PDA

View Full Version : Was the All-Star Game poorly managed?

PatK
07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I think the ASG was poorly managed last night.

At least one more starter for the AL should have gone two innings.

Francona has Kinsler swinging away with Morneau on first, and slow footed Dioneer Navarro batting after him.

Luckily, it worked out for the AL, but I think a better job could have been done with the managing.

itsnotrequired
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I didn't see a lot of problems with the way it is managed. Poor management would have been planning for the game to go 15 innings.

doublem23
07-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I think there's a lot of blame to go around, but ultimately, if MLB is going to insist that the game "count" and not end in a tie, then the managers have to stop treating the game like a Little League game and play as many players as possible. If only 4-5 pitchers have to work, so be it. If the game is going to count, though, then they need to stop fan voting for the starting line-up. If they must have fan voting, then it should be for a guaranteed spot on the team, but not neccessarily a starting roll. If the managers are going to be forced to have to play to win then they should have greater control over their roster and lineup.

Hopefully last night's near debacle forces the MLB to tweak the All-Star Game so they finally pick whether they want it to be an showcase for all the best players or an actual baseball game, but you can't go both ways.

getonbckthr
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I think for the rosters it should only 2 guys per position. The AL had I think 4 third basemen and 3 catchers. Limit it to the 2 best at each position and you can add 3 pitchers to the game. Oh and after extra innings re-entry is allowed but can only be subbed in an injury situation.

downstairs
07-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I didn't see a lot of problems with the way it is managed. Poor management would have been planning for the game to go 15 innings.

Francona pitched most of his pitchers 1 inning. That is lame. 3 innings each, then when you get to relievers 1 inning unless its going real long. He'd have had enough for the 20th inning.

getonbckthr
07-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Francona pitched most of his pitchers 1 inning. That is lame. 3 innings each, then when you get to relievers 1 inning unless its going real long. He'd have had enough for the 20th inning.
He was honoring the guys for their 1st half efforts. I will never question an all-star manager for playing everyone.

Madvora
07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I wasn't paying that much attention to what the NL did, but I thought it was a bad decision to bring in Rivera so early. I knew there was a chance that the game could go on for a long time, but Francona was really blowing through his players before the bottom of the ninth.

itsnotrequired
07-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Why plan on a game going 20 innings? It isn't done for regular games or postseason games. Why do it in the ASG?

TornLabrum
07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Why plan on a game going 20 innings? It isn't done for regular games or postseason games. Why do it in the ASG?

And even if you do go 20 innings in a regular seasno game, you'll probably resort to using your long relief people, the ones who are the most expendable on your team. You're not using somebody else's all-star pitcher. The goal of the manager in the All-Star Game should be to minimize risk to other teams' pitchers.

doublem23
07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Selig claims he spoke to Hurdle and Francona before the game and told them specifically the game would be played to its bitter end and to use their pitchers wisely.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080715&content_id=3138003&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp

Medford Bobby
07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Selig claims he spoke to Hurdle and Francona before the game and told them specifically the game would be played to its bitter end and to use their pitchers wisely.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080715&content_id=3138003&vkey=allstar2008&fext=.jsp
Thank God that won't be a problem for Ozzie next year!!:D: