PDA

View Full Version : mike greenberg

sox230
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
I always thought that Greenie was a Sox fan, and I think some people on this board have said so. However, in the celebrity softball game, he was sporting cubbie blue. Is it that he is ashmaned to wear sox stuff since all celebrities turn out to be cubs fans, or has he lied to us over the years?

twentywontowin
07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Greenberg has always openly admitted his love for the Cubs.

soxpride724
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Greenie goes which ever way the wind is blowing.

I want Mags back
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I thought he was a Yankees fan. Hes from Connecticut, but went to Northwestern

SoxNation05
07-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I know he is from the east and a big Jets fan but that pissed me off seeing him in Cubbie blue.

Over By There
07-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I've heard him, on numerous occasions, recount his love for going to Wrigley when he was going to Northwestern. In fact, I think they've done their show from Wrigley a few times on Opening Day. I've never thought of him as a Sox fan in the slightest. He is fond of Chicago, to be sure (and is particularly quick to wax rhapsodic about the Bulls championship years), but I don't think he cares much about the Sox.

PatK
07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Who cares? He's a dork.

I always thought he was a Cubs fan anyways.

skottyj242
07-15-2008, 02:26 PM
He used to work for CLTV so I think his Cub loyalty came from there.

Jaffar
07-15-2008, 02:30 PM
He's always been 100% Cub fan. Where you heard otherwise is beyond me. He openly talks about the Jets and the Cubs often.

spawn
07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
His AL team is the Yankees, while his NL love goes to the Cubs.

Sockinchisox
07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Anyone see Denton wearing the Dodger cap yesterday instead of the Sox hat he wore at every other celebrity softball game?

cbrownson13
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I know he is from the east and a big Jets fan but that pissed me off seeing him in Cubbie blue.

It pissed you off? Why?

This Cubs obsession is ridiculous when people are getting pissed off for people wearing Cubs hats.

Gimmie a break.

asindc
07-15-2008, 03:23 PM
He's always been 100% Cub fan. Where you heard otherwise is beyond me. He openly talks about the Jets and the Cubs often.

Many have heard from Greenberg himself on his show on many occasions. Now if you are the type of Sox fan who automatically dismisses someone's expressed fondness for the Sox because they say complimentary things about the Cubs, then I guess I understand why you would question his sincerity. Me, even if he is not sincere about liking the Sox, I'd rather he pretend to be than bash the Sox every chance he got on his nationally-broadcast television show.

asindc
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
It pissed you off? Why?

This Cubs obsession is ridiculous when people are getting pissed off for people wearing Cubs hats.

Gimmie a break.

What he said.:thumbsup:

Frontman
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
It pissed you off? Why?

Gimmie a break.

Put me down in support of this. If Greenberg is a Cubs fan; that's fine. Just don't pull the "jump the line" routine and all of a sudden be wearing a Sox hat if they make the playoffs and the Cubs don't.

Remain loyal to your team, don't be a bandwagoneer.

mark2olson
07-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Mike and Mike's self-centered shtick, IMHO, lost most of its entertainment value if it ever had any. I find them neither funny or informative and ceased listening to them years ago. The colors they wear, the teams they support, the cows that they milk; none of them make any difference to me.

spawn
07-15-2008, 03:56 PM
It pissed you off? Why?

Gimmie a break.

Put me down in support of this. If Greenberg is a Cubs fan; that's fine. Just don't pull the "jump the line" routine and all of a sudden be wearing a Sox hat if they make the playoffs and the Cubs don't.

Remain loyal to your team, don't be a bandwagoneer.

Word to you all.

mrfourni
07-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Mike and Mike's self-centered shtick, IMHO, lost most of its entertainment value if it ever had any. I find them neither funny or informative and ceased listening to them years ago. The colors they wear, the teams they support, the cows that they milk; none of them make any difference to me.

I actually like Greenberg. I think he's an unbiased and well informed fan of sports. Golic, on the other hand, is a talentless, admitted steroid using meathead. I have no respect for his opinion as a player.

Jaffar
07-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Many have heard from Greenberg himself on his show on many occasions. Now if you are the type of Sox fan who automatically dismisses someone's expressed fondness for the Sox because they say complimentary things about the Cubs, then I guess I understand why you would question his sincerity. Me, even if he is not sincere about liking the Sox, I'd rather he pretend to be than bash the Sox every chance he got on his nationally-broadcast television show.

I'm not so sure why this was directed towards me as I didn't say he bashed the Sox in any way shape or form. Greenberg is a Cubs fan, he would say so himself and he does on his show and has never called himself a Sox fan even when complimenting the Sox. His opinion is generally unbiased and he will compliment any team in any sport that deserves it and I personally like Greenberg but was just stating the fact that he says on his nationally broadcast show that he is indeed a Cub fan.

asindc
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm not so sure why this was directed towards me as I didn't say he bashed the Sox in any way shape or form. Greenberg is a Cubs fan, he would say so himself and he does on his show. His opinion is generally unbiased and he will compliment any team in any sport that deserves it and I personally like Greenberg but was just stating the fact that he says on his nationally broadcast show that he is indeed a Cub fan.

I was only commenting on your statement about not understanding where people got the idea Greenberg was a Sox fan. He has said many times he has a "rooting" interest in the Sox.

kittle42
07-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Who ****ing cares what celebrity wears which hat? Just dumb.

PennStater98r
07-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Who's Mike Greenblah?

:D:

I ever mention to you guys how I dislike ESPN Radio?

MarySwiss
07-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Who cares? He's a dork.

I always thought he was a Cubs fan anyways.
DORK!!! YES!! Thank you!!

I never could quite put into words what my opinion of him is, but that is the perfect term.

Brian26
07-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Greenberg was actually pretty funny when did some live remotes on CLTV back in '95 and '96.

Greenberg always roots for the Sox when American League discussion comes up because Golic is a big Indians fan. I've always liked him because he's able to be an articulate sports fan without being snobby (ie Bernstein), so in that sense he's a rare breed.

slavko
07-16-2008, 01:09 AM
Greenberg was actually pretty funny when did some live remotes on CLTV back in '95 and '96.

Greenberg always roots for the Sox when American League discussion comes up because Golic is a big Indians fan. I've always liked him because he's able to be an articulate sports fan without being snobby (ie Bernstein), so in that sense he's a rare breed.

Who isn't?

Nellie_Fox
07-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Who isn't?Who isn't an articulate sports fan? Do you read the posts on sports boards? :o:

asindc
07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Who isn't an articulate sports fan? Do you read the posts on sports boards? :o:

Lol!:D:

veeter
07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Who cares? He's a dork.

I always thought he was a Cubs fan anyways.Exactly. Just look at him. His look screams cub fan. Preppie, yuppie, metro-sexual.

kittle42
07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Exactly. Just look at him. His look screams cub fan. Preppie, yuppie, metro-sexual.

This is the same type of stereotyping that has all Sox fans being toothless, uncultured trailer-home dwellers.

Uncle_Patrick
07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Why does it matter who Mike Greenberg roots for?:scratch:

SSSoxFan
07-16-2008, 01:52 PM
He is a Cubs fan. However he does like Ozzie and stands up for Ozzie especially when Peter Gammons slams Ozzie.

Peter Gammons can't stand Ozzie!!!

PalehosePlanet
07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Anyone see Denton wearing the Dodger cap yesterday instead of the Sox hat he wore at every other celebrity softball game?

That's because he was on the "National League" softball team. Had he been on the AL team he probably would worn a Sox hat.

Also George Lopez who is a Sox fan was on the NL team and therefore wore a Pirates hat.

I'm guessing had Greenberg been on the AL side he would have worn a Sox hat (Golic was AL.)

Gremlin3
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
He's a yankees fan and a cubs fan. As others said, he worked for CLTV, went to northwestern and his wife is from Chicago and she is a cubs fan. I have no problem with him.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-17-2008, 08:11 AM
He told a story today about being seated next to Sandberg at the White House dinner the other night, and about his (Greenberg's) watching the Cubs clinch in 1989 at a bar in Chicago "with other Cubs fans." It doesn't go as deep as his fandom of the Jets, and he doesn't ignore or hate the Sox.

peeonwrigley
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
This is the same type of stereotyping that has all Sox fans being toothless, uncultured trailer-home dwellers.

Exactly.

(And everyone knows that description really works for Cardinals fans.)

spawn
07-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm guessing had Greenberg been on the AL side he would have worn a Sox hat (Golic was AL.)
He's a Yankee fan, so he probably would've sported a Yankees cap.