - CWS
ALW - LAA
WC - TBR

NLE - NYM
NLC - Cubs
NLW - AZ
WC - Milwaukee

ALDS: TBR over LAA, CWS over BOS
ALCS: CWS over TBR

NLDS: Cubs over AZ, NYM over Milwaukee
NLCS: Cubs over NYM

WS: CWS over Cubs

If this happens, then we won't hear from the Cubune and its dorktastic fans for a little while. The dream is too nice! :D:

ondafarm
07-18-2008, 02:19 PM
If this happens, then we won't hear from the Cubune and its dorktastic fans for a little while. The dream is too nice! :D:

Kind of like what happened in Chain Reaction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_Reaction_%28film%29) when the whole south side gets obliterated?

the1tab
07-18-2008, 03:46 PM
I am not saying the Cubs don't have the ability to beat Boston, but I doubt they do it in five games. They're still the Cubs, dammit! :D:

In a 2-3-2 format, I think the Cubs have the ability to beat Boston or anybody else in 5 for the following reasons:

Look at the teams possibly headed to October and tell me one, other than the White Sox, that can survive w/out their DH in the lineup? Boston w/out Ortiz might be the only exception... and that's debatable.

If you are putting the Cubs in the World Series you are also assuming that Rich Harden has stayed healthy and pitched well and Dempster doesn't wake up at some point. That gives the Cubs 3 starting pitchers who can win... which, in a short series and after watching Zambrano embarass Manny in the All Star game and Dempster look really good as well, I think the Cubs could do.

Finally, the Cubs have been nearly impossible to beat at Wrigley this year. If you add up the karma of 100 years plus the way they're playing at Wrigley, it would have to be the same as Cleveland last year - if it goes back to Boston, the Red Sox are winning it.

palehozenychicty
07-18-2008, 04:58 PM
In a 2-3-2 format, I think the Cubs have the ability to beat Boston or anybody else in 5 for the following reasons:

Look at the teams possibly headed to October and tell me one, other than the White Sox, that can survive w/out their DH in the lineup? Boston w/out Ortiz might be the only exception... and that's debatable.

If you are putting the Cubs in the World Series you are also assuming that Rich Harden has stayed healthy and pitched well and Dempster doesn't wake up at some point. That gives the Cubs 3 starting pitchers who can win... which, in a short series and after watching Zambrano embarass Manny in the All Star game and Dempster look really good as well, I think the Cubs could do.

Finally, the Cubs have been nearly impossible to beat at Wrigley this year. If you add up the karma of 100 years plus the way they're playing at Wrigley, it would have to be the same as Cleveland last year - if it goes back to Boston, the Red Sox are winning it.

Yes. It could happen. I just doubt it.