PDA

View Full Version : Picture of the Night

nasox
07-16-2008, 02:30 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/07/15/sports/16allstar06_600.jpg

TCQ is the man. Not just the man. But THE man.

kevingrt
07-16-2008, 06:34 AM
He even was motioning for Morneau to slid to the right side of homeplate. Great job all around. But the game itself was a drag.

SoxGirl4Life
07-16-2008, 07:08 AM
And its the last time this season someone in a Sox uniform will be hugging someone in a Twins uniform.

cws05champ
07-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Nice pic....I was hoping that TCQ would have won it in one of his last three AB's though.

doublem23
07-16-2008, 07:34 AM
And its the last time this season someone in a Sox uniform will be hugging someone in a Twins uniform.

I was kind of hoping it'd be like the celebration scene with Dorn and Wild Thing in Major League. Quentin grabs Morneau, slugs him in the face, and then they hug.

BRDSR
07-16-2008, 07:44 AM
He even was motioning for Morneau to slid to the right side of homeplate. Great job all around. But the game itself was a drag.

Really? I have to admit I didn't stay up to watch the whole thing (did anyone?) but I thought the highlights were pretty exciting. One play at the plate to save the game, another to end the game. Every player, and especially the pitchers, playing their hearts out. I do agree with another post though, now glad none of our pitchers were selected; you know it would have been Jenks or Danks or something who had to go 2+ innings.

I couldn't help feeling bad for Uggla though. I've never heard a bad word about the guy, but three errors in an All-Star game cannot feel good (even if none led to an unearned run).

Law11
07-16-2008, 07:52 AM
I turned it off as it went to the 10th...
The implications on if it went to the 16th would have been crazy...

Positon players pitching, and Kazmir in the field?
According to the radio this morning there were no more position players left and Kazmir would have had to play the field instead of pitch another inning as he pitched 100+ on Sunday.

peeonwrigley
07-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I was kind of hoping it'd be like the celebration scene with Dorn and Wild Thing in Major League. Quentin grabs Morneau, slugs him in the face, and then they hug.

Ha, that's exactly what I was thinking last night :D:

Madvora
07-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Carlos Quentin definitely hit like he was out there representing the Sox.

I was glad it didn't come down to him again.

GAsoxfan
07-16-2008, 08:43 AM
The game should have been over in the 11th. The umps blew the call on Kinsler's steal and (IMO) on the Navarro play at the plate.

BRDSR
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
The game should have been over in the 11th. The umps blew the call on Kinsler's steal and (IMO) on the Navarro play at the plate.

Meh...that was a classic case of maybe the leg got in there before the glove actually touched Navarro, but the catcher's leg was blocking the blate and the ball beat the runner to a position in front of the plate. On a slo-mo replay you can make an argument for him being safe, but that's going to be an out every single time. I thought it was a fine call.

Rocky Soprano
07-16-2008, 09:19 AM

I thought it was a great game.
I stayed up and caught the whole game.

turners56
07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/07/15/sports/16allstar06_600.jpg

TCQ is the man. Not just the man. But THE man.

What's funny is that he and Morneau hugged at the end. You won't ever see that happen again for the rest of the season.

PaleHoser
07-16-2008, 09:32 AM
I couldn't help feeling bad for Uggla though. I've never heard a bad word about the guy, but three errors in an All-Star game cannot feel good (even if none led to an unearned run).

Don't forget three strikeouts and a ground into a double play too.

I was hoping he'd homer his last at-bat and have the AL come back in the bottom half with two to win.

J.D. Drew for MVP is a complete joke. I would have given it to Aaron Cook for pitching three innings with the winning run on third in all three innings. The job he did with bases loaded and no outs was awesome, just sheer guts. He deserved the trophy.

As for position players pitching, just think if someone would have pulled a Canseco and blew out his elbow mopping up in an All-Star game...

Iwritecode
07-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Meh...that was a classic case of maybe the leg got in there before the glove actually touched Navarro, but the catcher's leg was blocking the blate and the ball beat the runner to a position in front of the plate. On a slo-mo replay you can make an argument for him being safe, but that's going to be an out every single time. I thought it was a fine call.

The tag was really high on him. His foot was already over home plate by the time the glove touched him. He was safe.

I hate when umpires make up their mind about a play before it's over simply because the ball got there first.

RTI_SoxFan
07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
What's funny is that he and Morneau hugged at the end. You won't ever see that happen again for the rest of the season.

It was sort of an awkward hug too... funny!

I enjoyed the game and watched every pitch from the 7th inning on. Very entertaining!

whitesox901
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Really? I have to admit I didn't stay up to watch the whole thing (did anyone?)

I did, and im in the Eastern Time Zone

hawkjt
07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Yes, All-Star games make for strange bedfellows..so to speak.
TCQ was truly excited and so it was to be expected.
Can't say that Morneau is a prick,really, altho he has had a few choice comments about the Sox in the past. Just hoping he will go into a second half slump after winning that HR contest.

TCQ is struggling a bit it seems right now...wish he had gotten the big hit last nite to boost his stroke.

hi im skot
07-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Yes, All-Star games make for strange bedfellows..so to speak.
TCQ was truly excited and so it was to be expected.
Can't say that Morneau is a prick,really, altho he has had a few choice comments about the Sox in the past. Just hoping he will go into a second half slump after winning that HR contest.

TCQ is struggling a bit it seems right now...wish he had gotten the big hit last nite to boost his stroke.

Both Crede and Quentin seemed to be spending a lot of time on the bench with Morneau. I would have to assume he's probably a pretty decent guy.

havelj
07-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Is that Giuliani is the suit and blue tie?

EuroSox35
07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

A drag for Quentin, but I enjoyed the game overall, good pitching, good D except for one guy (heh), I liked it

DumpJerry
07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Both Crede and Quentin seemed to be spending a lot of time on the bench with Morneau. I would have to assume he's probably a pretty decent guy.
They were grilling him trying to get Timberwolf's home phone number.

EuroSox35
07-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Yes

PatK
07-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Nothing would have been better than if Carlos got the game winning hit off Marmol.

PaleHoser
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM

Nice catch!

Could there be anything worse than watching a baseball game in a jacket and tie? I'd rather stay home, even if the tickets were free.

Uncle_Patrick
07-16-2008, 10:59 AM

[Leslie timberwolf] Quentin was trying tackle Morneau because he a dirty player, like all White Sox players and everyone from Chicago. Th Sox rather see the AL lose than have a Twin score the winning run. Ha ha, joke on you, Chicago! Minnesota now has home-field advantage in teh World Series! You will finish in 3rd place andthe great columist Jay Marriotti will write about what jerks you are. Now, if only Terry Bevington would manage the Twins...[/ Leslie timberwolf]

areilly
07-16-2008, 11:08 AM
A White Sox outfielder who just went 0-for-the-night waiting his turn as a Twins infielder scores the winning run on a great slide. Part of me dies just thinking about it.

tstrike2000
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
A drag for Quentin, but I enjoyed the game overall, good pitching, good D except for one guy (heh), I liked it

Not as big of a drag as Dan Uggla as he pulled off the hat trick both in the field and at the plate.

hi im skot
07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Nice catch!

Could there be anything worse than watching a baseball game in a jacket and tie? I'd rather stay home, even if the tickets were free.

itsnotrequired disagrees with this.

itsnotrequired
07-16-2008, 12:00 PM
itsnotrequired disagrees with this.

jackets are for sux. ties cast a glow of class from all whom wear them.

tacosalbarojas
07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
What's funny is that he and Morneau hugged at the end. You won't ever see that happen again for the rest of the season.Especially considering it was Justin "anybody but the White Sox" Morneau.

getonbckthr
07-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I turned it off as it went to the 10th...
The implications on if it went to the 16th would have been crazy...

Positon players pitching, and Kazmir in the field?
According to the radio this morning there were no more position players left and Kazmir would have had to play the field instead of pitch another inning as he pitched 100+ on Sunday.
This woulda made no sense. Longoria was the DH. Couldn't they put Longoria at pitcher? Kazmir would be out of the game as the DH is null and void if he comes into the field and then the pitcher must bat.

whitesox901
07-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Yessum

turners56
07-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Navarro was clearly out. There should of been a pinch runner. But, because this is the ASG, nobody was left on the bench...so that didn't happen.

Iwritecode
07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Navarro was clearly out.

Nope.